What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenyan Drake, LV (1 Viewer)

I just took him at 1.11 in redraft.  Followed up with Miles Sanders at 2.02.   Leaving the likes of Mixon and Jacobs on board as well as Hopkins and Julio with the WR depth this year.

Back to Drake.......I gave this a great deal of thought before pulling the trigger, and I feel really good about it.  

Thoughts on Drake as a RB1?

I just took him at 1.11 in redraft.  Followed up with Miles Sanders at 2.02.   Leaving the likes of Mixon and Jacobs on board as well as Hopkins and Julio with the WR depth this year.

Back to Drake.......I gave this a great deal of thought before pulling the trigger, and I feel really good about it.  

I would have done Sanders before Drake.

He looks like he's going to go RB1 to someone, might as well be you, I guess. I just hesitate because he hasn't handled this many chances yet in his career. Like ever. Then again, Mixon's on a dynamic offense that will spread the ball around, and so is Jacobs, with the same durability questions and third-down questions that Drake doesn't have.

I like the redraft pick.

Bold. Could be a career year for Drake. BUT...get a Steve Slayton vibe from him. I would rather have Mixon or Jacobs over Sanders or Drake personally. But the upside is there for sure, just don’t trust his resume to be a season long contributor. 

I've got them Mixon, Drake, Sanders, Jacobs in PPR.  

Mixon and Drake appear to have the majority of touches locked up.  Sanders is talented but you've got Doug Pederson and his committees.  I don't like how little Jacobs is involved in the passing game.

I believe in Drake this year.  I'm drafting at 1.14.  Don't expect Mixon to be there and I'm hoping to land Drake as well.

Bold. Could be a career year for Drake. BUT...get a Steve Slayton vibe from him. I would rather have Mixon or Jacobs over Sanders or Drake personally. But the upside is there for sure, just don’t trust his resume to be a season long contributor. 
I am not sure if the Slaton comparison is completely fair, Slaton got injured out of the league pretty quickly, while it seems like Miami just did not know what to do with Drake. Late 1st round does seems a bit rich for Drake, but he could always be worth it and he is not any less warty than any other RB past the top 5 or so. I do think he will be drafted later on average than the other RBs you name, so I guess he could have value if he is a mid to late 2nd rounder compared to the others being late first to early second rounders. I actually like both Drake and Sanders more than Mixon or Jacobs, so I guess I would be the anti-you for this decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Mixon a lot this year with the o-line being healthy and Burrow in town.  If it's PPR, I can see Sanders and Drake ahead of him.  But Mixon isn't a slouch catching balls out of the backfield.

On the flip-side, if it's PPR, I'd probably go one of those WR's to go along with Sanders/Drake whichever you like better.  I've got them 1 spot apart, and I go back and forth on which one I like better.

Will Kyler Murray live up to the hype (and his lofty fantasy draft cost) in 2020?

Excerpt:

Kenyan Drake became a league-winner last season after three Miami years of wallowing in mediocrity. With a current ADP of 17, fantasy players are clearly believing in him. Are you in the same boat, or is a regression to the mean in the cards for Drake in his first full season as a Cardinal?

Andy: Drake definitely gave us a well-timed December binge, deciding a few fantasy titles with 330 scrimmage yards and six TDs in Weeks 15-16. We can’t expect exactly that level of absurd production over a full season, but the man is clearly an unchallenged lead back in a dynamic offense. His receiving usage over his half-season with the Cards suggests he’s going to catch 50-60 balls, assuming good health. Drake’s setup suggests the potential for 1,500-plus yards from scrimmage and 8-12 touchdowns. So yeah, I’ll happily take him early in Round 2, if not higher.

Scott: There’s no floor here, but the upside has to excite you. Heck, Chase Edmondswent off on the Giants last year, and David Johnson was surprisingly useful for a month — this is an offense that elevates its running backs. Around the Round 1/Round 2 turn, Drake is a legitimate play-to-win pick. And although I generally don’t like chasing multiple backs on the same team, Edmonds isn’t a bad tandem pick (or worth chasing as a solo selection, in case Drake doesn’t come through).

Matt: He’s an ideal Round 2 selection. Kenyan Drake was a legit machine to end last season under the guidance of a coach who actually believed in his ceiling as a feature back. Even as Kliff Kingsbury tried to help the offense find its way as a passing unit, Arizona was an awesome rushing offense all year. The Cardinals were the No. 2 rushing offense in Football Outsiders DVOA. Even David Johnson and Chase Edmonds had successful fantasy weeks as the lead back before Drake came in and took the backfield over. Now that the team invested in Drake with a tag in the offseason, their commitment is clear. Totally in at draft cost.

Is it just me, or do you have a hard time buying into Drake?  There is that little bird on my shoulder that says, "don't do it".  Perhaps it's a stupid little bird, I don't really know.

What is Drake worth as far as picks go in dynasty?
I've have some discussions around him in my league because I think I'm in better position next year so I might unload him. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but I'd imagine a first is involved. Also I might hold until a few games into the year and sell when guys see him performing again (hopefully) and others realize they are contenders and Drake could put them over the top.

JohnnyU said:
Is it just me, or do you have a hard time buying into Drake?  There is that little bird on my shoulder that says, "don't do it".  Perhaps it's a stupid little bird, I don't really know.
I have been shocked where I have been seeing him ranked.  People have had him above Mixon, Jones, Chubb.  I just don't see that.  He had half a good year and really only got the opportunity because Edmunds pulled his hammie in a 3 TD game.   If I had him I would be looking to cash in on the hype. 

I have been shocked where I have been seeing him ranked.  People have had him above Mixon, Jones, Chubb.  I just don't see that.  He had half a good year and really only got the opportunity because Edmunds pulled his hammie in a 3 TD game.   If I had him I would be looking to cash in on the hype. 
A lot of people are banking on a big breakout from the Arizona offense.  It's a major risk/reward type pick.  I wouldn't take him over Mixon or Jones but in redraft I would consider him ahead of Chubb who was a boring RB23 in his half season with Kareem Hunt last year.

Remember there was another Arizona RB drafted in a similar range after half a season of good production that only happened because of a banged up Andre Ellington.

These type of guys can kill you, but they can also win you leagues.  Nick Chubb probably doesn't have that upside this year without an injury to Kareem Hunt AND a massive increase in his role in the passing game AND a massive increase in the TD opportunities of a floundering Cleveland offense.

Absolutely.  I think he's in a good offense that suits his skills.  He had a fantastic 8 game stretch.  There's still something that gives me pause.  

Last year was his most rushing attempts ever:  170 rushes and most yards 817.  Can he hold up?

People were so hyped going into 2018 and he bit them big time.  IIRC people were hyped based on how he finished in 2017.  Now we're excited based on how he finished 19.  And some of it's justified.  

But it's enough to push him to the back of the Aaron Jones/Miles Sanders/Drake range.  I go back and forth on Drake vs Jacobs--I worry about Jacobs lack of passing game work.  

Absolutely.  I think he's in a good offense that suits his skills.  He had a fantastic 8 game stretch.  There's still something that gives me pause.  

Last year was his most rushing attempts ever:  170 rushes and most yards 817.  Can he hold up?

People were so hyped going into 2018 and he bit them big time.  IIRC people were hyped based on how he finished in 2017.  Now we're excited based on how he finished 19.  And some of it's justified.  

But it's enough to push him to the back of the Aaron Jones/Miles Sanders/Drake range.  I go back and forth on Drake vs Jacobs--I worry about Jacobs lack of passing game work.  
If you look at the difference in stats rushing between Miami and Arizona, you will see a huge difference. If you look at this link you will see Pff graded Miami the worst oline, and worst run blocking grade oline... https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

Now that is saying a lot because the Jets had a terrible Oline and graded higher than Miami.

You have to also consider for a couple years Drake had the misfortune of being coached by Gase. Gase is probably rated the worst head coach in NFL right now. Who else has proven worse? I think Drake finally got out of a bad situation.

Despite all of that he has a respectable yards per carry. You have to take risks to get rewards, and I think the indicators are this is a high reward for the risk taken. I like where his adp is at and have no problems taking him there. 

And as I mentioned in Asst forum, according to fantasy pros dynasty draft chart, Drake should command an early first round and third round pick for Drake. 

I wanted to mention a few more things. In Drake’s first two seasons Gase was rated the 26th and 28th best head coach in football. Basically just above coaches that got booted. He himself got booted. https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr/total-rank/?season=2018

Additionally, if you look at what pace Drake was on and double it to make 16 games worth of AZ play, you would see he would rank 2nd RB overall for half and full ppr, behind only CMac. And he would be third in standard behind CMac and Henry. So while we wouldn’t know if that could have happened, it is a pace that suggests he was in the elite for eight games in AZ.

With Hopkins joining the offense this could allow him higher yds per carry because it might draw a little more attention down field away from the box. He was at 5.2 yds per carry in AZ last season. 🙂

And as I mentioned in Asst forum, according to fantasy pros dynasty draft chart, Drake should command an early first round and third round pick for Drake. 
Isn't that kind of ridiculous?  Even on my worst day I would say no more than a very late 1st and something tells me not to consider that.  What that means is that I won't own him.

I may be missing the boat on Drake.  I still wouldn't trade CEH, Taylor, Dobbins, Jeudy, or Lamb for him in dynasty.
Not many people would pay that. He's a late first-rounder, meaning about 1.09-1.12. That's none of those guys' ADP. FantasyPros is among the many that provides trade caluclator values. Those, as you know, certainly aren't gospel. They're a jumping-in point.

I wouldn't give a first and third for him. A late first/early second should be enough, calc wise. He's about to be 27 and is on the transition tag without an extension yet. That window closes on the 22nd, IIRC. We'll see what happens after that.

Do you think his value is best now? Or a few weeks into the season?
Predicting this season is a fool's errand. Unless you've got a really good bead on COVID, its attendant news, and your predictions are in line with what happens, you're not really able to do much. Sometimes we think we can do things and anticipate that which we have no control over. Estimating his worth right now is difficult. What I did is found someone who covets him for someone I coveted and I dealt him. But I'm in sort of a rebuild so I wanted to get younger (yes, year 26-27 is now ancient for RBs) and got a quality young receiver that I loved (McLaurin) in the deal.

You know. It's really your team and your situation. What value is he to you right now? Are you betting on him to have a great year? Where do you stand? Are you scarce at RB? WR? All of those questions are relevant.

Straight up, ceteris paribus, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll leave that for more experienced members of the board. But are you really banking on the information given off by a late first-rounder this year. College schedules and training are already decimated. What information are we going to be able to glean from rising sophomores, etc.?

In redraft PPR he is going late 1st round.  Dang, I'm really undecided on him.  He has burned a lot of teams over the years.

opinions?

In redraft PPR he is going late 1st round.  Dang, I'm really undecided on him.  He has burned a lot of teams over the years.

opinions?
He has always played great, just got screwed by coaching staff....always made me wonder if there was something off field.  But back when he was getting passed up for Ballage he was still grading out SUPER high on PFF with the plays he did get.  Before that, it was Gore....Drake would finally get a possession or two and do great but right back to sideline.  Cardinals system is perfect for him (or any rb).  

He has always played great, just got screwed by coaching staff....always made me wonder if there was something off field.  But back when he was getting passed up for Ballage he was still grading out SUPER high on PFF with the plays he did get.  Before that, it was Gore....Drake would finally get a possession or two and do great but right back to sideline.  Cardinals system is perfect for him (or any rb).  
Drake had a reputation across multiple coaching staffs for being lazy. Last guy to show up, first guy to leave type stuff. If it were just Adam Gase who felt that way, it'd be one thing, but Brian Flores didn't seem to like him much either. I don't know that Nick Saban did either. He also upset coaches by passing up 4-5 yard gains, while trying for 15+ and often getting stuffed at the line. That was a primary reason Gore got work over him. 

I do agree the Cards system is extremely RB friendly, especially to a RB like Drake, who is more of a home run hitter. However, Drake has never shown he can handle a large workload, and could potentially fall out of favor again. I also have some concerns that his great 2nd half of the season, was really 3 great games, 1 decent one, and 4 pretty meh games.

Drake has top-5 upside in my opinion, but I think he's a little too risky to be a 1st rounder. 

opinions?
I agree he is somewhat risky, I have him as the very last RB before a big tier drop to Carson, Conner, etc, in standard, while in PPR I would probably put him above Chubb. I am not seeing him as a first rounder often in redraft, he tends to be mid to late second in the ADPs I look at. Feels like if I want an RB at the end of the first I would take Aaron Jones, Miles Sanders, CEH, Jacobs etc. over him. I would be happy to grab him at pick 20 or so though, which means I already have someone like Dalvin Cook from the first round. 

Kenyan Drake tweeted "I'm good" in regard to him being in a walking boot Monday.

Fantasy Twitter was in a panic Monday afternoon when it was revealed Drake was spotted in a walking boot. But coach Kliff Kingsbury brushed it off, calling it precautionary due to soreness. Drake is now shrugging it off, too, saying, "No worries. I'm good." Drake should be fine well in time for Week 1. He's currently being drafted at the back of the second round in half-PPR formats.

SOURCE: Kenyan Drake on Twitter

Aug 24, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

I guess from a Dynasty Drake owner - listening to folks say he isn't worth a first but then hearing polarizing comments about him potentially being a top 5 back is the reason I am stuck holding on.  It's funny, because a guy can go from one of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL to a team that is "perfect for a guy like Kenyon Drake" and people will still not want him... until he rips off a couple 3 TD games, when you'd have to be an absolute ###### to unload him.  🤷‍♂️

I guess from a Dynasty Drake owner - listening to folks say he isn't worth a first but then hearing polarizing comments about him potentially being a top 5 back is the reason I am stuck holding on.  It's funny, because a guy can go from one of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL to a team that is "perfect for a guy like Kenyon Drake" and people will still not want him... until he rips off a couple 3 TD games, when you'd have to be an absolute ###### to unload him.  🤷‍♂️
The more I read, the more I love the guy as a Late second round pick. The upside is definitely there for a top-five running back, but the question marks subdue his draft position a bit.

Seems like the kind of guy where he has burned almost every owner in every league at one time or another. So people looking at last year‘s success might think it was a fluke.

I’ve seen his redraft as low as third round. I pick at three, so if I could get drake at 3.03 after RB/WR, I’d be thrilled. And if I miss I’ll take a Chris Carson or someone in that tier. 

The more I read, the more I love the guy as a Late second round pick. The upside is definitely there for a top-five running back, but the question marks subdue his draft position a bit.

Seems like the kind of guy where he has burned almost every owner in every league at one time or another. So people looking at last year‘s success might think it was a fluke.

I’ve seen his redraft as low as third round. I pick at three, so if I could get drake at 3.03 after RB/WR, I’d be thrilled. And if I miss I’ll take a Chris Carson or someone in that tier. 
In ESPN leagues (where most of my friends draft), he is unfortunately listed as the #11 or #12 player on the draft board. Folks who don't do their homework are very influenced by the order in which the players are presented to them, so sadly he is always gone by early second in my redraft leagues.

In ESPN leagues (where most of my friends draft), he is unfortunately listed as the #11 or #12 player on the draft board. Folks who don't do their homework are very influenced by the order in which the players are presented to them, so sadly he is always gone by early second in my redraft leagues.
This bumps a more valuable player down to you, take it for the boon it is.

Yes great point, the number of times I have gotten one of Jones, Adams or Hill in the second round is astonishing. I see those three as so reliable compared to some of the RBs that get taken earlier.  But I, too, would take Drake late second or early third. You can always draft Edmonds in the 11th or 12th.

The truth is somewhere in between, isn't it, though? He should be worth a late first right now, but news of the boot should cause his price to drop and drop steeply until it's resolved. Certainly wouldn't sell upon this news, unless the "it's fine" is just a smokescreen.

JohnnyU isn't sold, but he's about the only one not thinking Drake is a late first here. 

Exactly. I usually mock like crazy, then look at my league’s draft list to see the default rankings so I can take advantage of them. 

it only sucks when you really want a target & you know it’s not realistic thanks to the pre-draft rankings. 

but as you say, that means someone else will fall. 

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury confirmed Kenyan Drake's walking boot was due to little more than "nicks and bruises." 

"It's just some normal nicks and bruises, normal camp stuff," was Kingsbury's exact quote. "It's just kind of precautionary with him, knowing what he'll be able to do." You don't get a walking boot for "nicks and bruises," but the issue is clearly not something that will affect Drake's Week 1 status. The back himself tweeted Monday that he was "good." 

SOURCE: 12news.com 

Aug 24, 2020, 11:06 PM ET

12T Redraft PPR - Keep 1 League

Got him at 2.06 after taking Michael Thomas at 1.07 and I'm pretty damn happy. RB Order around him was Mixon > Jacobs > Fournette > Drake > A Jones > Carson > Gurley. 

The boot is on my radar but not a big concern yet. I think he's a solid bet for RB5-10 Range this year... with a decent shot finishing below that, and a slim shot of finishing above it. IMO everyone in that tier/range has question marks. If the boot isn't a lingering factor I think Drake is one of the more solid bets in that range if you're willing to accept his volatility. I like pairing him with at least one or two stable producers. 

Hopkins coming should help open the field up a bit more.  Edmonds being healthy (?) could cap Drake's receptions in the 50 range, though I'm probably more optimistic than some and think he could hit 60. 

Edmonds being healthy (?) could cap Drake's receptions
Right now, we have to assume that your parenthetical is true. I'm not sure Edmonds sees the field a tremendous amount compared to other backups in the league. Sounds like Kingsbury is scheming for Drake in the lineup, and I say this as a dynasty GM of Edmonds and former GM of Drake (I moved him for McLaurin this year).

Users who are viewing this thread