What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask a car salesman... (1 Viewer)

How far under Blue Book retail can I offer and get a deal done?  2010 Highlander Limited, 97k miles.  BB Retail is like 23k, they are asking 21k.  Lotta miles, I'd like to get it for less than 20k including all fees, etc.

How much time do you spend every month learning about the products you sell?
Depends on the season. We have manufacturer representatives come to our dealership to give us training (typically product based) every 2-3 months. We have "off site" training once per quarter that is either a ride & drive training event for a new product that has been released, or some customer relations training. We have online classes that we take once a month usually that take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour with a post-test afterwards. 

How far under Blue Book retail can I offer and get a deal done?  2010 Highlander Limited, 97k miles.  BB Retail is like 23k, they are asking 21k.  Lotta miles, I'd like to get it for less than 20k including all fees, etc.
Send me the link.

Why are you guys so sleazy?
We aren't. I sell new cars so I can't speak for sketchy mom & pop used car dealers. Our company owns 16 dealerships and mine in particular has a tremendous reputation. Salesman were very sleazy in the 80's & 90's (because it was not regulated) so that affects how people view us today. Everything is available to the consumer online and automotive sales is very regulated these days.  

As a customer with a trade in towards a new car, am I better off getting the trade in value first before negotiating the new car sales price or vice versa? Does it matter?

How does selling a Lifetime Oil Change on a new car help the parts department?

Why can't more salespeople fill out a Due Bill correctly?

Trade ins - good idea or better off selling the old car yourself?
In most cases, selling it yourself could warrant more money, but you do save money in taxes with a trade in. We have to take the cars through service, detail them, then price them so we can make money afterwards. Depends if you want to deal with the hassle or not.

As a customer with a trade in towards a new car, am I better off getting the trade in value first before negotiating the new car sales price or vice versa? Does it matter?
Get your car appraised by the dealer first. You can always use that to your advantage in negotiating.

Ex: "I'll take it today if you can give me $500 for my trade."

How does selling a Lifetime Oil Change on a new car help the parts department?

Why can't more salespeople fill out a Due Bill correctly?
It's usually a marketing thing. Doesn't really help the parts department. 

To your second question: Can't speak for all, lol. 

Is the last day of the quarter/year really the best day to purchase a new car because of the manufacturer bonuses available to dealerships?

Is the last day of the quarter/year really the best day to purchase a new car because of the manufacturer bonuses available to dealerships?
It can be. If the dealer needs your sale to hit their manufacturer number to get a bonus, they'll lose money on the deal to get it. Our bonuses are usually monthly, so the last week of the month everyone is trying to close up as many deals as possible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i figured the GM would be top dog, just curious as to Asst.GM vs F&I heads.
We don't have an Assistant GM either. Sales Manager's would be the closest to an AGM at my store. Sales Manager's are a little above F&I I would say, but they don't control one another. Two separate entities with two different sets of rules, regs, etc. 

My car had an MSRP of $50k and on the lease they recognized $42k as the value of the car. They explained that sometimes they sell cars at a loss to keep numbers up - that sounds like bull####... Do dealers ever sell cars at losses?

Whats the biggest secret to avoid being ####ed over?
That's easy.  Even a moron like me knows the secret lies in your ability to walk.  You can't love the car.  You can't need the car.  If you need the car for any reason, you're at an instant disadvantage.  But if you can say "no, thank you" and walk out intact, you can keep the upper hand.  

What's the most $ you've earned in a single month? What's an average month like? 
I like to do $6-7k/month. Can earn up to $10-15k at my store. Depends entirely on the dealer, what you sell, location, the sales person, etc. 

Whats the biggest secret to avoid being ####ed over?
Find a reputable dealer and a reliable sales person. Read reviews, read reviews, read reviews! 

My car had an MSRP of $50k and on the lease they recognized $42k as the value of the car. They explained that sometimes they sell cars at a loss to keep numbers up - that sounds like bull####... Do dealers ever sell cars at losses?
Absolutely. If we don't gross over $2000 on a particular car, we earn what is called a "mini", which is just $150 at my store. Even if it's a $1 profit, or a -$500 loss, the sales person is guaranteed that $150. To hit numbers, we will take a loss if we have to, but that often is made up on manufacturer bonuses. Also, I'm sure some of that $8,000 difference between MSRP and the sale price is factory rebates. Rebates don't hurt the profit of the deal, because they're funded by the manufacturer in most cases. A lot of people think we're BS'ing in situations where we are really not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense to the OP but their are still tons of scumbags in the car dealership business. I know many personally both in sales and service. Honest one's who treat people right are the minority.

Why are you salesmen such pricks when you come down to the service dept to schedule work for a sold vehicle? :P

Oh please.

No offense Brendon - thanks for doing this.  
I think you misunderstood the comment. The comment was not offensive to him. It was meant to explain the clique that car salesman are scumbags but rather all professions have bad people.  There are plenty of good car salesman.  

Carry on. 

I once traded in a car for $25 (and boy, did that dealer get screwed on that deal. I have no idea how he even got it out of the parking spot without crashing it into everything).

Anyway, ever take in a trade-in for less than that?
No ####... I once traded a vehicle they had to come and TOW!.   Yup..  back in the early '90s, and I hit them at just the right time of year, near year-end.  

I think you misunderstood the comment. The comment was not offensive to him. It was meant to explain the clique that car salesman are scumbags but rather all professions have bad people.  There are plenty of good car salesman.  

Carry on. 
I understood your comment.  I was disagreeing with your statement that the car selling business didn't have a higher percentage of sleazy bad guys than other businesses. 

Bull####.

We aren't. I sell new cars so I can't speak for sketchy mom & pop used car dealers. Our company owns 16 dealerships and mine in particular has a tremendous reputation. Salesman were very sleazy in the 80's & 90's (because it was not regulated) so that affects how people view us today. Everything is available to the consumer online and automotive sales is very regulated these days.  
If you're not sleazy, how do explain the points in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMWmYJOa-BM

I understood your comment.  I was disagreeing with your statement that the car selling business didn't have a higher percentage of sleazy bad guys than other businesses. 

Bull####.
Absolutely.  Car salesman and realtors (and of course lawyers) easily right at the top in terms of highest percentage of D-bags in the field.

Absolutely.  Car salesman and realtors (and of course lawyers) easily right at the top in terms of highest percentage of D-bags in the field.
Thank you for making my point. There are plenty of other professions that have dirt balls. Collection agents I would add to that superb group also. 

Do you actually get sales by calling people a year or two after a purchase? I can't imagine people just decide on a whim to buy a new vehicle just because you call them with the latest sale.

This forum is so awful.  The guy is nice enough to answer questions and people are trying their hardest to ruin this thread.  Please go derail another thread instead.
And it's the usual suspects, yet again.

OP, you said the last week of the month is a good time to buy. Is the last week or two of the year even better?

Why do we need car dealerships? Do you feel Tesla's direct sales model is a threat?

Do you actually get sales by calling people a year or two after a purchase? I can't imagine people just decide on a whim to buy a new vehicle just because you call them with the latest sale.
They do this so you remember them when you are looking to buy again.

Users who are viewing this thread