What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

KENYAN DRAKE RB, ARIZONA CARDINALS

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said he would "like to have three" running backs to deploy during the regular season.

"D.J. [Foster] was banged up last year," Kingsbury said. "We think he has a good skill set. But that's an area that we'd like to have three. We'd like to have three that we feel like we could roll through and not lose much." Kingsbury also noted that Kenyan Drake and Chase Edmonds "played at a very high level and had their opportunity" but the team would still like to have a viable third runner available for use on game days. No matter the team's method and capital used when adding another body to this backfield, Drake, who averaged 18.9 touches as the overall RB4 in Arizona's last eight games, projects as a top-12 player at his position for any offseason fantasy leagues.

SOURCE: Howard Balzer on Twitter

Apr 8, 2020, 6:00 PM ET

Cardinals GM Steve Keim wants to sign RB Kenyan Drake to a long-term contract.

The same can be said about DeAndre Hopkins, but we already knew that. Drake's currently playing on the one-year, $8.5 million transition tag, which makes him a free agent in 2021. After the recent mega-deal busts, it's not a bad idea to go year-by-year at running back, but the two parties could work out a multi-year deal prior to the season starting. Drake was one of the most efficient runners at the end of the last season despite having zero time to prep for Kliff Kingsbury's air raid system. The former-Dolphin should be viewed as a fantasy RB1 after Bill O'Brien indefensibly traded for David Johnson. 

RELATED: 

DeAndre Hopkins

SOURCE: AZCardinals.com

Apr 15, 2020, 9:20 PM ET

Doing some initial analysis tonight.  Man, I forgot how dominant Drake was down the stretch.  Scoring at a rate of over 300 PPR points after the trade. In his prime at 26.  If he stays healthy....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had him in 3/5 dynasties before he was traded to AZ, and as it turns out I already had Edmonds in all of those leagues as well. Worked out nicely.

I like Drake, but I think you really need to handcuff him since he's a volatile guy and Edmonds has flashed big potential at times.

Between the two of them, hopefully you get a top 10-15 PPR back you can start every week this season.

If people think Drake is a fluke, go back and look at the second half of his 2017 season. He has done it before.

EBF said:
I had him in 3/5 dynasties before he was traded to AZ, and as it turns out I already had Edmonds in all of those leagues as well. Worked out nicely.

I like Drake, but I think you really need to handcuff him since he's a volatile guy and Edmonds has flashed big potential at times.

Between the two of them, hopefully you get a top 10-15 PPR back you can start every week this season.

If people think Drake is a fluke, go back and look at the second half of his 2017 season. He has done it before.
You have to go get Edmonds if you own Drake. 

• Smile
Reactions: EBF
EBF said:
There is an Arlington National Cemetary-sized graveyard of RBs who flash at the end of a season and can’t recreate the magic when given the job for a full season. 

You're entitled to believe whatever you want, but his PPR finishes the last three seasons are:

2017 - RB31

2018 - RB14

2019 - RB17

He has a 4.8 career YPC. He was a third round pick despite splitting carries with D Henry at Alabama. The Cardinals opted to trade away DJ, forego RBs early in the draft, and pay Drake $8M this year.

This is a talented guy. The issue has always been winning the trust of a coaching staff to get a full workload.

I'm not sure it will happen this year and, as I said, I think you need to handcuff him, but history shows that he will produce when given touches. There's really not a lot of ambiguity there, and this is probably the best offense he's been a part of.

There is an Arlington National Cemetary-sized graveyard of RBs who flash at the end of a season and can’t recreate the magic when given the job for a full season. 
Yeah but AZ offense is going to be really good. Every RB when healthy did great in it last year. 

Yeah but AZ offense is going to be really good. Every RB when healthy did great in it last year. 
Lots of unique offenses get figured out after a year of film. 
I’m a Kyler fan, but I am being cautious about a giant 2nd season leap, especially in the complete absence of offseason activities and a (presumed) delay to the start of the regular season

I’m a Kyler fan, but I am being cautious about a giant 2nd season leap, especially in the complete absence of offseason activities and a (presumed) delay to the start of the regular season
Next to impossible to defend when they block for Kyler......

Did they do anything at all to improve their blocking in the offseason?  Serious question, I didn’t follow their offensive line signings or picks. 
Yeah they drafted a OT (Jones), signed another (Gilbert), and resigned Humphries. 

I felt they should have drafted Wirfs at #8 in the first but they did get a good prospect in Jones in the 3rd. 

I can see Drake not having a firm grip on the job long term.  Someone like Eno Benjamin could unseat him in a couple of years or less.  Edmonds isn't that great of a challenge IMO.

I am pretty bullish on Kyler making a leap, but seeing him already priced like he has (QB #4 on FantasyPros) is a bit rich.

True.  But there are also a handful of championship banners that come from them as well.

Some of the greatest fantasy seasons of all-time (David Johnson, Larry Johnson, DeAngelo Williams) came following these late end of season runs.

Sure there are three Spencer Wares for every one of them, but the payoff is huge.

I can see Drake not having a firm grip on the job long term.  Someone like Eno Benjamin could unseat him in a couple of years or less.  Edmonds isn't that great of a challenge IMO.
I see very little chance that Eno ever becomes even slightly relevant.  The NFL is undefeated on these guys that the fantasy community considered good prospects that free fell to the end of the NFL draft.

Lache Seastrunk, Jon Dwyer, Equanimeous St Brown, Hakeem Butler, etc.

I see very little chance that Eno ever becomes even slightly relevant.  The NFL is undefeated on these guys that the fantasy community considered good prospects that free fell to the end of the NFL draft.

The Benjamin love is mystifying! I'm going to say it all off-season, Edmunds is the guy to target and draft.

Stefon Diggs was really highly-regarded in dev circles at one point, then slipped to the 5th. Then became star. Only guy I can think of.

As for Eno, I had it right in the summer. 4.57 isn't going to work with his body type.

Not trying to bash anyone's pick, but one player who looked a little overrated to me was Eno Benjamin. My notes on him are that he has a good jump cut, but is small without elite game speed. Jahvid Best without the wheels.

I can see Eno having a Duke Johnson type of career, which isn't bad in PPR.  Either way, Drake isn't for very long as the starter IMO.

Edmonds flashed nicely in his opportunity, but Drake really hammered his opportunity home, and it was over more than a two or three game stretch like Edmonds's was. From the time Drake touched down in AZ to play San Francisco until the end of the year, he was the point man on that offense. As for Eno, I'm not sure how an underwhelming (on highlights he looked unimpressive as was noted before) back is going to be a threat to two guys that have looked dynamic in the pros.

There's a pretty clear order of backs in AZ, and it goes Drake, Edmonds, and then Eno, health permitting. 

rockaction said:
Edmonds flashed nicely in his opportunity, but Drake really hammered his opportunity home, and it was over more than a two or three game stretch like Edmonds's was.
Edmonds wasn't even two or three games.  He's had one game over 8 carries in two years there.

Edmonds wasn't even two or three games.  He's had one game over 8 carries in two years there.
Yeah, I said one game a bit back in the thread and someone corrected me because it had been two if you included receptions or something like that. I was just erring on the side of caution. His big flash came against the Giants on the road in a downpour of Jersey rain. Weird game. Three touchdowns and went for over 115, IIRC. 

FreeBaGeL said:
There is a decent list of guys that went on the last day of the draft and are still pretty relevant. Maybe not the 7th round, but the last day of the draft. Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, Marlon Mack, Jordan Howard, James White. The "draft community" was higher on most of those guys than the NFL was but they have all had some success at the NFL level. Full disclosure I was always an Edmonds fan before he was drafted and thought he had a shot to be on that list as well if it hadn't been for the injury/Drake trade.

There is a decent list of guys that went on the last day of the draft and are still pretty relevant. Maybe not the 7th round, but the last day of the draft. Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, Marlon Mack, Jordan Howard, James White. The "draft community" was higher on most of those guys than the NFL was but they have all had some success at the NFL level. Full disclosure I was always an Edmonds fan before he was drafted and thought he had a shot to be on that list as well if it hadn't been for the injury/Drake trade.
Well sure any guy at the end of the draft could be the next Tom Brady or Marques Colston or Alfred Morris.  But when we talk about Dak Prescott we don't worry about Ben Dinucci.  When we talk about Jalen Reagor we don't worry about Quez Watkins.  When we talk about Keshawn Vaugh we don't worry about Raymond Calais.

So why then when we talk about Kenyan Drake is Eno Benjamin brought up as if he is some threat that needs to be taken somewhat seriously?  The one and only reason for that is because 8 months ago Eno was a hot prospect in dynasty circles and now everyone knows his name.

So then the question becomes is there anything to that.  Does a guy once being thought of as someone that should go 4-5 rounds earlier in fantasy football circles make him any more likely to hit as a late round pick than a typical late round pick would be?  My intent in bringing up other guys that fit that mold is that it doesn't seem to be the case.  Obviously that's unscientific, but I'm not seeing it.

So no, if I had Drake I wouldn't be any more worried about Eno than I would be worried about Campbell as a Vaughn/Rojo owner, or worried about Cullen Gillaspia as a David Johnson owner, etc.  Maybe one of them is the next Alfred Morris who comes in and takes over the job, but I don't think Eno is more likely to do it than any of those other guys just because I had heard of him more than a year ago.

Well sure any guy at the end of the draft could be the next Tom Brady or Marques Colston or Alfred Morris.  But when we talk about Dak Prescott we don't worry about Ben Dinucci.  When we talk about Jalen Reagor we don't worry about Quez Watkins.  When we talk about Keshawn Vaugh we don't worry about Raymond Calais.

So why then when we talk about Kenyan Drake is Eno Benjamin brought up as if he is some threat that needs to be taken somewhat seriously?  The one and only reason for that is because 8 months ago Eno was a hot prospect in dynasty circles and now everyone knows his name.

So then the question becomes is there anything to that.  Does a guy once being thought of as someone that should go 4-5 rounds earlier in fantasy football circles make him any more likely to hit as a late round pick than a typical late round pick would be?  My intent in bringing up other guys that fit that mold is that it doesn't seem to be the case.  Obviously that's unscientific, but I'm not seeing it.

So no, if I had Drake I wouldn't be any more worried about Eno than I would be worried about Campbell as a Vaughn/Rojo owner, or worried about Cullen Gillaspia as a David Johnson owner, etc.  Maybe one of them is the next Alfred Morris who comes in and takes over the job, but I don't think Eno is more likely to do it than any of those other guys just because I had heard of him more than a year ago.
Love Raymond Calais as a late round flyer. Best home run hitter in this draft. 

Yeah, I said one game a bit back in the thread and someone corrected me because it had been two if you included receptions or something like that. I was just erring on the side of caution. His big flash came against the Giants on the road in a downpour of Jersey rain. Weird game. Three touchdowns and went for over 115, IIRC. 
Was the only game I could pick up on a flight to Vegas that day.  Kyler barely threw for 100 yards :lol:  

I had Kyler starting in a Superflex league that day, much to my chagrin.
Ended up with my worse season in 9 years for my local auction/keeper league.  Was going up against my neighbor playing Barkley/Tate.  So was watching that bad game really closely.  Won the game, but didn't make the playoffs 🤦‍♂️

Ended up with my worse season in 9 years for my local auction/keeper league.  Was going up against my neighbor playing Barkley/Tate.  So was watching that bad game really closely.  Won the game, but didn't make the playoffs 🤦‍♂️
I won the consolation brackets in each of my main leagues. :doh:

An emphatic no! 
Interesting.  

I like the over myself.

He's been stuck on a god awful Miami team all of his career.  In spite of this, he's averaged 4.8 yards per carry.  After switching to Arizona last year, he was a monster.  He averaged 15 rushes a game and 5.2 ypc.  I think the volume numbers are likely to repeat.  So just as a rough start--240 rushes.  

Arizona should be a massive upgrade.  Everyone seems to love Kyler Murray this year.  They added one of the best WR in the game in Hopkins.  Kirk is a promising young guy.  They've got the speed burner in Isabella.  They're going to spread defenses out, they're going to go deep.  They'll run a lot of plays and score a lot of points.  Drake will have the luxury of working underneath and finding open space.  To hit 1,000 yards on 240 rushes, he only needs to average about 4.2 ypc.  I think he winds up better than that and 1,000 feels conservative.  I think 1100+ yards rushing and 400-500 yards receiving are doable.  

They got rid of David Johnson.  Edmonds was getting 0-1 rushes in many of the late season games.  I think they wanted a certain style of RB for the offense and Drake is the perfect fit.  

I have zero dynasty shares.  Who wants a RB for the Miami dolphins?!  LOL.  But I'm loving him in redraft.

Any concerns on workload and being a benefactor of late-season fresh legs for Drake? He's been pumped up to low end RB1 status from his huge weeks in 15 and 16. But he entered those games benefiting from 3 well spaced bye weeks along the way (Week 5 in Miami, Week 8 traded, Week 12 Arizona) and had only 111 carries through Week 14. Was this a case of fresh legs? He did the same thing in 2017 with only having 42 carries through Week 11 then exploding the remainder of the season. Another thing to consider is his workload. In his 4 years, the 170 carries he got last year was his high mark with 133 being the next highest. If he's to get 240 carries as being suggested can he (1) handle that amount of workload and (2) be as efficient throughout 2020 with all those carries as we saw him down the stretch last year. 

Not a hater here and I am considering him at his current ADP. Trying to determine how much risk there is with Drake. Seems like a boom or bust candidate at his current ADP.

Any concerns on workload and being a benefactor of late-season fresh legs for Drake? He's been pumped up to low end RB1 status from his huge weeks in 15 and 16. But he entered those games benefiting from 3 well spaced bye weeks along the way (Week 5 in Miami, Week 8 traded, Week 12 Arizona) and had only 111 carries through Week 14. Was this a case of fresh legs? He did the same thing in 2017 with only having 42 carries through Week 11 then exploding the remainder of the season. Another thing to consider is his workload. In his 4 years, the 170 carries he got last year was his high mark with 133 being the next highest. If he's to get 240 carries as being suggested can he (1) handle that amount of workload and (2) be as efficient throughout 2020 with all those carries as we saw him down the stretch last year. 

Not a hater here and I am considering him at his current ADP. Trying to determine how much risk there is with Drake. Seems like a boom or bust candidate at his current ADP.
I think your questions are excellent and will take your points under advisement. Solid post. 

It's definitely the biggest ongoing concern for Drake.  From college to pro no one has ever been willing to give him the load for a whole season.

As to whether or not he could handle 240 carries, one interesting thing about Drake is that despite this belief from so many (including NFL coaches) that he is a part timer he has probably the cleanest NFL injury history of any RB in the league.  Even part time players are constantly dinged up in the NFL, yet Drake has been in the league for 4 years now and has never missed a single game to injury.

FreeBaGeL said:
It's definitely the biggest ongoing concern for Drake.  From college to pro no one has ever been willing to give him the load for a whole season.

As to whether or not he could handle 240 carries, one interesting thing about Drake is that despite this belief from so many (including NFL coaches) that he is a part timer he has probably the cleanest NFL injury history of any RB in the league.  Even part time players are constantly dinged up in the NFL, yet Drake has been in the league for 4 years now and has never missed a single game to injury.
Well said. We need to consider context for Drake's usage. Much like Josh Jacobs his teams were stacked. MIA was a much different situation but what context we have is that Drake and Parker flourished once free from Gase. That has me wanting to give Drake a pass. 

I just assume folks are trolling about Drake's injury history. He has a 97% availability rate in his career, which is prettay, prettay good.   

I am having a hard time ignoring that fact that Drake was on pace for a monster season with AZ. I need some to talk some sense into me! 👀

Well said. We need to consider context for Drake's usage. Much like Josh Jacobs his teams were stacked. MIA was a much different situation but what context we have is that Drake and Parker flourished once free from Gase. That has me wanting to give Drake a pass. 

I just assume folks are trolling about Drake's injury history. He has a 97% availability rate in his career, which is prettay, prettay good.   

I am having a hard time ignoring that fact that Drake was on pace for a monster season with AZ. I need some to talk some sense into me! 👀
Gut feeling.  FBG is high on him.  But bad DJ memories just haunt me.

Kenyan Drake: Cardinals are going to 'take the league by storm'

Excerpt:

Drake's top-end speed that made him a coveted recruit at Alabama shined once he was traded from Miami to Arizona last season. Drake reached 15-plus mph on 26.8 percent of his rushes with the Cardinals, as opposed to hitting that speed threshold on just 14.9 percent of his carries with the Dolphins in the same season. His 33 rushes of 15-plus mph were the second-most in the entire NFL from Weeks 9-17 in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread