What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2016 Dynasty Startup Drafts*** (1 Viewer)

i like looking at these drafts to see where the rookie picks fall.  thanks for posting them.

:converse:
I'll start off.  A few takeaways:

1.  The Kevin White love is shocking.  He missed the whole year and seems to have gained value (2nd/3rd round).  Too much uncertainty for me.

2.  There is a lot of later round value at RB.

3. People seem to be figuring out taking a QB early is the fastest way to start your team in a hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heep said:
I'm not a big fan of these drafts because they are mocks.  The ones I posted are startup league drafts.  I feel like people try things in mocks they wouldn't do in a real draft.
I think it definitely goes both ways. In real drafts you get more reaches, and in mock drafts you get more people experimenting. In a mock a lot of people go by the numbers. It's the people doing it every month who might try something new each time.

This is a 14-team league. PPR with 1.5 TE premium and 6 point QB TDs. I'm Gainesville Khan Artists.

QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, 2 Flex

Depth is pretty important with 14 teams and the extra flex, so there's a higher value on picks on the 80-120 range than normal.

http://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=69751&O=17
Gio and Latavius between 1.06 and 1.07. No one in my league would pay any better than a late 2nd either so I'm surprised to see that others are valuing them there. I agree with the value myself. 

Gio and Latavius between 1.06 and 1.07. No one in my league would pay any better than a late 2nd either so I'm surprised to see that others are valuing them there. I agree with the value myself. 
Personally, I think rookie picks have been undervalued. From 1.02 on, they've been below ADP. I think the depth in this league has people wanting safe choices to start now. 

I think it definitely goes both ways. In real drafts you get more reaches, and in mock drafts you get more people experimenting. In a mock a lot of people go by the numbers. It's the people doing it every month who might try something new each time.
I cannot speak for the other drafters participating in the mocks, but the way I approach drafting in a mock is the same as how I would try to build a team in a start up draft.

I drafted from the one spot in January and February so I was able to work on the same strategy for both drafts, which was to try to build a team ready to win now, since with the highest overall draft capital I was in a better position to accomplish that that other teams with later draft position. I didn't draft any rookies in those two drafts (they were available in the second one) because my focus was not as youth centered, although I do like to start as young as possible when the value allows it.

I documented those drafts in the ADP thread since they were both from the same draft position. I liked my January draft a bit better than the draft in February where I think I got lucky having Baldwin fall so far or that second draft may have been even worse. Funny how that happens as I felt I should have been able to assemble a better team the second time around with more early picks being used on rookies, causing the veteran draft pool to be a bit deeper.

In the April draft I participated in I had the 8th draft pick. So I was able to build a very different team. I started off with four young WR I feel confident in becoming very good NFL players. Because of that the rest of my draft became more focused on youth, I took some risks on players and so the draft was very different from the first two I did. But I think it is good to be flexible and let the draft come to you. Once it does then you want to focus your strategy and improve your odds of its execution.

One mistake I admit is predrafting too many defenses together and ending up picking two in a row drafting from the one spot. In a real draft I would likely make everyone else wait awhile longer for my next pick at the turn.

Pretty crazy drafting in this one.  I am pretty sure no one I know would take 1.02 rookie over AJ Green.  Lots of young players going very high on the draft if they don't pan out those teams will be in trouble.
Yeah he messed up. He had his predraft set up and went to sleep (he was on night shift or in Austrila?) but he messed up his predraft list. The draft moved on and he woke up to having the 1.02 instead of Green. He wasn't too happy but he just moved on instead on making it a big deal since it was technically his fault. 

Separate draft after vet draft is over. Drew a random draft order which allowed us to choose draft spots in the vet draft. Rookie draft is the opposite order of the vet draft.
I have to believe picks 31 and 32 were the top 2 picks by the guys who had #1 and #2 choices.  I had the same situation in a 2012 startup with the same rules in a 16 team startup and I got so "unlucky" because I got the #1 choice and took the 16 slot because that was a no brainer right with Trent Richardson in the rookie draft who was going in the mid 1st round of startups that had both vets combined with rookies. 

Also this type of league would add more strategy to drafting and trading it would seem as knowing there are 2 copies of every player if you wanted a guy and both copies were still on the board you could trade down knowing he would have to go twice to miss out.  Also if you happened to hold both 1.01 and 1.02 rookie picks in a year like this from previous years trades you could trade 1 of them for as much as you could get knowing you get the player you want anyway.  

I assume no team can have both copies of the same player but everything else is pretty much the same as a standard league would this be correct ?

Bumped for the 5 new Startups that include rookies that I listed the links for in the OP.  All of them started May 1.  

jeaton6 said:
Number 21 and 4 are particularly brutal. I mean the guy who took Zeke 1 overall basically moved up from 1.7 to 1.1 for close to free and maybe he figured wtf.
I agree with you on that. There have been even worse ones offered, I was offered a 3.04 and 6.09 for my 1.02 and 10.11. The offers were so bad initially that I was starting to wonder if I was just crazy over valuing things. I can't believe what people think are acceptable offers. I get the feeling a few of them are going all in and will fold next year if they lose because now there are a lot of future picks being offered.

I agree with you on that. There have been even worse ones offered, I was offered a 3.04 and 6.09 for my 1.02 and 10.11. The offers were so bad initially that I was starting to wonder if I was just crazy over valuing things. I can't believe what people think are acceptable offers. I get the feeling a few of them are going all in and will fold next year if they lose because now there are a lot of future picks being offered.
Hopefully Commish put clauses in that teams trading away future picks (1st or 2nd bare min) have to pay a deposit (at a minimum) for next year. If not, above is a stark reality.

Hopefully Commish put clauses in that teams trading away future picks (1st or 2nd bare min) have to pay a deposit (at a minimum) for next year. If not, above is a stark reality.
FFLS league unfortunately so no, there is no such clause I don't think

I have to believe picks 31 and 32 were the top 2 picks by the guys who had #1 and #2 choices.  I had the same situation in a 2012 startup with the same rules in a 16 team startup and I got so "unlucky" because I got the #1 choice and took the 16 slot because that was a no brainer right with Trent Richardson in the rookie draft who was going in the mid 1st round of startups that had both vets combined with rookies. 

Also this type of league would add more strategy to drafting and trading it would seem as knowing there are 2 copies of every player if you wanted a guy and both copies were still on the board you could trade down knowing he would have to go twice to miss out.  Also if you happened to hold both 1.01 and 1.02 rookie picks in a year like this from previous years trades you could trade 1 of them for as much as you could get knowing you get the player you want anyway.  

I assume no team can have both copies of the same player but everything else is pretty much the same as a standard league would this be correct ?
Yep no team can own both copies

rustycolts said:
This is a MFL 10,probably has everything to do with it.I just wanted to get some practice in and see where players are going before I start drafting for FBGPC and MFLs Fantasy championship.
Oh didn't catch it was a MFL10. Wrong thread I think

Users who are viewing this thread