What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Time Soccer/Football Draft and Tourney (2 Viewers)

OK, after threatening this a couple of times, I’m going to try to make this happen.  We’re going to do an All-Time Footy draft.  We don’t need a lot of drafters.  8 will do.  But I’m happy to make it work with as many as we need.  We'll draft a starting 11, 7 guys for game day bench, a manager, and a home stadium.  No era or country restrictions.  We already have a bunch of categories in positions, and I think most guys are most familiar with more recent players anyway.  So I'm not going to impose arbitrary quotas to artificially create more sniping.

Teams will be placed into Champions League style groups.  2 groups if we end up with less than 14.  4 groups for 14 or more.  Each team plays its other group member home and way. Top two in each group move on to the knock out rounds which will also be home/away ties.  The final, however, will be at a neutral site. 

So, how will the "games" be played, you ask?  I'll explain in the post below.  It will look complicated at first glance, but it really isn't.

DRAFT ORDER

1  wdcrob

2  jonessed

3  Brady Marino

4  Gator/Tasker 

5  AcerFC

6  Eephus  

7  Charvik

8  ((Morpheus))

9   Pik95 

10 RHE

11  El Floppo

12  Sinn Fein

13  shader

14  Lehigh98

15  Bonzai

16  Native

17  Spartans Rule 

Link to Google Spreadsheet

DRAFT Results--

1.1  Lionel Messi

1.2 Pele

1.3 Cristiano Ronaldo

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are how the “games” will work (I'll break it up into multiple posts to make it easier to follow).  We’ll have a poll for each game.  The question will simply be “who is controlling this game?”  I will monitor the poll results at designated intervals (say every four hours from 11AM to 11PM ET over two days).  Each interval is associated with a chunk of game time (0 to 15 minutes, 15 to 30 minutes, 30 minutes to HT, HT to 60 minutes, 60 minutes to 75 minutes, 75 minutes to full time).   At that time, I will look to the results of the poll.  If one team has over 60% of the vote, it is the team in the advantage (and the opponent is in the disadvantage).  If no team has over 60%, the teams are playing even.  I will roll two 20-sided dice, one for each team, and compare to the following table:

Die Result

Team at Advantage

Teams Even

Team at Disadvantage

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

Positive

No Action

Positive

Positive

No Action l

Positive

No Action

No Action

Positive

No Action

No Action

Positive

No Action

No Action

Positive

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

No Action

Negative

Negative

No Action

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

Negative

For our purposes, let's assume Team A has 63% of the vote and Team B has 37% of the vote.  I roll a 7 for Team A and 13 for Team B.  Team A, gets a positive action.  Team B gets no action.  And we progress to the next post.

Team A gets a result roll.  Again, it's a D20.  I'll compare to this table:

Die Result

Positive

Negative

Goal

Own Goal

Goal

Own Goal

Goal

PK Conceded

Goal

PK Conceded

Goal

SP Chance Against

Goal

SP Chance Against

PK Earned

SP Chance Against

PK Earned

SP Chance Against

Set Piece Chance

Cautioned

Set Piece Chance

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

Cautioned

Opponent Cautioned

sent off

Opponent sent off

Pk and sent off

Opponent Red and PK

injured

Opponent injured

injured

Opponent injured

injured

Most of those are self explanatory, but say Team A rolls either an 8 or a 10.  They get a PK or another setpiece.  Hey, it's another table!

Die Result

PK Result

Set Piece  Result

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Goal

Missed

Goal

Missed

Goal

Missed

Goal

Post!

Goal

Post!

Goal

Crossbar!

Saved!

Crossbar!

Saved!

Saved!

Saved!

Saved!

Post!

Saved!

Crossbar!

Saved!

Missed Completely!

Saved!

Sounds fun.  I think you will definitely have more than eight want to play.

I would like to be in if possible.

Thanks for doing this.

I wish I knew something about soccer so I could participate. Various drafts are one of the things I used to really like here. They can be a lot of fun and this one appears even more fun because of your scoring method. I used to enjoy doing drafts and then completely lost interest when teams were put in a poll for a simple "Vote which one is better". This format will definitely keep the game interesting throughout.

For cautions, red cards, or injuries, we'll just roll a D22 with each player in each lineup taking up two spaces.

Finally, here is how subs will be handled.  A team making a defensive sub will have a chance to have a re-roll for any one negative event on its own roll or any one positive event on its opponent's roll.  A team making an offensive substitution may re-roll for any neutral event with no chance of a negative event on the re-roll. 

Here's our sign-up: 

DRAFT ORDER

1  wdcrob (Draft draw 122)

2  jonessed (Draft draw 135)

3  Brady Marino (Draft draw 136)

4  Gator/Tasker  (Draft draw 141)

5  AcerFC (Draft draw 285)

6  Eephus (Draft Draw 461)  -- Autoskip

7  Charvik (Draft Draw 471)

8  ((Morpheus)) (Draft draw 681)

9   Pik95 (Draft draw 696)

10 RHE (Draft draw 752)

11  El Floppo (Draft draw 897)

12  Sinn Fein (Draft draw 1016)

13  shader (Draft Draw 1039)

14  Lehigh98 (Draft draw 1058)

15  Bonzai (Draft Draw 1096)

16  Native (Draft draw 1310)

17  Spartans Rule (Draft draw 10105) -- Autoskip

Sounds complicated.  I am a simple man, and presumably way over my head here.  But, sign me up.
For players, it shouldn't be very complicated at all.  Nor for spectators.  I'll keep all dice rolls and checks in this thread (and of course emailing the team owners).  The game threads will just have narrative.  Goals, cautions, set pieces, etc.  I've checked the system a bit and have ended up with some fairly representative games.

I'm in.  Football Manager and a thirst for watching games has really helped me learn current players.  I'm sure I'll fare badly in an all-time contest, but I always have google.

I'm in if there's still room.

Maybe we can get to 10 with me, Gator, and one more? If not, I'll recuse myself, though I really wish I had seen this earlier if that's the case.

We've got 9 so far.  Bluto signed up in the other thread.  I assume that was sincere, but I have to admit that I'm not sure if he's doing some avant garde soccer thread trolling or not.  I can be pretty dim sometimes.  In any case, he's in if he's either sincere or an entertaining troll.  It's all good.

I'm in no hurry to get started, so we can hold a reasonable length for Gator and for other regulars to possibly get in. 

I'm not too worried about an odd number.  If a group has one fewer team, then some teams just get lucky.  If someone does need to drop out, I'll be the guy and just run the thing :nerd:

Interested but the format of the draft will probably determine if I can participate.

I'll begin preparing my single-named Brazilians strategy if it works out.

Sounds complicated so in.

The Wimbledon Selects will beat up on the other three teams in our group before bowing out with negative goals scored.

OK, what is everyone's thoughts about the clock for picks?

I'm on the East Coast.  In the interest of being fair to the West Coast, I wouldn't start the clock until 11AM my time.  From 5:30 to 8:30 or so Eastern Time is a big black hole for me.  I have an awful commute home, then I need to get dinner ready, and then get my kid to bed.  So I couldn't really enforce much in the evening.  

I don't get to work until 10 AM EST on Mondays and 11 AM EST the other four weekdays. Which means I'm usually only up about an hour before my shift. Because discipline.

11am to 11pm Eastern seems fine to me. We could even cut people a little slack during commutes and such. Not like we need to rush through this.

So are we free to draft whoever, whenever, whereever or are we going to do "x amount of players from England, Spain, MLS, USA, Africa, 1970s, etc"?

Users who are viewing this thread