Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
MattFancy

How to fix this team I recently took over

So I just recently took over this team in a dynasty league. Team needs a ton of work and the only pick I have in 2016 is a mid-4th (4.4) in a 12-team league.

Below are some of my pieces (yes I know it's not pretty):

QB - Roethlisberger, Winston, Bortles, Kaepernick

RB - Yeldon, Matt Jones, Alfred Morris, Sproles

WR - Evans, Landry, Nate Washington, Crowder, Royal, Austin, Kearse, Aiken, Lee

TE - Eifert, Fleener, Escobar

Was recently offered 1.4, 2.1, 2017 1st and some throw in players for Evans and Matt Jones. I really don't want to deal Evans, but he's about the only piece I have that would get me much in trade. Should I just sit tight and play this year out knowing my 2017 1st will be high, or start stockpiling picks now?

51 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

So I just recently took over this team in a dynasty league. Team needs a ton of work and the only pick I have in 2016 is a mid-4th (4.4) in a 12-team league.

Was recently offered 1.4, 2.1, 2017 1st and some throw in players for Evans and Matt Jones. I really don't want to deal Evans, but he's about the only piece I have that would get me much in trade. Should I just sit tight and play this year out knowing my 2017 1st will be high, or start stockpiling picks now?

I don't think you even consider that offer, personally.  Our boy Jones gets his chance this year to stake his claim as a RB... and Evans needs to remain the centerpiece of your WR corps. 

I can say that if Coby Fleener has the year he should in that NO offense, maybe he becomes a piece you can move for help at RB and/or WR.

• Like 1

Don't start a rebuild by trading quality young players for picks.  I think you have some nice young pieces to work with.  If it were me, Big Ben and Kaepernick would be on my trade bait to my other league owners.  For that matter, maybe even offer up any of your QB (assuming start 1).  You need to only build around either Bortles or Winston.  I would see if I could get a mid round pick for Morris but otherwise I would hold and hope he ends up getting a decent amount of work in Dallas and then trade him.  Sproles probably has such little trade value that you can hold him until you have a young prospect to replace him.  I would also be shopping Fleener and again it may take until in season to get value so you may have to hold him for a while.

I think the biggest mistake you could make would be to sell young up and comers like Evans and Jones just to have some picks this year.  If needed you simply be patient and have not much going in this years draft.  Build around Bortles, Winston, Yeldon, Jones, Evans, Landry and Eifert.  All the other pieces are tradeable and even one of those QB if it is a start 1 league.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

Don't start a rebuild by trading quality young players for picks.  I think you have some nice young pieces to work with.  If it were me, Big Ben and Kaepernick would be on my trade bait to my other league owners.  For that matter, maybe even offer up any of your QB (assuming start 1).  You need to only build around either Bortles or Winston.  I would see if I could get a mid round pick for Morris but otherwise I would hold and hope he ends up getting a decent amount of work in Dallas and then trade him.  Sproles probably has such little trade value that you can hold him until you have a young prospect to replace him.  I would also be shopping Fleener and again it may take until in season to get value so you may have to hold him for a while.

I think the biggest mistake you could make would be to sell young up and comers like Evans and Jones just to have some picks this year.  If needed you simply be patient and have not much going in this years draft.  Build around Bortles, Winston, Yeldon, Jones, Evans, Landry and Eifert.  All the other pieces are tradeable and even one of those QB if it is a start 1 league.

This pretty much sums it all up.  When the season starts find a QB needy team and move Big Ben to them.

I completely disagree.

I would look to trade Evans, Jones, Landry and any other player that has value.  If you can get that offer for just Evans I would do it if the pick is a mid 17 first. Try to get as many 17 1sts as you can. You will get the 1.1 next year if you trade those guys also. If you don't trade some of these guys you may get stuck in the middle which is the worst place to be.

45 minutes ago, Pastor said:

I completely disagree.

I would look to trade Evans, Jones, Landry and any other player that has value.  If you can get that offer for just Evans I would do it if the pick is a mid 17 first. Try to get as many 17 1sts as you can. You will get the 1.1 next year if you trade those guys also. If you don't trade some of these guys you may get stuck in the middle which is the worst place to be.

You have to start climbing out of the cellar at some point.  The offer made to him is a crap offer and Evans and Jones are two promising pieces.

More info- ppr and starting requirements (1 rb or 2 rb). 

Build around bortles Winston yeldon jones Evans eifert and sell off the rest. Landry is a nice ppr wr but I'd try to keep my wr 2/3 down, plus he will bring some value.  You shouldn't have a hard time losing your way to the 1.1 even if you keep those guys. I see the argument of selling everything you have for future picks and rebuild that way, but you have a head start with what you have. If nothing else I'd hold bortles/Evans/eifert, those guys should be good building blocks.

I would not trade Evans unless someone overpays. I'm really high on him this year. I would start by shopping QB's. I don't value QB as much. You can stream even in dynasty. The fantasy community seems to have a man crush on Winston, so I'd shop him around. I might even try to move 2 QB's. I'd be happy going in with just Big Ben/Bortles.

I like Yeldon's talent. He hasn't hit his stride yet, so trade value isn't really there. I'd hold him unless you get a great offer. I'd see if anyone will bite on Morris and/or M.Jones. The fact that they have been in the news with new situations creates value in some owners minds. Maybe you can package them to an owner desperate for RB's. 

I'd also shop Eifert and Fleener and try to move one. I'd preferably try to find someone high on Fleener. I'm not convinced the move to N.O. will do as much for him as people think. He's not going to be what Graham was there. I would not move Eifert for anything less than 1.01 or a top 10 WR. The top TE's are gold. You might be able to package Eifert with another player for a legit top WR. I might try to pair Eifert or Fleener with someone with a little bit of name value (Morris, Jones, Austin, Aiken). 

Whatever you do, don't sell low out of desperation to do something. Use the dynasty trade value charts here on footballguys as a guideline.

I have generally found that players are better than picks when you are trying to climb up. Chances of hitting enough on rookies to pull you up quickly is slim. If I were in your situation, I might just treat it like a redraft league this year. I'd consider trading future picks for filling in holes this year. You don't have a bad core. I think you just need a legit RB1 and a WR2 to pair with Evans. I'd trade QBs, a TE and picks to get those.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MattFancy said:

Rebuilding is fun.  You have one big advantage... you can churn and burn through waiver wire fodder hoping to find players that have an increase in market value that you can swap for prospects or future picks.  You never have to worry about winning any given week.

Now is not a good time to trade players for picks.  At draft time, pick value is at a premium and player value is at its lowest.  During the season, the reverse is true.

That said, you are really not looking all that bad long term except at RB and that is where you want to be weak during a rebuild, since they will often lose their value by the time you can compete:

QB1 - Bortles (rated top 5 for dynasty)

WR1 - Evans (Rated top 10 for dynasty )

WR2 - Landry (rated top 20 for dynasty PPR)

TE1 - Eifert #2 Dynasty

That is about half your starting lineup.  

11 hours ago, FantaC1 said:

I have generally found that players are better than picks when you are trying to climb up. Chances of hitting enough on rookies to pull you up quickly is slim. If I were in your situation, I might just treat it like a redraft league this year. I'd consider trading future picks for filling in holes this year. You don't have a bad core. I think you just need a legit RB1 and a WR2 to pair with Evans. I'd trade QBs, a TE and picks to get those.   

Do not sell future picks for players during a rebuild in my opinion. Don't treat it like redraft, because you are trying to set yourself up a window to win championships. 

14 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

More info- ppr and starting requirements (1 rb or 2 rb). 

Build around bortles Winston yeldon jones Evans eifert and sell off the rest. Landry is a nice ppr wr but I'd try to keep my wr 2/3 down, plus he will bring some value.  You shouldn't have a hard time losing your way to the 1.1 even if you keep those guys. I see the argument of selling everything you have for future picks and rebuild that way, but you have a head start with what you have. If nothing else I'd hold bortles/Evans/eifert, those guys should be good building blocks.

PPR

Start 1 QB, 1-3 RB, 1-4 WR, 1-3 TE

With shallow flexible lineups it's all about having studs so try to package as much as you can for single player upgrades or top pick chances. You need an elite player at each position (Ben, Blake, Evans, eifert) plus ideally 3-4 more elite players (flex and bench) so I'd focus all my efforts on getting the best 7 guys I can. Then try to build depth behind that in case of injury. In a league where you start 1/2/3/1/flex depth is more important and a guy like Landry is nice, but a 1/1/1/1/2flex I would try to upgrade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Do not sell future picks for players during a rebuild in my opinion. Don't treat it like redraft, because you are trying to set yourself up a window to win championships. 

Everyone has their own way, but I totally disagree. I've taken over terrible teams and won with them relatively quickly. One way I do this is  by trading away future picks for proven players. The problem is that you can't get enough players playing at a high enough level through the draft. Even the best rookies take a couple years to be of real value. So you are talking 3-5 years for a return on future picks in most cases. I generally don't worry about anything more than 2-3 years out, because everything changes.

There is a  trend lately that can be exploited. People are getting overly concerned about player age. This makes for some nice value picks to pull yourself up rather quickly by trading future picks for solid players. Every year I start off by saying, what can I do to win this year. I will blow all future assets to win now. So many things will be different next year. If I feel there is no legit path to victory for the current year, then I look at what can I do to set myself up for next year. 

Just another way to look at things that has been very successful for me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FantaC1 said:

Everyone has their own way, but I totally disagree. I've taken over terrible teams and won with them relatively quickly. One way I do this is  by trading away future picks for proven players. The problem is that you can't get enough players playing at a high enough level through the draft. Even the best rookies take a couple years to be of real value. So you are talking 3-5 years for a return on future picks in most cases. I generally don't worry about anything more than 2-3 years out, because everything changes.

There is a  trend lately that can be exploited. People are getting overly concerned about player age. This makes for some nice value picks to pull yourself up rather quickly by trading future picks for solid players. Every year I start off by saying, what can I do to win this year. I will blow all future assets to win now. So many things will be different next year. If I feel there is no legit path to victory for the current year, then I look at what can I do to set myself up for next year. 

Just another way to look at things that has been very successful for me. 

I could see something like this, but the best draft pick I have right now is a 2017 1st. Not a ton of value in that at the moment.

3 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

I could see something like this, but the best draft pick I have right now is a 2017 1st. Not a ton of value in that at the moment.

If it were me 'd try to pair that pick with one of the other players mentioned for an RB1 or a WR2 with upside. With the draft class next year expected to be better at the top, people seem to value the 2017 firsts a lot more than this years picks unless you are in the top 2. 

Just now, FantaC1 said:

If it were me 'd try to pair that pick with one of the other players mentioned for an RB1 or a WR2 with upside. With the draft class next year expected to be better at the top, people seem to value the 2017 firsts a lot more than this years picks unless you are in the top 2. 

There's potential my 1st next year could be towards the top of the draft. This team seems very middle of the roadish, so if things go south early, I'll be looking to sell off players for 2017 picks. If it starts out well, then maybe I look to package that pick for improvements.

If I was you I'd try and trade Big Ben, Fleener, Nate Washington, Alfred Morris, Aiken for 2017 picks.  Those players could potentially help a team trying to win now.

I'd hold on to Mike Evans no matter what since he's your best player.

Also, is Lee, Marquise Lee?  If so, he could turn into something in time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

If I was you I'd try and trade Big Ben, Fleener, Nate Washington, Alfred Morris, Aiken for 2017 picks.  Those players could potentially help a team trying to win now.

I'd hold on to Mike Evans no matter what since he's your best player.

Also, is Lee, Marquise Lee?  If so, he could turn into something in time.

I agree if you could get anything for those guys. But I don't think you could 1 17 first for all 5 of those players combined. QB's have no value in a 12 team league. The key to rebuilding is to make a small profit on value in every trade. If you are willing to trade a top player for many good pieces you can come out ahead in a few years. I would try to trage Landry for a mid 1st this year and a 17 1st. Then trade the first this year for one in 17. 

I would build around Winston, maybe Yeldon (at least short term until stock goes up), Evans, Landry and maybe Eifert and trade high profile assets such as Matt Jones (now, before stock drops), Eifert/Fleener, Bortles, Kaep (especially if traded). Use the rest as throw ins and continually look to add youth/upside on wire. No need to have players like Alf, Sproles, Nate on this team. Build a deep young WR Corp first is the way to building a dynasty imo, good luck!

• Like 1

Update: So far was able to flip Matt Jones for 1.4. Being a Skins fan, it was hard to part with Jones, but at 1.4 I should be able to grab one of the WRs or can now even trade back and get more.

I think that trade is sort of a wash.  If you want to lose early for earlier picks you may have accomplished that as Jones was probably your best back.  Morris will have no trade value now with Zeke in town (although I think he could still get carries). Yeldon will lose a lot of touches to Ivory and Sproles is just an old 3rd down back.  You probably do OK as long as you draft BPA and not need but I like Jones' potential as well as the rookie you will get.

18 minutes ago, Warhogs said:

I think that trade is sort of a wash.  If you want to lose early for earlier picks you may have accomplished that as Jones was probably your best back.  Morris will have no trade value now with Zeke in town (although I think he could still get carries). Yeldon will lose a lot of touches to Ivory and Sproles is just an old 3rd down back.  You probably do OK as long as you draft BPA and not need but I like Jones' potential as well as the rookie you will get.

Jones was definitely the only RB I had with a clear shot at starting, but since I don't think I'm going anywhere this year, he doesn't really help my team now. Plus being a Skins fan and following all the local beat guys, a bunch of them expect the Skins to draft a RB in the mid-rounds. Just muddies the situation and I won't have to worry about that. Now I get to pick whoever is there at #4 out of Coleman, Doctson, or Treadwell. Or can try and trade 1.4 for more picks or a better player than Jones.