What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 NFL Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS ALLOWED (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
For those of you who get the picks before the commish announces them, PLEASE keep it to yourself.  Most of us prefer to discuss who we think will be picked next or prefer just to see it unfold on TV.  If you want to spoil the picks for some reason, please start your own spoiler allowed thread.

As a panthers fan, it will be a long night / wait for me.

I miss the good old draft Saturdays.
Agreed. Panthers pick 2nd to last every round. That means I will get to see 3 picks by the time Saturday morning rolls around. Completely sucks. The 1st round is just an ugly wait. The 15 minutes between picks is so damn slow.

The 15 minutes between picks is so damn slow.
Even though I'm expecting it, it's still going to piss me off this evening when they spend a half-hour on the first 2 picks even though everyone in the universe knows exactly who those picks are going to be.

If it were up to me, I'd put a "time bank" in place for each team - for every minute less than 10 minutes you spend making your picks in the first 3 rounds, you can "bank" a minute and draw against it during the last 4 rounds (when it might behoove teams to occasionally take more than 5 minutes to decide on a pick and/or a trade offer).

But hey, that might mean running fewer commercials tonight, and OMG, we can't have that!

Even though I'm expecting it, it's still going to piss me off this evening when they spend a half-hour on the first 2 picks even though everyone in the universe knows exactly who those picks are going to be.

If it were up to me, I'd put a "time bank" in place for each team - for every minute less than 10 minutes you spend making your picks in the first 3 rounds, you can "bank" a minute and draw against it during the last 4 rounds (when it might behoove teams to occasionally take more than 5 minutes to decide on a pick and/or a trade offer).

But hey, that might mean running fewer commercials tonight, and OMG, we can't have that!
Sorry, I misspoke, it is 10 minutes per 1st round pick now. Still the same yawn sometimes. I agree on the top 2 picks, they are pretty much set in stone. Unless the Rams go Wentz and shock everyone, the Eagles and their pick should take 10 seconds.

I wonder if this is the NFL's doing now to stretch it out over the entire prime time. I remember a long time ago when the first pick would sometimes have a signed deal announced before the draft.

The 1st round is just an ugly wait. The 15 minutes between picks is so damn slow.
Good thing it's only 10?  Also, my team has only had 1 top 10 pick in the last 15 years, so I'm pretty used to waiting.

My least favorite thing about the draft on Thursday and Friday is that by the time the Steelers pick, some team has traded and some guy has fallen in the draft, so about half the time the announcers just keep jabbering on about that and don't even mention/talk about the Steelers pick.  Very frequently the 2nd or 3rd round pick passes and I have no clue who it is because the announcers just keep talking about Johnny Manziel or Tebow or "Insert player with no talent but lots of ratings here."

And now Ragland with an enlarged aorta.  I have to wonder how much of this being floated around now is just BS smokescreen by teams and agents.

I think I'm going to create an alias JayGlazer and pretend to tip picks in the thread,  and watch everyone go bonkers.  Then, when they realized I was just kidding around,  and ignoring me,  I'd throw a REAL spoiler in there,  and watch people go crazy. 

I'll apologize, and say I thought it was announced already.  Everyone forgives me,  and I wait a few picks,  and then I DO IT AGAIN. 

Same here. My ex-wife use to know that NFL Draft weekends it was best to just leave me alone. 2 14 hour shifts of nothing but football talk.
We used to host a draft party on Saturday.  Got up to like 30 people playing poker, draft on in the background.  Got totally ####faced.  Then spend Sunday hung over watching the the rest.  We still have the party, but it's not as cool.  I think we have 11 coming this year.  Should be a good card game though.  And I planned to get hammered.  

And now Ragland with an enlarged aorta.  I have to wonder how much of this being floated around now is just BS smokescreen by teams and agents.
It might be good for some team. Star Lotulelei was talked about as a potential #1 overall pick in 2013. He had a heart condition found at the combine and ended up slipping to us at #14 and we've been very happy. Here's a bunch of the guys that he was passed over for due to that medical condition that hasn't hindered him at all:

Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Johnathan Cooper, Tavon Austin, Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker and DJ Hayden.

Heck, even Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel have been underwhelming and might not have their 5th year option exercised.

Taking every ounce of restraint not to load up on Tunsil going over 4.5 -235.  Can bet 940 to make a quick 400. just don't see a scenario where he goes top 4. SD likely going Ramsey and even if they decide to go ot, indications are they prefer stanley. No way dallas goes ot.  They could deal down but now Balt throwing smokescreens leaking they could be darkhorse for elliot. Feel like Jerry going to overrule everyone and just snag elliot at 4, not mess around.

Great read, particularly the UDFA stories at the end (LOL'd hard at that last one) and the medical residency idea for UDFAs.  Thanks!
It's amazing more teams don't try to copy GB's success and take UDFA's more seriously. Especially the bad teams where UDFA's have a legitimate shot at earning significant playing time and aren't 100% hoping for an injury just so they make the team.

It's amazing more teams don't try to copy GB's success and take UDFA's more seriously. Especially the bad teams where UDFA's have a legitimate shot at earning significant playing time and aren't 100% hoping for an injury just so they make the team.

Big part of Seattle's draft plan is UDFA. They basically consider it a second draft. Hawks have to be near the league lead in amount of UDFA on the roster.

Any recommendations for streaming commentary on tonight's draft? NFL Mobile is my first option but I'm open to non-NFL Network/ESPN alternatives.

The 1st round is just an ugly wait. The 15 minutes between picks is so damn slow.
People seem to keep saying this, but I feel like the past couple years have moved along really nicely. I think the new(ish) format has really helped make the early rounds watchable.

Am I wrong?

People seem to keep saying this, but I feel like the past couple years have moved along really nicely. I think the new(ish) format has really helped make the early rounds watchable.

Am I wrong?
you're right.  it's gone at a nice pace.

Users who are viewing this thread