What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Musicians who sold out (1 Viewer)

Hearing Iggy Pop songs on car commercials makes me say him, but geez, at his age it doesn't count.  

Red Hot Chili Peppers.  

First few albums were skate punks playing funk.  So great.  They they got a little more tame, and then outright lame.  

Based on the thread title I expected the Number 1 answer to be Kiss.. What with the dolls and everything else they put forth..

But hey, if you were in their "shoes" you'd have done the same thing :moneybag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aerosmith. They were a legit rock band in the 70s, very underrated imo. First 2 albums after their comeback were decent, but after Pump they became a sellout toolbag power ballad doosh nozzle pile o' crap. And Tyler is just completely annoying.

Aerosmith. They were a legit rock band in the 70s, very underrated imo. First 2 albums after their comeback were decent, but after Pump they became a sellout toolbag power ballad doosh nozzle pile o' crap. And Tyler is just completely annoying.
No way some record exec didn't strong arm them into doing the Walk This Way thing. It Did wonders for them, because they would have remained drug riddled hasbeens without that. 

Coldplay....oh wait, they have always sucked 

There is commercial music, Coldplay is music for commercials..

Flavor Flav.  Dude was in Public Enemy for crying out loud and the last time I saw him he was shacked up on VH1 (VH1!!) with the Russian's old lady. 

Yeahhhh, boy!

I don't get the whining when people make money doing what they do for a living. If you leave your job for a higher paying job, are you selling out?

Same goes for when people whined when InBev bought Devil's Backbone. Instead of congratulating the owners for making a profit off their hard work, people cursed them. WTF?

I don't get the whining when people make money doing what they do for a living. If you leave your job for a higher paying job, are you selling out?

Same goes for when people whined when InBev bought Devil's Backbone. Instead of congratulating the owners for making a profit off their hard work, people cursed them. WTF?
Beer snobs and music geeks have quite a bit in common.  

Billy Joel - His old stuff (Piano Man, 52nd Street, the Stranger) is so good, but he sold his soul to marry Christie Brinkley and has been churning out tripe garbage ever since. 

Looks like somebody listens to crappy music.

Rod Stewart He will sing anything, and I mean anything, that might sell a few copies.

Jeff Lynne/ELO ruined an awesome band by going bubble gum pop be

I have a vague memory of seeing a box of children's cereal endorsed by Smash Mouth or one of those other lame bands (Barenaked Ladies maybe?) at the dollar store. They should have just boxed up their credibility and relevance put it in a clearance bin by the register.

Gotta say though, don't you have to be cool first to sell out?   

Hate when ABI buys the "little" guys but I get completely why the founders sold. I would too, 10 times out of 10. What I don't like is when the big guys use these acquisitions to leverage shelf space at the detriment of the remaining little guys. Or when they "tinker" with operations in an effort to make $$. And I think that's why many if not most "cursed" the sale.

Allowing good songs to be in commercials is not selling out.

Making bad songs to make money is selling out.

They don't "allow", they sell.  Maybe its smart business but it is the definition of "selling out".
I disagree.  Radio only exists to sell advertising and I consider getting paid to put a song in an commercial no different than getting paid for a song to play on the radio.

I disagree.  Radio only exists to sell advertising and I consider getting paid to put a song in an commercial no different than getting paid for a song to play on the radio.
I think we're agreeing.  I'm just pointing out that they aren't "allowing" and agency to use their songs, they're getting paid. I didn't say it was bad.

Users who are viewing this thread