What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leonte Carroo, WR MIA: I've seen DeVante Parker and you, sir, are no DeVante Parker. (1 Viewer)

Mr. Irrelevant

IBL Representative
How the heck does this guy not have a thread of his own already?  He's almost certain to have his name called on Friday.

PFF ranks him as a "top 5" WR from this draft class and at #35 overall on their Top 250 big board, and Matt Harmon's numbers paint a picture of a guy with an impressive route tree, an average or better success rate against most types of coverage, and excellent hands.

NFL.com's prospect summary:

STRENGTHS

Has desired NFL size. Targeted by his quarterbacks at a high rate over last three seasons and was up to the challenge. Consistently productive. Averaged over 20 yards per catch over last two seasons and 31 of his 122 catches went for 25-plus yards. Finished with 29 touchdowns over three seasons. Strong ball tracker who can adjust to off-target deep balls and run under them. Can sell cornerback on the vertical route and then break it off suddenly while working back to the throw. Natural, reliable hands catcher who snatches the ball away from his body. Able to make contested catches. Uses plus balance and footwork to accelerate out of his breaks and create separation. Improved his release against press coverage by varying approaches and improving initial footwork. Gets upfield immediately after the catch and has size to finish with an extra yard or two tacked on. Played in scheme that required him to be a willing and competitive run blocker. Team captain. Willing to play with pain. Missed two games due to high ankle sprain, but came back early and played hurt over final three games of the season.

WEAKNESSES

His gaudy yards per catch numbers are a function of Rutgers play-­action passing attack more than his speed deep. Rarely outruns cornerbacks and struggles to get over the top and stack them. Is a little too upright into his routes and hip stiffness limits ability to run sharp out-breaking and in-breaking routes. Has had his struggles against physical, press­-man cover men with length. Was completely ineffective and nearly shut out in 2014 against Michigan States Trae Waynes. Scouts have concerns regarding Carroo's personal character and reliability. Suspended two games for his role in a simple assault charge involving a domestic dispute and missed the first half of the first game after being suspended for missing curfew.

Unlike many of this year's draft class of WRs whom I see as complementary pieces, I think Carroo has the skillset to be a team's #1 option, even if his ceiling is somewhat lower than "future fantasy stud". IMO if he keeps his head on straight, I think he easily can become one of this class' top 5, and it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him become the most productive WR in the Class of 2016.  What say you all? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him from the videos I've watched of him. I also looked into his assault charge and what I read he was breaking up a fight between his GF and a girl that he had had a relationship with and that ended up with him pushing her to the point she hit the ground, the girl dropped the charges pretty quick though since she knew it wasn't anything that bad. 

I actually agree with the above that he is going to be a complementary we at least but I can see him becoming the #1 for a team. I was actually just telling a friend of mine that I see him as a small version of Julio

I got Carroo as a top 5 WR in this class flying under a lot of radars.

Got some connections to NE, hope he lands there

I have a feeling that this years draft class is going to end up being sneaky better than what we thought... 

I watched everything I could get my hands on Carroo.  I don't have my board finalized yet, but I can't believe I'd have him rated lower than #5 on the WR chart.

Right now I have him at WR7 and his hands and the way he plucks the ball is really impressive to me.  Very solid in the short/intermediate seems kind of like a Landry type but more of a complimentary piece than a true #1.  He does look good when I watched him too.  

He's a better version of Tyler Boyd.  

I like Leonte Carroo. (I liked him a year ago too.)

I have him as a top 3 WR in this class. I could put him at any of the top 3 slots, depending on how much attention I pay to my statistical analysis vs. information that I get from other people's opinions.

Caroo is WR 10 and 77 overall in this consensus list. He is also WR 10 on Ticks consensus list that he compiled.

I have him as a tier 3 prospect but I am probably wrong. If he is drafted fairly high as these lists suggest he will be I expect I will be moving him up into a  tier 2 prospect.

I saw a couple of recent top 100 prospects lists and he wasn't on any of them.

Soulfly3 said:
Absolutely love this guy. Trying to avoid chat about him, to steal him in dynasty
same tbh

He is a favorite of the rotoviz guys, who have supposedly found college market share of yards to be one of the most correlated factors with nfl success.

Fantasy or NFL? Either way I doubt it, I think he could be as good as any of them but the hype just isn't there.

I'm thinking fantasy. I highly doubt he goes in the NFL 1st round. If he does, I would have to think that would be one of the biggest 1st round surprises.

But I would bet Carroo going in the 2nd round to New England compared to Doctson going to Minnesota could see their ADPs closer than anticipated. 

hoping the analytics tell the Browns to take him early Rnd 2 (if they dont take one in rnd 1, after dropping down again)

I took Fuller in the mock, just so ppl wouldnt piss and moan. Given the choice after Coleman and Treadwell... it's all Carroo for me. Honestly, above Doctson, who I also like.

Run It Up said:
I got Carroo as a top 5 WR in this class flying under a lot of radars.

Got some connections to NE, hope he lands there

hoping the analytics tell the Browns to take him early Rnd 2 (if they dont take one in rnd 1, after dropping down again)

Agree with both of these. I really like Carroo and think he's flying under the radar. Where/When he gets drafted will play a large role in if we see steam start to gain with him. For me I think Carroo is one of those players who's rookie ADP will be much higher in later rookie drafts (July-Aug) than it will be for rookie drafts that take place right after the NFL draft. In the mid-late 1st round, Carroo is probably the player that I'll be most likely to reach a bit for or try to trade up for. 

Why would New England be a good landing spot, best case scenario he's 3rd in line for targets, and could be as low as 6th.

I think Cincinnati would be a best case, their cupboard is bare after Green and Eifert.

He would be the only WR on the roster who could do everything. With Lafell gone and Dobson soon to follow they've got 3 guys who all have the same prototype in Edelman, Dola and Hogan.

Edelman is coming up on contract stuff, Amendola is either gonna get cut or rather team friendly extension and Hogan has never played a snap for the Pats. They need a receiver sooner than later and if Carroo is there it's probably the best value they will get.

Big Carroo fan as a Rutgers guy. One thing you have to remember is that he put up those really impressive stats last year with truly horrible QB play. There were also a couple of games last year where he barely played or was only on the field as a decoy as he dealt with a knee injury, so that would make his per game stats even better. 

I know Tannehill has his issues but he's still getting a huge upgrade at the position. 

ON the list of worst spots to land, he found it.

So, so, sooooooo disappointed w this. 
Exactly. He won't be fantasy relevant for a 2-3 years unless there is an injury to Parker or Landry. The only dynasty leagues I would feel comfortable drafting him in have a taxi squad where I could stash him, as I wouldn't want him burning a roster spot waiting for the payoff.  He was on my target list as a late 1st, now he has at least fallen somewhere into the 2nd and I am not even sure I would take him there.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said third-rounder Leonte Carroo was the second-ranked receiver on their draft board.
Despite having three quality starters at receiver, the Dolphins traded three picks including a third- and fourth-rounder next season to move up for Carroo in the third round. The price tag speaks to how highly Miami valued the Rutgers product, and it makes it likely he is given a fair shot to unseat Kenny Stills as the No. 3 receiver. With good speed and elite ball skills, Carroo could end up being one of the steals of the draft.

Source: Palm Beach Post 
May 10 - 11:54 AM

http://www.playerprofiler.com/article/leonte-carroo-fantasy-outlook/

Conclusion

We can stop acting like Leonte Carroo was drafted by the 2013 Denver Broncos.  Miami had one startable receiver last season, and that receiver occupies the bottom-tiers of both efficiency and athleticism.  The other hurdles to Carroo’s success are an as-yet unproven and often-injured first rounder, and a speedy journeyman with no identity on this offense.

Leonte Carroo is going to ascend.  He basically has to.  When a historically dominant prospect falls to a team that absolutely loves him, we need to pay attention no matter who is standing in the way.  In this case, Carroo’s closest competition may prove to be little more than bear food.  “Reach” for him at the end of the first round, try not to get bitten in the process, and laugh all the way to the bank in seasons to come.

Love hearing this.  We'll see once camp rolls around.  If he could be a better version of Landry, that's fantasy gold right there.  

Dolphins third-round WR Leonte Carroo has impressed at OTAs.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald said Carroo "made quite an impression." Teammate S Michael Thomas added that Carroo's physical skill set reminds him of a faster Anquan Boldin. Carroo will spend the next five weeks honing his craft with No. 1 receiver Jarvis Landry. Carroo is off to a solid start in his battle with Kenny Stills to earn snaps behind Landry and DeVante Parker.

Source: Miami Herald 
Jun 17 - 2:16 PM

Carroo looks to be a very promising prospect. The Dolphins decision to trade picks to move up to get him in addition to his talents, skills, and drive to succeed are all an indication that this youngster is poised to be one of the more upside rookies for 2016. I am really excited about him. He fell all the way to 2.10 for me to select in my 12 team ppr dynasty draft.  Might be the best pick this year.

Just curious of his outlook with Parker and Landry there. Are we thinking in 2-3 years with him, or is the assumption he can carve out FF relevance sooner?

Just curious of his outlook with Parker and Landry there. Are we thinking in 2-3 years with him, or is the assumption he can carve out FF relevance sooner?
Isn't Landry better as a slot WR? If that's the case then Parker-Caroo are well suited for the outside spots. The way I think of it the situation is any coach wants their best players on the field as much as possible. I'm betting that Parker-Landry-Caroo is a better option than Parker-Landry-Cameron for the passing game.

The talent is there for him to unseat Stills. He is a Landry or Parker injury away from relevancy. In the Gase offense there is opportunity.  Like most rookies he has some refinement work that needs to occur.  He is a pick I am happy to park on my bench for 2-3 years to develop.  At that point  Landry or Parker may not have the hold they do right now. He has WR1 talent and could be a top 10-15 wr in ppr in 2 to 3 years.

If he's as good as some think, he'll blow right past Landry.  And let's face it, Parker didn't really show a ton last season either.  You stick a true mid round talent on that team (Allen Robinson, Randall Cobb, TY Hilton, John Brown type talent) and he's going to demand looks.  I don't think this receiving corps is settled yet.  Landry has played well but let's face it, his value was from volume alone.  He didn't do much with his looks either.  

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/06/signs-of-progress-but-accuracy-still-a-work-in-progress-for-tannehill-dolphins-post-minicamp-nuggets.html

Though it’s easier for receivers to shine in May/June drills (without full pads), Leonte Carroohas made quite an impression.

Safety Michael Thomas “called me Anquan Boldin” this week, Carroo said. “He said, ‘You play like him – you’re big, you’re physical like him.’ I’ve heard that a lot. A faster Anquan Boldin.”

Carroo, incidentally, will spend most of the next five “vacation weeks” training with Jarvis Landry.

Eta: my bad for duplicative post here.

Sabertooth said:
If he's as good as some think, he'll blow right past Landry.  And let's face it, Parker didn't really show a ton last season either.  You stick a true mid round talent on that team (Allen Robinson, Randall Cobb, TY Hilton, John Brown type talent) and he's going to demand looks.  I don't think this receiving corps is settled yet.  Landry has played well but let's face it, his value was from volume alone.  He didn't do much with his looks either.  
You might want to go look at his last 6 games again.

saintfool said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Isn't Landry better as a slot WR? If that's the case then Parker-Caroo are well suited for the outside spots. The way I think of it the situation is any coach wants their best players on the field as much as possible. I'm betting that Parker-Landry-Caroo is a better option than Parker-Landry-Cameron for the passing game.
And that's the problem with his outlook.  If all three WR are good enough to play together and contribute, that passing offense needs to grow significantly for all to have FF relevance.  If they all play a lot, they will all see their ceilings capped by target count rather than by talent.

And that's the problem with his outlook.  If all three WR are good enough to play together and contribute, that passing offense needs to grow significantly for all to have FF relevance.  If they all play a lot, they will all see their ceilings capped by target count rather than by talent.

i like Gase but a lot of this will come down to Tannehill. if he is willing to hang in the pocket then he can take advantage of players like Parker and Caroo. If he's unable to handle the pressure then he might take the easier target in a Landry.

If all 3 are productive it would probably be like AZ last year, weekly highs and lows for the WRs with little consistency.

Yeah he had a decent stretch against some weak defenses.  The fantasy graveyard is littered with guys who really cranked it up for a short time and then disappeared forever.

Yeah he had a decent stretch against some weak defenses.  The fantasy graveyard is littered with guys who really cranked it up for a short time and then disappeared forever.
The fantasy stud list is too.  That's actually how most of them start.  You can be dismissive in order to fit your preconceptions if you want I suppose but it's false to say Parker didn't show much last year.  He showed very well in the limited healthy chances he had.

Dolphins third-round pick Leonte Carroo is trying to shed weight before the season.
After measuring 6-foot, 211 in Indy, Carroo said he currently weighs 217 and wants to get down to 210. "You become faster when you shed some pounds," he said. "I don't have any bad weight on me. That's what I was at the Combine. Why not be as fast and explosive as I can be?" Carroo will enter camp competing for sub-package snaps behind Jarvis Landry and DeVante Parker.

Source: Miami Herald

He put a few good games together no doubt.  But not enough to predict him being a target hog. 

The fantasy stud list is too.  That's actually how most of them start.  You can be dismissive in order to fit your preconceptions if you want I suppose but it's false to say Parker didn't show much last year.  He showed very well in the limited healthy chances he had.
What did he show?  Finishing behind Funchess and Stills isn't showing a lot.  

What did he show?  Finishing behind Funchess and Stills isn't showing a lot.  
In the final 6 games he put up a 59/1187/8 pace.  In 16 games those guys put up ~30/450/4 pace between them.  In the 6 games Parker played at the end of the year, Stills went:

2/12
2/49/1
1/23
3/14
1/11
Total 9/109/1 for a 24/291/2.5 pace

More importantly, Parker looked beastly at times. 

He put a few good games together no doubt.  But not enough to predict him being a target hog. 
I didn't say he'd be a target hog (although he did have 10 targets twice in 6 games and no less than 5 in the other 4).  I just suggested that if you thought he didn't show anything last year you might want to take a closer look.  He had an early injury and that stunted his growth early on and he didn't play or get involved much until those last 6 games.  But once he did, there's something to see.

he had a nice little stretch there if you want to cherry pick.  He was healthy most of the season though and took forever to get on the field.  

he had a nice little stretch there if you want to cherry pick.  He was healthy most of the season though and took forever to get on the field.  
I specifically said "last 6 games".  That's hardly cherry-picking since he missed tons of reps in camp and would have fallen way behind so between that and the foot he hardly played prior to those games.  But hey if you want to dismiss him feel free.

Week 10 - 0 snaps
Week 9 - 4 snaps

Prior:

Dolphins OC Bill Lazor said DeVante Parker (foot) probably hasn't been healthy all season.
"I don’t know if we’ve seen him as healthy [any time] this year," Lazor said. "Probably not." Parker has played just 110 offensive snaps and reeled in 4-of-7 targets for 49 scoreless yards. He needed surgery to replace the screw in his surgically-repaired foot over the summer and fell behind. Parker has been unable to elevate past No. 4 on the depth chart behind Kenny Stills and Rishard Matthews. Matthews is set to be a free agent in the offseason, opening up a spot for Parker.

Source: Miami Herald
Fri, Nov 13, 2015 09:54:00 AM

Users who are viewing this thread