What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Artists, businesses boycott North Carolina over anti-LGBT law (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Bruce Springsteen is the latest:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/08/media/bruce-springsteen-north-carolina-show-canceled/index.html

The newly enacted law requires individuals to use bathrooms that correspond to the gender on their birth certificate, and has drawn fierce criticism for excluding legal protections from gay and transgender people.

"To my mind, it's an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress," Springsteen said in a statement.

The Boss joined Paypal, Wells Fargo, Apple, dozens of performers and writers from Broadway, Hollywood, etc, over 100 companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently had a religious freedom bill vetoed by the governor. I'm sure Home Depot, AT&T, UPS etc. called up and gave him an earful about it, because he was surprisingly passionate about denouncing it, for a republican. The economic impact would've been devastating if that thing passed.

Funniest part is he was so proud of his tickets that he made this a paperless ticket show thinking the demand was gonna be so big and he was gonna really stick the brokers.  Instead he just pulled an impression of Tyler Summitt on Ticketmaster.

He set it up where the tickets couldn't be resold easily, so made a big stink out of it and then pulled out.  The one left holding the bag will be Ticketmaster.  They'll be out around 5% of gross revenues in credit card fees for taking cards and issuing refunds, lost revenues, and overhead of dealing with the issues.

He set it up where the tickets couldn't be resold easily, so made a big stink out of it and then pulled out.  The one left holding the bag will be Ticketmaster.  They'll be out around 5% of gross revenues in credit card fees for taking cards and issuing refunds, lost revenues, and overhead of dealing with the issues.
Do you really think that had 0.001% of the reason for his decision?

Mens bathrooms at a public event, airport, etc. are some of the most vile places on earth. Nobody is fighting to use those things.

I don't know all the details of the NC law but the one in Mississippi has to be unconstitutional imo. People can be denied jobs and housing based on sexual orientation. Bunch of ###-backward dip####s.

I was wondering when a thread on this would be started.  This smells like the wedge issue of 2016.  The conservative base will get fired up in November because transgendered people want to use a different bathroom than their genetics dictate.

For some background, Charlotte passed a bill explicitly allowed transgendered people to use whichever bathroom they identified.  The Republican controlled state General Assembly (and former Charlotte mayor and current NC governor Pat McCrory) passed the new law to overrule Charlotte.

Charlotte passed a law that you could use whatever bathroom you were most comfortable in.  Basically that meant any dude could go into a women's bathroom without repercussions.  People got up in arms because they were worried pervs would hang out in the women's bathrooms praying on young girls.  Raleigh (the state) had an emergency session to overturn this and basically said cities don't have the right to make laws different than the state law.  The state went on to define bathroom use to the sex on your birth certificate.

People have been saying this is an insult to gay people.  I don't ever think this was a l/g issue and is insulting to l/g  This would have been better left alone in the first place as it really wasn't an issue.  Don't ask, don't tell would be perfect in this situation.  Thank you libs and cons for ####### things up.

Charlotte passed a law that you could use whatever bathroom you were most comfortable in.  Basically that meant any dude could go into a women's bathroom without repercussions.  People got up in arms because they were worried pervs would hang out in the women's bathrooms praying on young girls.  Raleigh (the state) had an emergency session to overturn this and basically said cities don't have the right to make laws different than the state law.  The state went on to define bathroom use to the sex on your birth certificate.

People have been saying this is an insult to gay people.  I don't ever think this was a l/g issue and is insulting to l/g  This would have been better left alone in the first place as it really wasn't an issue.  Don't ask, don't tell would be perfect in this situation.  Thank you libs and cons for ####### things up.
These dooshes have made us a laughingstock and pariah. There is a lot more to the bill than just the bathroom stupidity. They did it as quickly as possible so people.couldn't organize against it. We are now more backwards than Georgia. They enshrined discrimination into law. I can't wait to kick them to the curb in November. 

I am ashamed for them as they don't have the decency to.be ashamed themselves.

Ticketmaster taking a huge pounding is only a bonus here. The only unfortunate thing is this isn't a big enough hit to make them fold up and burn into the ether. 

These dooshes have made us a laughingstock and pariah. There is a lot more to the bill than just the bathroom stupidity. They did it as quickly as possible so people.couldn't organize against it. We are now more backwards than Georgia. They enshrined discrimination into law. I can't wait to kick them to the curb in November. 

Yeah, it's embarrassing.  PayPal was gonna be a big deal - as a tech worker, I was really hoping their presence could bring more technology to the area and turn Charlotte into more of a banking town.  

SC, by the way, may be doubling down:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_south_carolina_senator_introduces_bill_he_says_mirrors_north_carolina_anti_lgbt_bill_hb2

Is there a single reported case of a trans person assaulting someone in bathroom? How can this be a legitimate fear?

This is awful but at least it's showcasing why the separation of church and state is so important. These religious whack jobs are a disgrace to our secular nation. 

It should be pointed out our AG has already said his office will not defend this law in court. He is also who I am supporting for Governor.

:lol:   over-react much?  

Yeah, it's embarrassing.  PayPal was gonna be a big deal - as a tech worker, I was really hoping their presence could bring more technology to the area and turn Charlotte into more of a banking town.  

SC, by the way, may be doubling down:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_south_carolina_senator_introduces_bill_he_says_mirrors_north_carolina_anti_lgbt_bill_hb2
These are the kinds of jobs you need to attract young educated people to the state. The kind of folks that drive good job growth that we all need.

You literally could not over-react to the stupidity and awfulness of this law and the backwoods hicks who implemented it. 

It's the same story. Progressives pass ridiculous. React with ridiculous charges of bigotry against those who simply want common sense embodied in public accommodations law. 
Again for the cheap seats there is more here than the stupid bathroom law. Which is stupid.

Again for the cheap seats there is more here than the stupid bathroom law. Which is stupid.
Yes, I deleted my response. Conservatives act over-broadly, call it anti-bathroom law. Can't stand it. It's enough to make one just shake his head.  

Do you really think that had 0.001% of the reason for his decision?
No, do you really think I believed it did?  I was gloating over Ticketmaster getting it broke off in them.  I couldn't care less what he does one way or the other.  It was just interesting that he's one of the few performers who think their tickets need to be paperless to start with.  Ticketmaster enables them to do so and then gets stuck on the financial hook.

Yeah, there's much more to this in Mississippi particularly..

The law says it protects from discrimination claims anyone who believes that marriage is between one man and one woman, that sexual relations are reserved solely for marriage, and that the terms male and female pertain only to a person's genetics and anatomy at birth.
Under the law, religious organizations will be able to deny LGBT people marriage, adoption and foster care services; fire or refuse to employ them; and decline to rent or sell them property. Medical professionals will be permitted to refuse to participate in treatments, counseling and surgery related to "sex reassignment or gender identity transitioning."

Obviously, no sane individual could defend that.

Ticketmaster taking a huge pounding is only a bonus here. The only unfortunate thing is this isn't a big enough hit to make them fold up and burn into the ether. 
Yeah I know.  It's not going to kill them but any hit to their profitability is always a plus in my book.

What interests me the most about this, and the reason I started the thread, is not so much the issue itself but the decision by Springsteen and the corporations to boycott. 

The Civil Rights movement was successful in this country when Martin Luther King and other black leaders convinced northern corporations and businesses to withhold money from the south. As soon as they did that, segregation was essentially over. 

It appears that, in Indiana and North Carolina, the LGBT movement has successfully imitated this strategy, and I suspect they're going to be just as successful. 

Users who are viewing this thread