What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

So what is the real Baltimore RB depth chart right now?  Forsett still the man here?  If so, and he was out for a few games (after Dixon's hopeful return), what would we see?  Care to speculate on this situation for 2017?

So what is the real Baltimore RB depth chart right now?  Forsett still the man here?  If so, and he was out for a few games (after Dixon's hopeful return), what would we see?  Care to speculate on this situation for 2017?

Beat reporter for the Balt Sun indicated that it's Forsett>West>Allen presently.Dixon's spot in the order, once he's back, will be determined by the success of West.

Dixon was already running with the one's in last week's regular season warm-up game.

He will be the starter in Baltimore week 1 next season, at the latest.  Heck, he's probably the starter by week 9 this season, if he heals quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat reporter for the Balt Sun indicated that it's Forsett>West>Allen presently.Dixon's spot in the order, once he's back, will be determined by the success of West.
I would have to think that Allen is really on the bubble there

Would you hold in redraft? Doubt I ever use him, he's my RB6. Ingram/Freeman + Duke in the flex, Henry & Washington on the bench,

I drafted from an iPhone while on a road trip yesterday morning. I actually snoozed on the injury, had been up in the mountains all weekend. Ware went undrafted, Hightower is another lottery ticket out there waiting to be picked up. 
Some times not knowing stuff helps you.

I would try to keep him even though you have a great bunch of guys already. It would be nice to add Ware as well.

If you think Dixon will be safe of the wire in your league (seems possible considering Ware is there) then you could just park him there for a few weeks, then preemptively pick him back up a week or so ahead of his official recovery. There shouldn't be any buzz about Dixon in the meantime to cause the competition to jump on him. 

Obviously always depends on the league. You likely would not want to try this if Fred was in your league.

eta- If you have to make some difficult choices (not sure what other cut options you might have) I would likely cut Washington for Dixon if there were no other choice in the matter. For the rookie RB I have Henry and Dixon as tier 2 prospects while I only consider Washington tier 3. Washington doesn't have the same feature RB potential as Dixon imo. Washington just has a clearer path for opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dixon and I think he's best RB on Baltimore's roster. The backfield is just so crowded at this point with West, Allen & Forsett and Dixon is rehabbing his mcl tear. If healthy, maybe he takes over late in the year.

I really like his future outlook in Baltimore, Forsett will be gone next year and who knows about West & Allen, I think Dixon is the better all around player of the three, we'll see.

It's only crowded if there are guys with similar talent.  When dixon is out, it's crowded.  When he's back, it's not.  

If dixon hadn't hurt his mcl, we would have been talking about the rookie rb who had climbed the depth chart and clearly taken the job.  

Don't trust me.  Go to https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=kenneth+dixon and read the tweets right before the injury.  See what flacco said about him before the game, and what people were saying about him during the game. 

:tumbleweed:

Wasn't he supposed to be targeting a week 4 return? This situation looks ripe for the taking.
He was on the sidelines doing sprints with a knee brace on last week.  Harbaugh said recovery was on track.  Initial diagnosis reported in the media was approximately 4 weeks which probably means they were guessing because standard recovery for two different grades of mcl injury are 2-4 and 4-8.  Still unknown which grade he has, but the timeframe could be anywhere from this week to week 9, with this week seeming a bit too optimistic and week 9 seeming unnecessarily pessimistic although they do have a week 8 bye so it's certainly possible.  Best guess is he plays week 5 but that's a guess.  I'm confident he is the full time starter by week 9 at the latest and ready to go on a second half tear.

He was on the sidelines doing sprints with a knee brace on last week.  Harbaugh said recovery was on track.  Initial diagnosis reported in the media was approximately 4 weeks which probably means they were guessing because standard recovery for two different grades of mcl injury are 2-4 and 4-8.  Still unknown which grade he has, but the timeframe could be anywhere from this week to week 9, with this week seeming a bit too optimistic and week 9 seeming unnecessarily pessimistic although they do have a week 8 bye so it's certainly possible.  Best guess is he plays week 5 but that's a guess.  I'm confident he is the full time starter by week 9 at the latest and ready to go on a second half tear.
If the actual time frame was anything beyond week 5-6, they'd have put him on the PUP, right? The lack of PUP meant to me we'd see him by week 4-5 at the latest. However, I really expected some updates by now. Considering how bad the running game has looked, you'd think there'd be much more chatter about Dixon. Lead RB in a Trestman offense has a high ceiling in all formats.

He played in the preseason so they couldn't put him on pup.  They could have put him in ir designated to return week 8 or spent a roster spot on him and they opted for the roster spot.  That's still a good indication though.

Before hurting his knee, I think dixon was emerging as the rb of the future, and the talk about west doing well was more of an indictment of the other backs than how much he really stood out.  

Before the game

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Joe-Flacco-Gives-Rave-Review-Of-Rookie-RB-Kenneth-Dixon/4da970de-158b-48ad-aee2-94e452f76c24

During the game (Video clips of two good runs)

https://mobile.twitter.com/WolaWriteMore/status/769686389424259073/video/1

https://vine.co/v/5e5g6DuK5Mw

He looked really, reaaly good.  He played in the first drive, albeit with forsett getting the night off, and while west got an early goal line opportunity, dixon got the next one, and unfortunately that's where he got hurt.

MRI scheduled for later today on what they are callimg a knee sprain. Harbaugh sounds optimistic, but if you're a head coach, there's no downside to sounding optimistic - either he's ok and you were right or he's hurt and you are disappointed.  Much better than acting gloomy and doomy.  Note that dixon already sprained his mcl earlier this preseason, and missed around a week at the start of camp.  
This is how he looked a month ago.  The twitter link is dead but the vine of his other big run is active

Considering waiting for waivers to run this week, to hopefully pick him or Booker up for free and drop Langford. Both those guys smack of a 'winning your fantasy league' type of run down the stretch this year. 

He played in the preseason so they couldn't put him on pup.  They could have put him in ir designated to return week 8 or spent a roster spot on him and they opted for the roster spot.  That's still a good indication though.
Ah, yeah, totally forgot about that rule.

Considering waiting for waivers to run this week, to hopefully pick him or Booker up for free and drop Langford. Both those guys smack of a 'winning your fantasy league' type of run down the stretch this year. 
Booker? He'd need a season ending CJA injury. CJA isn't going to give up that job any time soon. He's a legit 3 down back.

Ah, yeah, totally forgot about that rule.

Booker? He'd need a season ending CJA injury. CJA isn't going to give up that job any time soon. He's a legit 3 down back.
Well yes. There is a difference between the two. Dixon could win the job on his own anyway, and with Booker your hoping an injury occurs. Different things to weigh up ...

Booker - needs injury but run game in Den looks great and could be an RB1 if CJ went down 

Dixon - potential to win job without an injury infront of him, yet run game from Ravens hasn't been great so far ( how much is due to RBs or how much due to line/schemes ? )

Well yes. There is a difference between the two. Dixon could win the job on his own anyway, and with Booker your hoping an injury occurs. Different things to weigh up ...

Booker - needs injury but run game in Den looks great and could be an RB1 if CJ went down 

Dixon - potential to win job without an injury infront of him, yet run game from Ravens hasn't been great so far ( how much is due to RBs or how much due to line/schemes ? )
Huuuge difference.

I know it seems like injuries are happening all the time, but I'd say there's a very low chance that CJA is injured during FF playoffs. Also, while I like Booker, we can't say he's an automatic RB1 if CJA went down. CJA is a very good NFL RB.

Dixon, however, has a greater than 50% chance of being the starting RB during weeks 14-16. As for the problems with the Baltimore running game, I'd say that is more on the RBs. Forsett is about to turn 31 and West was cut (by the team that drafted him fairly highly) after not seeing much playing time. Trestman is good for FF RBs and that improved (from 2015) passing game should open things up for the running game.

Didn't want to burn my number 1 waiver spot position on Dixon. Was hoping to pick him up for free after waivers ran. Someone grabbed him. Already regretting my decision.

Nabbed him for free after waivers today. Goodbye Langford. Think this week will be too soon but maybe he gets introduced a little in  week 5 ?

Dropping Rawls for him. Can't wait for Rawls to get healthy and nobody will give anything in a trade.

Been holding in a keeper league and in redraft. I felt this guy had some of the best skill/opp going this year and targeted him in all my drafts. Shame he got injured because I feel he would already be breaking out right now otherwise.

As far as the balance between throwing and running the ball, is that where you want it to be? (Todd Karpovich) “What were the numbers?” (Karpovich answers: “I think there was more passing than running.”) “I don’t think we’re going to be 50-50. You look all around the league. Teams are scoring points. Some teams run the ball for 50 yards. Sometimes you run the ball for 150 yards. Sometimes you throw the ball for 150 or 400. That’s kind of how it works. You’re going to gain more yards throwing the football. You’re going to score more touchdowns and score more points. You have to be able to throw the ball in the National Football League; it’s just the way it is. You think you’re going to go out there and run it 50-60 percent of the time and score any points, it’s just not going to happen. But you have to be able to run the ball to not be one dimensional to be able to get those chunk yards throwing. We are not happy with our running game in that sense. I don’t know so much about the balance of it. I don’t think it has to be any particular thing. I don’t want to be running the ball 40 percent of the time or 35 percent of the time. We want to be running the ball over 40 percent of the time somewhere. I would love to run it 50 percent of the time in a game. That means you’re really doing well. You’re probably ahead, and you’ve probably handed it off 15 times in the second half, and you won by two or three touchdowns, because you had three or four big-play touchdowns in the first half throwing the ball. That’s probably what happened, if you have that kind of balance. That would be great. We want to be able to do that. But we have to run the ball effectively. We have to be able to run the ball for some chunk yards. We have to pop some runs. We have to keep people … We have to force people to defend the run, because that opens up your passing game. We’re not doing that as well as we want to do it right now.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Monday-Press-Conference/a523bbfa-6f65-43f1-ab26-2595b5112430

Honestly debating dropping Derrick Henry for Dixon. it's a 10-team league and I'm not sure what Henry's value will be moving forward if Murray keeps looking good

Get Dixon while you can. That backfield is a mess and he has a chance to post some strong numbers in an offense that has been very friendly towards rb's in the past.

Get Dixon while you can. That backfield is a mess and he has a chance to post some strong numbers in an offense that has been very friendly towards rb's in the past.
Eyeing him for awhile ... but would have to drop either Washington or even Stewart for him.  Stewart will be back in due time and I can see Washington being just as big as a contributor. 

Eyeing him for awhile ... but would have to drop either Washington or even Stewart for him.  Stewart will be back in due time and I can see Washington being just as big as a contributor. 
I dropped Washington for him.

Dixon has the most upside of any RB on the roster. 

Pros: Great vision and agility. Shifty. Excellent receiver. 

Cons: Donald Trump sized hands. Fumbles too much.

I think the ball security issues are a big concern. But he checks all the other boxes.  

Users who are viewing this thread