What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Do we really think Harbaugh is going to roll with Dixon on 60-70% of the carries over Forsett? It's hard to see Forsett (good pass blocking, coming off the field on third downs)
Very few RBs get 60% of the RB carries for a team so I would consider that his late season upside.  However I think it is very possible that he gets the majority of RB touches as soon as week 5.  However the RBs in Balt are only generating 28 opportunities/week so far (rushes+targets) so the majority of touches could equate to 10 opportunities with West/Forsett getting 9 each.  More likely he will be around a 15 touch guy going forward and if something really clicks then that could increase as the season goes forward.

The very good news is that I just read that he returned to practice (not sure in what capacity) today.

Really hope this guy pays off because I hitched my wagon to him over Smallwood (even riskier as I am a Matthews owner).

Very few RBs get 60% of the RB carries for a team so I would consider that his late season upside.  However I think it is very possible that he gets the majority of RB touches as soon as week 5.  However the RBs in Balt are only generating 28 opportunities/week so far (rushes+targets) so the majority of touches could equate to 10 opportunities with West/Forsett getting 9 each.  More likely he will be around a 15 touch guy going forward and if something really clicks then that could increase as the season goes forward.
I agree, however third down is what's important more to me, in a PPR league, I can see Forsett staying on the field and gobbling up all the dump offs.

Dixon has a much easier path than smallwood.  Also made the same choice
Honestly, he has no path. What I mean by that is that if he's good, he'll play. There is nothing in his way. Smallwood has Sproles and Mathews. Barner is about what West/Forsett are, but Mathews and Sproles appear to still be competent RBs who could hold off Smallwood if healthy.

Honestly, he has no path. What I mean by that is that if he's good, he'll play. There is nothing in his way. Smallwood has Sproles and Mathews. Barner is about what West/Forsett are, but Mathews and Sproles appear to still be competent RBs who could hold off Smallwood if healthy.
I agonized over picking up Dixon and dropping Deandre Washington. Same situation as Philly, Washington will need a Murray injury and even then, he'll have to deal with Richard. Dixon has a chance to grab the job as soon as he hits the field due to suckiness of the other 2, Forsett and West. Not sure if Buck Allen even is in the picture.

They released him and then brought him back. They obviously don't think highly enough about him to pay him what he was making.
They released him to sneak an extra guy on IR and have him eligible to return.  They signed Forsett to the same financial terms he was originally under with an extra 100k incentive included.

West passing Forsett?

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley said it "wouldn't be surprising" if Terrance West took over as the starter this week.

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley expects rookie RB Kenneth Dixon (knee, doubtful) to be "eased back into the mix."
Dixon will not play this week, and he will likely be limited even if he returns against Washington Week 5. Once healthy, Dixon should be in something of a timeshare with Terrance West and perhaps Justin Forsett. Dixon is a good bench stash in deeper formats, but he will likely spend most if not all of the season in a committee.

Source: ESPN 
Oct 1 - 9:23 AM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirms Ravens RB Kenneth Dixon (knee) is expected to make his NFL debut in Week 5.
The Ravens would not have released Justin Forsett were Dixon not ready to play. Dixon is a three-down talent, but will likely be eased into Baltimore's backfield. Terrance West should retain early-down duties for the time being. It shouldn't take long for Dixon to supplant Buck Allen in passing situations, but it might not be in Week 5 as he gets his feet wet.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Anyone taking a chance on him this week? Injuries and bye weeks are adding up. I might actually start him today, but not expecting much.

Anyone taking a chance on him this week? Injuries and bye weeks are adding up. I might actually start him today, but not expecting much.
Got him on my bench with eager anticipation. Like everyone is saying he will be eased back into the lineup. Perhaps 8-10 carries? What he does with limited play we shall see... West prolly a good play today.

Very tempted but sticking with Enunwa over Dixon in my flex spot today.  If there is bad news about Enunwa's knee before kickoff I would probably go with Ajayi over Dixon.

But part of me really, really wants to throw logic to the wind and roll Dixon out there today.

I said it elsewhere, but I think the weather is the tiebreaker for me and I play Smallwood over Dixson in my ppr flex.  Ginn is really my only other option but I hate waiting for late games.  :-)

I don't think you can just yet but I could be wrong. My RBs have been decimated in one league and I have to choose between Richard, Rainey and Dixon in 1ppr. In my mind Dixon is a distant third choice.

I don't think you can just yet but I could be wrong. My RBs have been decimated in one league and I have to choose between Richard, Rainey and Dixon in 1ppr. In my mind Dixon is a distant third choice.
in a similar boat in one of my leagues (10-team .5 PPR) and i'm actually thinking about dropping Dixon for Jacquizz this week. otherwise my starting RB's are: Gio & Dixon ... :wall:

I think it's too soon to start Dixon, especially after West's performance last week.  Plus the fact the Ravens are probably going to limit him in his 1st week back.  However, in no way do I think West will hold onto the #1 RB role.  I think last week was a fluke as West has disappointed everywhere he's been.  I think #1 is Dixon's job to lose after this week, provided he doesn't get injured again.

I get it if you have to start him this week if you have no one else, but I WOULD NOT drop him.  At this point, I would rather have a ZERO at that spot in my lineup rather than risk losing him on the WW.

That's really a coin flip there, but I go Rainey in ppr.

The Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec reports Kenneth Dixon is wearing a "significant knee brace."
Dixon is making his NFL debut after sitting out the first month of the season with a torn MCL. Dixon practiced in full all week, but the brace suggests he is not quite 100 percent. He could play limited snaps this week, but he should start pushing Terrance West for the lead-back job in the near future.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Clear that West is the guy. But does anyone think that Dixon can still have an impact over the latter half? Enough of an impact, that is, that you are willing to hold until then?

If I was in a better W-L position, maybe. But would rather have guys who can contribute now than wait on another lottery back. 

Clear that West is the guy. But does anyone think that Dixon can still have an impact over the latter half? Enough of an impact, that is, that you are willing to hold until then?

If I was in a better W-L position, maybe. But would rather have guys who can contribute now than wait on another lottery back. 
Dixon is a rookie who missed a lot of time and is still getting over an injury. When Dixon gets up to speed, I don't think it'll take much for the situation to switch. So I agree West is clearly the guy... for the time being. I will be shocked if that's the case in week 16. I'm definitely holding.

I keep thinking that talent has to win out and Dixon take over at some point.  I guess the flaw in my thinking could be that Dixon isn't more talented than West.  West's history of bouncing between 3 teams in three years, being cut, etc. leads me to believe it will happen though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep thinking that talent has to win out and Dixon take over at some point.  I guess the flaw in my thinking could be that Dixon isn't more talented than West.  West's history of bouncing between 3 teams in three years, being cut, etc. leads me to believe it will happen though.
What do you mean you keep thinking? The guy has only been healthy enough to suit up for 2 games so far. A little patience will be required here. Dixon didn't look fully healthy in his first action. It might be a few more weeks before he gets in game shape.

Dixon only got two carries, but I watched them both today on replay and he looks like he is cutting well and shifty unlike previous week. He looks good. Suprised if he doesn't get more in coming weeks. I did this evaluation to see if I might drop him and definitely going to keep him. He is electric.

Will be holding him too at the expense of picking up a more immediate impact guy (Knile Davis, Ty Montgomery, even Forsett) but my gut tells me this is going to be a case that at best, we'll see an RBBC with West (deservedly) getting the majority of opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I think Dixon can be electric -- I just see that coming to full fruition next year, not this one.

Happy to be wrong, but hard to continue to be patient with more immediate options that may have similar floors/ceilings.

Dixon only got two carries, but I watched them both today on replay and he looks like he is cutting well and shifty unlike previous week. He looks good. Suprised if he doesn't get more in coming weeks. I did this evaluation to see if I might drop him and definitely going to keep him. He is electric.

You watched both of his carries?  And did an "evaluation"?  And decided he is "electric"?  Wow.

Will be holding him too at the expense of picking up a more immediate impact guy (Knile Davis, Ty Montgomery, even Forsett) but my gut tells me this is going to be a case that at best, we'll see an RBBC with West (deservedly) getting the majority of opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I think Dixon can be electric -- I just see that coming to full fruition next year, not this one.

Happy to be wrong, but hard to continue to be patient with more immediate options that may have similar floors/ceilings.
Dropped my RB6 last night to plug n play Montgomery tomorrow. Hope to reverse that transaction in 7 days, but if he gets 8-10 touches that'll be an expensive churn.

You watched both of his carries?  And did an "evaluation"?  And decided he is "electric"?  Wow.
I take this evaluation to be in the context of his recovery from injury, not a comprehensive assessment of his ability. Two carries obviously won't let you chart his career trajectory but it might tell you what percentage of "healthy" he is and that might inform the "hold or drop" decisions that get more complicated every week...

Dropped him.

West will ride this week and then BALT has a bye. Think there is a good chance you can drop and pick back up again.

And this is for a team that is riddled with RB injuries and bye week issues and carrying 8 RBs.

Had to make room for K. Davis.

Constant revolving door in RB slots 7-8. I'll bet Dixon comes right back through the door in 3 weeks.

Dropped him.

West will ride this week and then BALT has a bye. Think there is a good chance you can drop and pick back up again.

And this is for a team that is riddled with RB injuries and bye week issues and carrying 8 RBs.

Had to make room for K. Davis.

Constant revolving door in RB slots 7-8. I'll bet Dixon comes right back through the door in 3 weeks.
This makes a lot of sense and is how I am handling Dixon. 

Yeah I'm thinking of dropping but not at all because this has gone differently to how I envisaged it. He was always going to be a longer term stash with a view to hopefully potentially going on a run in the last part of the season after he's had multiple weeks and games to get up to speed. Knew West wouldn't just disappear. Dropping more because the opportunity of Kniles Davis has presented itself this week and takes priority as an RB stash. 

mnmplayer said:
Was he wearing the knee brace?

Rodrigo Duterte said:
I took his post to mean that he watched both plays and felt he looked healthier than last week, but the electric comment was based on pre-injury analysis (college/preseason).

habsfan said:
I take this evaluation to be in the context of his recovery from injury, not a comprehensive assessment of his ability. Two carries obviously won't let you chart his career trajectory but it might tell you what percentage of "healthy" he is and that might inform the "hold or drop" decisions that get more complicated every week...
somebody gets it! :thumbup:  I have looked at his college tape and determined he is the 1st or 2nd best talent prior to the draft especially when considering his opps. My comparison was to last week where he looked slow and did not make good cuts. He looked like his old self on those runs with his cutting ability.

Rodrigo Duterte said:
Did you actually see his carries? What did you think? Did he look hampered or not his old self? What do you have to add?

Was he wearing the knee brace?

I took his post to mean that he watched both plays and felt he looked healthier than last week, but the electric comment was based on pre-injury analysis (college/preseason).
Another guy gets it! :thumbup:  

Also to put his carries in context, he ran for 7 yards (showing nice hesitation, patience, followed by a nice burst through the hole) on his first carry on 1st down, then ran again for 4 yards (had nothing, blocking was poor and LB met him in the backfield 3 yards behind LOS, then he made a beautiful cut back followed by a burst) for the first down on the next play. productive. The second run was a cutback from right to left so it didn;t really bring his brace into the play, (it's on his left knee) so cutting left is no problem for sure.

I just think they are easing him in right now. West actually took himself out for those two plays because he had just rattled off a nice run. The good news is whoever is the lead back will get the bulk of the carries. He could be gold near the back half of the season (or sit behind west). I think they up his carries and let him loose a little bit after the bye during week 9. Hopefully his brace is gone by then. I am holding in a keeper league for sure. West is the only thing standing in his way right now. West did look good, but I am not sure he can hold Dixon off all year, when the brace comes off. He is definitely already quicker than West that I could easily see with his two runs.

And to answer your question, he is still wearing the brace which is a sign he is not 100% yet.

ETA: added more context to his runs.

Taliaferro is practicing today. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9560/lorenzo-taliaferro

If the starting gig is West's to lose, doesn't this just add to the competition for the #2 spot (for now)?

/dropped Dixon for Gillislee overnight, no dog left in this fight.
I only have Dixon in my super deep league (20 on roster, 12 teams), but I also have Gillislee as well as a McCoy owner. Having McCoy, it's a no brainer, but if McCoy stays healthy then Gillislee is useless. Dixon could take over when fully healthy. If I didn't have McCoy, then I think I'd go with Dixon who I think has more potential, again unless you are predicting a McCoy injury.

McCoy left practice with a hamstring today. 
Dixon could take over but he could also be totally useless since West is playing pretty darn well.

I only have Dixon in my super deep league (20 on roster, 12 teams), but I also have Gillislee as well as a McCoy owner. I don't know who I would pick if I didn't have McCoy. Having McCoy, it's a no brainer, but if McCoy stays healthy then Gillislee is useless. Dixon could take over when fully healthy. If I didn't have McCoy, then I think I'd go with Dixon who I think has more potential, again unless you are predicting a McCoy injury.
Sounds like a Monty Python skit!  ;)

iirc from previous seasons, ww priorities get clearer as the season progresses, but it sounds like many of us have been adding/dropping/adding more than we wish with each new shred of information.

Users who are viewing this thread