What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Hunter Henry, NE (2 Viewers)

Pro Football Focus analyst Michael Renner noted that Arkansas TE Hunter Henry "leaves a bit to be desired" after he catches the ball.

As Renner points out, Henry broke a mere four tackles and averaged just 4.7 yards after the catch in 2015. That being said, he still ranks the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder as the No. 1 tight end in this (admittedly down) class, writing, "Speed, athleticism, hands, route-running—he has it all. The biggest knock is simply that he’s not necessarily "elite" at any of those things." A scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in February is turned off by the lack of pure upside. Said the evaluator, "he's not a dynamic, special athlete, difference-maker like some of the tight ends that have come out recently." 
Mar 26 - 3:50 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Arkansas TE Hunter Henry as the No. 55 overall prospect in the NFL Draft.

"As of now, a true role player as a receiving tight end," Norris wrote. "If a target is in his catch radius, Henry will bring it in. Will not be a complete tight end, there are very few in the NFL, but Henry needs to be at least willing and adequate as a blocker in order to stay on the field. Has been used from practically every alignment." An NFL scout recently told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that he doesn't see Henry as worthy of a first-round pick. Former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus calls the 6-foot-5, 253-pound former Razorback a "terrible blocker." 
Mar 13 - 7:06 PM

Source: Rotoworld

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel indicated that he does not see Arkansas TE Hunter Henry as worthy of a first-round pick.

Said the scout, "He's not a dynamic, special athlete, difference-maker like some of the tight ends that have come out recently. Like Eric Ebron or Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz or Travis Kelce. All those guys had more athletic-receiver traits than this guy." The 6-foot-5, 253-pounder's not completely reviled in the scouting community, though, with another scout telling the Journal-Sentinel that he sees Henry as a "complete tight end." That scout sees him as more of a receiver than a blocker. Henry's blocking ability has been one of the more under-the-radar points of contention about a prospect to this point. Former NFL scout Bryan Broaddus has deemed the former Razorback a "terrible blocker," while NFL Media's Lance Zierlein called him a "rare blocking talent." You're not going to see much more of a disparity in opinion about an aspect of a player's game than that. 
Mar 3 - 6:07 PM

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

NFL Draft Scout's Frank Cooney thinks that with better in-line blocking, Arkansas TE Hunter Henry would serve as the complete package.
"With excellent size, athleticism and extraordinary ball skills," Cooney wrote, "Henry needs only to improve his in-line blocking to be a well-rounded tight end." The analyst went so far as to compare his catching ability to that of Jason Witten, noting that Henry, like Witten, possesses a sure set of hands (Henry did not drop a pass last season). In late March, an NFL scout called him a "legitimate first-round pick," but the second round could be a more likely play here. Despite those strong hands that Cooney loves, the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder broke just four tackles in 2015. As Pro Football focus analyst Michael Renner put it, he "leaves a bit to be desired" once the ball is in his hands.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 8 - 7:21 PM

Arkansas TE Hunter Henry indicated on Sirius XM NFL Radio that the only official visit he has logged was with the Chicago Bears.
In a thin tight end class, Hunter's lack of official love is somewhat peculiar. He said that he had worked out for five to six teams, but the Bears have served as his lone visit. It's not like there hasn't been buzz around the 6-foot-5, 250-pounder, either. An NFL scout who spoke with NJ.com in March believes that Henry has a legitimate claim to the first round, while NFL Draft Scout's Frank Cooney sees him as a complete package at the position.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio on Twitter

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah notes Arkansas TE Hunter Henry "is starting to gain some steam in personnel circles."
Henry is widely viewed as the No. 1 tight end prospect in this class, but it is difficult to know if that means a late first round pick or even late second round. Henry is a very comfortable receiver who boasts average athleticism. However, he was used from every alignment, made a number of difficult catches and shows a willingness to block. Jeremiah projects Henry to the Texans at No. 22 overall. Henry likely starts the run on tight ends.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 15 - 9:38 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the next Heath Miller.
I think that's overrating him.  He is a solid pass catcher, can't break through tackles well, and is not a great blocker.  Heath was a great pass catcher and a great blocker.  I saw Henry get bulled over by mid-size linebackers and frequently when he was the key block that lead to the play getting shut down.

An NFL scout said of Arkansas TE Hunter Henry: "Heath Miller is a good comparison."
"At least he does it (block), and he does it pretty well," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "You hit on him, he's going to be a good player." Henry had 116 receptions for 1,661 yards (14.3) and nine scores at Arkansas. "Very soft hands," one scout said. "Good route runner. Gets open consistently. Really good size and can get bigger and stronger to play on the line of scrimmage. He may not be the athlete that Tyler Eifert is but a similar type receiver." A third scout said Henry "can catch the heck out of it" and can "give you enough (blocking) to be a pain in the (expletive)." Chimed in a fourth scout: "He's not a dynamic, special-athlete, difference-maker like Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz or Travis Kelce."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Apr 21 - 9:51 PM

I think that's overrating him.  He is a solid pass catcher, can't break through tackles well, and is not a great blocker.  Heath was a great pass catcher and a great blocker.  I saw Henry get bulled over by mid-size linebackers and frequently when he was the key block that lead to the play getting shut down.
Completely agree, half of the reason we knew who Heath Miller was is because of his blocking(before the injuries at least).

That's like saying Hackenberg is just like Cam Newton...... you know, without any mobility to overcome his OL and no rushing threat. So, a strong arm that is sometimes erratic with his accuracy,

I do think that Henry fell to an ideal team.  He'll have a year to learn from one of the greats, and then can be the lead TE on a team that's known to use the TE as a main pass catching target.  Also, it's a solid pick for SD, even though they needed O-line and D help.

I do think that Henry fell to an ideal team.  He'll have a year to learn from one of the greats, and then can be the lead TE on a team that's known to use the TE as a main pass catching target.  Also, it's a solid pick for SD, even though they needed O-line and D help.
Yeah, he's a great fit in SD.  TE has been the 1A or 1B option in the passing game for a decade, and yet some Charger fans are acting like going into next season with only a 36 yr old Gates was okay.  

Henry will be on the field a LOT this year even in 1 TE sets and Whiz will surely come up with some unique 2 TE sets that gives Rivers some mismatches to exploit.

Very excited as a Charger fan. 

This is actually a bad thing when considering fantasy football needs. A complete Tight End means the guy can block as well as catch. On the good side, that means he will see the field a whole lot. On the bad end, that means they will ask him to block a whole lot. Guys who are "complete Tight Ends" tend to end up being either crappy or average fantasy TE's. That have much more value in real NFL terms than fantasy football terms.

I don't see any reason to draft this guy in redraft leagues unless you take Gates. I won't be looking for him in my dynasty leagues unless he really drops in the draft which I think is doubtful as people tend to draft the 'best' player at a position fairly early even if it is not valuable at that spot.

Two more year with Gates, right?

Promising player & situation but how many years with Rivers?
This is likely Gates last year.  He signed a two year extension, but it only costs the Chargers like $500k to cut him next spring if he doesn't retire.  

If Henry is as good as advertised, he's get 50% of the snaps immediately, and likely more as the season wears on and Gates is either fatigued or injured. For 2-3 years now the Charger have crossed their fingers that Green would take on a bigger role but he failed repeatedly.

I seriously doubt the Chargers will cut Gates if he doesn't retire after this season. I think records matter to Gates, and he will be close enough to some milestones that he will return in 2017. 

Aside from that, in reading through the stuff posted in this thread, I am left thinking his upside is capped at Heath Miller. IMO that is not worthy of the 35th pick in the draft, when the Chargers have multiple bigger needs, and Henry was not clearly BPA over others available at that pick. 

I'd be shocked if Henry gets 25 catches this year ... draft him now for 2017/2018 but Gates is going to be TE1 ..... 

exactly right - short of a season ending injury for Gates or retirement, he's not going to willingly give up playing time for a rookie

Gates needs 8 touchdown receptions to become the all time career td leader for tight ends.  Rivers has already said that is a team goal this year.  The team's website has a player page for gates that says he only needs 8 tds to break the record.  I am pretty sure they are going to try to break the record.

After that, though, gates will likely retire. So i would say henry starts getting those looks in 2017, maybe 2018.  And by all accounts henry's playing well and getting Rivers' trust now so he should get a few catches this year too.

Gates needs 8 touchdown receptions to become the all time career td leader for tight ends.  Rivers has already said that is a team goal this year.  The team's website has a player page for gates that says he only needs 8 tds to break the record.  I am pretty sure they are going to try to break the record.

After that, though, gates will likely retire. So i would say henry starts getting those looks in 2017, maybe 2018.  And by all accounts henry's playing well and getting Rivers' trust now so he should get a few catches this year too.
Henry in from 20 to 20, Gates in from the Red Zone?

Henry in from 20 to 20, Gates in from the Red Zone?
I doubt it.  Gates is still good, and henry is still a rookie.  So they can ease henry in on packages or plays he is comfortable with.  I would rather have gates out there on third down to catch and i would probably rather have henry in on first down to run block. 25 catches maybe.  

Henry is going to get plenty of snaps. All indications are that the team will use 2 TE sets much more often this year. But Gates will likely still run at least twice as many routes as Henry, and Gates will also be targeted on a higher percentage of his routes.

Agree that Henry's dynasty value is 2017 or 2018. Unfortunately for Henry's value, by the time he gets to TE1, Rivers may only have a couple years left.

Idk, people kept saying that for Green.  Might be more like draft him for 2019...
Gates is 36 this year, he could keep going a few more years, but there's a good chance he's gone after this year too.  Even the ageless Tony Gonzalez only played until he was 37.  I'd put my money on Henry getting his chance next year even if Gates is still around.

Henry is going to get plenty of snaps. All indications are that the team will use 2 TE sets much more often this year. But Gates will likely still run at least twice as many routes as Henry, and Gates will also be targeted on a higher percentage of his routes.

Agree that Henry's dynasty value is 2017 or 2018. Unfortunately for Henry's value, by the time he gets to TE1, Rivers may only have a couple years left.
So he gets a few years of rivers, and perhaps they've drafted his heir this year as well in mike bercovicci (I don't know if I spelled that right, took a shot.) Being able to take a rookie that should be on the fast track to a starting gig with a solid qb for a couple years seems like a better deal than most young tes. He was cheap earlier this year in my dyno drafts, worth the pick IMO. 

So he gets a few years of rivers, and perhaps they've drafted his heir this year as well in mike bercovicci (I don't know if I spelled that right, took a shot.) Being able to take a rookie that should be on the fast track to a starting gig with a solid qb for a couple years seems like a better deal than most young tes. He was cheap earlier this year in my dyno drafts, worth the pick IMO. 
They didn't draft Bercovici, he is a UDFA. I very strongly doubt he is the successor to Rivers.

That aside, I agree Henry will probably be the primary TE in 2018 at the latest, likely in 2017. He will probably have a new coaching staff next year and may have a new QB within a few seasons, so hard to project his dynasty value. But I suppose that is true for many players.

Week 1 preseason grades

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685442/article/week-1-preseason-grades-paxton-lynch-among-top-afc-rookies

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: Hunter Henry, tight end. The Chargers' rookie tight end served notice to future opponents that he could be a major contributor to the offense as the TE2 behind Antonio Gates. The second-round pick is a crafty route runner with strong hands and superb ball skills, which makes him an ideal complement to Gates down in the red zone. He finished Saturday's matchup against the Titans with three catches for 43 yards, showing coach Mike McCoy that he is more than capable of assuming a bigger role in the game plan with receiver Stevie Johnson sidelined for the year. GRADE: B

hearing on the Under the Helmet podcast (i.e., Chad Parsons) that Gates has been slow off of the line in weeks 1 and 2, and now he's officially hobbled. this doesn't seem like a good way to start the season, so i'm considering alternate options in my dynasty league; was hoping to get another TE1 season out of gates but maybe it's not in the cards?

He's head and shoulders better than Gates right now. Gates took PEDs last year to keep from falling apart. Within another few weeks, Hunter will be seeing at least half if not all the TE snaps as Gates last tread on his tires wears off. I love Gates as a Charger fan....but the time has come. There is a reason why the Chargers drafted Hunter early in the 2nd round and the first TE in the draft.

Rolling with Burton over gates this week.  I will be watching henry close though.  If he does well I may pick him up

wormburner said:
Lost Ertz, picked up Jesse James (Henry available on ww).

It sounds like the Eagles and Colts are at opposite ends of the TE defense spectrum, so . . . . .

If Gates sits, yes.
It's showtime!

Anyone starting him this week? Considering dropping D. Allen for him. Love the NO match up. My only concern is that betting on rookie TEs is always dicey, and I could find myself in a week or two with a backup TE and no good WW options (14 team league). 

Users who are viewing this thread