What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which quarterback in the NFL Draft has the most up-side? (1 Viewer)

Which quarterback in the 2016 NFL Draft has the most up-side?

• Carson Wentz

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Paxton Lynch

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Connor Cook

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jared Goff

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Christian Hackenberg

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Cardale Jones

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Dak Prescott

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Jacoby Brissett

• Kevin Hogan

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think Lynch has the highest ceiling, but also a very low floor.

Wentz can become great, but I'm a little suspect about the talent he faced. And Goff has lots of skill but less arm strength, thus why I chose Lynch.

I think Lynch has the highest ceiling, but also a very low floor.

Wentz can become great, but I'm a little suspect about the talent he faced. And Goff has lots of skill but less arm strength, thus why I chose Lynch.
Cardale Jones has the biggest arm out of anyone in this class. 

I'll go for a darkhorse who could just as easily be out of the league in a couple years in Dak Prescott.  Needs good to great coaching and isn't worth a high pick and will likely fail but has huge upside. 

I'll pick Wentz as my likely top qb from this draft though. 

I suspect we'll look back at this thread 3 years from now and scratch our heads as to why we got all hot and bothered with Wentz.

I think Cook has potential to be pretty solid. I think the Rams would've been smart to not take that #1 pick trade with Tennessee and tried to snag Cook in the 2nd. Like I've said before, none of these guys are first round talent. 

I suspect we'll look back at this thread 3 years from now and scratch our heads as to why we got all hot and bothered with Wentz.
The best post I've seen all day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardale.

He has the size, arm, and was able to step up in huge pressure-packed games but he showed immaturity and has so few games to go on that will get drafted later.

Huge risk but the biggest potential upside since the expectations for his success are not as high as Wentz/Goff  or even Lynch/Cook.

Cardale.

He has the size, arm, and was able to step up in huge pressure-packed games but he showed immaturity and has so few games to go on that will get drafted later.

Huge risk but the biggest potential upside since the expectations for his success are not as high as Wentz/Goff  or even Lynch/Cook.
I could see him going somewhere like Pittsburgh. It would benefit him tremendously to sit behind someone like Roethisberger for a few years. Comparable size & arm strength. 

I could see him going somewhere like Pittsburgh. It would benefit him tremendously to sit behind Roethisberger for a few years. 
I don't know where or when he will go off the board.  

Hopefully, he will go someplace where he can sit for a least a year or two so I agree that he would fit best on any team where he sits for a few years as you describe.

Reminds me somewhat of a new and improved Brian Hoyer.

:lol:   I wrote that, then checked his NFL.com draft page:

Haha -- both MSU products.  <_<

I think Cook has the potential the be a solid QB in the right system (just like Hoyer). Oh, and Cleveland was stupid to cut Hoyer last season. 

People keep comparing Cardale to Big Ben because they have similar body type and strong arms.  Does Cardale have the same ability to read defenses and make adjustments at the line?  Not sure of his football IQ, but there's a reason he got benched for Barrett, not sure he's the next Big Ben as people like to say.

People keep comparing Cardale to Big Ben because they have similar body type and strong arms.  Does Cardale have the same ability to read defenses and make adjustments at the line?  Not sure of his football IQ, but there's a reason he got benched for Barrett, not sure he's the next Big Ben as people like to say.
Well, Big Ben wasn't Big Ben when he was drafted, which is why he was the 3rd QB taken.  The fact that he was the best QB of that class says that Ben matured, and improved the mental aspect.  

No one could ever convince me that he was reading defenses at the level needed when he was at Miami (OH).  

So the question becomes:  Does Cardale have the capacity to learn, and will he?

I don't like his accuracy, which I don't think is fixable.  Same with Wentz.  His deep balls look like he went to the Tannehill Football Camp.  

Well, Big Ben wasn't Big Ben when he was drafted, which is why he was the 3rd QB taken.  The fact that he was the best QB of that class says that Ben matured, and improved the mental aspect.  

No one could ever convince me that he was reading defenses at the level needed when he was at Miami (OH).  

I don't like his accuracy, which I don't think is fixable.  Same with Wentz.  His deep balls look like he went to the Tannehill Football Camp.  
Good points.

And yeah, I think that people that think this is finally Tannehill's year are semi-delusional.  Wouldn't be shocked if MIA grabbed a mid round QB in the hopes that they could develop someone.

And at this point I think if the Rams draft Goff that none of the QBs in this draft look poised for Fantasy success.

can't argue too strongly against your point but man that's a tight 3 dog race with guys who really had good-great careers.  When 3 out of 4 1st round QBs are potential HOFers (and two others from the draft are somewhat adequate backups), that's a fantastic class.

From a purely physical standpoint, Cardale. However, I think Wentz has the best combo of physical traits + football IQ.

The QB prospect with the most upside is usually the same as the best QB prospect. Elite QBs like P Manning, Brady, and Brees got there in large part because of skills like reading defenses, pocket presence, and quick decision-making, not by being the biggest/strongest/fastest/toolsiest guys. When looking at TE prospects it might make sense to say "Kyle Rudolph is a safer bet to be a solid TE, but Jimmy Graham is a ridiculous athlete so I think he has more upside." But at QB, the skills that make a guy elite are similar to the ones that make a guy solid. The elite guy is better at those skills; he's not elite due to having ridiculous athleticism. So looking for the raw prospect with tons of potential makes a lot less sense at QB than at other positions like TE.

In 2001 you might've thought "well, Brees could turn out to be a solid starter but he's not a prototypical QB so his upside isn't that great" but you would've been wrong - he's a Hall of Famer. In 1998 you might've thought "well, Manning is more polished but Leaf has the tools, so Manning is a safer prospect but Leaf has better upside" but you would've been wrong about Manning because his upside was GOAT (there is some debate over whether he reached GOAT or is slightly behind it).

So I voted for the QB who I think is the best prospect, which is Goff. If we make the question more concrete by turning into something like "who has the best chance to become a Hall of Famer?" then I would be happy to bet against anyone who chooses someone other than him or Wentz.

The first 9 QBs in the 2012 draft ended up starting games. Who do we say now had the most upside? Luck? Wilson? Cousins?

Three years from now I think there could be multiple choices. I'm going to throw Prescott out there as someone who might survive then thrive like Cousins.

He can throw the ball 70 yards off his back foot and had 3 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs in 2014, including the championship game.  He has never collapsed in the 4th quarter in his career.  That will translate very well to the NFL.  I don't care who drafts him, Wentz will be throwing his team on his back and carrying them to wins every season because that's who he is.  

He can throw the ball 70 yards off his back foot and had 3 4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs in 2014, including the championship game.  He has never collapsed in the 4th quarter in his career.  That will translate very well to the NFL.  I don't care who drafts him, Wentz will be throwing his team on his back and carrying them to wins every season because that's who he is.  
So, you're saying he's Kyle Boller.  

I do, although I know that betting against the league is not a good bet. I guess his personality is that bad. On field, I think he looks like a solid starter with some good clutch "genes". 

I'll go for a darkhorse who could just as easily be out of the league in a couple years in Dak Prescott.  Needs good to great coaching and isn't worth a high pick and will likely fail but has huge upside. 

I'll pick Wentz as my likely top qb from this draft though. 
Maybe he was worth a higher pick. :)

Hackenberg has the size, the pedigree, and the arm strength to be a really good QB.  I think his issues are mechanical above anything else, and NFL coaches can fix guys with serious mechanical flaws.  I mean he's probably two years away from contributing, but I think this guy could actually grow into being better than any of the others. 

Dak Prescott looks legit...definitely does not look like a rookie...the Cowboys may have really scored with him...

Users who are viewing this thread