What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***CHAINSAW*** Gears of War 4 (beta Apr 18th, release Oct 11th) (1 Viewer)

madshot31

Footballguy
The next Gears is on its way and is following the successfully redone Gears Ultimate(GoW1). In a week of n the 18th I will be firing up the beta when pre access gets it for playing ultimate edition by today, the 11th. The beta will be open to everyone on the 25th and end on the 1st.

Tomorrow  - the new gears commercial. Remind me heavily of the Mad World spot a decade back.

The full title releases on October 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 Maps at Launch. This includes Gridlock.

24 post launch maps within the first year totaling 34 overall. The maps are going to be FREE to play in public matches. There will be dlc costs if you want to play private matches with them, but only one person in a group has to own the dlc for everyone to use them in privates. 

This is great news to keep the population high after new maps drop.

The beta keys are being released in chronological order of who played Gears Ultimate first after its launch FYI. I hope to be on tonight.

My kid got the Gears of War Xbone bundle for Christmas, will we be able to play in the beta?
If he ha played it online in multiplayer before April 11th, then yes. The codes will be sent through Xbox messages and he should get one later in the week(codes by chronological). On the 25th it also becomes a open beta and anyone can play.

I don't know how they're calculating it but my 1 friend, Manakin, started day 1. When do they hand out the keys? He hasn't seen it yet. 

Since I only started playing a month or so ago for Ultimate edition, I expect my token by September.

I don't know how they're calculating it but my 1 friend, Manakin, started day 1. When do they hand out the keys? He hasn't seen it yet. 

Since I only started playing a month or so ago for Ultimate edition, I expect my token by September.
They said chronological from who played first, but they have ####ed it up and have given codes to new people and failed to players at launch. They are now blaming Microsoft for their message system in failing at sending the correct codes but yet it failed them last time in their betas and they still decided to use them again. A little salty here.

So I may have nicely tweeted out to the community manager at The Coalition. One code later with game sharing Dainty and I are logging in.

PS- that means we might get two more codes tomorrow

Game feels great as a initial impression. Weapons do big damage. The hammerburst is weak compared to the lancer so far. The new reverse digger weapon is op.

The game is super smooth and the gnasher is a better version of GoW3. The torque bow sounds funny and long shot has the crunch like GoW1, also good hit detection. Matches have drop in drop out and bots. Also team migration for players as far as I can tell.

The hit detection is pretty damn good as of now. The sniper feels like a smoother Gears 1. Gnasher is like a smoother Gears 3. 

Also love that you can create a party and pull them with you. It's a very pretty game. Also there are  "cards" that you can earn and play for bonus xp and then you have to achieve the thing stated on them to get the bonus.

Also they brought back a similar ranking system to Gears 2 I think. Apparently I am Silver 2 after 10 games. 

The game is back to Gears2/3 player counts with 5 vs 5. Also up to 12 people in match allowing 2 people to watch or ref apparently.

Dodgeball will be be a amazing game type in competitive (ESL) and casual play. It is exactly like dodgeball from elementary school. Basically warzone with a person respawning everytime you kill someone. Huge swings going from 1v4 to 3v2 in mere seconds. Had a blast playing it and it is the great compromise for warzone/execution players and respawning game type players. I hope more people like it because it is so much better than TDM and rivals Execution with suspense. :thumbs up:

Madshot, I got your text but didn't see it until this morning and didn't want to wake you by responding then. 

I see you've already played so you know the answer to your question already. 

I'm ready to make a comeback here.  Rebuilding my game room completely shortly.  Give me the FAQ on this, just a beta for now?  What happened to the other one? 

I'm ready to make a comeback here.  Rebuilding my game room completely shortly.  Give me the FAQ on this, just a beta for now?  What happened to the other one? 
This is in beta right now and goes open beta on the 25th till the 1st. The real game comes out in fall. The other one is ultimate edition (gow1 remake) and is a solid game but the shooting mechanics, ie the shoot from center of screen instead of your gun is just weird and causes unnecessary rage due to the inconsistencies it creates. If they would have changed that the game would be fantastic, as of now it's  7/10 imo.

This game however is the smoothest gears ever and has the correct shooting mechanics. It is beta so there will be glitches and stuff but that's fine.

only deal i see now  is preorder with Prime is 47.99.....debating whether to get back into this...
That's pretty good deal.

But I already preordered. Just want to no when we can start downloading this ####. It's supposedly 80gbs. I'd like to play Friday at midnight but if we're all downloading it that ain't gonna happen.

FYI apparently we've been able to preload Gears 4 since 9/27. Just have to uninstall the placeholder and reinstall. 54gb.

I need a second xbox to do this right.  I use my xbox one in my main living room and my wife can't really take me talking to Uni and the string of 4 letter words that come out often.

My best friend and I decided to get this because we need something newer than FIFA15 and Halo 5.  See you guys out there!

Sounds like digital is the way to go...

I need a second xbox to do this right.  I use my xbox one in my main living room and my wife can't really take me talking to Uni and the string of 4 letter words that come out often.
It's okay, Uni doesn't even know there's a new game.

Reviews are coming in.  9.2 from IGN, 9 from Polygon, 8 from Destructoid, 7 from Gamespot (that one is a littly worrying).  Seems like the themes are all the same - this is a very "safe" game that stays true to the Gears roots and doesn't really reinvent the wheel.  

From The Verge:

“If you’re a fan of the series, you’ll like it.” It’s a perennial cliché in games criticism and something I almost always try to avoid. It’s a lazy way to bunt on actual appraisal of the title in question, playing off presupposed notions of what the reader wants to hear.

But things are a little different with Gears of War. Once Microsoft’s standard bearer for the Xbox 360, the series’ stock has fallen somewhat following the last installment, 2013’s tepidly received Gears of War: Judgement. Stewardship of the series has been taken over by a newly assembled studio named The Coalition, echoing the way Microsoft set up 343 Industries to take control of Halo. And both Judgement and 343’s Halo games alike have been criticized for changing up their formulas in unwelcome ways.

So know that when I say this, it’s a statement with some meaning: if you’re a fan of the series, you’ll like Gears of War 4.

[. . .]

If Gears of War 4 left me wanting more, though, The Coalition has done its job well. This is as safe a sequel as you could imagine, but I think that’s exactly what was needed to remind people why the series matters in the first place. There’s room for a more dramatic reinvention down the line, and it’ll be disappointing if the inevitable next game is as conservative as this one. But Gears of War 4 is a great way to get into Gears for the first or fifth time, proving that the series is in solid hands.

ZOMG Dom is such a poorly developed character, I want to know what he was really FEELING when the bugs closed in on him.

culdeus said:
Anyone that writes a review based on single player can blow me.  

Who the #### cares?
I like the single player (and co-op campaign)  :shrug:

I'll be streaming the campaign tonight at midnight with my buddy Pablo.  Multiplayer is secondary to me.

culdeus, bell, orc: 

order the hard copy. sell it to me for $10 bucks after 2 weeks. TIA

culdeus, bell, orc: 

order the hard copy. sell it to me for $10 bucks after 2 weeks. TIA
I played fairly consistently for like 3 years on 1 and 2.  3 I never really liked but stayed with it because someone brought a girl into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread