What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moritz Böhringer, WR Bengals - Taming the Stripes like Sigfried and Roy! (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648990/article/german-wide-receiver-one-of-nfl-drafts-biggest-sleepers

(video in link)

Moritz Boehringer has played football for only four years. In Germany. On fields that rival the ones high-school teams play on in the United States.

Yet that hasn't stopped him from becoming one of the biggest sleepers and best-kept secrets of the 2016 NFL Draftthat some teams wish could be kept quiet a little longer.

That's because he's 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, runs a 40-yard dash of 4.39 seconds, and has a 37-inch vertical (think Devin Funchess or Dorial Green-Beckham).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648990/article/german-wide-receiver-one-of-nfl-drafts-biggest-sleepers

(video in link)

Moritz Boehringer has played football for only four years. In Germany. On fields that rival the ones high-school teams play on in the United States.

Yet that hasn't stopped him from becoming one of the biggest sleepers and best-kept secrets of the 2016 NFL Draftthat some teams wish could be kept quiet a little longer.

That's because he's 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, runs a 40-yard dash of 4.39 seconds, and has a 37-inch vertical (think Devin Funchess or Dorial Green-Beckham).
I'd feel much better about him as a sleeper if I didn't have to think about Devin Funchess or Dorial Green-Beckham.

Great measurables don't automatically make for great football players. Especially one with limited experience, playing against inferior competition. That said, this does sound like an interesting story to follow this draft/preseason.

If this article about him came out tomorrow no one would believe it.
Lol so true. 

Watching his highlights the competition is about a D-3 college level, but... This guy is really fast. And big, hard to bring down. Maybe would make a better TE in the NFL (I don't see a lot of precise route running probably because he doesn't need it to create separation against the competition). 

mr roboto said:
Watching his highlights the competition is about a D-3 college level, but... This guy is really fast. And big, hard to bring down. Maybe would make a better TE in the NFL (I don't see a lot of precise route running probably because he doesn't need it to create separation against the competition). 
His speed really shined on tape.  Some players have great 40 times, but it does not convert to "field fast".  He looked to blow away the defenders once he hit top gear.

Great effort to work through arm tackles.  Saw some high knees and knocked away defenders arm reaching.  NFL teams will worry about his size at 225, not a pure WR and lined up at TE on the film in non-spread/trips formations.  NFL defensive ends will man handle him at TE.  Great prospect for a team like Green Bay.

From the Walterfootball pro day results page:

Previously mentioned German receiver Moritz Wilhelm Boehringer put up Olympian-type of numbers. He measured 6044, 227 pounds, posted a vertical jump of 39 inches, a broad jump of 10-11, timed anywhere from 4.38 to 4.45 in the 40 while also running 4.09 in the short shuttle and 6.64 in the 3-cone. Wow!! I'm told he also looked good catching the ball. 
Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/proday.php#fPTYltvGXAeRQqYt.99
6'4" 227 with a vert of 39/broad jump of 10-11 and 4.4 speed is pretty amazing. Those numbers above are top 5 in every category from the combine. He is just about even with Doctson in everything (shorter vert, better 40, better 3 cone, same broad jump, tiny bit slower shuttle), but 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier.

That said, his competition is clearly below the top college players, so how well does he adjust to the NFL game? I'll definitely follow him to see where he goes, because those numbers might put him at the top of the WRs at the combine overall, but none of the other top performers are 6'4" 227 lbs. I am assuming people know about him now, but who jumps on him first.

Biggest concern is the difficulty translating to the NFL. He might be able to convert to a receiving TE, he's not blocking anyone. Which leads me to my 2nd concern. Playing below his weight class. We see it with Jordan Reed a lot. Dr. Jene has mentioned it a couple of times, to paraphrase he thinks his size is contributing to his injury history.

Undersized TEs concern me.

I am more interested in RB Darius Jackson from Eastern if we are talking about special athletes flying way under the radar. He actually played against D1 schools and racked up 1300 total yards, 21 catches 16 TDs  5.2 YPC.

Jackson (6-foot-1, 220) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 and 4.38 seconds at the Michigan pro day Friday, NFL.com reports. Jackson added a 41-inch vertical, 133-inch broad jump, 4.27-second 20-yard shuttle and 6.82-second three-cone drill.

The 41-inch vertical would tie for eighth-best among running backs at the Combine since 2006, while the 133-inch broad jump would tie for fifth-best over that span. To post those jumps and a sub-4.4 40 at 220 pounds is quite impressive
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/darius-jackson-remarkable-pro-day/

Biggest concern is the difficulty translating to the NFL. He might be able to convert to a receiving TE, he's not blocking anyone. Which leads me to my 2nd concern. Playing below his weight class. We see it with Jordan Reed a lot. Dr. Jene has mentioned it a couple of times, to paraphrase he thinks his size is contributing to his injury history.

Undersized TEs concern me.
Look at the numbers he posted. He's got speed/agility numbers that are as good or better than every WR at the combine and he's bigger. Whether or not that translates the NFL or he can beat press coverage, etc. has no bearing on the fact that athletically he can be a WR.

I am more interested in RB Darius Jackson from Eastern if we are talking about special athletes flying way under the radar. He actually played against D1 schools and racked up 1300 total yards, 21 catches 16 TDs  5.2 YPC.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/darius-jackson-remarkable-pro-day/
Depending on which numbers you like, the German and he did about the same (better cone/shuttle times for Das WR and better jump/40, although they were close in everything). That said, I agree, this guy's college experience will translate better.

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest. There's plenty of room for oversized wrs I just think that probably limits his value in the NFL. My concern with him switching to TE  is the physical toll on his undersized (for the position) frame.

I think he could get snatched up with a late pick, possibly one of NEs 5 sixth rounders.

What was it PT Barnum said,....
LOL, you at least keep your opinions short and sweet. That said, he's not going before the 5th round at the earliest, not much of a sucker bet. This isn't 1st rounder for Matt Jones were talking about or does this guy have a nose for the drugs as well?

That 3 cone time for his size is sick.

With regards to playing TE and why that would be assumption. It just seems to be the main position that players with limited to almost zero football experience are able convert to and actually play well. I don't think Gates played college football at all and I thought Graham only played the one year. Even a guy like Gronk barely played 20 college games. 

We've seen a few players convert to WR but the last time I remember a player with limited to no football experience entering the NFL who tried to play WR and actually did anything was Renaldo Nehemia and he did not do much. But I'm going off memory so maybe I'm forgetting people?

We've seen a few players convert to WR but the last time I remember a player with limited to no football experience entering the NFL who tried to play WR and actually did anything was Renaldo Nehemia and he did not do much. But I'm going off memory so maybe I'm forgetting people?

Depends...if you mean from TE to WR, none come to mind (Niles Paul went the other way around). 

If you mean from any other position to WR, though, Hines Ward was a converted QB.  So was Antwaan Randle El, though his career was somewhat less storied than Ward's.  Braxton Miller may be on his way to a similar career arc.

TE does seem to be the most common position for basketball players to convert to football players at.  Although the baseball guys seem to become QBs.

Depends...if you mean from TE to WR, none come to mind (Niles Paul went the other way around). 

If you mean from any other position to WR, though, Hines Ward was a converted QB.  So was Antwaan Randle El, though his career was somewhat less storied than Ward's.  Braxton Miller may be on his way to a similar career arc.

TE does seem to be the most common position for basketball players to convert to football players at.  Although the baseball guys seem to become QBs.
Thanks but knew about those guys which is what I meant when I said "we've seen players convert to WR". Probably did not explain that well but meant we've seen plenty of players with college experience make the switch to WR. Heck, even Matt Jones turned in a serviceable last year before he blew his career up.

Depending on which numbers you like, the German and he did about the same (better cone/shuttle times for Das WR and better jump/40, although they were close in everything). That said, I agree, this guy's college experience will translate better.
Right, very similar numbers (off the chart numbers). If Jackson played just about anywhere other than Eastern Michigan (is there a worse D1 program?), he would have gotten a lot more attention. 1300 and 16 are good good single season numbers playing on an awful awful team. He showed some chops catching the ball with 21 receptions. 5.2 is a very solid ypc. The concerns are obvious though. He didn't do jack until his senior year and there was another RB on the team that outplayed him at times. Still, he has pretty rare physical tools. 

They don't, that's the problem. There best is probably the equal of a top US high school squad. The guy has faced nobody, he will never be even a fringe pro.
Possibly, but there is no way you can say that. If teams want him for a visit after his pro day then it is possible he will have some value. Do I think he has a chance to become FF viable? Not really, but depends on where he is selected.

Let's be perfectly straight. His workout numbers are as good or better than every single WR at the combine, including all the guys being talked about as 1st rounders. He has the athleticism along with better size than all the WRs. Also, according to the reviews, he did well in the drills. So, IMHO, saying he will never even be a fringe pro is ridiculously short sighted. Does he have a good chance seeing as he's never played against any real competition? No, he's very risky, but based on his pro-day, comments about his ability to pick things up and team visits setup, he's got a chance to actually contribute. There's been lots of odd ball guys like Brock Lesner or Jarryd Hayne (who knows on him), but those guys were older and already well into their other careers. This guy is 22 years old, i.e. right out of college.

Again, the odds are stacked against him, but his results are off the charts good for his size and he's young enough to be a bit of a project.

They talked about him a bit on Sirius NFL radio, but I had to cut it off and go back to work after the first few minutes.  They said he'd be a 5th or 6th rounder project player.

They talked about him a bit on Sirius NFL radio, but I had to cut it off and go back to work after the first few minutes.  They said he'd be a 5th or 6th rounder project player.
Just put him next to Devon Cajuste, and drop em both in a certain team with a plethora of late picks that has a penchant for rostering an offense of a lighter complexion, purely by coincidence I assure you. 

Exactly, no one in the world is talking about this guy being picked anywhere near the top of the draft. He is a project, but it is silly with his numbers and pro day results to say he has no potential at all because he played against bad competition. If teams thought he had no potential, they wouldn't be scheduling visits.

More importantly the teams that have shown interest. Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Broncos, Vikings. Pretty good organizations with well above average personnel scouting.

"C'mon coach, just put in 'Blitzkrieg Boehringer' in the game for one play. It's the last game of the season, what can it hurt, you dunkoff?"

I'm going to hold off judgment untill I see his fight with Rocky Balboa. 

Athletes have transitioned from basketball to football without any meaningful football game experience.  Does not seem a great stretch to think an athlete who was an actual football player could also make that transition without experience vs. ncaa football talent.

Long shot?  Sure.  But so are most college WRs taken in the late rounds.

The boundless optimism on these forums for guys with no shot never ceases to amaze me. I don't care what he did during the underwear exercises, you don't go from the level he was playing at to playing against the best players in the world and succeed. Might he make a team? Maybe, as a special teamer/#5 WR. Expecting anything more is simply naive.

Users who are viewing this thread