What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paul Perkins - RB - NYG (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Todd McShay says UCLA RB Paul Perkins "could pay major dividends on Day 3."

"He senses creases before they open, and has quick eyes to match his outstanding foot quickness, which he shows off often with a filthy jump-cut," McShay wrote. "Perkins makes a lot of safeties look bad in the open field because of his ability to avoid tacklers while going full speed." Rotoworld's draft team is high on Perkins for similar reasons. McShay adds that he's concerned about Perkins' durability due to his size and collegiate workload, which is a fair concern, but no team will draft Perkins as a feature back. He'd be great as a tandem back. Apr 5 - 1:26 PM

Source: ESPN.com

Pro Football Focus charted UCLA RB Paul Perkins as the NCAA’s most elusive running back.
"In a year of great college running backs, you might be surprised to know that Paul Perkins was the hardest one to tackle," PFF noted. "He led the country in PFF’s elusive rating at 114.7. He forced 85 missed tackles on 265 touches. Perkins lacks size and stature (5-11, 210 pounds), so he’ll need to impress scouts with his speed, quickness and pass-catching ability." Rotoworld likes what it has seen on Perkins' tape. We aren't surprised by Perkins' showing in the elusiveness metric. He's an ankle-breaker through and through. Feb 22 - 5:13 PM
Source: Pro Football Focus 

Pro Football Focus analyst Kevin Connaghan included UCLA RB Paul Perkins among his favorite Pac-12 players in this draft pool.

"Perkins graded positively in all [but] one game [in 2015]," Connaghan wrote, adding, "That transformation [from an up-and-down 2014] is borne out statistically." Among the stats that the PFF analyst cites, 3.6 yards averaged after contact from the 5-foot-11, 198-pounder, plus he forced 86 missed tackles. Those numbers blow away what he did two seasons ago. In those same categories as a redshirt sophomore, he averaged 2.9 yards after contact and forced just 41 missed tackles. Feb 8 - 5:47 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

UCLA redshirt junior RB Paul Perkins will impress scouts with his consistency and versatility, CBS Sports' Derek Harper notes.

"A patient, natural runner who was well-suited to the Bruins' spread attack, Perkins is a classic slasher who lacks ideal power to run through tackles," Harper wrote. The UCLA prospect announced on Tuesday that he was headed for the next level after a solid outing in 2015. Perkins was no slouch this season, rushing for 1,343 yards and 14 scores. Harper adds that Perkins "is projected as a third-round pick." Wed, Dec 30, 2015 02:07:00 PM

I think Perkins has more strength then he gets credit for. More than once in his highlights you see him run over people. It's not that savage force that Henry has but Henry is ranked very high because of that elite level power. Perkins also still has room to put on muscle in his lower body, so I could see him improving in this. Which will likely help his pass pro as well. 

As a side note, I saw an interview with Perkins after his pro day. Seemed like a good guy. Lots of "yes sir"s and smiles. Also, said that the Bills, Jets and Lions scouts all talked to him. As a Bills fan I would be happy to see this guy on the team but I think they are pretty solid at RB and would rather not see him get buried on a depth chart. 

In right role, Paul Perkins could be a fantasy sleeper

Sports' Pete Prisco called UCLA RB Paul Perkins "a perfect NFL back."
"I wouldn't take a running back in the first round -- even Ezekiel Elliott. Why? I can get a guy like Perkins in the second or third," Prisco wrote. "Perkins was a productive, elusive player in a good conference. He seemed to glide when he ran." While Prisco is casually tossing out the second or third round, ESPN's Todd McShay wrote in early April that he views him as a Day 3 prospect (and believes he "could pay major dividends"). Last season, Perkins earned Pro Football Focus' highest "elusive grade," for his ability to shed tackles with ease. He was the cause of 85 missed tackles on his 265 touches in 2015.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 26 - 11:23 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants selected UCLA RB Paul Perkins with the No. 149 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.
Perkins (5'10/208) spent two years as the Bruins' feature back before turning pro, parlaying 622 carries into 3,491 yards (5.61 YPC) and 29 touchdowns, adding 80 receptions. His Combine metrics were solid-if-unspectacular, running 4.54 with a 32-inch vertical and 10-foot-4 broad jump. A fundamentally-sound three-down back, Perkins combines darting quickness with exciting lateral moves and is an ultra-competitive, tough inside runner. A Devonta Freeman clone, Perkins is good enough to capitalize if given an extended NFL opportunity. New York is an excellent landing spot for Perkins to earn early-career chances in one of the league's most underwhelming running back corps.

Apr 30 - 2:26 PM

I'm not saying he IS Jamaal Charles but I think because so many people have latched on to the Charles comparison that they are naturally downgrading him because they see his physical measureables but obviously aren't willing to say he is as good as Charles.

What I see though is a guy that knows where to go and knows how to get there and I like him more and more every time I watch him.

i have 3 1's and no 2's this year, prolly cant spend a 1 on him where im picking, but might be able to move into an early 2 and grab him. Really like this guy

Per Biabreakable (will delete once/if he posts it);

So I have been noting quite a few people are talking about Paul Perkins and his potential to become a starter for the Giants.

I watched a few of his games a month or so ago and while I think Perkins has an excellent jump cut, and he can string multiple cuts together as well. I didn't see him offering much more than that. He isn't exceptionally fast and his power is virtually nonexistent.  I spent some more time watching him today and draftbreakdown has a few more games available for him than last time I checked, so some new stuff to watch.

As I watched him some more it dawned on me what player Perkins reminds me of and that is Mewelde Moore He has the same combination of sick jump cuts and ellusiveness, decent hands, limited speed and no power just like Moore.

I see Perkins as most likely a COP and not a feature RB. If he does become a starter I would expect him to be able to put up numbers similar to what Moore did, but I think he will wear down if used too much, also similar to Moore.

Reading up on his pro day he mentions hamstrings bothering him. 

I didn't run, I just did positional drills. I tweaked my hamstring and tweaked it again.  I definitely got a little stronger and put some weight on, I'm 208 now. I want to be maybe 210.
The playing weight for his height is a bit spindly. I would think he could add some muscle there which possibly could help him run with a bit more power, but he already isn't fast, so he may lose some of that speed if he does try to get bigger in the NFL.

Here are some scouting reports on him for other points of view.

Paul Perkins Scouting Report, RB, UCLA, 2016 NFL Draft

2016 NFL Draft: Potential Panther? Paul Perkins

Yeah sorry I didn't see this thread in the index when I was looking for it or would have just replied here.

I am a bit surprised by the Jamal Charles comparisons as I don't see Perkins having that kind of speed.

Yeah sorry I didn't see this thread in the index when I was looking for it or would have just replied here.

I am a bit surprised by the Jamal Charles comparisons as I don't see Perkins having that kind of speed.
Me neither. What I do see is a good football player and I'm sad I missed on Perkins in my drafts. NYG running backs are so bad that I think Perkins have a real chance of carving a role this year and if he performs well enough, Giants may be interested of giving him ball more than people think. 

Now that I've brought your post to it's proper home, I guess I better suit up for battle. Perkins is one of my two favorites in this draft class. Doctson being the other. By no means am I saying I like him more than Zeke or even Henry but I do think he either is the 3rd best RB or should at least be in the conversation. 

I know it's never a good idea to go off of highlights but in this case I think it's useful as there's clips from games that show us what we might not have seen in the DB games. I also was worried about his power (and still am a bit) but I think where he lacks in power he makes up for in a solid base. He doesn't delivery shots that make defenders look like they got shot by a cannon ball, AP style, but he doesn't get knocked around and can be like a little tank that pushes back tacklers that get too high or aren't squared up. Also, I think some of us old dogs might need to change our view on what 3 down backs are. I say "us" because I'm included in this. 

Consider this, Freeman is 5'8" 208 and Perkins is 5'10" 208. A bit lower in BMI but close and we both agree he has room to add. His frame doesn't look maxed out. And at the end of the day 208 is still 208. However, Perkins bested Freeman in the 40, vert and broad. All the events that they both did. He didn't crush Freeman's scores, in fact they are extremely close, but if you look at what Freeman did and the QB/WR situations of the Giants and Falcons I think it's surprisingly similar. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you that he has excellent balance. That is a big part of how he is able to make those cuts and still maintain control.

I don't put much stock into height a weight measurables. That is something that could go many ways. Just reading his statement it struck me as odd him saying he is up to 208 ponds, as a 5'11" guy should be able to carry 220 I would think, but sounds like his college playing weight was more like 200. So that is similar to Jamal Charles. If he were a shorter RB the weight isn't something I would have considered this much. I think we agree he has room to grow and possibly get a bit more junk in his trunk to push a pile a bit better. Maybe that is why he mentions putting on weight, as something teams may have told them they want him to do? Maybe he can do that and not lose any speed. Maybe he loses some speed from doing it. Difficult to say.

Small, no long speed and no power is not a good combo in the NFL. Scat back. If he becomes anything more he has overcome the odds.

Freeman is in a system that has allowed far inferior talent best 1000/6 and Charles was a special talent the NFL passed on because of his frail frame. I like the Mewelde Moore comparison best in this thread.

What you just said about Perkins is what people said about Charles at the time.  No one was calling Charles a "special talent" back then.

I recall Rotoworld, in particular, for about 6 or 7 straight updates, they kept copy and pasting the same line about him.  Saying how he was too thin, built like a DB.  Acknowledged his speed and pass catching but always, always cautioned about how he just wasn't an every down NFL RB. 

I think we all get caught up in seeing that if a guy isn't the traditional mold, it doesn't fit but in a case like this, like I said yesterday, I think we should pay attention to how this is NOT Tom Coughlin. This is McAdoo and we have seen how his offenses cater to screens and short passes and pass catching backs much easier.

Since we are talking Jamaal Charles a bit, I think this is worth mentioning.  Charles wasn't an overnight success. He did have to grow into his role and he had a LOT of more traditional types of RBs to contend with in LJ, Battle, Peyton, Thomas Jones.  Remember how all those guys were there or brought in and people kept saying that "that guy" was what the Chiefs would use and Charles was just the interesting handcuff?  But when you look back at in now, doesn't it feel like Charles has been on top forever?  Point is, I don't expect instant success but I think Perkins is the type that can establish and show a level of uniqueness that, once established, makes him much more harder to replace because talented guys like Charles and Antonio and Gronk, etc, once they show what they are, teams develop around them and it actually makes their job a bit safer.  When we talk about replacing Charles today, we immediately think of who can slash and have speed and catch. We don't necessarily think "where can I get a 240 pound bowling ball".

Not to make it this simple but 4.54 looking like 4.54 on film is a lot different then 4.36 looking like 4.36 on film. The NFL whiffed on Charles due to his size but he always had elite speed. Perkins overcoming his speed at his size with his skill set would be a shock to me. 

Not to make it this simple but 4.54 looking like 4.54 on film is a lot different then 4.36 looking like 4.36 on film. The NFL whiffed on Charles due to his size but he always had elite speed. Perkins overcoming his speed at his size with his skill set would be a shock to me. 
I agree with this, but there's a large gap between a guy who, when healthy, has put up elite statistics (career 5.5 ypc) and a guy who puts up RB2 numbers.

I think Charles is a terrible example, but Forsett is a better match. The NYG backfield is a muddy mess, so I'm not confident a 5th round rookie can carve out enough of a workload to reach RB2 status, but stranger things have happened. Jennings is 31 and had a rough injury history, so there's a chance Perkins gets some reps, but he'll need to be heavily involved in the passing game to achieve RB2 status and I don't think Vereen gives that up this year so I'll probably let others use a roster spot on him rather than banking on an injury.

There was a 5'9" 210 lb running back that ran a 4.5 40 drafted in 1990 who went on to a Hall of Fame career, adding a few Super Bowl titles along the way. 

Is Perkins the same guy? Will he be the same guy? Not saying either of those things. 

But there are some similarities. 

Quotes from the scout:

"He was unique because he wasn't real tall," Yaworsky finally said after some coaxing. "I thought he was in Jimmy Brown's class from the start. He just had this peripheral vision and he seemed to know exactly where his linemen were going to be without ever having to take a peek."

Yaworsky thought Smith was the perfect type of back because most of his weight was in the lower body and he did a superb job of keeping his pad level low. Smith had an uncanny knack for making his body go limp at the moment of impact so that he never took a lot of clean shots. Old-school scouts such as Yaworsky knew that 40-yard dash times, while instructive, shouldn't define players.

Smith never ran better than a 4.5 40-yard dash, but it was his ability to change direction on a dime without losing speed that made him so special. Football isn't played on a straight line and that's why it's not a given that a 4.3 40-yard dash will translate to great rushing numbers.

Watched all his games on DB. Biggest take away... I hate teams that only run shotgun. They run the "option" but the options are hand off or pass. I think I saw the QB keep it once. This combined with the fact that the freshman QB isn't strong against the blitz yet and a weak OL meant that Perkins saw a lot of defenders either unblocked or pile of linemen in the backfield. This isn't an excuse for Perkins but I do think it's why his game devolved over the season. He has to use so many moves and seems like he is waiting to long at times. It borders on indecisive, not unlike CJ Prosise. 

I went back and watched a Devonta Freeman game (Clemson) just to see how their styles compared. At first glance I wanted to say that Freeman has more burst but wasn't nearly as polished as Perkins. The latter I think is still true but I think the difference between Freeman running out of a single back set with the QB under center really lends itself to the RB getting downhill. Freeman ran like an athlete, not thinking too much. Which isn't a bad thing but at times it was. 

Perkins I have questions about his burst and leg power. His burst has to do with his running and his leg power is about his pass pro. Mentally, he sets up and uses blockers well, he finds holes (both in the secondary and through the line), he also does a decent job of locating the blitzes in pass pro. My only concern with the he sees the game is that he might be seeing it slow but that could be for the reasons mentioned above. I think box jumps and confidence could be all that he is missing. 

I agree with this, but there's a large gap between a guy who, when healthy, has put up elite statistics (career 5.5 ypc) and a guy who puts up RB2 numbers.

I think Charles is a terrible example, but Forsett is a better match. The NYG backfield is a muddy mess, so I'm not confident a 5th round rookie can carve out enough of a workload to reach RB2 status, but stranger things have happened. Jennings is 31 and had a rough injury history, so there's a chance Perkins gets some reps, but he'll need to be heavily involved in the passing game to achieve RB2 status and I don't think Vereen gives that up this year so I'll probably let others use a roster spot on him rather than banking on an injury.
You may only think it is a terrible comparison because you have never seen Perkins play and we don't know what he can do.  It may be true, it may be a bad example, but that's like saying way back when that comparing lightning fast Joey Galloway was the like saying lightning fast Rand Moss.  So much of it really comes down to opportunity and use and that is to be seen.  We don't know if Perkins is  3.2ypc guy or a 4.6ypc guy.

I don't expect him to be 5.0+ like Charles but I'm not going to say because one thing isn't likely to be true that nothing can be true as a satisfiable result.  We didn't know how Jamaal Charles was going to be valuable to the NFL and to us in FF until he was.  In some ways (and to get away from such an obvious high-bar comparison), this is like Dion Lewis last year.  So many people said "little guy", they acknowledge his strengths but pound his weaknesses, etc, and didn't think much of it.  But what SO MANY people missed last year was the opportunity. So many people couldn't wrap their head around the idea that, in this particular system, this guy was going to have some major opportunity and that is exactly what he did. Had he not gotten hurt, he realistically could have been the #1 Rb in ff last year and this is from a guy that at least 50% of ff people completely wrote him off.

That is what I see in Perkins. I said yesterday that a month ago, I would not have thought of him as being all that impactful but he landed on a team with serious opportunity.  People keep saying "the Giants backfield is cluttered and its a mess". It is only a mess because there is a lot of trash lying around.  Get rid of the trash and it becomes clear. McAdoo has an offense that loves short passes and misdirection stretch and screens to the RB and the Giants passed on three "traditional" type big pound the rock rbs and took Perkins instead.  Just my opinion, but I think they clearly see the opportunity here.  Again, I'm not saying we are sitting here in week 3 talking about the gem of the year but I think come late November, we are absolutely talking about how this guy is going to help ff teams down the stretch. 

I hate to make the comparison to the great players because it automatically programs responses from people to shoot it down but, to me, this is the exact same stance I had on David Johnson last year.  People saw that skill set he had but he was well documented for not being a "pile mover".  They saw Ellington in the way. Chris Johnson came in.  All that. And I said in his thread when he was hurt, "you wait. This guy is going to come on" and I said the night he made his pre-season debut something to the effect of "enjoy people. You're going to see the beginning of something here."  To me it is simple: If you can remove yourself from the clutter and saturation of information and misinformation and paralysis analysis where everyone overthinks every speckle of information during this time of year and you simply judge them on what they have done in college and you marry that up with their opportunity and situation where thye land, I think you can get a great indicator of what it is going to be like (assuming health).     

I like Perkins enough that I'll be targeting him in my rookie drafts. That being said, I'm reading these comparisons with Emmitt Smith who was a 1st round pick, and Jamaal Charles, a 3rd round pick with elite speed. These comparisons are helping nobody. Let's just see how Perkins does this season and go from there. Many of us like his potential but he's still a 5th round pick which means he's a long shot. 

There was a 5'9" 210 lb running back that ran a 4.5 40 drafted in 1990 who went on to a Hall of Fame career, adding a few Super Bowl titles along the way. 

Is Perkins the same guy? Will he be the same guy? Not saying either of those things. 

Quotes from the scout:

"He was unique because he wasn't real tall," Yaworsky finally said after some coaxing. "I thought he was in Jimmy Brown's class from the start. He just had this peripheral vision and he seemed to know exactly where his linemen were going to be without ever having to take a peek."

Yaworsky thought Smith was the perfect type of back because most of his weight was in the lower body and he did a superb job of keeping his pad level low. Smith had an uncanny knack for making his body go limp at the moment of impact so that he never took a lot of clean shots. Old-school scouts such as Yaworsky knew that 40-yard dash times, while instructive, shouldn't define players.

Smith never ran better than a 4.5 40-yard dash, but it was his ability to change direction on a dime without losing speed that made him so special. Football isn't played on a straight line and that's why it's not a given that a 4.3 40-yard dash will translate to great rushing numbers.
I've used that quote to defend undersized / slower back before, and I think it does bear reminder that "elite" speed isn't a requirement for NFL success. However, I have to say that I just don't see anything special in Perkins. I think he's at best average in vision, power, and balance off of a hit. That doesn't mean he won't ever get a chance to be the starter in NY, but I'm not targeting him anywhere. Frankly, I don't see him as a better RB than Orleans Darkwa in that backfield. 

Quotes from the scout:

Smith wouldn't have been a HOFer playing for the Colts in the 90s.  The Cowboys OL made him look better than he really was.

Using Emmitt Smith, the outlier of outliers as an example for anyone doesn't make much sense. The last time I recall someone comparing a player to Emmitt Smith was Dave Thomas talking about Bishop Sankey.

I've used that quote to defend undersized / slower back before, and I think it does bear reminder that "elite" speed isn't a requirement for NFL success. However, I have to say that I just don't see anything special in Perkins. I think he's at best average in vision, power, and balance off of a hit. That doesn't mean he won't ever get a chance to be the starter in NY, but I'm not targeting him anywhere. Frankly, I don't see him as a better RB than Orleans Darkwa in that backfield. 
Just watched Darkwa after your post. He runs the way I want all running backs to except he takes it to the extreme. He has good burst and runs north south. However, he runs in a straight line. Literally, a straight line. If you take a ruler and put it over his waist on the screen, you'll see him the whole time. I'm not even talking about at/through the line either. He will be in space and it looks like there's holes even if he just turns a few degrees. But nope. Straight forward. I saw him cut back once (Week 14) and that's it. Until Darkwa can improve his vision/field sense he's not a lead back. 

After watching what Darkwa did only running in straight lines, I'm excited for Perkins. I think the Giants coaches will beat the unnessary wiggles/waiting out him. Perkins has flashed that he can be a burst runner up the middle add that in with his ability to keep his eyes downfield and I think he can rip off some nice chunk plays in this offense. 

You may only think it is a terrible comparison because you have never seen Perkins play and we don't know what he can do.  It may be true, it may be a bad example, but that's like saying way back when that comparing lightning fast Joey Galloway was the like saying lightning fast Rand Moss.  So much of it really comes down to opportunity and use and that is to be seen.  We don't know if Perkins is  3.2ypc guy or a 4.6ypc guy.

I don't expect him to be 5.0+ like Charles but I'm not going to say because one thing isn't likely to be true that nothing can be true as a satisfiable result.  We didn't know how Jamaal Charles was going to be valuable to the NFL and to us in FF until he was.  In some ways (and to get away from such an obvious high-bar comparison), this is like Dion Lewis last year.  So many people said "little guy", they acknowledge his strengths but pound his weaknesses, etc, and didn't think much of it.  But what SO MANY people missed last year was the opportunity. So many people couldn't wrap their head around the idea that, in this particular system, this guy was going to have some major opportunity and that is exactly what he did. Had he not gotten hurt, he realistically could have been the #1 Rb in ff last year and this is from a guy that at least 50% of ff people completely wrote him off.

That is what I see in Perkins. I said yesterday that a month ago, I would not have thought of him as being all that impactful but he landed on a team with serious opportunity.  People keep saying "the Giants backfield is cluttered and its a mess". It is only a mess because there is a lot of trash lying around.  Get rid of the trash and it becomes clear. McAdoo has an offense that loves short passes and misdirection stretch and screens to the RB and the Giants passed on three "traditional" type big pound the rock rbs and took Perkins instead.  Just my opinion, but I think they clearly see the opportunity here.  Again, I'm not saying we are sitting here in week 3 talking about the gem of the year but I think come late November, we are absolutely talking about how this guy is going to help ff teams down the stretch. 

I hate to make the comparison to the great players because it automatically programs responses from people to shoot it down but, to me, this is the exact same stance I had on David Johnson last year.  People saw that skill set he had but he was well documented for not being a "pile mover".  They saw Ellington in the way. Chris Johnson came in.  All that. And I said in his thread when he was hurt, "you wait. This guy is going to come on" and I said the night he made his pre-season debut something to the effect of "enjoy people. You're going to see the beginning of something here."  To me it is simple: If you can remove yourself from the clutter and saturation of information and misinformation and paralysis analysis where everyone overthinks every speckle of information during this time of year and you simply judge them on what they have done in college and you marry that up with their opportunity and situation where thye land, I think you can get a great indicator of what it is going to be like (assuming health).     
There's no shame in being like Justin Forsett. He was small and had a slow 40, but was still very productive at age 29. I just don't like comparing a guy with 4.54 speed to a track star like Charles.

The big argument against Perkins is that he's average

The big argument for Perkins is that the rest of the Giants rbs are below average

The Giants seem pretty excited about him.  And lots of guys who were supposedly average have gone on to be very good for a long time.   The first step is actually getting the workload,  and Perkins has a clear path to that. 

Don't they have a guy that does what Perkins does in Vereen?

Predictions on Perkins seem all over the place from he's JAG, a good change of pace back to Vereen, to Charles, Lynch or McCoy.

My guess is he's a back up for Vereen. Next year with several really good RBs expected in the draft the Giants will grab a starter in 2017.

FWIW I think Mewelde Moore was a very good RB and Perkins may prove to be more durable. Moore put up some pretty solid numbers starting for the Vikings and Steelers, he just wasn't able stay healthy long with the feature RB workload.

There's no shame in being like Justin Forsett. He was small and had a slow 40, but was still very productive at age 29. I just don't like comparing a guy with 4.54 speed to a track star like Charles.
Valid point.  I get that.  That's why I said a few times that I thought comparing to Charles was an automatic "turn off and tune out" type of trap.  But at the end of the day, that is why they are called Comparisons.  It's not fun to compare a guy to a non-impact player because it neither makes your point nor elicits a thought and response.

And sometimes, it means nothing. I'm sure somewhere out there, just a couple of years ago, someone compared Dri Archer TO Jamaal Charles and a lot more people probably bought that than they would Perkins (because they can see it) but it meant nothing either.

For anybody using a high pick on Perkins- Are you guys grabbing Marshaun Coprich at the end of your drafts? He seems pretty interesting and it's not like the Giants made a huge investment with Perkins

And sometimes, it means nothing. I'm sure somewhere out there, just a couple of years ago, someone compared Dri Archer TO Jamaal Charles and a lot more people probably bought that [more] than they would Perkins (because they can see it) but it meant nothing either.
Yes, Dri is way more of an apt comparison to Charles, IMO.  That one is a head scratcher to me.

Valid point.  I get that.  That's why I said a few times that I thought comparing to Charles was an automatic "turn off and tune out" type of trap.  But at the end of the day, that is why they are called Comparisons.  It's not fun to compare a guy to a non-impact player because it neither makes your point nor elicits a thought and response.

And sometimes, it means nothing. I'm sure somewhere out there, just a couple of years ago, someone compared Dri Archer TO Jamaal Charles and a lot more people probably bought that than they would Perkins (because they can see it) but it meant nothing either.
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right... are you saying Forsett is a non-impact player? He was a top 10 back in all formats in 2014. The point I was trying to make is that it is best to avoid the "turn off and tune out" type of overzealous comparisons, because that neither makes your point nor elicits a thought or response.

To me, drawing a realistic comparison to a smaller, less athletic player like Forsett is what draws my attention to Perkins. Nobody believes they are drafting an elite player in this guy, but if you can snag a guy with RB2 potential this year, that's pretty exciting. The NYG backfield is a muddy mess, but it is plausible that Perkins emerges at some point putting up decent ppg stats.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right... are you saying Forsett is a non-impact player? He was a top 10 back in all formats in 2014. The point I was trying to make is that it is best to avoid the "turn off and tune out" type of overzealous comparisons, because that neither makes your point nor elicits a thought or response.

To me, drawing a realistic comparison to a smaller, less athletic player like Forsett is what draws my attention to Perkins. Nobody believes they are drafting an elite player in this guy, but if you can snag a guy with RB2 potential this year, that's pretty exciting. The NYG backfield is a muddy mess, but it is plausible that Perkins emerges at some point putting up decent ppg stats.
That is why I posted in this thread because I believe Perkins is going to be very good in ppr ff.  Not day one but I think we will have a sense of it by the closing of the season and moving forward. 

It would be a fruitless exercise to say he's going to be a top 10, etc. You just never know in the NFL but I think he's going to be pretty danged valuable in ff. I understand I am in the minority and I'm not trying to convert anyone and I don't want anyone converting me on that. Just sharing my thoughts.  Will be interesting to see if this thread has any life in about 6 months.

Going mid second in most drafts, isn't he. His upside is as good or better than most 2nds this year, IMO. Why not take the chance?

Going mid second in most drafts, isn't he. His upside is as good or better than most 2nds this year, IMO. Why not take the chance?
Yeah, for that price, it's just crazy not to.  It used to be, years ago, that one of the first things that people would talk about (other than what pick he was and his "40" time) was

A)what's the situation he landed in?

B)Is he one dimensional?

And it used to be that people would entirely manufacture ways to justify a player into a position if they felt the incumbent was bad or , heaven forbid, old.  And if the guy could catch...WOOO! 

And here we are in 2016 and this player is being practically spoon fed with An old Jennings who can't stay healthy, a pathetic A. Williams, a HC that LOVES screens and short passing game to be placed on a team whose division looks like pinball scores each week and you're adding to that an absolute ankle-breaking, pass-catching RB with proven production on a big time college team...and people think he's "meh".  Unbelievable.

That is why I posted in this thread because I believe Perkins is going to be very good in ppr ff.  Not day one but I think we will have a sense of it by the closing of the season and moving forward. 

It would be a fruitless exercise to say he's going to be a top 10, etc. You just never know in the NFL but I think he's going to be pretty danged valuable in ff. I understand I am in the minority and I'm not trying to convert anyone and I don't want anyone converting me on that. Just sharing my thoughts.  Will be interesting to see if this thread has any life in about 6 months.
Hell, I come into these threads looking for someone to convert me! I don't have time to dig up material on every player. I'm hoping someone has done some homework in each of these threads and can sell me on why someone is worth reaching for or worth avoiding.

Anyway, Vereen is still in his prime and coming off a very nice season given his role in the offense. It'll be hard for Perkins to be valuable in PPR this year with Vereen around. His best chance (in all formats) is to snag the Jennings role, but unless he breaks down at age 31 (very possible), he actually looked good enough at age 30 last year to hold off a late round rookie.

He has gone at the end of 1st/early 2nd in all my drafts, never lower then 2.02. Maybe it's worth the opportunity, I don't think so. In fact, I'd rather take a risk on a guy like Keith Marshall with all the athletic ability, great tape and a terrible injury history over subpar athlete, poor mans Shane Vereen on a team that has Shane Vereen.

I can probably agree that Marshall is a better athlete/player than Perkins. And if they switched teams I'd rather have Marshall.

But I prefer Perkins in NY over Marshall in Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread