Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBottomLine

Su'a Cravens - SS/LB WAS

119 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, cr8f said:

Rotoworld jumping the gun here listing him at ILB after first practices. TC should signal where he plays.

X2

I'm not rushing to judgment here. This is from a WaPo article about him in early June:

“I have to be careful with that because a guy like that you can do so many things with,” Barry said. “You can play him at inside ‘backer, you can play him at outside ‘backer and rush him off the edge or drop him into coverage. You can play him in the slot in a nickel position and do a bunch of things with him.

So, right now kind of just as a starting point, he’s playing our weak-side linebacker – which we call ‘Mo’ – in base and then he’s playing our weak-side linebacker in nickel, which we call the dime linebacker. But I think as he learns and he picks up the system and the more comfortable he gets, the sky is the limit with all the different things you can do with him. But we’ve got to remember, he’s a new kid coming in, learning the playbook, learning all new terminology. He’ll be the first one to tell you, the rookie minicamp, it was like we were speaking a different language, which is understandable.”

During position drills, Cravens has received work at both linebacker and safety. However, during team drills, he has stuck to linebacker because of the need for him to fully grasp one position before moving on to others.

For me, this part in bold is the key. He's just learning the defense. He's going to get used, moved around in the end. I don't know think anyone has a handle on how he'll be used - what the positional snap counts are, etc - but it's very premature to see him as strictly LB.

1 hour ago, georg013 said:

How are they jumping the gun? He has played exclusively at the linebacker position and the coaches have mentioned nothing about putting him out at safety. He isnt even a starter. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on here. He will be a solid player one day but right now he is clearly being over drafted. He is not a safety. He is a linebacker.

Lol

Put away your jump to conclusions mat. TC hasn't even started yet, much less the preseason.  Sheesh. 

5 hours ago, saintfool said:

X2

I'm not rushing to judgment here. This is from a WaPo article about him in early June:

For me, this part in bold is the key. He's just learning the defense. He's going to get used, moved around in the end. I don't know think anyone has a handle on how he'll be used - what the positional snap counts are, etc - but it's very premature to see him as strictly LB.

Yes, I read that. I meant Roto was rushing to judgement. 

Wait til TC and see where he's playing then. This is a boring time of year and reporters have to write something even if it's just guesses. 

I've even seen him listed as LB and S here in the rankings.

2 minutes ago, cr8f said:

Yes, I read that. I meant Roto was rushing to judgement. 

Wait til TC and see where he's playing then. This is a boring time of year and reporters have to write something even if it's just guesses. 

I've even seen him listed as LB and S here in the rankings.

I've seen that too. Here's the thing for me: consensus was among observers that he'd be S even if it was a specialized role. I'm sticking to that narrative unless shown otherwise. I think the reporting outside of the beat reporters is generally pretty lazy but especially this time of year. I'm not inclined to overreact when chatter mentions this kind of thing. OTAs are for experimentation so him getting some early reps at LB doesn't scare me much. In camp? Maybe. Preseason? Definitely. 

On July 1, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Bronco Billy said:

Lol

Put away your jump to conclusions mat. TC hasn't even started yet, much less the preseason.  Sheesh. 

Sounds like Cravens is in the mix for the starting safety job in Washington. Silly me.

David Bruton - DB -  Redskins

CSN Mid-Atlantic reports David Bruton is getting the "first crack" at the Redskins' strong safety job.

Rich Tandler said Duke Ihenacho would have to be "clearly superior" in training camp to unseat Bruton, who started just eight games in his seven years with the Broncos. He does have a fourth-round pedigree, however, and showed well as a short stint as a starter before breaking his leg last season. DeAngelo Hall is locked in at free safety.

he might be off the field for base packages but teams don't use base that much anyhow. he's expected to get a ton of snaps.

2 hours ago, georg013 said:

Sounds like Cravens is in the mix for the starting safety job in Washington. Silly me.

David Bruton - DB -  Redskins

CSN Mid-Atlantic reports David Bruton is getting the "first crack" at the Redskins' strong safety job.

Rich Tandler said Duke Ihenacho would have to be "clearly superior" in training camp to unseat Bruton, who started just eight games in his seven years with the Broncos. He does have a fourth-round pedigree, however, and showed well as a short stint as a starter before breaking his leg last season. DeAngelo Hall is locked in at free safety.

Same comment as above. 

1 person likes this

I was surprised rotoworld listed him at LB when the team doesn't. Why not wait til TC and see where he's used? 

On 7/2/2016 at 4:40 PM, cr8f said:

I was surprised rotoworld listed him at LB when the team doesn't. Why not wait til TC and see where he's used

That's exactly what they have done. 

Edited by Hankmoody

23 hours ago, georg013 said:

I'm curious what purpose that you think is served by pretending I posted something that I clearly did not. 

6 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

I'm curious what purpose that you think is served by pretending I posted something that I clearly did not. 

Chill Bill. That wasn't intentional. Don't know what happened there. 

3 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Officially changed to LB in MFL today

One sets of practices?Geez MFL. 

And if he plays more safety in TC will change back. Why not wait and see what transpires?

Anyone following this situation closely knew this was going to happen. I dont see a scenario where he is converted back to safety this season. I think the LB label sticks. 

From CBS sports earlier this week:

Cravens, who head coach Jay Gruden has announced will begin his career at linebacker as opposed to defensive back in order to learn the defense "from the inside out", could claim a starting role by Week 1, the Washington Post reports.

At 6-foot-1 and 222 pounds, Cravens was drafted as a safety, but is considered part of the influx of the new "moneybackers" breed, a defensive back/linebacker hybrid. Because of his versatility, Gruden presumably did not feel the need to pigeonhole the USC product into his college position, and will instead give him an opportunity to earn his initial NFL chops at linebacker. Gruden's rather surprising proclamation that Cravens could potentially even start as soon as Week 1 may not be far-fetched, considering the Redskins' dearth of talent at the position.

Meh. It's not like he's not valuable at ILB. Patience might be in order here.

14 hours ago, saintfool said:

:yes:

I'm not drafting him because I need him this year.  He gets the Deone Bucannon treatment.  Year one depth that I'll throw out there if in a jam and hope that he's an every week starter year 2, no matter what position he plays.

21 hours ago, saintfool said:

From CBS sports earlier this week:

Typical CBS, they said that he'll start there to learn the offense but the question was posed at OTA's so was he talking about OTA's (and we may see that change in TC) or does he mean regular season? Wait and see everyone. Gruden didn't say.

I guess Rotoworld and CBS know more about it than the Redskins.

19 hours ago, cr8f said:

Typical CBS, they said that he'll start there to learn the offense but the question was posed at OTA's so was he talking about OTA's (and we may see that change in TC) or does he mean regular season? Wait and see everyone. Gruden didn't say.

I guess Rotoworld and CBS know more about it than the Redskins.

Love the optimism. Hopefully he is designated a safety but playing 3 downs from the inside linebacker position.

Well, Buchanon scored enough to be a LB1 in our league. I can live with a starting 3 down MLB as a consolation prize. 

This is is still far from final though. Let's see how it shakes out in week 3 PS

On July 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM, georg013 said:

Love the optimism. Hopefully he is designated a safety but playing 3 downs from the inside linebacker position.

Day 2 still al LB.

Rookie linebacker Su’a Cravens flashed some of his potential near the end of the practice. He picked off quarterback Colt McCoy, then stripped veteran tight end Vernon Davis after the catch on the final play of practice. It’s clear the talent is there for the second-round pick.

Some were disappointed that MFL designated Cravens as LB. But worth emphasizing, IMO, he could still be extremely valuable AS A LB.

He has been compared to Deone Bucannon, largely for possible role (S/LB tweeners Mark Barron and fellow rookie Keanu Neal profile similarly in past few years). Bucannon is faster and more athletic, but Cravens bigger (225 lbs.). Specifically on his pass game instincts, ability to break on the ball like a CB, ball skills, he is one of the more impressive players his size in the short/intermediate coverage range I've seen (LB or even S). I've also seen his skill set compared to Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks (similar size, I think he was significantly faster). Cravens has had several relatives play in the NFL (great bloodlines and football genes). He has succeeded at every level, former USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year before USC.

Bucannon was a first rounder, Cravens second. See where Bucannon scored in your league format. If it was top 10-15 among LBs, and Cravens can match that in a potentially similar role, that could be fairly valuable, S or LB.

6 hours ago, Bob Magaw said:

Some were disappointed that MFL designated Cravens as LB. But worth emphasizing, IMO, he could still be extremely valuable AS A LB.

He has been compared to Deone Bucannon, largely for possible role (S/LB tweeners Mark Barron and fellow rookie Keanu Neal profile similarly in past few years). Bucannon is faster and more athletic, but Cravens bigger (225 lbs.). Specifically on his pass game instincts, ability to break on the ball like a CB, ball skills, he is one of the more impressive players his size in the short/intermediate coverage range I've seen (LB or even S). I've also seen his skills set compared to Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks (similar size, I think he was significantly faster). Cravens has had several relatives play in the NFL (great bloodlines and football genes). He has succeeded at every level, former USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year before USC.

Bucannon was a first rounder, Cravens second. See where Bucannon scored in you league format. If it was top 10-15 among LBs, and Cravens can match that in a potentially similar role, that could be fairly valuable, S or LB.

Yep, in mine he placed 8th in defense above Kuechly and Mosley; Sean Lee and Bobby Wagner were 13th and 14th. 

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Bob Magaw said:

Nice. Didn't he play under Joe Barry at USC too?

1 person likes this

Good catch (the WAS DC for the rest of the thread). :thumbup:

Now Packers using Burnett some at nickel backer in practice, may be a trend.

@ByRyanWood 

#Packers safety Morgan Burnett once again getting nickel LB reps, replacing Jake Ryan. Interesting package. Lots of speed/coverage on field.

It's going slowly so far.

RICHMOND — Grab an ink pen and scratch out the ‘S’ next to Su’a Cravens’s name on your Redskins roster

Don’t bother scribbling in ILB to represent inside linebacker, the position at which he has worked during offseason practices and the first week of training camp. He’s more of that than he is a safety, the position at which the team listed Cravens shortly after drafting him in the second round in April. In truth, Cravens — a 6-foot-1, 222-pound Southern California product, who wears No. 36 to honor his idol, the late Sean Taylor — is probably too athletic and talented to confine to one position. 

So, if you must list something in that column of the roster, just go with ‘A’ for athlete, or ‘PM’ for playmaker. Because that’s the image of Cravens defensive coordinator Joe Barry has dancing in his mind.

“In college he changed positions almost every week. He played safety, he played rover, he played inside, he played outside linebacker,” explained Barry, who recruited Cravens to USC but never got to coach him there. “But [GM Scot McCloughan], when we draft players, does a really good job of asking, ‘Where will he play?’ We don’t get him and then figure out. So my approach from Day 1, was he’s a linebacker. Does he have some traits where he could play safety, or a back-end position? Sure. But I think what would benefit him best was let him play dime linebacker, let’s teach him and throw him into the fire and have him play inside linebacker — the hardest position — in base and see where it goes.”

A closer look at Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens's potential http://wpo.st/gdLs1

It was only the opening preseason game and Cravens only saw time against the Falcons second- and third-string offenses, but the performance was still impressive. He managed to flash solid instincts and athleticism against the run, an ability to make up ground while dropping into coverage and awareness while rushing the passer. He has certainly given himself a platform to build from going into the next week of practices and the second preseason game.

Su'a Cravens ‏@Sua_Cravens

. @Redskins newest 2017 Safety Yal done woke a sleeping giant!!! #PATIENCEwasKEY

2:11 PM - 22 Dec 2016

Edited by mjb03003

Su’a Cravens moving to safety for Redskins

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 23, 2016, 2:56 AM EST

After spending most of his first season as a linebacker, the Washington Redskins plan on moving Su’a Cravens to safety for next season.

According to John Keim of ESPN.com, Cravens is already beginning the process of transitioning to his new position with an eye toward next season.

Cravens appeared in 11 games for Washington this season with three starts after being selected in the second round of the draft back in May. He had 34 tackles with a sack and an interception before a biceps injury has sidelined him last week against the Carolina Panthers.

Cravens has played just 39 percent of Washington’s defensive snaps this season in the 11 games he’s played in. Moving him to a full-time role in the secondary could allow him to become a bigger part of the team’s defense moving into next year.

Thats Whassup!  :thumbup:

Thoughts for this guy this coming year?  MFL projections seems to think ~90 solos is reasonable?

4 hours ago, matttyl said:

Thoughts for this guy this coming year?  MFL projections seems to think ~90 solos is reasonable?

Seems possible. Whitner had 49 in 11 starts. If Cravens averages a solo than Whitner then he's at 88 over 16 games. Su'ua could do that given the limitations of Whitner at this stage of his career. That said, no one last year topped 90 solos on that defense. Only Foster got close with 88. Only three S's topped 90 solo last year at all with Collins, Bethea and Neal. 

4 minutes ago, saintfool said:

Seems possible. Whitner had 49 in 11 starts. If Cravens averages a solo than Whitner then he's at 88 over 16 games. Su'ua could do that given the limitations of Whitner at this stage of his career. That said, no one last year topped 90 solos on that defense. Only Foster got close with 88. Only three S's topped 90 solo last year at all with Collins, Bethea and Neal. 

so, a dynasty add?  I drafted him as a rookie, but had to later drop him when he stayed as a LB.  He's listed as a safety now, so a big bump in value. 

22 minutes ago, matttyl said:

so, a dynasty add?  I drafted him as a rookie, but had to later drop him when he stayed as a LB.  He's listed as a safety now, so a big bump in value. 

You either have short rosters or a short patience level.  Yes, definitely an add.

24 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

You either have short rosters or a short patience level.  Yes, definitely an add.

Both.  10 team, 31 man rosters with IDPs.  Start 1 qb, 1 rb, 2 wrs, 2 flex, 1 te, 1 k, 2 dbs, 2 lbs, and 2 dbs.  When injuries and bye weeks starting hitting hard, it made it harder and harder to hold a part time rookie LB you were hoping would be both full time, and changed back to a DB the following year. 

16 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Both.  

:lol:

:thumbsup: