What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UConn Women vs. Oak Hill academy: Who Wins? (1 Viewer)

skillz

Footballguy
I had this discussion with my wife this morning.  I told her that even though the U-Conn's women's team had a great season and blew out their competition, I thought an elite men's high school team like Oak Hill could beat them.  I explained how the Oak Hill players are taller, faster, more athletic and the roster is loaded with Division I prospects who will step into elite men's programs and play right away. 

She responded by telling me I was sexist for saying Oak Hill would win because I am basically telling her all men's teams are better than women's teams.  I told her it wasn't a men's vs. women's issue, it was a comparison of talent.  I think a team like Oak Hill has more talent and would win, I never said that all boys' high school teams, or my local boys' team with no college prospects would beat the UConn women's team.  To me, it's no different than comparing whether Villanova would beat Northern Iowa.  You look at the two teams' talent and predict who will win.  She didn't want to hear any of that.  What say you FBG's?

Oak Hill. My father and I had a very brief argument about this one. 

It's not even close. 

And tell her she's right, so you actually get laid without resentment. But then remind her that she throws down like a girl. That always helps these arguments.  

To be fair, Oak hill would beat most men's college basketball teams as well.  I think it sounds sexist to say because it's a high school.  If you take a comparable college team, let's say Wake Forrest... she might agree with you.  

Seriously?

This isn't even close.  Women do not have the size/speed combos available to compete with a moderately skilled men's team.  A team with multiple players that can play above the rim?  UCONN's women's team doesn't have one.

I officiated a handful of high school boys teams this year that would beat them regularly.  When every single position is giving up height, weight, strength and speed, its pretty difficult to compete.

This stuff also comes up in soccer, although the members of the USWNT are very clear about their limitations against more athletic male teams.  In any case, the stories say that the women's national team often scrimmages against male youth teams in the national program.  Some times you hear its full youth national teams like the U17s.  Sometimes you hear that its regional teams in the Olympic Development Program.  It's tough to find documentary proof of these scrimmages, but here's a discussion of two apparent scrimmages against the Southern California Olympic Development Program teams.  The two boy's teams would have been 17 and 16 year olds at the time.

As the report there indicates, the women can be more skilled players and still have little chance of winning because of the difference in explosiveness and athleticism.  I imagine much of the same is true in basketball.  It doesn't take anything away from Breanna Stewart's skill as a player to acknowledge that she just wouldn't be able to get the same looks against an elite high school boy's team. 

Would set a record for blocked shots in a game.  People in the stands would have to keep their head on a swivel.  

I had this discussion with my wife this morning.  I told her that even though the U-Conn's women's team had a great season and blew out their competition, I thought an elite men's high school team like Oak Hill could beat them.  I explained how the Oak Hill players are taller, faster, more athletic and the roster is loaded with Division I prospects who will step into elite men's programs and play right away. 

She responded by telling me I was sexist for saying Oak Hill would win because I am basically telling her all men's teams are better than women's teams.  I told her it wasn't a men's vs. women's issue, it was a comparison of talent.  I think a team like Oak Hill has more talent and would win, I never said that all boys' high school teams, or my local boys' team with no college prospects would beat the UConn women's team.  To me, it's no different than comparing whether Villanova would beat Northern Iowa.  You look at the two teams' talent and predict who will win.  She didn't want to hear any of that.  What say you FBG's?
What's wrong with being sexy?

I'd take Oak Hill -25. UConn women wouldn't get many rebounds or any shots off inside, and even outside shots would be contested as they shoot from the chest. 

Oak hill could name their score. 

Big conference Womens college teams practice against men and regularly lose. And we're not talking about big time players. A guy that didn't make my hs team (and we weren't that great ) was the point guard for the male practice team at a big ten school.  They beat the women's starting 5 every day.

Oak hill by 40 plus, maybe 50. 

some of the Oregon State girls team would come play in pickup games against just us dudes in the gym, all of us were HS avg or slightly better than avg but none of us were college material.    We would destroy them.   They couldn't jump, couldn't muscle, couldn't beat you off the dribble.  All they could do was shoot.   

it would be something like 125 to 20 final score, or they might just call a mercy rule at halftime

Apologize.  Tell her you were confused by a sperm backup into your brain and that she could sure help you see reason.  Obviously you will mean none of this, but why argue sports with a woman?  Nothing good can come of this if you try to convince her of your superior and correct point.  Apologize, unzip, and ask her to accept your apology.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next layer of discussion related to this topic is whether in your peak athletic years you could have made the roster of a WNBA team.  I am talking 12th person on the bench of any WNBA team.  I think I could have done that back in the day.  No way I bring that up to my wife though, I am already in the process of doing damage control.  I am just going to make sure she gets a bottle of wine tonight to take the edge off...

Also, what ball are they playing with? I watched 6 minutes of the uconn game last night and was briefly impressed with Stewart's shooting. Then I remembered they're playing with smaller ball which is the same thing as playing with a wider basket. 

Playing with a women's ball wouldn't affect oak hill because they'd never have to shoot anything more than 3 feet from the rim. But make uconn play with the men's ball and I'm not sure they crack 30 points for the game

Oak hill could name their score. 

Big conference Womens college teams practice against men and regularly lose. And we're not talking about big time players. A guy that didn't make my hs team (and we weren't that great ) was the point guard for the male practice team at a big ten school.  They beat the women's starting 5 every day.

Oak hill by 40 plus, maybe 50. 
Yes.  This.  So much this.

There are some high school boys' teams out there that would lose to the UCONN women, but not Oak Hill or any of the other national/regional prep factories.  I doubt the UConn women would be competitive with any boys' state champion in the largest school classification in their state.  The threshold for close game is lower than that.

Had a women's game on of this year's tourney and the ball got stuck between the backboard and the rim. They had to get the mop/dust thing to poke it out. :lol:

Yeah this wouldn't be close.

I remember back in HS our girls basketball team was amazing. Won the state title easily, only losing one game all season when three of their players were out with the flu. At a pep rally myself and four other guys from the football team played their starters for a half of basketball. None of us have played organized basketball since grade school and we, and everyone else, expected us to get killed. They were half right, it wasn't close: we won by 15 or so points. We could block their shots at will, got just about every rebound, and we were twice as fast. Towards the end, they just kept the clock running to end the embarrassment.

The next layer of discussion related to this topic is whether in your peak athletic years you could have made the roster of a WNBA team.  I am talking 12th person on the bench of any WNBA team.  I think I could have done that back in the day.  No way I bring that up to my wife though, I am already in the process of doing damage control.  I am just going to make sure she gets a bottle of wine tonight to take the edge off...
I could be a WNBA all star today.  I'm 38 years old and dead serious.

I live in CT and suffer through these types of discussions on a weekly basis.  A couple adds....

1) The UConn women's team regularly scrimmages against men's intramural teams.  I'm not talking about borderline D1 or even D2 talent.  Just good high school guys who didn't want to go to a D3 school.  So that's the watermark in terms of a "good practice game" for them.

2) There was a story a few years back about one time when some of the players from the UConn men and women's team were hanging around and decided to play pickup.  The best player on the women's team stood there flatfooted as a 6'5", 220 lb forward flew past her at lightning speed and dunked one home.  They commented something like they were the first person to admit that there's no comparison in the two sports.

some of the Oregon State girls team would come play in pickup games against just us dudes in the gym, all of us were HS avg or slightly better than avg but none of us were college material.    We would destroy them.   They couldn't jump, couldn't muscle, couldn't beat you off the dribble.  All they could do was shoot.   

it would be something like 125 to 20 final score, or they might just call a mercy rule at halftime
I was at high school summer camp and ran in a few games against the longhorn women.  The guys I was playing with were from all over and we had never played together. Full court they kept it close.  Half court I don't know if they ever scored. 

Geno Auriema and Pat Summitt have been known to use male students who meet for pickup games practice against their title teams.  There was a Sports Illustrated article in the '90s about Summitt's use of this in particular.  Both coaches had to put restrictions on the men (e.g. no play above the rim, blowing the whistle to stop action) and when they took the leash off the men, their ladies didn't stand a chance.

Now imagine instead of some above-average gym rats, those women go up against Oak Hill.  It would be a bloodbath.

I'd guess you'd have to go all the way down to an average men's high school varsity team to come close to leveling the competition.

Would what's his name from UCONN be this successful coaching Men's DI ?
I'd say yes.  He'd have a bit of a learning curve, especially in the differences in dealing with male personalities, but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't at least be a decent D1 coach.

ETA:  I thought it just said "successful", not "this successful".  No way would he have as much success in the men's game.

Would what's his name from UCONN be this successful coaching Men's DI ?
No one could be that successful coaching Men's D1. UConn women basically have their pick of recruits from across the country, and then they get to keep them for 4 years. And the women's talent pool isn't as deep... the dropoff from the #1 recruit to #100 is a lot bigger than it is in the men's game.

I'm sure Auriemma would be a fine men's coach, but it just wouldn't be possible to build a monster like he has with UConn women.

side not question

For anyone in the know, what hasnt Geno ever switched over to mens game?  Seems like at some point he would want to challenge himself.

Your wife is an idiot - the US Olympic team would be beat by an elite high school team.  Men are much better athletes than women.  That is not being sexist, it is a fact. 

Since she doesn't seem to have much going on up top, I have to imagine your wife's hot with a big rack?

Figure out a way to post pics in this Flintstone-era forum.

watching the women play to me is like watching the nba from 1947, 5 jewish guys in silk shorts with belts playing at 14 rpm.

I never played high school basketball and girls from a good D2 basketball program try to play intramural basketball with us and were blown off the floor.   Oak Hill and it wouldn't be close.

####... I could go down to the park and pick 5 random dudes to play against them, and the 5 randoms would win by at least 20. 

Users who are viewing this thread