What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

I liked it better than TFA but it still had it's problems. It was confusing in the beginning, the end battle was just too long and I thought for sure that Gov. tarkin and Princess Leia were CGI's of the original.

Loved K2S0. Alan Tudyk stole the movie. And loved Felicia Jones.

And both me, my daughter and her BF were relieved that they all died. Sounds a bit morbid, but if they had lived it would have really cheapened the whole movie. 

Too long? Gtfo

Just saw it, generally liked it, thought the ending was pretty bad ###.  The one thing that tilted me quite a bit was the star destroyer just chilling out 1000 feet above the city.  I remember those things being way too big to enter orbit but my son tells me that in the newer canon thats okay because anti-gravity something something.  Obviously suspension of disbelief is a huge part of being able to enjoy Star Wars but I thought that was a bit much 

In 18 days Rogue One has managed to rake in over 14MM per day in the USA. Obviously 155MM launch weekend. Every single day this movie is making more money than a lot of film s entire run at the theater in 1 day.

A lot of kids in my area are off the rest of the week. It could easily still clear 10 MM a day the rest of this week into the weekend. 439MM and change going into today just in the States.

In 18 days Rogue One has managed to rake in over 14MM per day in the USA. Obviously 155MM launch weekend. Every single day this movie is making more money than a lot of film s entire run at the theater in 1 day.

A lot of kids in my area are off the rest of the week. It could easily still clear 10 MM a day the rest of this week into the weekend. 439MM and change going into today just in the States.
By comparison after 18 days . . .

Episode 7 $750M
Rogue One $439M
Episode 3 $307M
Episode 1 $245M
Episode 2 $232M
Episode 4 1997 Re-release $100M
Episode 6 $97M
Episode 5 1997 Re-release$55M
Episode 6 1997 Re-release $37M
Episode 5 N/A - Opened in limited release
Episode 4 N/A - Opened in limited release

Obviously lots of things are different now than back in the day. Episode 4 maxed out initially at a little over 1,000 screens and the cost of a ticket was way less than today. The average ticket price for the original Star Wars was $2.23. Last I saw, the average movie ticket was $8.71 this year and the two recent movies played on 4,100+ screens. So basically, a ticket costs almost 4 times as much and popular films play on 4 times as many screens.

I guess it depends where you live, as a regular priced movie where I am costs $11.25.

red stripe said:
Just saw it, generally liked it, thought the ending was pretty bad ###.  The one thing that tilted me quite a bit was the star destroyer just chilling out 1000 feet above the city.  I remember those things being way too big to enter orbit but my son tells me that in the newer canon thats okay because anti-gravity something something.  Obviously suspension of disbelief is a huge part of being able to enjoy Star Wars but I thought that was a bit much 
It used to be that the gravity of a planet would prevent a ship making the jump to hyperspace, too. That no longer seems to be the case, either.

Anarchy99 said:

Episode 7 $750M
Rogue One $439M
Episode 3 $307M
Episode 1 $245M
Episode 2 $232M
Episode 6 $97M

Obviously lots of things are different now than back in the day. Episode 4 maxed out initially at a little over 1,000 screens and the cost of a ticket was way less than today. The average ticket price for the original Star Wars was $2.23. Last I saw, the average movie ticket was $8.71 this year and the two recent movies played on 4,100+ screens. So basically, a ticket costs almost 4 times as much and popular films play on 4 times as many screens.

I guess it depends where you live, as a regular priced movie where I am costs $11.25.
I have a Cobb Theater where the tix are in that $8 range, even put in new luxury seats and you can get a reserve seat.

There is another place called Cineopolis. Uber upscale pretentious place and for $20 matinee you get to sit in leather recliners. I saw R1 in 3D in that theater...I liked it but I would not see but maybe 2-3 a year there.

Have you gotten the 4 panel Kleenex box yet with R1 characters? I was a sucker at the grocery store, bought several and put them around the house...wife had a #### fit.

It's not a plot hole. It's a nitpick. Why was the princess at the battle in the first place. She could have been waiting a sector away for the rebels to "beam the transmissions to her ship." Instead they physically handed them to her ship and Vader witnessed that happening.
If they could just beam plans from ship to ship there would have been no need to put them on a disk right?  So obviously they couldn't just beam them around.  I kind of assume the movie made such a big deal about the shield opening and using the dish to beam the plans for this reason.

THIS I could see. Makes a lot of sense, when you really think about it. Those leg joints looked super weak in R1.

I also think the rebels might have been a little cocky. They ####ed #### up in R1 with a minimal force. I think they might have been trying to challenge themselves with the whole harpoon gun shtick.
Those were not AT-ATs in Rogue One; they were AT-ACTs. 

If they could just beam plans from ship to ship there would have been no need to put them on a disk right?  So obviously they couldn't just beam them around.  I kind of assume the movie made such a big deal about the shield opening and using the dish to beam the plans for this reason.
Well, they seem to have limited faster than light communication (e.g. the robot pods in ESB communicating real time with the star fleet) so not sure what the disc was for...

Heck, don't get me started on the physics...

Worries about interception?

I guess they haven't figure out 128 point encryption 

How about a movie between 4 and 5? Or even a movie within that movie. 

Cloud City: Vader seizes control 

-The whole thing can be how they force Lando to betray his buddy. 

-Vader spins out in Star Wars, how about a film that shows what happpened after that? How does the Empire recover from the Rebels blowing up the Death Star and probably most of the officers?

Anarchy99 said:

Episode 7 $750M
Rogue One $439M
Episode 3 $307M
Episode 1 $245M
Episode 2 $232M
Episode 6 $97M

I never understood why they don't list movies by ticket sales.  

Austin Powers 3 making more $ than The Maltese Falcon tells me nothing.

I never understood why they don't list movies by ticket sales.  .
it is all marketing.   They want to show "growth" in a market that can never match the old days for ticket sales due to many different reasons.

For example Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 was a massive movie that calculated out to sell 48 million tickets, a huge number in modern times.

Gone with the Wind sold 226 million tickets in its life span.  

There is just no way most modern movies can compete on ticket sales so the marketers use revenue which allows the appearance of growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is all marketing.   They want to show "growth" in a market that can never match the old days for ticket sales due to many different reasons.

For example Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow 2 was a massive movie that calculated out to sell 48 million tickets, a huge number in modern times.

Gone with the Wind sold 226 million tickets in its life span.  

There is just no way a modern movie can compete on ticket sales so the marketers use revenue which allows the appearance of growth.
Yeah, I guess I understand it.  I just find it pointless.  They should at least go by ticket sales for modern times (post VCR or whatever)

Yeah, I guess I understand it.  I just find it pointless.  They should at least go by ticket sales for modern times (post VCR or whatever)
I would prefer it too.

The fighting industry likes to report gate receipts more than attendance and yet pro team sports stick with reporting attendance instead of revenue.  

How about a movie between 4 and 5? Or even a movie within that movie. 

Cloud City: Vader seizes control 

-The whole thing can be how they force Lando to betray his buddy. 

-Vader spins out in Star Wars, how about a film that shows what happpened after that? How does the Empire recover from the Rebels blowing up the Death Star and probably most of the officers?
There's a perfect movie for in between 4&5. Shadows of the Empire. They'll never remake the exact story but I'd be happy if the could pull some of the ideas from it. 

We have talked about it before but the Timothy zahn trilogy with Grand admiral thrawn will always be better to me than force awakens plus the next 2 they do. Unless somehow they blow me away with the next 2.  Doubtful.
With Thrawn debuting in the STAR WARS: REBELS cartoon....they are, to a point, hearing the drum beat of support for the character.  

Without bringing the Zahn books into it (and I thought the Zahn books were darned near perfect).....they could take Thrawn's backstory from it(only non human Grand Admiral/was sent by the Emperor to the Outer Rim to subjugate it) , and do a movie set somewhere in the OT timeline. 

With Thrawn debuting in the STAR WARS: REBELS cartoon....they are, to a point, hearing the drum beat of support for the character.  

Without bringing the Zahn books into it (and I thought the Zahn books were darned near perfect).....they could take Thrawn's backstory from it(only non human Grand Admiral/was sent by the Emperor to the Outer Rim to subjugate it) , and do a movie set somewhere in the OT timeline. 
That sounds great

The main thing I got out of the last two movies is that the X-Wing Fighters are a lot more powerful then I gave them credit for.

Yeah, before cable and vcrs, movies like Gone With The Wind got re-released every couple of years so people could have another chance to see it. Weird to think of a time where if you missed a movie in the two months it was out, you might never have the chance to see it, ever. Or, if you liked it or wanted to study/critique it, there was no way to do so. 
I was going to say that. You can't just look at ticket sales when there was no other avenue to watch a movie just like you can just compare $$$s without inflation. Gone with the Wind came out in 1939, years before TV actually had any traction (around 44,000 TVs in the US in 1947). There was literally nothing else to compete with and no other formats to watch besides going to the movie.

I don't get it.  The list tops out at $1.7B with Gone with the Wind....but then they reveal the non-adjusted which tops out at $2.8B.  Are they adjusting to 1980 dollars?

Edit - got it, they are comparing the adjusted Domestic and the non-adjusted Worldwide.  So I guess Gone with the Wind gets crushed in worldwide gross.

I don't get it.  The list tops out at $1.7B with Gone with the Wind....but then they reveal the non-adjusted which tops out at $2.8B.  Are they adjusting to 1980 dollars?
Ah the top list is domestic and the bottom list is global thus our confusion.

I took my family to see Rogue One a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed it but it wasn't close to the originals IMO.  My 13 year old daughter absolutely loved TFA and saw it twice in the theatre and got the DVD as soon as it came out.  I asked if she wanted to see Rogue One again and she had no interest.   She hated the ending.  She also loves Kylo Ren so that may have something to do with it.

Dark Forces for PS back in the 90s was the last real non sports related video game that I really got sucked into. I enjoyed it immensely and I thought some of it might have inspired Rogue One but that video game or parts of it could easily be turned into a film.

Other rebel missions that we can't necessarily see at the moment I would think could make interesting movies. The issue will be folks who don't feel the thrill of '77. 

I understand not everyone loved this movie, for me and many older fans there was a lot of eye candy in this. I really enjoyed all of the little nuances that they did to acknowledge '77 and even '80 for Empire.

Kind of amazing as most folks or fans prefer Empire and yet it didn't sell the same number of tickets. It did rather well but it certainly didn't come close to the original in actual ticket sales. So people paid and saw 4 n the theaters and were blown away but 3 years later take a pass on Empire...how could anyone say they were a fan back then but didn't see both of them? Never made any sense to me.

Kind of amazing as most folks or fans prefer Empire and yet it didn't sell the same number of tickets. It did rather well but it certainly didn't come close to the original in actual ticket sales. So people paid and saw 4 n the theaters and were blown away but 3 years later take a pass on Empire...how could anyone say they were a fan back then but didn't see both of them? Never made any sense to me.
I think Ep4 benefited from more multiple viewings than Empire and I think that has to do with the age of kids who saw them then.  Empire had the bad guys winning which probably affected how the young fans viewed that movie.  Empire probably wasn't the favorite right off the bat to that demographic, but rather it morphed into the favorite as those fans grew up.  It wouldn't shock me if the ubiuity of VCRs by 1980 also affected ticket sales for Empire.  Ep4 came out just before the explosion in VCR sales.  By 1980, there may have been plenty of viewers who decided any rewatches of Empire would wait until release to video. 

I think Ep4 benefited from more multiple viewings than Empire and I think that has to do with the age of kids who saw them then.  Empire had the bad guys winning which probably affected how the young fans viewed that movie.  Empire probably wasn't the favorite right off the bat to that demographic, but rather it morphed into the favorite as those fans grew up.  It wouldn't shock me if the ubiuity of VCRs by 1980 also affected ticket sales for Empire.  Ep4 came out just before the explosion in VCR sales.  By 1980, there may have been plenty of viewers who decided any rewatches of Empire would wait until release to video. 
Growing up in that period I can tell you we didn't have a VCR until 1984 and I don't remember Blockbuster for example being prominent in 1980. It's still Pinball and Space Invaders at that point. But I hear you.

Your 1st point that perhaps early viewers warned others it's not like Star Wars IV is probably right on. Some folks don't want to see the bad guys win.

Growing up in that period I can tell you we didn't have a VCR until 1984 and I don't remember Blockbuster for example being prominent in 1980. It's still Pinball and Space Invaders at that point. But I hear you.

Your 1st point that perhaps early viewers warned others it's not like Star Wars IV is probably right on. Some folks don't want to see the bad guys win.
I remember being one of the last people in the neighborhood with a VCR...in 1982.  Yeah, Blockbuster wasn't big in 1980, but mom-and-pop video stores had already popped up.

I remember watching Star Wars on my friend's VHS top-loading recorder.  We tried so hard to freeze frame the Alderran destruction, but those 2-head VCRs back then showed so much static when paused.

Dark Forces for PS back in the 90s was the last real non sports related video game that I really got sucked into. I enjoyed it immensely and I thought some of it might have inspired Rogue One but that video game or parts of it could easily be turned into a film.

Other rebel missions that we can't necessarily see at the moment I would think could make interesting movies. The issue will be folks who don't feel the thrill of '77. 

I understand not everyone loved this movie, for me and many older fans there was a lot of eye candy in this. I really enjoyed all of the little nuances that they did to acknowledge '77 and even '80 for Empire.

I was just streaming Dark Forces the other night on Twitch. So many kids had no idea what it was but loved it.

Well, they seem to have limited faster than light communication (e.g. the robot pods in ESB communicating real time with the star fleet) so not sure what the disc was for...

Heck, don't get me started on the physics...
Yeah but those plans took up a lot of megabytes, you know?

In Han Solo movie news, Woody Harrelson is being sought after to play the role of Solo's mentor. 
Meh.  Star Wars ain't exactly Shakespeare.......but I think I like it better when it's relatively unknown and smaller actors.  Woody's star has diminished a bit over the years....but he's still kind of a one name star. 

Users who are viewing this thread