What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1988 Topps Wax Pack - Live Unboxing Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
My cousin sent me an unopened wax pack of 88 Topps cards.  I think my chances of winning a trip to 1989 Spring Training aren't very good.

I'm also going to probably pass on the gum.

1988 Topps Baseball is largely shunned by today's collectors. Most of this comes from its seemingly near-endless supply. In actuality, it's a simple and attractive set that many might view as a bargain.

The 792-card checklist features several rookies, the most notable of which is two-time National League Cy Young winner, Tom Glavine. 1996 NL MVP Ken Caminiti also has a rookie card in the set. Subsets include Record Breakers, Future Stars, Turn Back the Clock and All-Stars.

The 1988 Topps Baseball design is one of the company's simplest. Large player photos have a thin colored frame, which gives way to a white border. The player's name is in block letters in a diagonal strip at the bottom-right of the card. The team name stands out at the top of the card, hovering behind the player image.

Card backs are orange and have complete player stats. Many cards also have a caption called "This Way to the Clubhouse," which explains how the player came to join the pictured team.

A pair of insert sets are available in specific pack types. Glossy All-Stars are inserted one per rack pack. Jumbo cello packs have a similar Glossy Rookie card. Collectors could also mail away for a separate 60-card Glossy set. It was offered in both ten-card lots or as a complete set.

Key 1988 Topps Baseball Cards:

Gum is in four pieces

ETA:  may not technically qualify as gum anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
First card - Ray Knight 3B Orioles #124

Picture:  looks like he's about to take a #### on the infield

Key stat:  7 GWRBI in 1987

Second card - Fred McGriff DH/1B  Blue Jays #463

Picture:  Portrait with his arm taking up the bottom third of the card.  The Crime Dog has a long head.

So close, missed his rookie card by one year. 

Third card - Wallace Johnson 1B Expos #228

Picture:  action shot of him running the bases wearing a tricolor Expos batting helmet

This way to the clubhouse:  Wallace signed as a FA with the Expos April 1, 1984 and began the season at Jacksonnville.

My cousin sent me an unopened wax pack of 88 Topps cards.  I think my chances of winning a trip to 1989 Spring Training aren't very good.

I would gladly eat that gum. I was mad when A&P went out of business in November. The one by me has an old cards vending machine. I liked buying old 1980s Topps cards for the cards and the edible gum.

Fourth card - Steve Lyons 3B/OF White Sox #108

Picture:  Head shot in profile.  White Sox text is in green with Lyons' name in black on a pink background.

Random fact:  Led International League 3B with 98 putouts and 332 total chances in 1984

Fourth card - Steve Lyons 3B/OF White Sox #108

Picture:  Head shot in profile.  White Sox text is in green with Lyons' name in black on a pink background.

Random fact:  Led International League 3B with 98 putouts and 332 total chances in 1984
Pants up Steve Lyons = not interested

NTTAWWT

Second card - Fred McGriff DH/1B  Blue Jays #463

Picture:  Portrait with his arm taking up the bottom third of the card.  The Crime Dog has a long head.

So close, missed his rookie card by one year. 
7 career homers from the Hall of Fame

One more card for today

Fifth card - Drew Hall P Cubs #262

Picture:  Not nearly as handsome as Steve Lyons.  Advantage South Side

This way to the clubhouse:  Drew was signed as a 1st round draft selection with Cubs.  June 15, 1984 by Scout Buford Billy Champion. 

I honestly don't remember Hall.  He was part of the Palmeiro-Mitch Williams trade so he wasn't a member of the 89 AL East winning club.

One more card for today

Fifth card - Drew Hall P Cubs #262

Picture:  Not nearly as handsome as Steve Lyons.  Advantage South Side

This way to the clubhouse:  Drew was signed as a 1st round draft selection with Cubs.  June 15, 1984 by Scout Buford Billy Champion. 

I honestly don't remember Hall.  He was part of the Palmeiro-Mitch Williams trade so he wasn't a member of the 89 AL East winning club.
I don't remember what type of pitches he threw. I just remember him as a dorky looking guy.

The gum would be the best part of this pack.

I can't believe I missed this yesterday. Stupid dinner with neighbors.  NEIGHBORS RUIN EVERYTHING.

ETA:  I'll pay top dollar for a Dickie Thon card, if you get one.

Sixth card - Scott Bradley C Mariners #762

Picture:   Waist-up portrait of Bradley with his cap tilted at a rakish angle

This way to the clubhouse:  The White Sox traded Scott to the Mariners 6/26/86 for Ivan Calderon.  Post 1986 rWAR  Bradley -1.8, Calderon 11.1   Oof!

Seventh card:  Cory Snyder OF/SS  Indians #620

Picture:  Awkward looking follow through, presumably taken after a swing & miss.  First rate eyeblack though.

Fun fact:  Led Eastern league with 28 HR and 94 RBI at Waterbury in 1985 and was selected as loop's MVP. 

I like how they label him as a SS.  He appeared in 18 games at the position in 1987 with a TZ rating of -4 in just 138 innings.   1987 was the season he and Joe Carter were the SI baseball preview issue cover models.  The Tribe lost 101 games.

Eighth card:  Topps Spring Fever Baseball sweepstakes card b/w Glossy All-Stars and Hot Prospects Baseball Cards special offer

Hot prospects:

set 1:  K Seitzer, M Henneman

set 2: M Dunne, M Greenwell

set 3: D White, B Santiago

set 4:  M McGwire, J Magrane

set 5: BJ Surhoff, E Burks

set 6:  M Nokes, C Candaele

Set 4 has the best single player but I'd have to give the nod to set 5 with set 3 a close second.

Seventh card:  Cory Snyder OF/SS  Indians #620

Picture:  Awkward looking follow through, presumably taken after a swing & miss.  First rate eyeblack though.

Fun fact:  Led Eastern league with 28 HR and 94 RBI at Waterbury in 1985 and was selected as loop's MVP. 

I like how they label him as a SS.  He appeared in 18 games at the position in 1987 with a TZ rating of -4 in just 138 innings.   1987 was the season he and Joe Carter were the SI baseball preview issue cover models.  The Tribe lost 101 games.
http://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1988/Topps/620/Cory-Snyder.jpg?id=cda292e4-7176-44ae-b72b-d1447e1140a0&size=original

Ninth card:  Ray Searage P White Sox  #788

Picture:  Portrait of an impressively mustachioed Searage facing the camera but glancing stage right.  He bears a wistful smile that suggests he knows his own mediocre career is coming to an end but that he'll someday fix the delivery of a 5 year old Domincan boy named Edinson Volquez. 

Fun fact:  Was Gastonia MVP in 1978 shortly before the Gastonian Peoples Republic was crushed by the Soviets

Motto:  Those that can't do, teach

Ninth card:  Ray Searage P White Sox  #788

Picture:  Portrait of an impressively mustachioed Searage facing the camera but glancing stage right.  He bears a wistful smile that suggests he knows his own mediocre career is coming to an end but that he'll someday fix the delivery of a 5 year old Domincan boy named Edinson Volquez. 

Fun fact:  Was Gastonia MVP in 1978 shortly before the Gastonian Peoples Republic was crushed by the Soviets

Motto:  Those that can't do, teach

Closing out Friday with the tenth card:  Jerry Browne 2B  Rangers #139

Picture:  Post bunt shot.  It's actually a very nice looking card IMO.  The 88 Topps template forced some weird cropping decisions.  Browne's photo fills the frame almost perfectly without cutting off any body parts.

Fun fact:  Was a 1983 graduate of Central HS, Kingshill, V.I.

Browne was coming off an impressive rookie season although he had a 1987 Topps traded card.  He put up 2.3 rWAR as a 21 year old with a .358 OBP.  He had 27 SBs as well although the real-life value was diminished by 17 CS (2nd in the AL).   He had two even better years later with the Indians but was finished as a Major Leaguer by age 29.  The Guv'nor is still a great, albeit obvious nickname.

Closing out Friday with the tenth card:  Jerry Browne 2B  Rangers #139

Picture:  Post bunt shot.  It's actually a very nice looking card IMO.  The 88 Topps template forced some weird cropping decisions.  Browne's photo fills the frame almost perfectly without cutting off any body parts.

Fun fact:  Was a 1983 graduate of Central HS, Kingshill, V.I.

Browne was coming off an impressive rookie season although he had a 1987 Topps traded card.  He put up 2.3 rWAR as a 21 year old with a .358 OBP.  He had 27 SBs as well although the real-life value was diminished by 17 CS (2nd in the AL).   He had two even better years later with the Indians but was finished as a Major Leaguer by age 29.  The Guv'nor is still a great, albeit obvious nickname.
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Baseball/25517/25517-515589Fr.jpg

Power rankings after ten cards

1.   McGriff - 1st ballot HoVG

2.   Knight - World Series hero

3/4.  Searage/Lyons - Post-career exploits

5.   Snyder - POTENTIAL!!!

6-9.  Browne/Johnson/Bradley/Hall:  meh

10.   Sweepstakes/Special Offer

11.  "gum"

Sehorn

really loved the 85-89 topps sets. 84 meh derrivative of the cool 83 set. 

By 90 with that acid trip the game was forever changed by upper deck. 91 was the last great year with that old stock topps. 

Though I did like the oversized bowman cards

Sehorn

really loved the 85-89 topps sets. 84 meh derrivative of the cool 83 set. 

By 90 with that acid trip the game was forever changed by upper deck. 91 was the last great year with that old stock topps. 

Though I did like the oversized bowman cards
91 Topps is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread