What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Upsetting Situation and Difficult Decisions (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Upset and confused about how to proceed with a certain situation.

Quick background. There is a school/kids club/kids space kinda place in my neighborhood (there are about a dozen of them in this franchise across NYC) that my child attends. He currently goes to school there for a 2-3 year old program, he went to camp there last year, was supposed to go this year, and has had his last two birthday parties there. He loves the space, it really is a great place for children. The school program he currently attends isn't cheap, almost $20k for 3 full days a week. NYC has a Universal PreK program (Free PreK for all) and this school is a participant. Part of their pitch when we signed up was their students (current 2-3 year old program) get a "priority spot" in their PreK program - they wouldn't say "it is guaranteed" but gave a wink wink like it was guaranteed. In my view, okay it is $20k this year, but really I'm paying $10k for this year and $10k for next year, just paying it all upfront. Turns out, it isn't guaranteed and we didn't get in. In fact they had 32 people on the priority list and only 15 were accepted - the other families that didn't get in were all under the same impression as us and equally upset/angry. Supposedly the selections were random and done by the city. 

However you want to put it, I feel the sales tactic was very deceptive. A lot of families who signed up for next year (2016-2017) are finding out stories from families like us as they were under the same impression that they have this "priority" spot (wink/wink) and see families like mine scrambling this year. I canceled my son's camp there this summer and demanded a full refund, which they issued. My feelings of sadness and confliction are due to my son, he has friends in the school/camp and absolutely loves this place. On one hand, I feel it is wrong to cancel his camp there bc why should he be the collateral damage, on the other, #### this place and their malicious sales tactics, I don't want to give them another dollar. 

It really almost brings me to tears knowing how much my boy loves this place and that he (and his infant brother) will never see the inside of this place again once the school year ends. I mean, should I let him keep going there for parties, camp, playtime, and other activities - or do I need to stick to my guns and never let this place see another dollar of our money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids that age are pretty resilient. You find your boy another place you are comfortable with and I bet it doesn't take long for him to adjust, make new friends, and forget about the other place. 

Yes, no more $ - your son will overcome this tragedy at such a young age.  

Kids that age are pretty resilient. You find your boy another place you are comfortable with and I bet it doesn't take long for him to adjust, make new friends, and forget about the other place. 

He's 2 or 3.  He'll get over it
I get it, but he really loves this place... It just sucks that he is the one who gets screwed bc of what they're doing, it just feels wrong.

2 year olds are dumb. When he asks about the school just act like you have no idea what he's talking about. Eventually he will convince himself that it was all a figment of his imagination. 

There is plenty of blame to go around here.  You should take a careful look in the mirror.

I mean, should I let him keep going there for parties, camp, playtime, and other activities - or do I need to stick to my guns and never let this place see another dollar of our money?
Do what is best for your son.  You got conned but if this is a great school then suck up your pride and do what you need to.

Not getting the hangup over the cost - I'm not rich and sent my daughter to three years at what I consider at top private preschool (brand new, high tech equipment, great teachers but in a lousy area (North Hollywood) so it wasn't $20k). Worth making sacrifices for my kid's education and yes I believe kids learn a lot at a good preschool.

Do what is best for your son.  You got conned but if this is a great school then suck up your pride and do what you need to.

Not getting the hangup over the cost - I'm not rich and sent my daughter to three years at what I consider at top private preschool (brand new, high tech equipment, great teachers but in a lousy area (North Hollywood) so it wasn't $20k). Worth making sacrifices for my kid's education and yes I believe kids learn a lot at a good preschool.
This is where I'm struggling... We're late in the game for school for 2016. The PreK for all NYC program has my son in this piece of #### daycare center, where I won't send him next year. I've reached out to 7 schools so far, only two have a vacancy, one of which is a Catholic School, I'm not Catholic, but supposedly it is a very good school and there isn't a lot of religion in the PreK program. They've really left us and a bunch of other families in a tough spot, and now most of us are competing for the very few left open spots in places this year.

In terms of why I'm hung up on the cost - when I signed him up, even though I paid upfront, I viewed it as a cost that was good for two years, turns out it now only covers one... Feels like I got hoodwinked out of $10k by them, could've used that money this year, sent him somewhere else last year, prepared better for this year, etc. 

TPW for your family during this difficult time. I can't even imagine the struggle. :(  

Maybe dropping half a rack on booze at a fancy NYC restaurant and posting the receipt here will make you feel better about yourself?

Get together with the 16 other families who also feel like they got "wink-winked" out of $10K each and maybe you get some restitution so their scam can continue. Otherwise start blasting them on social media and warning future families. 

TPW for your family during this difficult time. I can't even imagine the struggle. :(  

Maybe dropping half a rack on booze at a fancy NYC restaurant and posting the receipt here will make you feel better about yourself?
Got a nickel from Del Frisco's from two weeks back, I'll see if I can dig up the check for you. Been a little slow since number 2, so it has been difficult... Hopefully poker playing is yielding some quality income for you.

Can you give them another $10k to make this so-called "waiting list" go away?
"Hey, I know that last used car I sold you quit after 3,000 miles, blown head gasket/thrown rod/complete transmission failure, but trust me, this one is much better."

This thread really needs some Studs N Duds to enlighten us with some of his real life struggles.  Did he retire?

Oh brother.  They take naps, they play, they do art stuff.  Real high quality education there.  The kid's intelligence will tell how well they perform in school going forward, not where they went to daycare....I mean preschool.

This thread really needs some Studs N Duds to enlighten us with some of his real life struggles.  Did he retire?
He was as ephemeral as mist in sunlight.  He is a half forgotten moment, that time between dreams and wakefulness.  He is the Buddha on the road, the scent of laughter. 

lol..

Four daughters, three teenagers all on their "cycle" along with the wife, and a 10 year old know-it-all..  I WISH my biggest problem was not being able to get one of them into a $20,000 preschool that I could afford to send them to.

Is the real issue that the OP is rich enough to live in NYC and drop racks on meals and man jewelry, but not rich enough to live in the NYC burbs where the schools are great?  Am I reading the situation correctly?

It's easy for us outsiders to say he'll get over it but it's completely different for the actual parents. These are the silly thing us parents worry about regarding are kids. I feel for you fc42

Is the real issue that the OP is rich enough to live in NYC and drop racks on meals and man jewelry, but not rich enough to live in the NYC burbs where the schools are great?  Am I reading the situation correctly?
No

No

You're reading wildly incorrect. The dilemma is simple, my son loves a place, but I don't want to send him there bc they are liars.

Cliff's Notes for those not following along...

2-3 year old kids REALLY LOVE their $20K school. And their loser parents got scammed into NOT getting these 2-3 year olds in a PreK program after paying $20K.

Upset and confused about how to proceed with a certain situation.

Quick background. There is a school/kids club/kids space kinda place in my neighborhood (there are about a dozen of them in this franchise across NYC) that my child attends. He currently goes to school there for a 2-3 year old program, he went to camp there last year, was supposed to go this year, and has had his last two birthday parties there. He loves the space, it really is a great place for children. The school program he currently attends isn't cheap, almost $20k for 3 full days a week. NYC has a Universal PreK program (Free PreK for all) and this school is a participant. Part of their pitch when we signed up was their students (current 2-3 year old program) get a "priority spot" in their PreK program - they wouldn't say "it is guaranteed" but gave a wink wink like it was guaranteed. In my view, okay it is $20k this year, but really I'm paying $10k for this year and $10k for next year, just paying it all upfront. Turns out, it isn't guaranteed and we didn't get in. In fact they had 32 people on the priority list and only 15 were accepted - the other families that didn't get in were all under the same impression as us and equally upset/angry. Supposedly the selections were random and done by the city. 

However you want to put it, I feel the sales tactic was very deceptive. A lot of families who signed up for next year (2016-2017) are finding out stories from families like us as they were under the same impression that they have this "priority" spot (wink/wink) and see families like mine scrambling this year. I canceled my son's camp there this summer and demanded a full refund, which they issued. My feelings of sadness and confliction are due to my son, he has friends in the school/camp and absolutely loves this place. On one hand, I feel it is wrong to cancel his camp there bc why should he be the collateral damage, on the other, #### this place and their malicious sales tactics, I don't want to give them another dollar. 

It really almost brings me to tears knowing how much my boy loves this place and that he (and his infant brother) will never see the inside of this place again once the school year ends. I mean, should I let him keep going there for parties, camp, playtime, and other activities - or do I need to stick to my guns and never let this place see another dollar of our money?
tldr but I think you should sue. 

Sucks, but you dropped 20k and signed a contract with no written guarantee of future placement. Dumb. Exiling your child from something they love because you're butt-hurt over making a stupid leap of faith is worse than dumb, it's petty and childish.

In full disclosure my children stayed at home with their mom until they were actual school age so I've never had to deal with what you are going through.

Sucks, but you dropped 20k and signed a contract with no written guarantee of future placement. Dumb. Exiling your child from something they love because you're butt-hurt over making a stupid leap of faith is worse than dumb, it's petty and childish.

In full disclosure my children stayed at home with their mom until they were actual school age so I've never had to deal with what you are going through.
Someone had to say it. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread