Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: TE Hunter Henry, Los Angeles Chargers

Isn't he one of their better players?  How do you not attempt one pass to him?

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Isn't he one of their better players?  How do you not attempt one pass to him?

Seems clear they are doing everything to get Gates the TD record even though Henry is a better option now.

• Like 1

ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams expects sophomore Hunter Henry to be the Chargers' "main tight end" this season.

Henry took over the role in spurts last season, but he still played slightly fewer snaps than Antonio Gates on the whole. Williams expects that to change this year with Gates "being saved" for third downs and the red zone. After posting a 36/478/8 line last season, Henry should better his catch and yardage totals as a sophomore, but touchdowns could be a different story if Gates is able to stay on the field.

Source: ESPN 
May 30 - 11:05 AM

3 hours ago, Faust said:

In limited playing time in 2016, Gates had 18 red zone targets (7 TD), tied for 12th in the NFL among all pass-catchers.  Hunter Henry had 16 red zone targets (7 TD).  Gates was 2nd in the NFL in TE red zone targets behind Kyle Rudolph (24).  All while the Chargers were doing pretty much everything in their power to get Gates the TD record.

Not too worried about Hunter getting his share; I would be shocked if his share doesn't increase.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/redzone-receiving.htm

I was more bullish on Henry before Mike Williams was drafted - Gates IMO is only a short term obstacle until he gets the TD record.

A lot of solid receiving options in that offense, but obviously only one football.

So Gates is tied with Gonzo for the TE TD record going into 2017. Once he takes hold of it as his own, do we see more push to Hunter or do we see Gates try to obliterate the TE record and tack up 10 on top of the 111 he already has?

36 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

So Gates is tied with Gonzo for the TE TD record going into 2017. Once he takes hold of it as his own, do we see more push to Hunter or do we see Gates try to obliterate the TE record and tack up 10 on top of the 111 he already has?

They are paying Gates $5.5M this season. If he is effective on third downs and in the red zone, as he was last season, they will continue to use him in those situations all season. If he isn't, they probably won't use him as much in those situations once he owns the record. I don't see any reason for a big dropoff in his performance, so I expect him to maintain a non-trivial role all season.

• Like 2

Antonio Gates will easily go down as one of the best Chargers in the history of the Franchise. Deciding what course to chart regarding Gates and Hunter Henry for 2017 starts with what you think about Gates himself - can he be an effective player in 2017, and if so, how effective? My answer to this question is: yes, and very - in the same role/mode that he was very effective in last year. So, if we are like-minded, the next question I ask myself is: what kind of going-out party are they going to give an All-Franchise player, who is still very effective on 3rd downs and in the Red Zone, in conjunction with the knowledge that the 'Philip Rivers window' is closing? At this point, the Chargers know what they have in Henry, IMHO - they effectively have Gates' replacement waiting in the wings. As long as Gates is doing his thing, why would they need to put any extra wear on Henry's tires, if at all possible it can be prevented? Prevented, as in, they aren't wasting a year of Rivers, and the other personnel, including Gates, are getting the job done. Certainly where situations and matchups present themselves, Henry's going to see the field and generate stats, so I'd expect a small degree of statistical cannibalism to occur, but the position is going to generate so much statistical revenue, that the impact could be minimal. Again, though, assuming Gates is going to be effective (as I do), how do the Chargers send him off? I'm a betting man, and I'd wager a significant sum that they are going to try to accommodate Gates absolutely CRUSHING that record, so that his name, and by association, the Chargers. are as close to etched in stone in the NFL History Books as they possibly can. Perpetuity, baby.

The way I'm looking at the situation currently, I could see myself doing one of two things: pass on Henry at his current ADP, and draft Gates as a value play at his; or: if I'm having misgivings, draft both (using Gates as a hedge, a relatively cheap hedge, at that)...currently I predict a very rare zero-sum scenario where Gates and Henry cannot either both under perform, or outperform, their respective ADP's. Rather, it's going to be one, or the other. If Henry delivers, he's well worth his draft spot, and I spent little in the way of draft capital hedging him. If Henry underperforms ADP, again, I'm getting tremendous value from a late round pick that mitigates the capital I had to spend to acquire Henry.

Thankfully, we have an entire preseason to (hopefully) figure things out, because, even though we all miss on picks here and there, every Season, I don't like the second scenario much at all.

At least that's what IknowIthinkIknow :loco: on June 1...

At TE10, there are several guys I'd much rather have for cheaper. With Keenan back and Williams in the fold, I just don't think there will be enough targets to go around to support a TE10 guy unless Gates gets hurt. With Gates at TE24, I think you'd be better off getting a different pair of TEs. I'd rather have Bennett (TE11) or Doyle (TE13) and Fleener (TE19). I mean, Gates will probably outperform TE24, but what's the upside? At least with Fleener, you know if he gets his head on straight that Drew Brees can make an average TE a top 6 fantasy TE.

4 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

At TE10, there are several guys I'd much rather have for cheaper. With Keenan back and Williams in the fold, I just don't think there will be enough targets to go around to support a TE10 guy unless Gates gets hurt. With Gates at TE24, I think you'd be better off getting a different pair of TEs. I'd rather have Bennett (TE11) or Doyle (TE13) and Fleener (TE19). I mean, Gates will probably outperform TE24, but what's the upside? At least with Fleener, you know if he gets his head on straight that Drew Brees can make an average TE a top 6 fantasy TE.

Even with all those other options at WR for the Chargers, they still go to the TE over and over and over and over in every game, particularly in the red zone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

Even with all those other options at WR for the Chargers, they still go to the TE over and over and over and over in every game, particularly in the red zone. 

8th in the league in TE targets without Keenan last year. I'm sure that'll slip with Keenan and Williams there, and even if it doesn't, I don't see how that number of targets will support a top 10 TE with two guys splitting those targets. 

2 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

8th in the league in TE targets without Keenan last year. I'm sure that'll slip with Keenan and Williams there, and even if it doesn't, I don't see how that number of targets will support a top 10 TE with two guys splitting those targets. 

Total TE targets for the Chargers have been fairly consistent over the past four years - 146, 148, 123, 144.  To me, the question becomes how deep of a split the targets are between Gates and Henry.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rschroeder1 said:

Total TE targets for the Chargers have been fairly consistent over the past four years - 146, 148, 123, 144.  To me, the question becomes how deep of a split the targets are between Gates and Henry.

They haven't had the bevy of WR talent they have now in the past, but even if they keep it up, I think someone will need at least 90 targets to finish top 10. And if I'm drafting a guy at TE10, I'm actually hoping for some upside rather than drafting at someone's ceiling.

44 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

They haven't had the bevy of WR talent they have now in the past, but even if they keep it up, I think someone will need at least 90 targets to finish top 10. And if I'm drafting a guy at TE10, I'm actually hoping for some upside rather than drafting at someone's ceiling.

Having watched a fair amount of Chargers games last year (they are on a lot in Chicago for whatever reason), I don't have a lot of faith in Gates to be any healthier or more mobile than last season. I would expect worse from aging. That's pure opinion, though.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Henry had 36/482/8 on 53 targets.  80 targets would be 150% of what he got last year and just over half the chargers average te targets, allowing for an 80/65 split.  Assume some regression, especially in touchdowns, and that's still enough for a 50/700/8 type of season which would be top 10 pretty easily,  and you'd have room for upside because his numbers actually pro rate to 54/723/12 on 80 targets.  And if he's putting up that kind of production he would probably get more than 80 targets.   

• Like 1

Just to put a stake in the ground...

In 2014 the chargers had 4 guys with 90 plus targets on 570 attempts. Gates was one of them,  with 69/821/12 on 98 targets.  

In 2015 rivers had a career high 661 attempts and they had 7 guys with 60 targets because Allen got hurt halfway through the season,  it was actually woodhead leading the way with over 100 targets because he was the only guy who played 16 games.  

Last year it was Tyrell Williams with 119, Inman with 97, and Gates with 93 on just 578 attempts. 

With the chargers improved targets you'd expect rivers to be well over his 3 year average of 600 attempts.   So let's give him 650, which is a little high, because some of these guys will get hurt.  Here's how the targets might look. 

Allen 140 (7 last year, 89 in 8 games in 2015, 121 in 16 games in 2014) 

T Williams 110 (119 last year) 

Henry 80 (53 last year) 

M Williams 80 (rookie) 

Gates 65 (93 last year)

Gordon 55 (57 last year) 

Benjamin 50 (75 last year)

Inman 40 (93 last year) 

Miscellaneous 30 (after the top 8, the remaining targets got 37 last year) 

That's pretty generous to the receivers with Allen getting 140 targets when he's never had more than 121, and 280 targets going to the wr2-5, so you can tinker with the numbers a lot and still get 80 plus for Henry.  It also assumes Gates drops all the way down to 65 when he hasnt had fewer than 90 in a long time, but that's consistent with the off season chatter about him playing  mostly on third downs and in the red zone.  He's tied with Gonzalez for the td record and turns 37 next month, so there's really no need for him to push for 90 again.

Allen takes a bit of a haircut from his 2015 pace of 89 receptions in 8 games,  but in his last 25 games he has 217 targets - under 9 per game. And 9 times 16 is 144. So 140 feels like it takes 2015 into account without over weighting a half season of production.  

Tyrell Williams could fall off more, and 110 is high for rivers wr2, but he could also be the wr1 again if Allen gets hurt again. 

The real outlier is the 650 targets, but I think you have to project high because they do have their best targets in years and some of these guys are going to get hurt like they do every year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Henry had 36/482/8 on 53 targets.  80 targets would be 150% of what he got last year and just over half the chargers average te targets, allowing for an 80/65 split.  Assume some regression, especially in touchdowns, and that's still enough for a 50/700/8 type of season which would be top 10 pretty easily,  and you'd have room for upside because his numbers actually pro rate to 54/723/12 on 80 targets.  And if he's putting up that kind of production he would probably get more than 80 targets.   

It all hinges on TDs. I think we can all agree Fleener had a bad year last year, right? Well, he actually ended up with 50/631/3 - similar to what you just projected for Henry, but without the TDs. I don't think we can bank on one of every five of Henry's receptions being a TD. I also don't this last year's 13.4 ypr is likely to repeat (your projection is actually 14 ypr - extremely high for a TE). My projection for 80 targets would be 50/600/6 (one TD per 8.3 rec seems pretty generous, given Gates, a sure fire HoF TE, averaged 1TD/8.1rec).

12 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Just to put a stake in the ground...

In 2014 the chargers had 4 guys with 90 plus targets on 570 attempts. Gates was one of them,  with 69/821/12 on 98 targets.  

In 2015 rivers had a career high 661 attempts and they had 7 guys with 60 targets because Allen got hurt halfway through the season,  it was actually woodhead leading the way with over 100 targets because he was the only guy who played 16 games.  

Last year it was Tyrell Williams with 119, Inman with 97, and Gates with 93 on just 578 attempts. 

With the chargers improved targets you'd expect rivers to be well over his 3 year average of 600 attempts.   So let's give him 650, which is a little high, because some of these guys will get hurt.  Here's how the targets might look. 

Allen 140 (7 last year, 89 in 8 games in 2015, 121 in 16 games in 2014) 

T Williams 110 (119 last year) 

Henry 80 (53 last year) 

M Williams 80 (rookie) 

Gates 65 (93 last year)

Gordon 55 (57 last year) 

Benjamin 50 (75 last year)

Inman 40 (93 last year) 

Miscellaneous 30 (after the top 8, the remaining targets got 37 last year) 

That's pretty generous to the receivers with Allen getting 140 targets when he's never had more than 121, and 280 targets going to the wr2-5, so you can tinker with the numbers a lot and still get 80 plus for Henry.  It also assumes Gates drops all the way down to 65 when he hasnt had fewer than 90 in a long time, but that's consistent with the off season chatter about him playing  mostly on third downs and in the red zone.  He's tied with Gonzalez for the td record and turns 37 next month, so there's really no need for him to push for 90 again.

Allen takes a bit of a haircut from his 2015 pace of 89 receptions in 8 games,  but in his last 25 games he has 217 targets - under 9 per game. And 9 times 16 is 144. So 140 feels like it takes 2015 into account without over weighting a half season of production.  

Tyrell Williams could fall off more, and 110 is high for rivers wr2, but he could also be the wr1 again if Allen gets hurt again. 

The real outlier is the 650 targets, but I think you have to project high because they do have their best targets in years and some of these guys are going to get hurt like they do every year. 

This... this is a good post. I haven't been willing to tackle the SD target distribution because there are just too many moving pieces. These are the things that would give me a headache if I was trying to do that:

• Benjamin was actually playing with a PCL injury last year - he looked pretty good before that injury, so will they really phase him out? I wouldn't be surprised to see his targets go up from 75. He's got some limitations (bad at contested catches, for instance) but he's really good at several aspects of the position.
  • I was not high on M Williams before the draft, so I'm not confident he is able to beat out Tyrell or Benjamin for snaps - could easily see him being the WR4 in snaps (similar to Perriman last year on Balt)
  • It's minor, but Keenan actually got injured in the 2nd quarter of both 2015 and 2016, so he's really got 96 targets in his last 32 quarters. I'm not saying he's going to get 192 targets, but people forget just how much Rivers likes him and just how mediocre/poor their OL is - Rivers is always hitting Allen short because he's good at those routes but also because he's got to get the ball out quickly. I've seen some really low projections for his targets, but I do think yours are realistic.
  • None of us really know how the Henry/Gates split will work
  • None of us really know how Henry would perform as the featured TE
  • Whisenhunt is back which is great for projections, but how much will the new HC meddle in the offensive philosophy?
  • With the departure of Woodhead, what's going to happen to RB involvement in the passing game?
  • They signed the injury prone Okung, so the OL could improve - will they run more if they can get more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust from Gordon? If Gordon has a season ending injury for the 3rd year in a row, how will that impact the passing game?

So I think your projections are within a LARGE range of reasonable projections. They seem quite reasonable, but given all the unknowns, projections for this offense are like throwing darts. If I were to put ranges for healthy players (16 games), I'd say:

Allen 120-160

Tyrell 70-110

Benjamin 50-100

Williams 30-90

Gates 50-90

Henry 50-90

Inman 20-70

What's even more fun is delving into TDs! In the past 3 years, the WRs have averaged 15.3 TDs, TEs 12.7, and RBs 3.3. 

1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

It all hinges on TDs. I think we can all agree Fleener had a bad year last year, right? Well, he actually ended up with 50/631/3 - similar to what you just projected for Henry, but without the TDs. I don't think we can bank on one of every five of Henry's receptions being a TD. I also don't this last year's 13.4 ypr is likely to repeat (your projection is actually 14 ypr - extremely high for a TE). My projection for 80 targets would be 50/600/6 (one TD per 8.3 rec seems pretty generous, given Gates, a sure fire HoF TE, averaged 1TD/8.1rec).

This... this is a good post. I haven't been willing to tackle the SD target distribution because there are just too many moving pieces. These are the things that would give me a headache if I was trying to do that:

• Benjamin was actually playing with a PCL injury last year - he looked pretty good before that injury, so will they really phase him out? I wouldn't be surprised to see his targets go up from 75. He's got some limitations (bad at contested catches, for instance) but he's really good at several aspects of the position.
  • I was not high on M Williams before the draft, so I'm not confident he is able to beat out Tyrell or Benjamin for snaps - could easily see him being the WR4 in snaps (similar to Perriman last year on Balt)
  • It's minor, but Keenan actually got injured in the 2nd quarter of both 2015 and 2016, so he's really got 96 targets in his last 32 quarters. I'm not saying he's going to get 192 targets, but people forget just how much Rivers likes him and just how mediocre/poor their OL is - Rivers is always hitting Allen short because he's good at those routes but also because he's got to get the ball out quickly. I've seen some really low projections for his targets, but I do think yours are realistic.
  • None of us really know how the Henry/Gates split will work
  • None of us really know how Henry would perform as the featured TE
  • Whisenhunt is back which is great for projections, but how much will the new HC meddle in the offensive philosophy?
  • With the departure of Woodhead, what's going to happen to RB involvement in the passing game?
  • They signed the injury prone Okung, so the OL could improve - will they run more if they can get more than 3 yards and a cloud of dust from Gordon? If Gordon has a season ending injury for the 3rd year in a row, how will that impact the passing game?

So I think your projections are within a LARGE range of reasonable projections. They seem quite reasonable, but given all the unknowns, projections for this offense are like throwing darts. If I were to put ranges for healthy players (16 games), I'd say:

Allen 120-160

Tyrell 70-110

Benjamin 50-100

Williams 30-90

Gates 50-90

Henry 50-90

Inman 20-70

What's even more fun is delving into TDs! In the past 3 years, the WRs have averaged 15.3 TDs, TEs 12.7, and RBs 3.3. 

If there's one thing I can bank on it's San Diego going to the TE in the Red Zone. Sure, they had arguably the best TE in NFL history but they also have a familiarity if those TE calls in the RZ as being successful and I just don't see them switching it up and going to the WR so quickly when they have a pretty darn good TE coming into his second year. For me, it's all about how much Rivers wants to feed Gates to cement the TD record for decades to come. 

18 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

If there's one thing I can bank on it's San Diego going to the TE in the Red Zone. Sure, they had arguably the best TE in NFL history but they also have a familiarity if those TE calls in the RZ as being successful and I just don't see them switching it up and going to the WR so quickly when they have a pretty darn good TE coming into his second year. For me, it's all about how much Rivers wants to feed Gates to cement the TD record for decades to come. 

I don't disagree, but we're probably talking about 10-14 TDs. I'm guessing neither guy exceeds 8 and it's certainly possible that they are both at 6 or less. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

I don't disagree, but we're probably talking about 10-14 TDs. I'm guessing neither guy exceeds 8 and it's certainly possible that they are both at 6 or less. 

I feel like Gates has the best chance to get to 10 TD's. He gets maybe 60 targets but Rivers helps cement his friends legacy. Hunter may be riding the pine for me early on to see how much they force feed Gates in the RZ in lieu of Fleener, Hooper and Eiffert.

6 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I feel like Gates has the best chance to get to 10 TD's. He gets maybe 60 targets but Rivers helps cement his friends legacy. Hunter may be riding the pine for me early on to see how much they force feed Gates in the RZ in lieu of Fleener, Hooper and Eiffert.

If healthy, Eifert should be your starter for the next 5 years anyway.

5 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

If healthy, Eifert should be your starter for the next 5 years anyway.

Alas... there's the rub...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bostonfred said:

With the chargers improved targets you'd expect rivers to be well over his 3 year average of 600 attempts.   So let's give him 650, which is a little high, because some of these guys will get hurt.

Completely disagree with this. First of all, Rivers had a career high 661 passing attempts in 2015, but his second highest total in any season is 582 in 2011. And HC Anthony Lynn is expected to emphasize the run more, not less; the Chargers were #22 in rushing attempts last season, and they should be expected to rank higher under Lynn, barring serious injury to Gordon.

You also did not account for spikes or throwaways in your breakdown. So your target distribution is probably inflated by 70-120 targets.

17 hours ago, bostonfred said:

The real outlier is the 650 targets, but I think you have to project high because they do have their best targets in years and some of these guys are going to get hurt like they do every year

I don't really follow the bolded. I suppose you are saying because some targets will miss games due to injury, you have to project all of them higher, to 650 total attempts, in order to avoid underestimating targets for whoever doesn't get hurt, in this case presumably Henry. Seems like an odd way to project a passing offense, given that it leads to inflated projections across the board.

The OL will have 3 new starters, with Franklin, Fluker, and Dunlap all released. Not only did the Chargers sign Okung, they also drafted OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and got excellent value in doing so. They also have 2 promising second year OL in Tuerk and Clark who both missed all of last year to injury. I am expecting significant improvement in that area.

That should definitely affect the passing/running play ratio. Last year, the Chargers called 616 passing plays and 398 rushing plays. I expect at least a slight shift toward more running plays and fewer passing plays.

OL improvement could also affect target distribution. It may not be necessary to throw as many passes short to get rid of the ball quickly. That could affect Allen's ratio of targets, and possibly also RB targets, especially with Woodhead gone. I doubt the TE ratio will be affected, but the split among TEs is pretty difficult to project.

As it was last season, Gates only played 585 of 1014 snaps, so he was already being used more heavily in high leverage situations (third downs, red zone). The Chargers had 200 3rd down plays, 12 4th down plays, 170 2nd and 10+ plays, and 170 red zone plays. The red zone plays overlap somewhat with the other plays, but it is a safe bet to assume that Gates played the majority of those snaps. These are the same snaps he can be expected to play this year, barring injury or a significant dropoff in effectiveness.

When Gates plays, he typically runs routes - 415 of his 585 plays. In contrast, Henry ran routes on 254 of his 574 plays. Henry should probably outsnap Gates this year, but probably not by a huge margin (again, barring injury or significant dropoff in effectiveness by Gates). I expect Henry's share of TE targets to go up at least a bit, but I don't expect a drastic change.

Bottom line, Gates' TDs last season do not seem flukish - he has been doing it for a long time, and it was known that he, Rivers, and the organization all wanted him to get the record. Henry's TDs on the other hand seem a bit flukish. With the return of Allen, the addition of a big red zone target in Mike Williams, and a likely reduction in pass attempts, I would be extremely surprised if Henry comes close to 8 TDs again this year.

Next year and beyond, with Gates gone, I think Henry will be a perennial candidate for 7-10 TDs for as long as Rivers is still playing. But this year not so much.

12 team TE Premium ppr league, must start 1, can start up to 3.

Was offered the 1.06 for him today, rookie draft on Sunday. Turned it down, guy also has the 1.04 but i doubt i wouod do it for that either.

Edited by Run It Up

Chargers TEs coach John McNulty believes Hunter Henry has "rare awareness and savvy for someone his age."

"For a young player, he’s got a tremendous amount of poise," McNulty said. "You don’t have to spell everything out A-Z for him." McNulty went on to praise Henry's ball skills, and acknowledge his prowess as a blocker. McNulty also made it clear that Antonio Gates isn't going away this season, but the Bolts are rightfully bullish on Henry following his strong rookie year.

Source: chargers.com

Jul 6 - 6:28 PM

Just now, Rhythmdoctor said:

Pretty shocked he doesn't have a catch tonight.

I'm wondering if the return of Allen is going to limit Henry's upside. I thought that Rivers would spread the ball around a bit--but he's really focusing on Allen, Gordon and Tyrell.  I certainly think it's too early to drop him after 3/4 of one game--but I think if he ends up with next to nothing this game--and doesn't do much next game--I might start considering it. 

He wasn't targeted at all correct?  Anyone have the snapcount?  I need to have my facts straight when I try to sell the Henry owner on Gates. 

16 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

Yeah. I think it's highly attributable to the Denver D, but still sucks.

He destroyed Denver d last year...without allen n gates playing though...of.course you.can count.on poor decisions in the game plan by the chargers staff

• Like 2

There are a number of Chargers experts on this board, so definitely correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Chargers' game plan just felt weird last night.  Perhaps credit is due to the Broncos defense, but it was hard to get the sense of any sort of flow to what the Chargers were trying to accomplish.  At least from TV viewing, with all it's faults, at times I felt like there wasn't even an effort to get some of their weapons involved.

It's just mind-boggling to think about last night versus a lot of the off season conversation on this board about concerns over all the splitting of targets on this team because they have so many weapons.

Beyond this, the snap count for Henry is very concerning (obviously).  Any thoughts on why?  I thought he excelled as a blocker last year.

Edited by rschroeder1

21 minutes ago, cockroach said:

He wasn't targeted at all correct?  Anyone have the snapcount?  I need to have my facts straight when I try to sell the Henry owner on Gates. 

According to SSD's spreadsheet, Gates played 66% of the snaps and Henry played 40%. 

24 minutes ago, cockroach said:

Gates played 66% of the snaps 3 opportunities.

Henry played 40% of the snaps 0 opportunities.

Seemed to always keep Henry to block.

im sitting with 2 disappointments week 1 with he and Eifert.

Amd likely watching someone else snatch Clay up.

Killed me in a couple leagues where I only needed a handful of points. He's going to the bench for now, but I think his dynasty outlook is pretty good.

2 hours ago, rschroeder1 said:

There are a number of Chargers experts on this board, so definitely correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Chargers' game plan just felt weird last night.  Perhaps credit is due to the Broncos defense, but it was hard to get the sense of any sort of flow to what the Chargers were trying to accomplish.  At least from TV viewing, with all it's faults, at times I felt like there wasn't even an effort to get some of their weapons involved.

It's just mind-boggling to think about last night versus a lot of the off season conversation on this board about concerns over all the splitting of targets on this team because they have so many weapons.

Beyond this, the snap count for Henry is very concerning (obviously).  Any thoughts on why?  I thought he excelled as a blocker last year.

The team in general looked really unprepared for that game in many ways. Their approach to play calling reminded me of the Norv years. I think they're still figuring out what they've got and what they're trying to do. In this game in particular it seemed like they went in thinking the Broncos would be susceptible to the run and were trying to focus on that. Problem is, it wasn't working very well, the offensive line didn't block well enough for much of the game, which also explains why he had to stay in to block. The Chargers front 5 just wasn't able to control the line of scrimmage without help from the TEs and backs. They ran 3 TE sets several times last night, though Culkin (TE3) didn't get any targets either.

You'd think at some point, one of these coaching staffs would recognize why it is that Rivers (and therefore the offense) seems to play much better from behind. Granted, a decent amount of that can be attributed to prevent type defenses in those situations, but I think a faster paced, pass first, vertical emphasis offense plays to their strengths better than run first. Yet multiple times last night they ran on 1st and 2nd and were left with 3rd and longs that they didn't pick up. Just like the Norv years.

As for Henry, I'm confident he'll get going again and put up some good games from here on out. But I don't think he'll challenge for top 5 fantasy TE status or anything like that this year. Too many other options on the team. Much of Henry's FF success is TD dependent. They didn't really get into the areas of the field where he scores from last night.

Edited by Gr00vus

I can't find a single thing to back this up but I feel like there is something we don't know about, some kind of injury or something. I fully expected Gates to prohibit the Henry breakout, at least early this year, but this is something else entirely and I refuse to believe something is not up.

Hunter Henry caught all seven of his targets for 80 yards in the Chargers' Week 2 loss to the Dolphins.

The fantasy community freaked out after Henry wasn't targeted in the Week 1 opener and was out-snapped by teammate Antonio Gates, but Henry quieted the noise by dusting the Dolphins' hapless linebacker group Sunday. Gates caught a short touchdown in this one but looks nearly done at 37. Henry needs to be owned in fantasy leagues wherever he was dropped. He still has plenty of upside in an offense that should put plenty of points on the board. Consider Henry a borderline TE1 next week at home against the Eric Berry-less Chiefs.

2 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Now that Gates has his record I think it's on to Henry.  

I'd heard a Chargers beat writer say in August that once Gates got the record he'd start getting phased out. I refused to believe it, figured they had all season to get Gates one TD so no reason to freak out on it early and a new coach trying to get wins is priority #1. Then Gates caught the TD and never got another target. I watched a condensed version of the game and was not paying attention but don't recall seeing much of Gates after his TD.

6 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Now that Gates has his record I think it's on to Henry.  

You mean you hope it's on to Henry.