What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 NFL Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS ALLOWED (1 Viewer)

Miami is stupid though. They can convince themselves that Tannenhill is still the guy. And SF depends on Chip. He made many mistakes here but he still got Vick, Foles, Sanchez and Bradford to win 27 games. I think he can keep the Niners at 6 wins or so.
What's more likely to happen now is the Browns miss out on Watson, Carson Wentz becomes a franchise QB for the Eagles instead of the Browns, and Haslam fires everyone for passing on Wentz.

I think "pure" is a relative term - I thino for some reason teams felt it more palatable to give the guy another position.

When the Bengals drafted Brad St. Louis in the 7th round about 15 years ago the position said TE" but every report (even on the Bengals website) said he was drafted to be the long snapper.  I don't ever recall seeing him line up even once at TE.

-QG

When looking for a QB, you'd rather have more top 5 overall picks than a slew of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks.

From 1995-2014, 11 of 23 QBs selected top 5 overall panned out (slightly under half):

good: mcnair,  p manning, mcnabb, palmer, e manning, rivers, ryan, stafford, newton, luck, bortles

bad: k collins, leaf, couch, a. smith, vick, carr, harrington, a. smith, young, russell, snchez, bradford, rg3
Several of your "bad" QBs have carved out relevant careers. Vick doesn't belong on the "bad" list by any measure. Jury is still out on Bradford and RG3, but they don't belong on "good" list at this point either. Kerry Collins is arguable..he had a few decent years. A Smith is a disapointment as a #1 pick, but absolutely does NOT belong on a bust list.

Revising your list then: 13 of 23 panned out (putting VIck and Smith here), 2 more have been serviceable at times (Collins, Sanchez), for 2 the jury is out (with serviceable or bust more likely than hit: Bradford, RG3), and 6 were outright busts.

While I'm not a fan of moving up for a QB, you've actually over-stated the bust rate

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of your "bad" QBs have carved out relevant careers. Vick doesn't belong on the "bad" list by any measure. Jury is still out on Bradford and RG3, but they don't belong on "good" list at this point either. Kerry Collins is arguable..he had a few decent years. A Smith is a disapointment as a #1 pick, but absolutely does NOT belong on a bust list.

Revising your list then: 13 of 23 panned out (putting VIck and Smith here), 2 more have been serviceable at times (Collins, Sanchez), for 2 the jury is out (with serviceable or bust more likely than hit: Bradford, RG3), and 6 were outright busts.

While I'm not a fan of moving up for a QB, you've actually over-stated the bust rate
Bradford is a bust by every measurable rate. He failed his first team as a #1 pick. He's failed his 2nd team so far as well. RG3 can salvage a journeyman career since he's sill young but he's been a bust too. Vick did have a pretty good early part of his career so I wouldn't call that a bust. Collins had some success for Carolina but ultimately burned out. Had an OK career.  Alex Smith was a total bust for SF. He's been decent  for KC but not a difference maker. 

So while it may improve the "higher pick" ratio, I think his bust rate was fairly accurate for the team that drafted them.

Bradford is a bust by every measurable rate. He failed his first team as a #1 pick. He's failed his 2nd team so far as well. RG3 can salvage a journeyman career since he's sill young but he's been a bust too. Vick did have a pretty good early part of his career so I wouldn't call that a bust. Collins had some success for Carolina but ultimately burned out. Had an OK career.  Alex Smith was a total bust for SF. He's been decent  for KC but not a difference maker. 

So while it may improve the "higher pick" ratio, I think his bust rate was fairly accurate for the team that drafted them.
He was better in NY, also got them to a Super Bowl.  Played for 16 years.

Users who are viewing this thread