What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MFL (1 Viewer)

WheelsUp

Footballguy
has anyone got back online yet? we are way past the day limit and while its thursday, its getting time to get off work so it is a day wasted for me. did they not just do an upgrade, why the need for another? while i am more productive at work that does not mean we need this delay to continue. i am wondering if my boss reached out to mfl.

The MyFantasyLeague.com web site is in the process of a major database upgrade. As part of this process, your fantasy football leagues will not be accessible starting at 6am ET on Monday morning, April 18th. This upgrade will require about 2-3 days to complete, so we plan to have everything back up and running sometime on Thursday, April 21st. Thanks in advance for your patience during this scheduled downtime, and we apologize for any inconvenience to your league.

IIRC, they did an upgrade last year around this same time. Kind of annoying only a week to go before the NFL draft. Trading had finally started heating up and coming back in my leagues from the offseason doldrums. Not sure why they don't do updates earlier in the month or even late March. Combine and FA are basically done at that point, and still a lot of time before the draft...

If you reach out to them on Twitter, they're being kind of dicky about it, and offering people refunds if they are unhappy with the service.

I swear, the minute there is a viable competitor with the ability to import leagues, I'm gone.

While we would love "sometime Thursday" to be first thing in the morning, we just have to wait. My league was about 2/3 done with the startup draft. Kind of a bummer, but it is what it is. 

MyFantasyLeague.com ‏@MyFantasyLeague 5m5 minutes ago
Update: Work continues as the MFL staff is testing the backend upgrades made. Will update with a timeframe when it becomes available.

The MyFantasyLeague.com web site is in the process of a major database upgrade. This database upgrade is requiring more time than we anticipated, so we will need another day to complete the process. We sincerely apologize for the delays. We will continue working on it around the clock and the site should be back online sometime on Friday, April 22.

Tomorrow's message:

"The fillintheblank.com web site is was in the process of a major database upgrade. It was taking much longer than anticipated, but to tell you the truth....well, it looks like we have just totally #### the bed on this one. The entire databases are gone....leagues, teams, rosters.....the whole freakin' mess. We ask you for your patience and understanding whilst you totally rebuild your leagues from scratch. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

tangfoot said:
If you reach out to them on Twitter, they're being kind of dicky about it, and offering people refunds if they are unhappy with the service.

I swear, the minute there is a viable competitor with the ability to import leagues, I'm gone.
This

It'd be nice if we could get a better look. The AOL 1990's look is in need of an update! Also, this iffy timeline of when they'll be back up and running is amateurish. Get your S&#T together MFL

Last edited by a moderator:
tangfoot said:

MFL is almost never down all year long they are making some adjustments in April and some are getting up in arms about it and what to move to another site.

Pretty crazy how fast some people turn on what has been an excellent site.  My suggestion would be to plan on this 3-4 day stoppage on MFL in mid to late April every year.

MFL is one hell of a site and pretty cheap no complaints here.

tangfoot said:

#### these guys and their 1998 lookin' and actin' website horse ####.  

How the mother #### can these guys still be in the lead - it looks and acts clunky, is hard to manage, and they DO NOT give 2 ####s about their customers.  

I hate that our dynasty league is on MFL

the most user-unfriendly site Ive ever used

I know a guy who knows a guy who owns a dog owned by a girl who dates a guy who knew a guy who works for MFL so please direct your questions and concerns here!

I actually like MFL a lot. I belong to about 15 leagues yearly and commish 3 more. The features and tools available for the commissioner

are 2nd to none and the individual owner can customize quite a bit. As for my previous comment, I was just trying to be funny. ...and I was :^ )

I just wish they would get a java draft room for their live auction leagues.....it really sucks having to use cbs to draft on and then transfer the rosters over to MFL...

I'm really surprised no one has stepped in with a better alternative.  MFL always wins out because of its customization ability, but the look and user interface are wretched.  The price isn't that great either.  How another company hasn't developed a similarly customizable yet more intuitive and better looking site is beyond me.  If I knew anything about this arena, I'd do it myself.   

I'm really surprised no one has stepped in with a better alternative.  MFL always wins out because of its customization ability, but the look and user interface are wretched.  The price isn't that great either.  How another company hasn't developed a similarly customizable yet more intuitive and better looking site is beyond me.  If I knew anything about this arena, I'd do it myself.   
Didn't someone try to come up with a better alternative? Mike Zangrilli LOL?

Agree on MFL's horrid user interface and overall general cumbersomeness of the site. On the other hand, I haven't really found a comparable free site with regards to customizability and league transfer capabilities. The small (compared to CBS) yearly use fee doesn't bother me especially when I tack on the early bird and FBG discounts. It amounts to less than $5.00 an owner for a 12-team league.

eta: I believe the downtime earlier was to complete a massive server upgrade. I have hopes (though very slight) that this downtime might result in upgrades/improvements to the many things we have all been clamoring about for years.

smoke monster said:
Every time I email MFL with an issue I get a quick reply that solves my problem...what is there to give them a hard time about...they gave a heads up it would be down for a few days. No biggie. My one and only gripe about them would be the price. 

I'm with this guy. MFL has had wonderful customer service since they began. I think there's always going to be some whiners no matter what. 

tangfoot said:

At first I thought that sucks that their response is "you can leave", but it is pretty solid that they are offering a refund, a lot of companies wouldn't give up money. In fact they try to do anything but that. While the timing sucks and it's taking longer than expected I think it has given them time to work out some bugs with the 2016 site as well as upgrade their servers or whatever, or at least thats the hope. You have to upgrade in any computer industry whether it's software or hardware or both, I think we should give them a little credit.

I think we should give them a little credit.
Give them credit for taking 4+ days for their 2-day upgrade that still isn't complete?  No thanks. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that they haven't lost all the leagues, but I give it about 5:1 that they are adding significant new features.

a question for the computer savants just out of curiosity is being down from monday to friday on a server upgrade a normal amount of time?

a question for the computer savants just out of curiosity is being down from monday to friday on a server upgrade a normal amount of time?
This isn't a server upgrade.....that occurred a few weeks back.....they state this is a database upgrade.....appears different to me.

1) Perform backup of existing databases

2) Copy backups to test environment

3) Perform upgrade on backup copies, keep track of how long this takes

4) Schedule required downtime to perform upgrade on production databases

To me, this reeks of being completely untested, and the upgrade probably failed at least once.

new message they are putting out.

The MyFantasyLeague.com web site is in the process of a major database upgrade. This database upgrade is requiring more time than we anticipated, so we will need another day to complete the process. We sincerely apologize for the delays. We will continue working on it around the clock and the site should be back online sometime on Friday, April 22.

To me, this reeks of being completely untested, and the upgrade probably failed at least once.
20 year IT professional checking in, agree with Tangfoot's assessment.

I'd also add the step of creating a rollback strategy/plan of action in case things don't go as expected, i.e. significant problems are seen in production that did not reveal themselves in the test environment.

My gut feel is that MFL is a nasty pile of PHP or Perl application code with MySQL database backend.  Anybody have any insight in this?

Agreed. March was pretty dead in all my leagues and activity was just starting to ramp up again. This killed all pre-draft momentum.
Totally agreed. This is ridiculous. All the Twitter Snark I've heard about offering refunds is ridiculous. Not really a traditional business model here. If you'd like we'll refund your money? You mean the money that's buried in the Annual entry fee? So your telling me you'll give me my prorata $6 (how exactly would that work?) if I want to bail on my dyno league? Lame.

Relax people the NFL season is over 4 months away.  It's spring and the weather is just getting nice outside.  Go outside and enjoy it and stop thinking about fantasy football for a few moments.  Being down for a week in April is not a big deal.

Relax people the NFL season is over 4 months away.  It's spring and the weather is just getting nice outside.  Go outside and enjoy it and stop thinking about fantasy football for a few moments.  Being down for a week in April is not a big deal.
Disagreed.

These upgrades can and should be done early in the off season when most owners are in hibernation. Doing it now right before the draft is a total buzz kill for dynasty leagues.

Have they even explained exactly what it is they are doing that will lead to an improved customer experience?

But I'm at work. ;)

Redraft is where people won't be even thinking about the NFL for another few months. Being down with less than a week before the NFL draft IS a big deal for dynasty leagues. Many leagues have their annual rookie drafts start right after the NFL draft, many startups start their initial drafts right after the NFL draft. Being down impacts those leagues and owners who are usually negotiating trades in the days leading up to those events.

I'm fine with them doing an upgrade and it even taking longer than expected, love the website. But no, the timing absolutely stinks, makes no sense why they do it just before the NFL Draft every year. 

I also agree that the testing has likely shown serious problems, but that also is to be expected from time to time.  I don't think there is anything unusual about taking this long to get it dialed in, but the week before the draft shows a terrible lack of foresight.

Maybe I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but is it possible this upgrade is of the "critical problems" variety?

They would have to know the timing of this sucks, as we do.  Would they be foolish enough to actually schedule a semi-routine upgrade the week before the draft?

Maybe I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but is it possible this upgrade is of the "critical problems" variety?

They would have to know the timing of this sucks, as we do.  Would they be foolish enough to actually schedule a semi-routine upgrade the week before the draft?
They did an upgrade at the exact same time last year. I don't recall if they did one the years before.

Apparently its a big deal to a lot of core users.  Doesn't impact me but the troubles are concerning.  

What is a big deal to me is the almost complete lack of responsiveness for updating the look, feel and usability of the site.  I cannot believe how clunky the adp page is

- only being able to split by dates that are 15 days apart

- no half pt ppr identified leagues

- any number of ways to download and put into a DB program

I want to be able to set up BB waivers and then a waiver priority-based process instead of a FCFS after the BB waivers - don't think I can do that either. 

Terrible post. 

Users who are viewing this thread