What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4K TV (1 Viewer)

James Daulton

Footballguy
I have been firmly in the 4K is mostly bs camp.  However, I have been looking for a new lcd to replace my 2008 Samsung, which I will retire to gaming since gaming on my projector is no bueno, and avsforum forum seems to be all abuzz about the new Vizio P series.  Anyway, apparently you can get 4k content via Netflix if your internet connection is fast enough.

Since I have Comcast Blast, and it's name is, well Blast, then clearly internet speed should not be an issue.

Do any of my fellow FBGs have a 4k tv and if so, is 4k really just bs as I've always thought?  Oh, a 55 inch P series will set me back $1,300.  It's not lose sleep money, unlike the $4k in car repairs I just shelled out for, but I like to think I spend smartly.

I have been firmly in the 4K is mostly bs camp.  However, I have been looking for a new lcd to replace my 2008 Samsung, which I will retire to gaming since gaming on my projector is no bueno, and avsforum forum seems to be all abuzz about the new Vizio P series.  Anyway, apparently you can get 4k content via Netflix if your internet connection is fast enough.
Semi-related question. I was looking to get a projector for my basement for movies and also for the boys to use for gaming. Why is yours 'no bueno?' Is it the level of the projector? Or are you in the corner that projectors just don't work for gaming?

blast internet does sound pretty sweet brohan i just have internet it does not even have a adnoun on it so it is probably worse than blast internet that is all i am sayin color me jealous bromigo take that to teh bank

Semi-related question. I was looking to get a projector for my basement for movies and also for the boys to use for gaming. Why is yours 'no bueno?' Is it the level of the projector? Or are you in the corner that projectors just don't work for gaming?
My screen is 106' and it's great for old Halo and games where you can have multiple people playing at once.  If you're playing by yourself though, the screen is so big that it's difficult to keep track of what's going on.  For me anyway.  For games like Mario Kart though, a projector is awesome.

as for 4k content, heard yesterday that DirecTV will have MLB games this year broadcast in 4k....if MLB is your thing.

Samsung JS9000 is my recommendation.

The non-curve version is squarely in your price range (or under), it's 4k, it's 3-d, it's LCD, it's amazing in game mome in terms of latency (if you get to a point to "retire" it to gaming.

It has the one-connect box so its great for future proofing, which I find important considering the 4k universal standards aren't well-settled yet, along with the obvious, typical future-proof stuff to consider. 

Very little jutter with movies.  Just a soild, soild tv for the price.

4k is legit. The thing that you have to know though is whether you are truly in a position to get the most of it. Most people aren't but it is definitely a function of tv that is going to be here for a long time.

My screen is 106' and it's great for old Halo and games where you can have multiple people playing at once.  If you're playing by yourself though, the screen is so big that it's difficult to keep track of what's going on.  For me anyway.  For games like Mario Kart though, a projector is awesome.
OK, am I correct in assuming that the issue is more with the larger screen being more 'pixilated?' And if I was thinking about a more like 80" screen, that will be less of a problem? I'm figuring if I spend $750 - $1k I can get a better projector and screen than a TV for that size.

Oh, the 1080p picture is great, it's totally a size thing (that's what she said!).

Anyway, you are correct on the cost/size/quality/$ ratio on a 80' screen.  I say go for the projector.

OK, am I correct in assuming that the issue is more with the larger screen being more 'pixilated?' And if I was thinking about a more like 80" screen, that will be less of a problem? I'm figuring if I spend $750 - $1k I can get a better projector and screen than a TV for that size.
I just purchased a mid grade projector 1080p and play game on it all the time.

It's AWESOME, 100" screen.  The only time I see pixelation is watching a non HD channel, or graphics on some HD channels. (like score graphics) and 100% sure that it's the Compressio from Comcast because my PS4 movies look incredible

The only weird thing I just noticed is.  All my channels look great but CBS HD 1" lower on all broadcasts.  Its really weird.  So I can put any channel on and my picture is 100% filled perfectly in the screen.

Except CBS.

It's AWESOME, 100" screen.  The only time I see pixelation is watching a non HD channel, or graphics on some HD channels. (like score graphics) and 100% sure that it's the Compressio from Comcast because my PS4 movies look incredible

The only weird thing I just noticed is.  All my channels look great but CBS HD 1" lower on all broadcasts.  Its really weird.  So I can put any channel on and my picture is 100% filled perfectly in the screen.

Except CBS.
What projector did you buy? How much? Did you do anything special screen-wise?

Except CBS.
Well, CBS is often viewed as an "old people" network, so the signal probably sags a bit.

What projector did you buy? How much? Did you do anything special screen-wise?
Epson 1040.   Not sure I would recommend it simply because there is no lense shift and it's 16x10 native.  I have it set to display 16x9 for everything but trying to tweak the picture and line it up is a pain because the Test pattern and stuff display in 16x10.  

Don't get me wrong, I love it but I'm sure there are other options that are better in this range. I purchased it on a whim.  It was on sale for 619 now it's 719 I think.

The PIP/Split is awesome. I get 2 50inch screens. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Cinema-Brightness-Theater-Projector/dp/B014D7XGNS

I had it on a tray table for a while and on the wall.  I was going to build a screen but ended up buying one

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Fixed-Projector-Screen-FlexiWhite/dp/B015EUVPTU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460722693&sr=1-2&keywords=carls+projector+screen+100%22

Then a ceiling mount.

All told I spent between $800 - $900.

This thread helped me a LOT

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/480043-projectorguys/?do=findComment&comment=19009200

Here are a couple quick pics I took.  I know they are blurry, and the red one was me just lightening the pic to show the screen so the color cam out funny.   It's just to give you an idea

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz7IpOfeJJAqZDRYb2FWY3BCcms&usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of my fellow FBGs have a 4k tv and if so, is 4k really just bs as I've always thought?
Put me in the "yes" camp (i.e. it's BS).  Yeah it has more pixels than 1080p (4096 x 2160 vs 1920 x 1080) but can your eye discern the difference? As resolution becomes more granular there eventually is a point of diminishing return and IMO the jump from HD to 4k is where that line sits. Does it really matter that 4k has more pixels if the human eye can't process? Take a look at this chart. 

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

You'd need to sit @ 5' for a 50" screen or 10' for a 90" screen to be able to see the additional detail provided by 4k.

Here's another good link that explains the same as above (esp #2).

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

x2 what Buzzbait said.  It only matters as your screen gets bigger and you sit closer.  We're at the point where your eyes can't really tell the difference.

I'm looking to build out my basement TV room/theater right now so I've been doing a ton of research and have read the same thing over and over with regards to 4K projectors - They only matter if you have a BIG screen, and you sit close.  Right now, as far as projectors go, the cost is like 3-4x a good 1080p projector. 

As for TV's...OLED is the gold standard, but right now, only LG seems to be making them in any affordable quantities.  Once Sony and Samsung get their OLED act together, they'll push prices down, but the latest 2016 models from both are still devoid of any OLED offerings, so it might be a little while. 

Buzzbait said:
Put me in the "yes" camp (i.e. it's BS).  Yeah it has more pixels than 1080p (4096 x 2160 vs 1920 x 1080) but can your eye discern the difference? As resolution becomes more granular there eventually is a point of diminishing return and IMO the jump from HD to 4k is where that line sits. Does it really matter that 4k has more pixels if the human eye can't process? Take a look at this chart. 

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

You'd need to sit @ 5' for a 50" screen or 10' for a 90" screen to be able to see the additional detail provided by 4k.

Here's another good link that explains the same as above (esp #2).

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/
I have a 48" 720p in the bedrooom that looks just fine at 10' away.  However, I do use a 50" 4k as my monitor and the 4k really makes a difference at 3'.  Distance matters.

Ok, after much research I picked up Vizio C55-P1 for $1,300.00.  I also get 10% in best buy credit for opening one of their stupid credit cards.  First of all, for those who said wait for OLED, the picture on the new P series isn't far behind and OLEDs won't get down to this price point for several years.

Now the set is 4k which does look fantastic (particularly if you're close to the screen).  But the real difference about these sets is that they have HDR, wide color spectrum, and dolby vision.  These provide a wider color gamete and superior black and contrast level.  All in all, the extra couple hundred I spent show up on the screen.

Saw a Samsung TV with Quantum Dot at Costco and just like OLED it crushed any hope you have of enjoying an LED TV again.  One of those ignorance is bliss deals.

Just make sure if you buy a 4K, it's got HDR. They say the leap in picture quality is enormous.

I just finished up a basement home theater build...In buying all my equipment, I realized that paying for the "current model" TV's is crazy.  I was looking at what to use as far as display devices - My wife wanted a big LED TV.  I wanted a projector.  I won't go into the pro's and con's of both, but for the price of the latest Sony TV XBR-75X930D (4K, edge lit), I got last year's model, a step down XBR-75X850C (full array LED) AND an HW40ES projector.  I basically have a 75" TV for normal, every-day viewing, and a 120" screen for movies.  The screen drops down in front of the TV when needed.

Unless you're a serious videophile, I don't think you'll notice the difference between this year and last year's TV's.  4K content is still a ways out - I haven't even seen anything on my set yet.  That said, I don't think you have to pay an arm and a leg for a 4K TV either.  Just buy last year's model.  I'm also not convinced OLED is worth the price either - LG's the only company that is really pushing it.  Sony seems to be fine with updating current technology.  I haven't looked at my TV and thought the contrast could be better, but I guess some might.

Saw a Samsung TV with Quantum Dot at Costco and just like OLED it crushed any hope you have of enjoying an LED TV again.  One of those ignorance is bliss deals.
Well a LED is a LCD...so is a Quantum Dot. Same weaknesses as any other LCD, it's just brighter and has better colors. Black levels and viewing angles will still be a problem. OLED is still the king IMO. It's the best of both Plasma and LCD (including LED and Quantom Dot).

I just finished up a basement home theater build...In buying all my equipment, I realized that paying for the "current model" TV's is crazy.  I was looking at what to use as far as display devices - My wife wanted a big LED TV.  I wanted a projector.  I won't go into the pro's and con's of both, but for the price of the latest Sony TV XBR-75X930D (4K, edge lit), I got last year's model, a step down XBR-75X850C (full array LED) AND an HW40ES projector.  I basically have a 75" TV for normal, every-day viewing, and a 120" screen for movies.  The screen drops down in front of the TV when needed.

Unless you're a serious videophile, I don't think you'll notice the difference between this year and last year's TV's.  4K content is still a ways out - I haven't even seen anything on my set yet.  That said, I don't think you have to pay an arm and a leg for a 4K TV either.  Just buy last year's model.  I'm also not convinced OLED is worth the price either - LG's the only company that is really pushing it.  Sony seems to be fine with updating current technology.  I haven't looked at my TV and thought the contrast could be better, but I guess some might.
I totally agree that you won't notice really much difference between this year and last years models. I kind of agree that you won't really see a huge push in 4k this year, but it's coming sooner than you think. LG is the only company that can do OLED due to them owning the patent....so they are the only game in town. And OLED is by far the best picture out there, the QD tech that @cstu referenced is the closest to OLED. And it's not contrast that you'll notice between LED and QD tech LCDs or an OLED.

ETA One thing to note with the QD tech it's not owned by a single company so all mfgs will have their "brand" of the tech and it should be in all of the higher end sets.

I totally agree that you won't notice really much difference between this year and last years models. I kind of agree that you won't really see a huge push in 4k this year, but it's coming sooner than you think. LG is the only company that can do OLED due to them owning the patent....so they are the only game in town. And OLED is by far the best picture out there, the QD tech that @cstu referenced is the closest to OLED. And it's not contrast that you'll notice between LED and QD tech LCDs or an OLED.

ETA One thing to note with the QD tech it's not owned by a single company so all mfgs will have their "brand" of the tech and it should be in all of the higher end sets.
I didn't realize LG owned OLED patents - Are they hoarding them or are there other mfg's that are licensing the tech for their own displays?

I didn't realize LG owned OLED patents - Are they hoarding them or are there other mfg's that are licensing the tech for their own displays?
IIRC LG has signed some non-exclusive agreements but not with any of the big names, so they are using it as a competitive advantage. It's not great for consumers but it's good for them.

ETA they bought the Kodak IP for OLED. It's something to do with white OLED and the ability to be bright enough to be viable as a TV. It gets way more technical than I care to get but pretty simply put LG will have the market on OLEDS for ~5 yrs because of what they bought.

IIRC LG has signed some non-exclusive agreements but not with any of the big names, so they are using it as a competitive advantage. It's not great for consumers but it's good for them.

ETA they bought the Kodak IP for OLED. It's something to do with white OLED and the ability to be bright enough to be viable as a TV. It gets way more technical than I care to get but pretty simply put LG will have the market on OLEDS for ~5 yrs because of what they bought.
i think that was just US though.

The next leap in TV that folks need to be aware of is more along the lines of HDR & Dolby Vision. More and more content is going to be made available utilizing the new abilities of TVs and if contrast and a wider range of true colors is important to you, make sure you are ready for that content. 95% of new TV under $4,000 only have one or the other formats, but If you're in the market for a new TV and OLED is out of your price range, the best TV on the market (under $4,000) is the Vizio P-series. Both HDR & Dolby Vision and does better across the board than Samsung & Sony. We are finishing our basement and next month, I'll gleefully have a 75" P-Series on the wall. I've done about 20 hours of research and reading and it's a no-brained for me. 

Just trying to help some folks out. :thumbsup:

The next leap in TV that folks need to be aware of is more along the lines of HDR & Dolby Vision. More and more content is going to be made available utilizing the new abilities of TVs and if contrast and a wider range of true colors is important to you, make sure you are ready for that content. 95% of new TV under $4,000 only have one or the other formats, but If you're in the market for a new TV and OLED is out of your price range, the best TV on the market (under $4,000) is the Vizio P-series. Both HDR & Dolby Vision and does better across the board than Samsung & Sony. We are finishing our basement and next month, I'll gleefully have a 75" P-Series on the wall. I've done about 20 hours of research and reading and it's a no-brained for me. 

Just trying to help some folks out. :thumbsup:
Two things kill me with LCDs HDR or otherwise. One is viewing angles, once you get off axis you get a serious degradation in picture quality. The second is black levels and shadow detail, full array LEDs can get close but not on par with what Plasmas and OLEDs can do. You said the best TV under 4k, well to me that will be a 55" LG OLED due to the issues with LEDs.

Just make sure if you buy a 4K, it's got HDR. They say the leap in picture quality is enormous.
Also, make sure it has the "Ultra HD Premium" logo because that means it meets the minimum criteria created by the UHD Alliance. 

Mostly this means that an LCD TV has a minimum brightness of 1,000 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.05 nits (20,000:1 contrast ratio), and an OLED TV has a minimum brightness of 540 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.0005 (1,080,000:1).

I'm curious why you went with both a LCD and a projector. You don't have to go into huge detail, but I'm just curious because I'm close to purchasing a projector for my basement (mostly to be used by teens)

I'm curious why you went with both a LCD and a projector. You don't have to go into huge detail, but I'm just curious because I'm close to purchasing a projector for my basement (mostly to be used by teens)
Check the bolded.

Good timing on this thread... I am in the market for a new TV, won't be able to afford the OLED so I am going to be sticking with a Samsung SUHD HDR 4k most likely.

So my question is if I get a new TV, I would have to get a new receiver that had 4k capabilities to see that quality through Netflix or other 4k streaming methods correct? Right now I have a Samsung plasma TV from 2009, and have a pioneer receiver that I have my PS4, cable box, apple TV hooked up to and run surround sound through it. I see the newer receivers today have "4k passthrough", and my receiver is older and does not have 4k technology built in. 

Good timing on this thread... I am in the market for a new TV, won't be able to afford the OLED so I am going to be sticking with a Samsung SUHD HDR 4k most likely.

So my question is if I get a new TV, I would have to get a new receiver that had 4k capabilities to see that quality through Netflix or other 4k streaming methods correct? Right now I have a Samsung plasma TV from 2009, and have a pioneer receiver that I have my PS4, cable box, apple TV hooked up to and run surround sound through it. I see the newer receivers today have "4k passthrough", and my receiver is older and does not have 4k technology built in. 
No 4K through Apple TV. I have a Samsung 4K TV and use the Netflix app through it and am able to get 4K content. However, it's an extra $2/month for 4K on Netflix. For cable, you'll probably need a new box.

No 4K through Apple TV. I have a Samsung 4K TV and use the Netflix app through it and am able to get 4K content. However, it's an extra $2/month for 4K on Netflix. For cable, you'll probably need a new box.
Thanks, that's what I thought. And I just realized the current PS4's don't support 4k/HDR gaming, but they are releasing a new one that will so that is not an issue either. 

Not sure on what size you're looking for but a 55" OLED is under 2k (last year's model) on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EG9100-55-Inch-Curved/dp/B0148OZNKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474568150&sr=8-2&keywords=LG+OLED+55"

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EG9600-55-Inch-Curved/dp/B00RVAGC86/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1474568150&sr=8-12&keywords=LG+OLED+55"

Given the price difference, I would go with QD as well.  The 65" KS8000 is $1,900 right now while the OLED equivalent is $1,000+ more.  Sure, the blacks on OLED are amazing, but you get better brightness with a QD

I have the Samsung 65" JS8500 4K TV.   Love it so far and find 4K makes a noticeable difference even when just upconverting 1080p content. 

Sounds like your receiver is going to be a problem for 4K content outside of Netflix, which you should be able to stream 4K content with wirelessly via the Netflix app.   You will probably need a new 4K cable box as well.  I think an option might be to plug all of your media devices into the TV directly, and then change the settings on your TV to output  sound to your old receiver via an optical cable or something to get your surround sound.

Bauer said:

Just plug any 4k devices directly into the TV, and then route your audio back to the receiver via optical cable.  It likely means changing inputs on your TV whenever you want to watch any 4k content, but doesn't require buying a new receiver now.

Note - this way wouldn't allow for any "HD audio" codecs, but that's really only on Blu-ray right now anyway.

cstu said:
Given the price difference, I would go with QD as well.  The KS8000/KS7000 are $1,900/$1,500 right now while the OLED equivalent is $1,000+ more.  Sure, the blacks on OLED are amazing, but you get better brightness with a QD
Brightness <> good picture, you know that though.

cstu said:
Given the price difference, I would go with QD as well.  The 65" KS8000 is $1,900 right now while the OLED equivalent is $1,000+ more.  Sure, the blacks on OLED are amazing, but you get better brightness with a QD
Thanks for all the input. I am most likely going with something in the KS model line, I've been searching for deals but haven't found anything that made me pull the trigger. At this point should I just wait until the holidays / Super Bowl time or does everyone expect these prices to stay some what stagnant. 

Thanks for all the input. I am most likely going with something in the KS model line, I've been searching for deals but haven't found anything that made me pull the trigger. At this point should I just wait until the holidays / Super Bowl time or does everyone expect these prices to stay some what stagnant. 
That's what I'm doing, I have the KS8000 saved at Amazon so I will be notified of a price change.  I expect a deal on it around Black Friday.  Last month it was $100 less, should drop more than that for BF.

So I ended up going to best buy tonight to check things out. Turns out they had a 55KS8500 open box sale. Someone stole the one connect samsung cord out and returned the tv, it was still in it's original packaging from Samsung when I looked at it. 

I ended up getting out the door for $1010 after tax and negioating the price down more. Very happy with this tv, got it setup tonight and still doing some calibrating but it looks great. 

Now time to buy a receiver and 4k cables... 

Got my 65 inch LG OLED B6 last week for 2,500. I purchased from a site called Joe's AV. The picture is ridiculous, and the TV is thinner than an iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread