What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anarchy at It Again (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Pursuing an idea and concept I had a long time ago, I wanted to make a new league / contest and was interested in finding a solution to hosting and scoring it. Essentially, I wanted to make a league with as many people wanted to play (so no cap on total number of owners).

Using relatively normal scoring and starting roster rules (1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE) / 1 PK / 1 DEF and 1 PPR scoring), each team can pick any NFL player to start each week with the only limitation that you can only play a player once over the course of a season. So you can play Antonio Brown in Week 1 . . . or Week 6 . . . or Week 14 . . . or whenever, but you can only play him once. Could have both all play records and total points across the season in the same contest.

The issue, of course, is what site would be capable of hosting it and how complicated would it be to run it. Any ideas?

Not sure. I haven't done a Yahoo league in like 10 years. Can't say that I am current on their offerings. Can anyone else confirm or deny?

Two seasons ago someone from this board set one of those up for the last half of a season at MFL, which doesn't charge for midseason leagues.  But I imagine you'd incur its standard charges for a full season league.  I'll pm you the link to that league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be FFTOC.COM Loved playing that format....they stopped running it and started endorsing daily fantasy games. They have a memorial page at that address.

I thought ESPN has something like this. I've heard Matthew Berry talk about it. Something like Gridiron Eliminator 

ETA: well this did exist but it no longer does

Pursuing an idea and concept I had a long time ago, I wanted to make a new league / contest and was interested in finding a solution to hosting and scoring it. Essentially, I wanted to make a league with as many people wanted to play (so no cap on total number of owners).

Using relatively normal scoring and starting roster rules (1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE) / 1 PK / 1 DEF and 1 PPR scoring), each team can pick any NFL player to start each week with the only limitation that you can only play a player once over the course of a season. So you can play Antonio Brown in Week 1 . . . or Week 6 . . . or Week 14 . . . or whenever, but you can only play him once. Could have both all play records and total points across the season in the same contest.

The issue, of course, is what site would be capable of hosting it and how complicated would it be to run it. Any ideas?
I actually started building a site a couple years ago to do this exact thing. (The only difference is I ran it as a survivor league and knocked teams out each week until there would only be two left in week 17.)  I got a few friends to try it out with me, and it went pretty well for a few weeks, then I abandoned it to work on something else (5bomb.com). I always intended to resurect this effort and finish it off.

I'd also be curious to know if something like this exists. Otherwise, maybe I should resurrect that effort sooner. A lot of the basics were working.

It sounded like MFL could handle it (see link above).
I ended up doing the pay league linked above, it totaled about 70 teams.  Quite fun, finished like 5th.  I think doing it by going deeper into the player pool, closer to the Anarchy settings, and going 17 weeks instead of 16, would make it even more challenging.  I think MFL charges like 70 during its discount period, so it would only be a matter of collecting 2 or 3 dollars per team vial Paypal if we wanted to do it here.

I ended up doing the pay league linked above, it totaled about 70 teams.  Quite fun, finished like 5th.  I think doing it by going deeper into the player pool, closer to the Anarchy settings, and going 17 weeks instead of 16, would make it even more challenging.  I think MFL charges like 70 during its discount period, so it would only be a matter of collecting 2 or 3 dollars per team vial Paypal if we wanted to do it here.
I'm definitely in, either for league fees only or if we wanted to throw $10, or $25, or whatever on top to make it interesting. Always wanted to take a crack at a format like this.  :thumbup:

I missed this until now. 

I participate in a league on MFL similar to this. Except, it is actually a 12 team league with h2h match ups each week. You can choose a player twice each season. 

We have standard playoff system. 

I'm definitely in, either for league fees only or if we wanted to throw $10, or $25, or whatever on top to make it interesting. Always wanted to take a crack at a format like this.  :thumbup:
Here's what MFL is charging this year.

♦ $69.95 per league if purchased by June 10, 2017

♦ $79.95 per league if purchased after June 10 and on or before August 1, 2017

♦ $89.95 per league if purchased after August 1, 2017

We also offer discounts for purchasing more than one league (save $10 on each additional league.)
I don't mind fronting the money as long as I get enough commitments to defray the costs.  I plan on  paying for my long-time league by June 10, so if we get 12 total to say they are in by then (so no more than $5 per person), I'll pull the trigger.  Also, when I hear from the pay league guy about the upcoming year, I'll post here as well.  It was 25 last season but he was talking about either bumping it up to 35 or having a 25 league and a 50 league.

I'll probably wind up signing up for this one just to cover my bases, but for FBG purposes does anyone remember when MFL opens up their site for creating free in-season leagues? I think last year it might have been as early as October.

I do remember seeing the "start each only once" checkbox as an option when creating in-season leagues last year, so if we don't get enough commitments now, we can probably set it up for free as long as we're willing to run it from Weeks 6-17 or something like that.

I'll probably wind up signing up for this one just to cover my bases, but for FBG purposes does anyone remember when MFL opens up their site for creating free in-season leagues? I think last year it might have been as early as October.

I do remember seeing the "start each only once" checkbox as an option when creating in-season leagues last year, so if we don't get enough commitments now, we can probably set it up for free as long as we're willing to run it from Weeks 6-17 or something like that.
Last year it was Week 8:

Free MidSeason Leagues! (Published Mon Oct 24 10:43:33 p.m. ET 2016)

Is your fantasy football team in the gutter this season? Would you like to wash it all away and start over? Well now you can! MyFantasyLeague.com is pleased to announce FREE Mid-Season Leagues running all the way through Week 17.

You can create a new free mid-season league by clicking on this page for more details. Or, your commissioner can use the Duplicate This League option to set up a midseason league with the same settings and scoring rules as your current league.

Sincerely,
The MyFantasyLeague.com Team
And yes, you can set up "start each only once."  I played in one a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread