What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA In Death Spiral? (1 Viewer)

I'll be 100% honest for me its been the new board upgrade and two reasons in particular.

1. Only 25 topics per page. Fairly recent topics fall off the first page very quickly. Call it laziness or just being used to Google but I RARELY click on the second page of topics. So I look at the smaller page 1 of topics and if I dont see anything that interests me I move on very quickly.

2. The quote bug annoys the heck out of me on my phone. I could go and post in a thread that I replied to last week and my quote from last week still pops up and is impossible to delete. I end up giving up and not posting at all.

I'll be 100% honest for me its been the new board upgrade and two reasons in particular.

1. Only 25 topics per page. Fairly recent topics fall off the first page very quickly. Call it laziness or just being used to Google but I RARELY click on the second page of topics. So I look at the smaller page 1 of topics and if I dont see anything that interests me I move on very quickly.

2. The quote bug annoys the heck out of me on my phone. I could go and post in a thread that I replied to last week and my quote from last week still pops up and is impossible to delete. I end up giving up and not posting at all.
:goodposting:

So FBG's is basically slowing killing the FFA.  Intentional or simple incompetence?

agreed on those points  :thumbup:

went to post in the Bella Thorne thread last week, and the quote function kept inserting multiple quotes, which i could not delete, was such a hop in the #### that i let it go ... tried again a few days later, same problem   :wall:

Exactly new forum is awful. Agree with above an even yesterday went to look at last post in a forum & it said one minute ago. Went to last post and it was from the day before. And frankly this is nothing but political crap all throughout, got old along time ago people. Quit opening 200 new threads a day on the same political garbage, geez.

This.  Also, no pics hurts and keeps me away.

Exactly new forum is awful. Agree with above an even yesterday went to look at last post in a forum & it said one minute ago. Went to last post and it was from the day before. And frankly this is nothing but political crap all throughout, got old along time ago people. Quit opening 200 new threads a day on the same political garbage, geez.
So, what would you like to come in here and talk about?  Nothing stopping people from starting threads about different stuff.

Agree on these two points completely. 

Combine that with people getting older and more outlets competing for our online attention.  Like somebody posted in another thread, message boards are 10 years ago, and I bet a lot more people are just using Twitter and other things more.  I know I loved to come in here because there seemed to be a great core of people that were hovering around and actually discussing things.  Maybe it's just MY old age, but it seems there are less and less posters that discuss things rationally and more just trolling or popping in for a quick snarky comment.

Agree on these two points completely. 

Combine that with people getting older and more outlets competing for our online attention.  Like somebody posted in another thread, message boards are 10 years ago, and I bet a lot more people are just using Twitter and other things more.  I know I loved to come in here because there seemed to be a great core of people that were hovering around and actually discussing things.  Maybe it's just MY old age, but it seems there are less and less posters that discuss things rationally and more just trolling or popping in for a quick snarky comment.
Very true...I used to click on the FFA every morning and night..now there are a number of non message boards sites that interest me more.  The  political threads also cause burnout when the same things are washed, rinsed and repeated over and over. Still enjoy it here but instead of clicking on 6-7 times a day it may be 1-2 times a day and sometimes zero.

Tim's milestone 100K post should be coming up soon. Only 1500 away so that should happen in the couple weeks or so. That may increase traffic somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree on the 25 threads on the first page, especially when 1/3 of them are always the same awfulness. Hillary, Bernie, Trump, Tim's Thread, etc. That really leaves only enough space for 15 or so threads.

Also agree on the mobile quote bug is awful, I'll typically just post whatever is stuck and then erase it.

Reading the same stuff over and over and over again with the same opinions from the same people does get boring.

Also, Arizona Ron hasn't provided an update in quite some time, this also isn't helping.

Posting seems to have really slowed the last few weeks.  I blame the lack of images, too many political posts, and Otis's boring middle age.
:no:   In the entire history of this forum there were never images except for a brief period of time after the most recent board upgrade. That function was eliminated and rightfully so, having to scroll through a dozen lame images that only the OPs found amusing or relevant was a complete waste of time.

I do agree with others that the 25 thread limit per page may have reduced traffic, as rather than click on page 2, I just  go to somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
:no:   In the entire history of this forum there were never images except for a brief period of time after the most recent board upgrade. That function was eliminated and rightfully so, having to scroll through a dozen lame images that only the OPs found amusing or relevant was a complete waste of time.

I do agree with others that the 25 thread limit per page may have reduced traffic, as rather than click on page 2, I just  go to somewhere else.
A horse and buggy gets us places just fine, why do I need a car?

The last unfinished post showing up is a "feature". You can get rid of it by touching the quoted text box, press the little x that appear, then backspace. It's a pain though.

Shouldn't you be reading a newspaper instead of being online?
Reading online is faster quicker easier. Driving a car gets you from point A to point B faster than a horse and buggy.  Having to scroll through 8 consecutive photo shopped images of Hillary to get to the actual discussion in the thread was a time waster and added absolutely nothing to discussion.

The politics, plus the general dooshiness has crept up a few notches over the last few years. I think a lot of folks just say screw it and stop coming around.
I still spend WAY too much time here.. But my actual posting has dropped as I agree on the bold part.. Use to be you could go to a thread and discuss what the thread was about..

Now almost very thread delves into the pits of the next poster trying to out funny the last one and most failing miserably. :thumbdown:

I didn't even come here to discuss these things.  I think all of the other topics have taken a dive in content.  But again, that might be MY age. 
Most of us probably did, though, when we first found this place. But that was 15 years ago for some of us and people change over time. 

There have always been righties and lefties yelling at one another, too. Some people don't like the aforementioned change and some embrace it.

In all seriousness, because I do agree that the FFA has been in a downward spiral the last couple of years, here's my take on why participation is way down:

• Personal attacks - seems to have always been a problem here, but the last year or so it's gotten pretty toxic.  Grown adults should be able to talk about controversial political and social topics without trolling and name calling.  Disagree with the position, but respect the poster.  That should be a requirement in here.  If you can't give a Trump supporter the minimum amount of respect then you are probably too immature to engage in this type of forum.
  • Moderation needs to be ramped up - This forum has shown the complete inability to self moderate, which is a difficult thing to begin with and usually requires a pretty tight knit community.  In the absence of there needs to be a clear code of conduct in here with Mods that enforce it fairly.  I know it's a thankless job and they probably don't even get paid, but it's vital to a well functioning forum.  Also, the Mods need to explain why someone has been suspended so people can learn what they did wrong.  The last two timeouts I got were both head scratchers, and despite repeated attempts for an explanation none of my emails requests were even acknowledged.
  • Agree with some of the things mentioned above above the new website functionality, especially the quote glitch on mobile.  Royal pain.  Also, pictures and videos would really be nice, though I can understand and appreciate Joe's concerns with this.
  • Aliases - get rid of them to the extent that you can.  People use them to troll no do things they normally wouldn't do if they only had one handle.
Hopefully with a th a little bit of refocus we can make this place great again.  I've been reading a lot of you for many years, and though I don't always agree with everything said in here, I do appreciate all the different viewpoints and collective wisdom that is expressed in here.

I've found myself not visiting here as much. Too many pissclams who are way too snarky in the political threads. Then there are the political evangelists .,We all don't have to agree

Karma's director tourney is the best thread in months

Between the election and Tim's quest for 100,000 posts, this place has certainly turned for the worse.  But don't worry, in about a year after one side is done patting themselves on the back for their presidential win, it'll tick up from atrocious to annoying.

To many political.threads? There are two explicitly political.threads on page 1 right now.

And I think for the most part people have tried to contain their election posts in those threads for it.

I post less than I did. Partly due to having discussed a lot of stuff here ad infinitum ad nauseum. But there is always something new to talk about and I do participate in threads that get my interest. I suspect much like most of the "old timers".

Users who are viewing this thread