What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does the NFL even test for Weed? (1 Viewer)

steelers1080

Footballguy
I just don't understand why they care.  It's not a PED.  Also, they only test for it once a year (starting on 4/20, not kidding) and they warn players ahead of time, why not just not test for it?  They get no benefit from suspending players and it makes them look crappy in the eyes of the public.

I would hope the league would stop testing once more than a few franchises are located in states where MJ is legal. 

The simple answer is, because it's in the current CBA.  They'll give it up, but they'll want something back in return from the NFLPA.

I mentioned in other threads that at some point I see them mostly looking the other way. IMO, they will leave the rules on the books and just not test for it unless there is someone that is using 24/7.

Here's what they get back,...a lot of their best damn players back on the field thrilling the fans instead of missing huge chunks of the season with Mickey Mouse bs suspensions.
Are they really losing money because of it?  If not, they don't really care so much.

Having said that, I think (given what we think we know) the NFL was very lenient on Josh Gordon with his recent situation.  By the letter of the law, they didn't have to be.

Are they really losing money because of it?  If not, they don't really care so much.

Having said that, I think (given what we think we know) the NFL was very lenient on Josh Gordon with his recent situation.  By the letter of the law, they didn't have to be.
Except we don't know the outcome of Gordon's recent situation. He was suspended indefinitely and remains suspended indefinitely. Not sure how that falls into a "very lenient" category. What would have been a "harsh" outcome? I guess they could have said he was banned for life. That would have been worse. But they couldn't suspend him given that he is already suspended.

The players that use it for pain management and can stop using it in the off season
don't want to protect knuckeheads who cant control their habits. If you can't control
your decision making your not trustworthy.  It does not matter what is legal or illegal.

All that matters is what is in the CBA. Say it was Nyquil that was banned and J Gordon
got nailed for that multiple times, Stupid? yes but not any different then what is happening
now. NFL players follow all kinds of "stupid" rules to get paid and paid well. Do you hear any
player complaining about conduct rules? NO, it's what they signed up for.

The NFL is not going to allow players to test positive to an illegal drug even though a small percentage of states allow it.

Zero chance they allow it until the US accepts it nationally.   

Agreed. I've come up with fantastic ideas while really high. Problem is later on I can't remember them.
I never passed 120 lines on Tetris while sober.  232 was my best while stoned, and don't even get me started on MarioKart.

It always improved my ability to sit on my ### for hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except we don't know the outcome of Gordon's recent situation. He was suspended indefinitely and remains suspended indefinitely. Not sure how that falls into a "very lenient" category. What would have been a "harsh" outcome? I guess they could have said he was banned for life. That would have been worse. But they couldn't suspend him given that he is already suspended.
Saying that he could still reapply in August (before the start of the season) rather than a year from his denial (which would fall after it).  That's all I meant.  I mean, if it's true that he had both weed and a dilutant in the sample, I'd have though it wouldn't be a question that he'd be out for all of 2016 (which he may still be).

The NFL doesn't care.  That's why if players can pass one test during the window when they know they'll be tested they can do whatever they want.

The NFL doesn't care.  That's why if players can pass one test during the window when they know they'll be tested they can do whatever they want.
That pretty much is in agreement with post #2 by spider321. All you have to do is have an IQ high enough to figure out when you can get high and you are good to go.

I mentioned in other threads that at some point I see them mostly looking the other way. IMO, they will leave the rules on the books and just not test for it unless there is someone that is using 24/7.
Aren’t they basically looking the other way now?

They tell the players when they are going to test for it.

Only the true addicts (they need help) and the idiots get caught  

Here's what they get back,...a lot of their best damn players back on the field thrilling the fans instead of missing huge chunks of the season with Mickey Mouse bs suspensions.
This is the best thing I've read all day. 

Aren’t they basically looking the other way now?

They tell the players when they are going to test for it.

Only the true addicts (they need help) and the idiots get caught  
1) They're obviously not looking the other way if they're still issuing suspensions.

2) They tell them, yes, although they still give out randoms.

3) Only addicts get caught? This is entirely wrong. So, if you get caught for drinking and driving then you're automatically an alcoholic? Come on man. A label ("idiots") does not apply to everyone who gets caught. 

It's an image thing as most things are in the NFL. TO them it's better to have a policy against something that IS illegal rather than to not and then have something happen that the public could point their finger at the shield and say you didn't control this.  Someone gets hurt, etc and it gets linked to a positive test and suddenly the entire problem is because of the weed. 

It is amazingly funny if that is true about the NFL beginning testing on 04/20.

This is the best thing I've read all day. 

1) They're obviously not looking the other way if they're still issuing suspensions.

2) They tell them, yes, although they still give out randoms.

3) Only addicts get caught? This is entirely wrong. So, if you get caught for drinking and driving then you're automatically an alcoholic? Come on man. A label ("idiots") does not apply to everyone who gets caught. 
Letting the players know when testing begins is the NFL looking the other way. Sure the NFL suspends guys who fail the test but the NFL tells them when the test is going to happen. (For the most part anyway)

I meant addicts OR idiots not addicts AND idiots

It's an image thing as most things are in the NFL. TO them it's better to have a policy against something that IS illegal rather than to not and then have something happen that the public could point their finger at the shield and say you didn't control this.  Someone gets hurt, etc and it gets linked to a positive test and suddenly the entire problem is because of the weed. 

It is amazingly funny if that is true about the NFL beginning testing on 04/20.
If they test on 4/20 or 4/21, they're douchers, lol. Let the players have some fun man.  :hophead:

The simple answer is, because it's in the current CBA.  They'll give it up, but they'll want something back in return from the NFLPA.
ding ding ding ding.  It's all about leverage.  The owners have it, and if the players want to get rid of it they will have to give something up.  From the NFLPA perspective it has to be a near-zero issue - what, 3 guys are dumb enough to get caught?   They have much bigger fish to fry.  They want Goodell out as discipline guru, they want more money, they want more insurance/benefits, they want fewer penalties and fines.  They don't care a handful of stoners that can't read a calendar.

It is an IQ test that the NFL is failing.
If you are dumb enough to fail for weed, you don't deserve to play in the NFL.

These guys are lucky they only get suspended.  My workplace would fire me for testing positive for weed, even if it becomes legal in my state.

It is an IQ test....the only time you get a random weed test is if you failed a weed test previously.  If you have a job (like spider mentioned above or many others in society) that requires you to not use weed, they don't tell you when the test is going to be administered.  It is a random test in the rest of the world.  Only in the NFL where you can make millions but you have to have the IQ/self control to refrain from using a week or so  prior to the announced test date.  Only need to abstain for that amount of time and then enjoy the rest of the year.  But so many cannot pass this simple test and all the weed people come jumping in on the NFL.  If you cannot abstain for this short amount of time indicates to me the player is either an addict or does not pass the IQ part of the test.

Two reasons, probably already touched on.

1. Leverage for next CBA talks and in general this is why I think Goodel keeps hammering people with suspensions, to make the NFLPA give up something the NFL really cares about to cede this power away.

2. NFL is in bed with alcohol companies who view legalization of weed probably worse than Vegas viewed DFS.

Eventually the NFL will get the NFLPA to give up something they want more and legal marijuana industry is one of fastest growing in the country an their money spends as well as alcohol companies so in the not to distant future we should probably be able to do away with weed suspensions.

The NFL is not going to allow players to test positive to an illegal drug even though a small percentage of states allow it.

They don't need to allow it.  They simply need to not test for it.

If some player gets busted or arrested or whatever, then dish out punishment.

They don't need to allow it.  They simply need to not test for it.

If some player gets busted or arrested or whatever, then dish out punishment.
Yeah that really makes sense for a league that is all about protecting the shield. 

Get arrested for weed but NFL turns the cheek. Anyone that thinks that is a remote possibility has not been following the the NFL and the standard is is trying to establish. 

Suppose the majority of players like the system the way it is now? We're
talking almost 1700 guys that want to be with the best of the best. They
know when to stay clean and not get caught.

The NFLPA might keep this off the bargaining table so they can get something
else that matters more. 99.99% of the players follow this rule. Why give this up
and let the owners take something else?

Yeah that really makes sense for a league that is all about protecting the shield. 

Get arrested for weed but NFL turns the cheek. Anyone that thinks that is a remote possibility has not been following the the NFL and the standard is is trying to establish. 
That is...........not what I said.

Also not on board with your stance there on their standard.  If they stop testing, players will stop testing positive. 

However, if players get in trouble with the law, then the NFL can step in and do what they need to do. 

Suppose the majority of players like the system the way it is now? We're
talking almost 1700 guys that want to be with the best of the best. They
know when to stay clean and not get caught.

The NFLPA might keep this off the bargaining table so they can get something
else that matters more. 99.99% of the players follow this rule. Why give this up
and let the owners take something else?
Because many of the players would like to freely use marijuana rather than more harmful and addictive painkillers and/or alcohol :shrug:

That is...........not what I said.

Also not on board with your stance there on their standard.  If they stop testing, players will stop testing positive. 

However, if players get in trouble with the law, then the NFL can step in and do what they need to do. 
Good luck getting the NFL to not test for an illegal drug in most states. which is essentially like saying they are ok with players using it, oh but if you get arrested then we will have a say in that. 

Talk about a PR nightmare. And why would they risk that. For what?

After looking over the responses, a couple of points:

1. I think the best answer so far is "Leverage against the NFLPA".  I think that the NFL does away with the tests, probably right around the same time the league goes to 18 regular season games or an expanded playoff.
  2. The argument that MJ is illegal and therefore they must test for it.  Their test is already inadequate since they inform players ahead of time, so why even have it.  Plenty of jobs don't require drug tests even though drugs are illegal. 
  3. The NFL could still punish any players that are arrested for possession or arrested for DUI.  They could punish people that actually caused problems as a result of their using, without punishing people that aren't hurting anybody.
  4. The argument that they aren't losing money, you don't think that more people would be going to Browns games and more people would be buying jerseys if Josh Gordon had been playing at a top level the last 2 years?  Or if Bryant was playing this coming year?  The Steelers will still sell out home games, but having amazing players on the field is always advantageous for the League.
  5. SIDENOTE: The punishment for players that break the substance abuse policy is ridiculous.  Most players that get popped do so after the season.  AKA, when they lose the structure that life around the team provides them, they stray and F*** up.  If a player is suspended, they should be allowed to remain with the team, workout, and practice IF THE TEAM ALLOWS IT.  This way, players that are "team cancers" can still be kept away, but players that genuinely need help and structure can remain in a supportive environment.  Also, the team gains nothing from a suspended player being around.  Having Martavis Bryant in the building during the 2016 season wouldn't help their chances of winning games, but it would vastly help his chances of staying clean.  If the NFL really cared about their players, this would be the policy.  Instead, the policy is about showing their power.

Yeah, just so everyone is clear, it is still a federal crime (which is why you can't fly with it even if you are going straight from Washington to Colorado). They just aren't actively pursuing punishment - they've said they're going to leave it up to the states, but the laws haven't changed. As far as I know, they could just change their stance on it if they wanted to and swoop into Colorado and start arresting folks. Talk about one helluva buzzkill...

Because many of the players would like to freely use marijuana rather than more harmful and addictive painkillers and/or alcohol :shrug:
These players ARE USING It-during the season when they need the pain killed-off season
they can stay off of it.  If they are in pain  in the off season they need that injury treated.

Good luck getting the NFL to not test for an illegal drug in most states. which is essentially like saying they are ok with players using it, oh but if you get arrested then we will have a say in that. 

NBA seems to be cruising right along.  Their testing is a joke, no one gets caught with weed, and if you have ever met an NBA player, you know they are not a drug-free bunch.  Google 'NBA drug testing.'  You'll find articles talking about what a sham it is.  No one cares. 

NFL should test for performance-enhancers, and punish players that tarnish the shield.  

Their policy could simply be that the NFL wants a level playing field, and expect players to avoid anything illegal, including driving drunk.  Someone gets busted driving drunk, or possession of drugs, they get suspended.  Where's the PR nightmare?  Who cares?  Who's going to be protesting?  

This drug policy was enacted in 1987, when 'Just Say No' was still a thing.  Moral Majority..........Tipper Gore.  Heavy metal makes you commit suicide.  Time for the NFL to quietly update it's policy.  It is creating a problem it doesn't need to deal with.  The team knows who smokes, and who parties, and who does it too much, they don't need testing to tell them.  

NBA seems to be cruising right along.  Their testing is a joke, no one gets caught with weed, and if you have ever met an NBA player, you know they are not a drug-free bunch.  Google 'NBA drug testing.'  You'll find articles talking about what a sham it is.  No one cares. 

NFL should test for performance-enhancers, and punish players that tarnish the shield.  

Their policy could simply be that the NFL wants a level playing field, and expect players to avoid anything illegal, including driving drunk.  Someone gets busted driving drunk, or possession of drugs, they get suspended.  Where's the PR nightmare?  Who cares?  Who's going to be protesting?  

This drug policy was enacted in 1987, when 'Just Say No' was still a thing.  Moral Majority..........Tipper Gore.  Heavy metal makes you commit suicide.  Time for the NFL to quietly update it's policy.  It is creating a problem it doesn't need to deal with.  The team knows who smokes, and who parties, and who does it too much, they don't need testing to tell them.  
I think the big difference is your right now one cares about the NBA policy, and I highly doubt the NFL cares about the NBA.  The NFL in my opinion holds, or is trying, to hold its league to a higher standard and they have been trying to hold that image since Goodell took over.  Sure he has made some mistakes (Rice, etc) but overall it is an image to the NFL that they don't want to go in front of cameras and say we will not be testing for weed any longer, but it is still illegal in 80% to 90% of the states.  

Alcohol isn't even in the same conversation.  Your comparing a legal substance to an illegal substance.  

Like I said, once the US recognizes it was a legal drug, then I think their position changes. I'm not going to debate this for 4 pages. If the NFL really felt they were ok not testing weed they would have done it by now or at the last negotiation.  

Seems to work for other leagues..........................

These players ARE USING It-during the season when they need the pain killed-off season
they can stay off of it.  If they are in pain  in the off season they need that injury treated.
huh?  You do realize that when injuries are treated there is still pain associated with it right?

I think the big difference is your right now one cares about the NBA policy, and I highly doubt the NFL cares about the NBA.  The NFL in my opinion holds, or is trying, to hold its league to a higher standard and they have been trying to hold that image since Goodell took over.  Sure he has made some mistakes (Rice, etc) but overall it is an image to the NFL that they don't want to go in front of cameras and say we will not be testing for weed any longer, but it is still illegal in 80% to 90% of the states.  

Alcohol isn't even in the same conversation.  Your comparing a legal substance to an illegal substance.  

Like I said, once the US recognizes it was a legal drug, then I think their position changes. I'm not going to debate this for 4 pages. If the NFL really felt they were ok not testing weed they would have done it by now or at the last negotiation.  
Meh, you changed the argument.  Before, it was 'PR nightmare' and now it's 'higher standard'.

There is plenty of evidence that the NFL is saying one thing, and doing another when it comes to standards.  They talk about protecting the shield, but reinstate dog-killers, child-beaters, and woman-abusers, so just because the NFL says 'higher standard' and 'protect the shield', I don't need to believe that.  They probably have a worse public image than the NBA right now.  If they don't, they should.  

As far as this is concerned:

If the NFL really felt they were ok not testing weed they would have done it by now or at the last negotiation.  
Based on what?  It would have happened by now?  Do you have anything credible to back this up?  The NFL has been at the rear of the bus when it comes to social issues, and will continue to be.  Frankly, it's probably just a rule they haven't gotten around to changing yet.  Adding new rules is a lot easier than changing old ones, because everyone is used to dealing with the old rules.  

The NFL not testing for weed doesn't mean the NFL is pro-weed, or they think it should be legalized, or whatever.  It simply means they are choosing not to test for it.  Lots and lots of employers do not test for weed, and a lot maintain a higher standard than the NFL.  

Meh, you changed the argument.  Before, it was 'PR nightmare' and now it's 'higher standard'.
Protecting the shield, higher standard, PR nightmare is all under the same umbrella in my points.  Read them all. I'm not going to quote them all.  It isn't worth my time.  

If your argument really made any sense the NFL would have done it already or in the last negotiation.  But keep debating your point, the NFL is not changing anytime soon. 

Protecting the shield, higher standard, PR nightmare is all under the same umbrella in my points.  Read them all. I'm not going to quote them all.  It isn't worth my time.  

If your argument really made any sense the NFL would have done it already or in the last negotiation.  But keep debating your point, the NFL is not changing anytime soon. 
Are your fingers stuck in your ears, and are you chanting, 'LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU'?

If you aren't interested in backing up your arguments, you shouldn't respond.  Stick to emoji, maybe.  

I believe it really comes down to Risk Management for the NFL. 

The NFL doesn't care about its players but it has to have the appearance it does to limit lawsuits in the future.  It is the same reason why they test for PEDs.  The NFL doesn't care about players taking PEDs either. 

In 10-20 years, they don't want retired players coming to the NFL with a lawsuit saying the NFL allowed them to take PEDs, marijuana or other drugs and now that addiction has ruined their life in some manner (i.e. health, family, accident, etc.)

I believe it really comes down to Risk Management for the NFL. 

The NFL doesn't care about its players but it has to have the appearance it does to limit lawsuits in the future.  It is the same reason why they test for PEDs.  The NFL doesn't care about players taking PEDs either. 

In 10-20 years, they don't want retired players coming to the NFL with a lawsuit saying the NFL allowed them to take PEDs, marijuana or other drugs and now that addiction has ruined their life in some manner (i.e. health, family, accident, etc.)
Mostly true here, but it would be pretty hilarious for some player to try and sue the NFL in the future because they did not test for weed, and they became addicted to weed and ruined their life. 

Even funnier when they try and argue the league ALLOWED it.  Not testing for it does not mean they allow it.  There are quite a few illegal substances they don't test for.

The NFL not testing for weed doesn't mean the NFL is pro-weed, or they think it should be legalized, or whatever.  It simply means they are choosing not to test for it.  Lots and lots of employers do not test for weed, and a lot maintain a higher standard than the NFL.  
This is incredibly true.  This is football.

Many other business have actual impacts on peoples lives.  Hospitals come to mind.  Hospitals do not routinely drug test their employees.  Hell, I have not been drug tested since I was hired 12 years ago. 

Who do you prefer to be drug free, your nurses and doctors, or your team's LB?

I could be the defense attorney for the NFL for that lawsuit.  

Users who are viewing this thread