What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Child Tax Credit - Age 17? (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
So, I'm filing my taxes this year and realized only one of my two kids is eligible for the Child Tax Credit... WTF?  Her 18th birthday is in 2016 so I figured she would be good through 2015 but the law was changed at some point so that the child has to be less that 17 years old in the year you are filing (2015 in this case).  So now I have to write a check to Uncle Same for $748.

I'm posting as a PSA to other unsuspecting parents of 17 year old kids to inform them the law has changed.

Also, would like to know when the law was changed from 18 to 17 - just so I know when I lost touch with things of this nature.

Finally, which political party should I be mad at for this change?  I'm assuming it's all Obama's fault, but want to be sure - TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm filing my taxes this year and realized only one of my two kids is eligible for the Child Tax Credit... WTF?  Her 18th birthday is in 2016 so I figured she would be good through 2015 but the law was changed at some point so that the child has to be less that 17 years old in the year you are filing (2015 in this case).  So now I have to write a check to Uncle Same for $748.

I'm posting as a PSA to other unsuspecting parents of 17 year old kids to inform them the law has changed.

Also, would like to know when the law was changed from 18 to 17 - just so I know when I lost touch with things of this nature.

Finally, which political party should I be mad at for this change?  I'm assuming it's all Obama's fault, but want to be sure - TIA!
As far as I know the law hasn't changed and has been written as such for a number of years.

If anything, you should thank Obama, as his administration extended the $1,000 per child cap in 2010 (an extension of the "Bush Tax Cuts") and made it permanent in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
For ####s, I went back to 2003's 1040 instructions.  Same wording, "child who was under age 17 at the end of 2003".  Not sure how far back it goes, don't feel like searching any further.

Yea.. we got hit with that this year also... :( We always played it close so we either paid in less the $100 or got back less then a $100.. Had to pay in about  $400 this year... went and dropped my deductions from 3 to 2 which hopefully will cover it next April. 

If you have kids going to college, make sure you get the $2500 credit you're allowed. I used to do my own, but found out I could have been taking that credit, had to file an amended return for 4 years in a row to get that credit back. 

If  you have kids going to college, make sure you get the $2500 credit you're allowed. I used to do my own, but found out I could have been taking that credit, had to file an amended return for 4 years in a row to get that credit back. 
Yeah. I missed that some how. I need to ammend one from 2 years ago

Users who are viewing this thread