What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I'm debating whether to start him at flex (ppr) over AR.  I just don't like that matchup against the Broncos.  Yep, right now it's Dixon.

FWIW I'm rolling with Ajayi & Sammy Watkins (RB2 & Flex) over Dion Lewis, Kenneth Dixon & Allen Robinson.

Ajayi because he is guaranteed too many touches to bench.  21 opportunities to get lucky and break one >>>> However many opportunities the others should get.

Watkins because, IMO, he has the biggest upside of the bunch.  Plus matchup, not many players to take away targets, in what should be a high scoring game.  The risk is obvious but that's the way I see it.

And we're back to West inexplicably getting more snaps than Dixon: 37-24

:kicksrock:
Not sure it's inexplicable as opposed to what's happened throughout -- give the hotter hand the edge.

We'll see a general split with potentially one back getting a little more love based on in-game success. At this point, with both backs working well together, do people really expect that a huge breakout game from Dixon (or West, for that matter) will cement the lion's share of carries going forward ROS?

I don't. No reason for Harbaugh to fix what isn't exactly broken. 

Not sure it's inexplicable as opposed to what's happened throughout -- give the hotter hand the edge.

We'll see a general split with potentially one back getting a little more love based on in-game success. At this point, with both backs working well together, do people really expect that a huge breakout game from Dixon (or West, for that matter) will cement the lion's share of carries going forward ROS?

I don't. No reason for Harbaugh to fix what isn't exactly broken. 
Except that's not what happened. West was in no way a hotter hand. He didn't crack 10 yards in a play until the 4th quarter. Dixon's first two rushes went for 10 yards or more.

The more logical explanation would be that they were saving wear and tear on their better player during a blowout. But it's not like Dixon is an early draft pick or highly paid veteran, so I don't think that's a strong case.

West is on his third team in three years and is averaging < 4.0 ypc for the third year. I don't understand how he's still getting the bulk of touches. I find it a little concerning for Dixon's long term outlook. Kind of afraid he'll get Tre Mason'd next year if they don't like him enough to give him a clear majority when his only other competition is a JAG. There's still time for him to prove himself, but he needs to string some nice games together in order to cement his role next year.

Except that's not what happened. West was in no way a hotter hand. He didn't crack 10 yards in a play until the 4th quarter. Dixon's first two rushes went for 10 yards or more.
Being hot is more than just who has longer runs. To be sure, both backs had solid days, but West scored twice -- once on a very nice play from the flat where he made defenders miss in open field, and a 9 yard burst to basically put the game away. Also remember a play where he basically threw Kiko Alonso to the ground on a stiff arm.

Dixon had some nice gains, especially two 17 yard scampers, but watching the game, West was having more impact physically, and on the scoreboard. I call that a hotter hand.

Being hot is more than just who has longer runs. To be sure, both backs had solid days, but West scored twice -- once on a very nice play from the flat where he made defenders miss in open field, and a 9 yard burst to basically put the game away. Also remember a play where he basically threw Kiko Alonso to the ground on a stiff arm.

Dixon had some nice gains, especially two 17 yard scampers, but watching the game, West was having more impact physically, and on the scoreboard. I call that a hotter hand.
Yeah, I concur and also agree I don't see Harbaugh changing much going forward with the two of them.  I played against West last week and surprised how West has fared in fantasy points this year.  Also, not that this has a huge influence, but likely some... West is a hometown boy having gone to Towson U.

Haha, wat?! C'mon, there was nothing very nice other than the play call... he made nobody miss on his first score (notice the tag line for the video): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000750387/Joe-Flacco-finds-wide-open-Terrance-West-for-3-yard-TD

The 9 yard "burst" was with 5:55 left and they were already up 31-6 before the touchdown. When you're up by 4 scores that late, the game has been put away and nobody is keeping track of hot hands at that point. I guess burst means jog to the pylon again a defense that's quit? Here's the play.

I know I probably sound argumentative or like a Dixon homer (I honestly don't need him to do anything this season, just thinking ahead), but your spin on those two plays is kind of bizarre. It was a nice fantasy day for West, but he did nothing special, especially in his two scoring plays. Anybody, even Forsett or Taliaferro, would've scored on those two plays.

Haha, wat?! C'mon, there was nothing very nice other than the play call... he made nobody miss on his first score (notice the tag line for the video): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000750387/Joe-Flacco-finds-wide-open-Terrance-West-for-3-yard-TD

The 9 yard "burst" was with 5:55 left and they were already up 31-6 before the touchdown. When you're up by 4 scores that late, the game has been put away and nobody is keeping track of hot hands at that point. I guess burst means jog to the pylon again a defense that's quit? Here's the play.

I know I probably sound argumentative or like a Dixon homer (I honestly don't need him to do anything this season, just thinking ahead), but your spin on those two plays is kind of bizarre. It was a nice fantasy day for West, but he did nothing special, especially in his two scoring plays. Anybody, even Forsett or Taliaferro, would've scored on those two plays.
Agree on that -- but it is West in there on the first RZ trip  --not Dixon.   Curious to see the RZ breakdown for the rest of the game between the two --  I"m in same boat as you --he's on my bench till something changes -

Thanks for keeping me honest on that first play, I was going by memory -- can't open the links due to Flash but will take your word on it. Maybe I was thinking of another play? Distinctly remember where he slammed on the brakes and then weaved/spun around a defender or two to make the play with elusiveness and power. Seeing that, I thought, "Well, West definitely earns his playing time with those moves."

FWIW, no spin intended -- I actually have Dixon on my squad and have been hoping for the same thing you are -- for him to steal the job outright, or at least most of the carries. Don't own West, and honestly don't prefer one over the other as I haven't been comfortable using Dixon as anything but a spot fill for earlier byes.

I see both backs being really effective in their roles, which is great for the BAL rush attack (even if it sucks for fantasy). And as such, no real reason for the team to change that dynamic.

And if you don't call scoring two TDs special, well, your fantasy bar is a lot higher than mine. They may not have been Barry Sanders runs, but it wasn't Dixon (or Forsett or Taliaferro) whose number was called in those situations.

Thanks for keeping me honest on that first play, I was going by memory -- can't open the links due to Flash but will take your word on it. Maybe I was thinking of another play? Distinctly remember where he slammed on the brakes and then weaved/spun around a defender or two to make the play with elusiveness and power. Seeing that, I thought, "Well, West definitely earns his playing time with those moves."

FWIW, no spin intended -- I actually have Dixon on my squad and have been hoping for the same thing you are -- for him to steal the job outright, or at least most of the carries. Don't own West, and honestly don't prefer one over the other as I haven't been comfortable using Dixon as anything but a spot fill for earlier byes.

I see both backs being really effective in their roles, which is great for the BAL rush attack (even if it sucks for fantasy). And as such, no real reason for the team to change that dynamic.

And if you don't call scoring two TDs special, well, your fantasy bar is a lot higher than mine. They may not have been Barry Sanders runs, but it wasn't Dixon (or Forsett or Taliaferro) whose number was called in those situations.
I'm in the same boat - Dixon is just deep depth for now. I couldn't care less about what he does the rest of the season from a 2016 perspective, but would really like to see him seize the job from a dynasty/2017 perspective. 

West is still < 4.0 ypc on the year, so I wouldn't call him effective. The team has been playing pretty well, so even a JAG is going to put up points if given the ball enough times, but I'll be very interested to see how the snaps are split in close games and the playoffs (if they don't choke). This week's game against New England on MNF should be a good watch.

And I agree, 2 TDs is a special fantasy day, but what I meant was that he showed nothing special in the way of play/talent, especially on those two scoring plays. Although I didn't see the play you are recalling. He caught two more passes, one for 5 yards and the other for 10, so I guess it was one of those. Ah, actually I found it in the FBG recap:  West stopped his feet in the backfield, ducked under a tackle, spun away from another defender and was dragged down after a 6 yard gain.

I've been holding Dixon and will continue to do so. I really need him to emerge because I have no faith in Booker as a #2.

I'm really hoping something breaks in his direction this week. BALT is on a roll and faces NE. Big game. Harbaugh is going to do what he needs to do here. If it remains 50/50 I think the dream is dead. 

Holding one more week. I have a bye. Need one of the Dixon and D. Lewis situations to break the right way or I'm toast (or need to get real lucky. Like Tim Hightower last year lucky).

JIslander said:
Yeah, I concur and also agree I don't see Harbaugh changing much going forward with the two of them.  I played against West last week and surprised how West has fared in fantasy points this year.  Also, not that this has a huge influence, but likely some... West is a hometown boy having gone to Towson U.
Oakland East...without the awesome.

Could be just the game script that's unfolded (Balt playing from behind), but Dixon is out touching West by a wide margin.

And looking good doing it.

Could be just the game script that's unfolded (Balt playing from behind), but Dixon is out touching West by a wide margin.

And looking good doing it.
For the fantasy playoffs "game script" is key.  It's anyone's guess what happens next week.  

how does his matchup against the Eagles look on paper? I'm thinking of starting him this week, as it's clear the Ravens are starting to give him more touches. 

Rob Kelly looked good against the Eagles this weekend, so pretty sure Dixon will too. 
Harbaugh had to see what he had in Dixon last night vs. West. There was one particular catch and run that was damn impressive. Caught the ball in the flat and instead of being pulled down for no gain battled for 5 extra yards despite the fact that the defender had extreme leverage on him. This guy is explosive.

I don't think I have a choice but to play him. At worst, he'll maintain a 50/50 split with West and the game script should have BALT controlling the game against a PHI team that's packing it in. I wouldn't expect 8 receptions in non-comeback mode but he's been consistently getting 4. Give me 12-15 carries and 4+ receptions with upside for more and I'm in.

It's a mortal lock that Dixon will be on EVERY expert sleeper list this week.

Dixon over Ware?? And yes I know where the AC forum is....  He looked great sans that drop in the flat. 
This is funny because you posted it in the Ware thread too. So you reinforce that you know where the AC forum is but it seems you need written set of directions, map,a sherpa, and possibly the Star of Bethlehem to find your way there.

On the topic of Dixon, the snap counts were huge last night. It wasn't close between the two of them even early in the game. The drop bothered me as did the offsides on 4th and 2 but I was very encouraged overall by his performance. He picked up some good blocks and looked like the 110% effort guy he was in college. He looks like the starter, I'm banking on him as an RB2

Who are you guys playing him over this week? I spent a fairly high pick on him but maybe only used him once to cover a bye or something. I have a couple of "pretty good" rbs I've been starting but not Leveon Bell studs or anything. 

Feels like this is the week to take a shot maybe. 

This is funny because you posted it in the Ware thread too. So you reinforce that you know where the AC forum is but it seems you need written set of directions, map,a sherpa, and possibly the Star of Bethlehem to find your way there.

On the topic of Dixon, the snap counts were huge last night. It wasn't close between the two of them even early in the game. The drop bothered me as did the offsides on 4th and 2 but I was very encouraged overall by his performance. He picked up some good blocks and looked like the 110% effort guy he was in college. He looks like the starter, I'm banking on him as an RB2
Out of curiosity Gabes-- what other player threads are you checking this week so I can ask WDIS questions in them??

Something to consider: game flow. The Ravens should pummel the reeling Eagkes at home. Does that mean that maybe west gets more touches? It seems Dixon is the better receiving back but may not be needed that much next week. I wonder of the split won't be more 50/50 and that may screw people considering Dixon over the likes of Ware and Ajayi (in my case).

I don't think it was just because of the game flow- Dixon was getting much more play early as well, when the game was still close. It was an odd game plan IMO, West had 4 receptions vs. only 2 carries, but it seems like there was a changing of the guard last night for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to consider: game flow. The Ravens should pummel the reeling Eagkes at home. Does that mean that maybe west gets more touches? It seems Dixon is the better receiving back but may not be needed that much next week. I wonder of the split won't be more 50/50 and that may screw people considering Dixon over the likes of Ware and Ajayi (in my case).
I think Dixon was drafted for the lead role and would have arrived at this place sooner if not for the injury at the beginning of the season. Even if it's a ground-game assault this week I suspect Dixon will get enough to warrant a start. 

That's what I was thinking when I wrote that but I looked and I can see someone putting him in the 20s.  When you get into the Mark Ingram, Lat Murray types, I think the upside of Dixon wins out but I can see someone preferring the established guy.

That's what I was thinking when I wrote that but I looked and I can see someone putting him in the 20s.  When you get into the Mark Ingram, Lat Murray types, I think the upside of Dixon wins out but I can see someone preferring the established guy.
I am definitely starting Dixon over Ingram. NO offense is a mess and on the road @AZ.

I am definitely starting Dixon over Ingram. NO offense is a mess and on the road @AZ.
We're talking dynasty ranking, not who you'd start this week.  Which would you rather have on your dynasty team right now - Ingram or Dixon?

... Dixon is great, but I have already been carrying the torch for this guy in this thread for some time so didn't want to dominate or continue to push this too much like a fanboy ... Also, West just sucked last night compared to Dixon (stats tonight / college tape / draft profile / & eye test all confirm this so it wont be too much longer now) ... so while its encouraging to see his touches going up, I'm not going to get too excited yet and still wouldn't start him yet, but down the line he could be huge considering his easy sch and the fact that he is clearly better than West in most of the important phases of the game. 
Looking at playoff sch, wk16 is circled on my calendar for a phenomenal type setup for a potential league championship winning game performance by Dixon. I won't need to start Dixon vs Phi D with my options (will be watching this game closely, however to determine future use), but will be hard to leave him on the bench week 16 vs Pit D on the road if he displays more flash vs PHI next week. They will need to lean on him as they did with NE to stay in the game at PIT.

He is clearly the most talented player on the offense for BAL, and while his breakout to stardom was delayed by a pre-season injury, the tools are all there for this guy to become great going forward, as the opportunity is now his. Last night he showed power, vision, speed and pass catching ability. Even Defensive end, 275 lb Chris Long could not bring this guy to the ground as Dixon pushed and pushed staying low, using his leverage and power to carry Long an extra 5 yards until they finally both went out of bounds, stopping the clock on a key first down late in the game where BAL needed to save time. I recommend everyone who is invested in Dixon watch that play. That tape will be an inspiration to the team this week for both offense and defense when they watch that type of determination on display from the rookie. That first down he fought for behind Yanda with 9:04 left in the game was big too. 5'9, 212 lbs (seen as high as 216 listed as well) taking on and winning the battle with leverage/power says a lot, not to mention the countless broken tackles, while falling forward more times than not. This power is coupled to one of the most shifty backs, actually the most shifty of the top5 prospects. Hw is the only guy that can consistently wow me with his open field moves of this class when watching college tape. That has been true all year, its just now he has the opp and just needs more experience at NFL speed to solidify it, so stay healthy, Mr. Dixon.

P.S. The West stop gap opp is now over. Talent has won out. Just stay healthy!

Lolz, you sound like John Gruden (describing just about every QB).
:cool:  Sorry, been carrying the torch for this guy a while, glad to see him breakout on my teams when I need him most as I lost Forte last week. You watch a guy for a while and you know what he can do, and a scrub like West is in the way for months ... guess its just a nice feeling of relief.

mnmplayer said:
:cool:  Sorry, been carrying the torch for this guy a while, glad to see him breakout on my teams when I need him most as I lost Forte last week. You watch a guy for a while and you know what he can do, and a scrub like West is in the way for months ... guess its just a nice feeling of relief.
He "broke out" because he scored his first TD of the year, on a play that just about any RB would have made? I like the guy too, but  :lmao: at the hyperbole.

Users who are viewing this thread