What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2016 Indianapolis Colts Thread ** (1 Viewer)

I'm hoping we can get an offensive lineman. OT Taylor Decker of Ohio State seems like a great choice if available at 18. Pass protection for Andrew Luck is imperative for his overall success, and his long term health. Luck has only had one 100 yard rusher since he has been with the Colts. You can't win a Super Bowl if you have a one-dimensional offense, like we've had as of late. We also need tweaks on the defensive line and the secondary.

Thoughts?

Source: Mike Wells -- ESPN Staff Writer 
http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16441/colts-gm-ryan-grigson-has-been-relatively-successful-drafting-in-the-early-rounds 

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts only have six picks to address their needs on the offensive line, linebacker -- outside and inside -- and at running back in the draft later this month.

While they have a selection in every round except the sixth, you can expect general manager Ryan Grigson to do what he can to try to get some more picks. Let’s take a look at the highs and lows of the Colts’ picks in the first three rounds under Grigson since he was hired in 2012.

First round

High: QB Andrew Luck (2012). Is there any question about that? The franchise quarterback has thrown for 14,838 yards, 101 touchdowns and led the Colts to the playoffs in three of his four seasons. The Colts couldn't ask for a better replacement for Peyton Manning.

Low: Trading 2014 first-round pick to Cleveland for running back Trent Richardson in September 2013. Selecting linebacker Bjoern Werner, who was released earlier in the offseason after three disappointing seasons, is second on the list. Richardson failed to crack 1,000 yards rushing (977) in his two seasons with the Colts before being released in March 2015.

Second round

High: Take your pick. Tight end Coby Fleener in 2012, giving the Miami Dolphins their 2013 second-round pick for cornerback Vontae Davis -- who has been to back-to-back Pro Bowls -- and picking guard Jack Mewhort in 2014.

Low: None. Grigson gave up last year’s second-round pick to move back, which led to the selections of safety Clayton Geathers and cornerback D’Joun Smith. Geathers is in line to start at safety next season and Smith is expected to push Darius Butler to be the team’s slot cornerback. No complaints here.

Third round

High: WR T.Y. Hilton. Not only has Hilton made back-to-back Pro Bowl appearances, but he’s totaled 283 receptions, 4,413 yards and 24 touchdowns as Luck’s big-play receiver. The Colts gave Hilton a five-year, $65 million contract extension last year.

Low: An argument could be made for guard Hugh Thornton because he’s lacked the type of consistency the Colts have sought, but he’s started 32 of the 37 games he's appeared in during his three-year career and the team isn’t ready to give up on him. Owner Jim Irsay talked pretty high about Thornton recently to give you the indication that he’ll have a chance to continue to start at right guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need OL but they don't HAVE TO take one in the 1st rd.  I'd like to see them take a pass rusher in the 1st and an OL in the 2nd and take BPA in 3rd and 4th.

They need OL but they don't HAVE TO take one in the 1st rd.  I'd like to see them take a pass rusher in the 1st and an OL in the 2nd and take BPA in 3rd and 4th.
Who exactly would you take as a pass rusher? 

Who exactly would you take as a pass rusher? Darron Lee is the best pass rusher in the draft, but I'm thinking he will go to Atlanta at 17.
Pass Rushers

• Eastern Kentucky’s Noah Spence (6-3, 261): Despite failed drug tests that forced Spence to transfer from Ohio State, this is your top pass rusher of 2016. Spence has been clean for over a year, so his red flags appear to be slightly less dense than other draftees with character questions. Spence’s name has been all over Mock Drafts, throughout the first round. You know the Colts are going to due their diligence of studying Spence, just in case he’s sitting there at No. 18.

• Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith (6-2, 240): Had the Fiesta Bowl never happened, Smith wouldn’t find his name anywhere on this list. That’s because he wouldn’t be a realistic option for the Colts at No. 18. However, a torn ACL and PCL (plus a stretched nerve) has Smith’s draft position extremely medical dependent. Can teams afford to take a player who might have to redshirt as a rookie? If healthy, this rangy linebacker would have been a sure fire top 5-10 pick. Smith hails from Fort Wayne and was the 2012 Indiana Mr. Football.

• Clemson’s Shaq Lawson (6-2, 269): Lawson isn’t your typical pure speed rusher. A spin move reminiscent of Dwight Freeney is Lawson’s forte. In helping Clemson to a No. 1 ranking last season, Lawson was a menace. A final season of 24.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks has teams intrigued by Lawson, even if there are questions about him playing as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. Lawson appears to be projected right in the ballpark for where the Colts are picking in Round One.

• Georgia’s Leonard Floyd (6-4, 244): Taking a look at Floyd and you immediately notice a slender frame. Floyd has heard that from NFL teams. At this level, personnel people view Floyd as a pass rusher first, with added weight likely needed to become an every down linebacker. Floyd’s speed is certainly a strength and incorporating more pass rushing moves is a goal for the Georgia native. In Mock Drafts, Floyd has been slotted right around the middle-to-late part of the first round.

• Utah State’s Kyler Fackrell (6-5, 250): This former high school quarterback/wide receiver is a rare 3-4 hybrid coming from the collegiate level. Fackrell had 12 sacks and four interceptions in his three healthy seasons. At 6-5, there’s some worry about the bendability of Fackrell to get underneath offensive linemen when pass rushing. We are seeing Fackrell as a second-round pick in Mock Drafts.

Pass Rushers

• Eastern Kentucky’s Noah Spence (6-3, 261): Despite failed drug tests that forced Spence to transfer from Ohio State, this is your top pass rusher of 2016. Spence has been clean for over a year, so his red flags appear to be slightly less dense than other draftees with character questions. Spence’s name has been all over Mock Drafts, throughout the first round. You know the Colts are going to due their diligence of studying Spence, just in case he’s sitting there at No. 18.

• Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith (6-2, 240): Had the Fiesta Bowl never happened, Smith wouldn’t find his name anywhere on this list. That’s because he wouldn’t be a realistic option for the Colts at No. 18. However, a torn ACL and PCL (plus a stretched nerve) has Smith’s draft position extremely medical dependent. Can teams afford to take a player who might have to redshirt as a rookie? If healthy, this rangy linebacker would have been a sure fire top 5-10 pick. Smith hails from Fort Wayne and was the 2012 Indiana Mr. Football.

• Clemson’s Shaq Lawson (6-2, 269): Lawson isn’t your typical pure speed rusher. A spin move reminiscent of Dwight Freeney is Lawson’s forte. In helping Clemson to a No. 1 ranking last season, Lawson was a menace. A final season of 24.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks has teams intrigued by Lawson, even if there are questions about him playing as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker. Lawson appears to be projected right in the ballpark for where the Colts are picking in Round One.

• Georgia’s Leonard Floyd (6-4, 244): Taking a look at Floyd and you immediately notice a slender frame. Floyd has heard that from NFL teams. At this level, personnel people view Floyd as a pass rusher first, with added weight likely needed to become an every down linebacker. Floyd’s speed is certainly a strength and incorporating more pass rushing moves is a goal for the Georgia native. In Mock Drafts, Floyd has been slotted right around the middle-to-late part of the first round.

• Utah State’s Kyler Fackrell (6-5, 250): This former high school quarterback/wide receiver is a rare 3-4 hybrid coming from the collegiate level. Fackrell had 12 sacks and four interceptions in his three healthy seasons. At 6-5, there’s some worry about the bendability of Fackrell to get underneath offensive linemen when pass rushing. We are seeing Fackrell as a second-round pick in Mock Drafts.
If it were up to me, I'd go after Spence or Lawson. From a character perspective, I think teams will shy away from Spence early in the first round so I imagine he will be available. Although I still feel as if an OT is the most important to grab early. 

Optimistic IMO. OL is still a weakness and the defense is void of playmakers. Colt's will be dog fighting in that division this year and it would not be shocking to me seeing them at the bottom of a tight divisional race.
OL is certainly weak and it's imperative we snag some lineman in the draft. Defensive backs are a necessity as well. AFC South is probably the weakest division in football, but it's looking like the Titans, Texans and Jaguars are starting to attract some talent. 

OL is certainly weak and it's imperative we snag some lineman in the draft. Defensive backs are a necessity as well. AFC South is probably the weakest division in football, but it's looking like the Titans, Texans and Jaguars are starting to attract some talent. 
It is a weak division but things can change quickly (NFC West). Like you said the other squads seem to be adding talent. I think someone out of TEN/HOU/JAC takes a good step forward this year while the remaining make progress. I am not sure what IND game plan is yet as they have been pretty quiet. I would have thought they would have been more aggressive in their attempts to protect their biggest asset but unless I missed something they appear to be taking a backseat this offseason.

It is a weak division but things can change quickly (NFC West). Like you said the other squads seem to be adding talent. I think someone out of TEN/HOU/JAC takes a good step forward this year while the remaining make progress. I am not sure what IND game plan is yet as they have been pretty quiet. I would have thought they would have been more aggressive in their attempts to protect their biggest asset but unless I missed something they appear to be taking a backseat this offseason.
Smartest move they made was not get involved in free agency this year.  It's bad enough they failed at it last year but this year is a bad year for free agency.   The Colts will draft offensive lineman early in the draft this year.  They may not select one in the 1st rd if a stud pass rusher falls to them in the 1st.  I predict the Colts will draft 2 offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds and I predict that to be rounds 2 and 3.

Smartest move they made was not get involved in free agency this year.  It's bad enough they failed at it last year but this year is a bad year for free agency.   The Colts will draft offensive lineman early in the draft this year.  They may not select one in the 1st rd if a stud pass rusher falls to them in the 1st.  I predict the Colts will draft 2 offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds and I predict that to be rounds 2 and 3.
I agree it is poor management to spend money for the sake of spending money however it has been crickets in IND and I thought they would at least be linked to inquiring about some FA lineman. All is forgiven if they can land some impactful help in the draft.

I think the Colts would love to see Conklin there (Detroit?) but that is doubtful. 

Taylor Decker (OSU) fills a need but I would rather see them trade down and draft Ryan Kelly (Bama) or Jason Spriggs (IU).

I think the Colts would love to see Conklin there (Detroit?) but that is doubtful. 

Taylor Decker (OSU) fills a need but I would rather see them trade down and draft Ryan Kelly (Bama) or Jason Spriggs (IU).
Decker is most certainly a need, although Grigson (GM) said they're going to take the best player available (over needs) in all 6 of their draft selections. They must get it right this year or Grigson needs to be gone. He is horrible at drafting players. We need defensive backs and offensive lineman...very badly. Luck needs to be protected. 

They need to get high quality O-linemen. Instant starters. If they get that and nothing else, they will compete for the division title. A bad year seems to make people forget how good Luck is. Protect him and he will carry the team offensively to whatever point total they need to win. Draft O-line early and take a bunch swings on defense late. They can afford to miss on defense, I hope last year showed them that they can't afford to be careless with Luck.

They need to get high quality O-linemen. Instant starters. If they get that and nothing else, they will compete for the division title. A bad year seems to make people forget how good Luck is. Protect him and he will carry the team offensively to whatever point total they need to win. Draft O-line early and take a bunch swings on defense late. They can afford to miss on defense, I hope last year showed them that they can't afford to be careless with Luck.
You're absolutely right. Jacksonville seems to be getting better rather quickly, Houston now has what they believe as a franchise quarterback, Tennessee has their QB and they showed flashes of improvement last year. Luck is an incredible QB, although he can't live up to his full potential until he has some protection. Grigson is trying to make the draft picks look attractive rather than focusing on needs. That's why I felt as if he should be gone this off-season. The division is finally improving, now we need to do the same. This draft is very crucial and we can't afford to make any bad picks. 

You're absolutely right. Jacksonville seems to be getting better rather quickly, Houston now has what they believe as a franchise quarterback, Tennessee has their QB and they showed flashes of improvement last year. Luck is an incredible QB, although he can't live up to his full potential until he has some protection. Grigson is trying to make the draft picks look attractive rather than focusing on needs. That's why I felt as if he should be gone this off-season. The division is finally improving, now we need to do the same. This draft is very crucial and we can't afford to make any bad picks. 
Exactly. Grigson should've been gone and I can't for the life of me figured out how he managed to stick. But again, last year should've made it glaringly apparent to them that their win total hinges on a healthy and upright Luck. Build a fortress around the QB, hitch a wagon to him, and ride. Look at the longest tenured NFL coaches and GMs, the majority of them have a star quarterback. Give Luck the chance to blow the league up and he will. Plus the pass rush is going to be rough from the Jags and Texans this year. Colts have to respond and if they don't, I could see Luck actually balk a little at signing that 1 trillion dollar extension they are hinting at at

Exactly. Grigson should've been gone and I can't for the life of me figured out how he managed to stick. But again, last year should've made it glaringly apparent to them that their win total hinges on a healthy and upright Luck. Build a fortress around the QB, hitch a wagon to him, and ride. Look at the longest tenured NFL coaches and GMs, the majority of them have a star quarterback. Give Luck the chance to blow the league up and he will. Plus the pass rush is going to be rough from the Jags and Texans this year. Colts have to respond and if they don't, I could see Luck actually balk a little at signing that 1 trillion dollar extension they are hinting at at
Absolutely. I'm glad they kept Chuck though -- he is real popular with the players. Grigson kept bumping heads with Chuck for lord only knows why. Offensive lineman and defensive backs are imperative acquisitions. I hope we can make some noise this year in the draft because we did absolutely nothing in free agency. 

Current depth chart, which may not mean much, shows Gore and Turbin as 1 and 2. I am having a tough time believing they will go to war with these guys. Any dark horses you guys like? I thought Josh Robinson flashed in preseason last year. Any plans to bring him back? Damn shame for Luck.

I don't think Robinson is on the team anymore, I've seen a couple guys draft Josh Ferguson late in rookie drafts. He's an undrafted FA, hasn't really peaked my interest.

Current depth chart, which may not mean much, shows Gore and Turbin as 1 and 2. I am having a tough time believing they will go to war with these guys. Any dark horses you guys like? I thought Josh Robinson flashed in preseason last year. Any plans to bring him back? Damn shame for Luck.
Please explain to me why going to war with Gore would be a bad thing? That offense as a whole had a bad year last year and had an absolutely awful offensive line. He still played 16 games. He didn't have a great year but I attribute a lot of that to the offense. Also seems like everyone has forgotten that Gore is a true 3 down back who can catch and block. Give me Gore at a value please. He has RB1 potential. As a handcuff, my money is on Varga or Ferguson. Varga got first team work and has already been a part of the offense for a year (even if injured)

My skepticism about Gore lays mainly in the fact that he will be 33yo on opening day and averaged 3.7 ypc LY. I also recall him fumbling more than once in a key goal line situation LY. 

Better line this year and a real QB. Any other RB in the NFL and we would be excited. I get that his age is scary but until I see him slow down, I'm betting on him. He averaged 4.34 ypc behind that garbage line when Luck was playing. I believe, it'll get better this year. And if I'm wrong, #### it is costing you next to nothing to get him this year.

Greetings Colts fans, good luck this year. Has there been any word on whether Chudcas OC will be using more or less of the 2 WR sets? This is really about Allen and I suppose Dorsett in some ways, what kind of years are expected from them?

Greetings Colts fans, good luck this year. Has there been any word on whether Chudcas OC will be using more or less of the 2 WR sets? This is really about Allen and I suppose Dorsett in some ways, what kind of years are expected from them?
If the offensive line can protect Luck without extra help on normal downs, they'll play three wide.   11 personnel was the predominate set in training camp when the 1s played vs. the 1s.    They might even get away with 11 personnel since Allen is an excellent blocker.  Alas, that will destroy his value as we saw in the 3rd preseason game when the TEs were rarely looked at, much less targeted.  Even in the 3rd preseason game debacle, some of their more successive plays were the few 5-wides they through at the Eagles.

Due to trust, and past successes, I expect TY and Donte to be targetted heavily.  If that proves fruitful, I anticipate Dorsett will be an occasional complimentary piece.  No matter how much the offensive line improves, there'll rarely have time for 9 routes or going to the 3rd read.

As for Allen, it all depends on how much he's needed for blocking.  At this point in time, it seems like a lot.

Do any of you Coltsguys think there's an NFL future for Erik Swoope? I love the guy, but there's no sense in that if real GM's don't. Lately the Colts have been dropping him, picking him back up, promoting and demoting him, in Roster-managment moves - clearly he's in the 'churn zone', or they feel like he's their little project that no one else is going to have any interest in...I keep expecting him to get picked up by a TE-needy Team (c'mon Chargers, Cowboys, Lions, and other usual suspects), but it seems like the Colts add him back the minute he clears waivers...seems to have some parallels to Rico Gathers, except Swoope went to Miami, Fl, so I have an unconscious bias working to believe he has more potential as an NFL TE.

Thoughts?

^^

@JohnnyU or anyone else who's a Colts insider:

I have to make a Dynasty decision regarding Erik Swoope vs Mo Alie-Cox in the very near future. Based on what you're hearing/what you know, which one would you kick out of the lifeboat?

Swoope is closer than MA-C to hitting the field today, but assuming both are healthy at some point down the stretch, which would hold more value ROS?

^^

I have to make a Dynasty decision regarding Erik Swoope vs Mo Alie-Cox in the very near future. Based on what you're hearing/what you know, which one would you kick out of the lifeboat?

Swoope is closer than MA-C to hitting the field today, but assuming both are healthy at some point down the stretch, which would hold more value ROS?
Alie-Cox is the better blocker, so I give him the nod in snaps.  They could activate Hamm or sign a FA.  I can’t see starting any Colts TE not named Enron.

^^

Cox is far better than Swoope.  That being said, Cox seems raw as he has limited time actually playing football.  I dont like "raw" prospects as it always seems they categorize everyone that is an athlete with this raw potential.  Cox has had some really nice snags though.  He isn't the TE Ebron or Doyle is and will never be a possession guy.

Users who are viewing this thread