Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
cheeseypoof

My life after the passing of my wife - Cancer treatments starting tomorrow.

Two weeks after surgery and things are going great.  I've had post op follow up appointments with both the Urologist and Colon Rectal surgeons.  The staples were removed 8 days after surgery.  Both surgeons are extremely pleased with how I'm doing.  At this point I don't need to go back to either doctor, unless another issue arises.

Pathology came back with the expected results.  The cecal mass was not cancerous and the kidney mass was renal cell carcinoma.  The Urologist set up an appointment with an Oncologist at Penn to see if I qualify for any studies/trials for renal cell carcinoma, otherwise there is not further treatment.  I'm willing to participate in a study that involves increased surveillance but don't think I'd want to participate in chemo trial if I don't need to.

Overall I feel great.  No pain.  Minor soreness in my abdomen, mostly when I need to cough.  I'm getting stronger everyday.  Eating regular food with no issues.  I'm amazed at how well, and how quickly, I'm recovering.

Thanks for all the kind words and your continued support.

Cheeseypoof

• Like 29

Sweet! From what I hear, UPenn is a top place to go for healthcare. Glad to hear the recovery is going well

• Like 1

No idea how I missed this whole thread, but what a roller coaster. 

So glad after all this that you and your son are doing well.

28 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Sweet! From what I hear, UPenn is a top place to go for healthcare. Glad to hear the recovery is going well

My stepmother was a surgeon there.  I don't think she is anymore and she didn't do colorectal surgeries anyway, so you wouldn't have crossed paths with her.  Which is good, because she's a wicked old hag that, if given my druthers, I would fling filled colostomy bags at.

Glad things are looking up cheeseypoof.  Keep kicking ### at life, GB.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

update?

Double yes, please. Hope you are doing well. Xxx

Edited by CurlyNight

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

update?

While I'm rooting for the hero of this story, I'm also just a little freaked out that Mr true-crime bumped this.

Just now, El Floppo said:

While I'm rooting for the hero of this story, I'm also just a little freaked out that Mr true-crime bumped this.

:oldunsure:

Just saw this.  I was going update soon.  I will provide a more detailed update after the weekend.  I’m away on a quick road trip to ME for my brothers step sons wedding.

Until then. Everything seems to be going well.  Health is good.  Work is work.  Lol

My son is good.  Getting ready to graduate culinary school.

Personal life is good.  3 months into a new relationship.  Really like the direction it’s going.

All in all life is on a good roll.

• Like 24

Glad things are well....scares me seeing these threads bumped 

For this very reason I don’t bump my wife’s thread when things are going well(don’t want to freak people out) 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

Just saw this.  I was going update soon.  I will provide a more detailed update after the weekend.  I’m away on a quick road trip to ME for my brothers step sons wedding.

Until then. Everything seems to be going well.  Health is good.  Work is work.  Lol

My son is good.  Getting ready to graduate culinary school.

Personal life is good.  3 months into a new relationship.  Really like the direction it’s going.

All in all life is on a good roll.

?‍♀️?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

Ok here is a more detailed update.

June 24th will be 2 years since my wife passed away.

June 17th will be 5 months since my surgery.

Start with my son.  He was diagnosed as a type diabetic in October.  He's doing very managing his sugar.  He is about ready to graduate Culinary School at the end of June/beginning of July.  His class leaves for a week in England the lat week of June (part of the tuition).  He's going to a Gordon Ramsey Michelin 3 star restaurant for dinner/wine flight while there.  If he has free time and can work it out, he wants to watch a World Cup game in an English Pub.  Next step is for him to find a job.  Claims he's looking.  We'll see.  LOL

Now for me.  Think I posted this, but I'll recap (don't feel like rereading the thread).  In January I had Open Right Radical Nephrectomy (removal of the right kidney due to Renal Cell Carcinoma) and partial right Colectomy (removal of a mass in the right side of my colon, non cancerous).  In and out of the hospital 5 days.  Out of work for 5 weeks.  First set of scans post surgery in April were good.  No evidence of any remaining cancer.  Next scan are in July (due to my increased risk of recurrence they are doing more frequent monitoring.  Standard is every 6 months, I going every 4 for at least the first year).  I'm feeling really good.  Knock on wood.  

Work is basically the same.  Good days and irritating days, but overall I enjoy going to work.

Biggest change is in my personal life.  After a failed attempt at dating in the fall (short 2 month relationship I thought was going well when she pulled the plug.  She broke it off just as my health issues were emerging.  Not sure it had any thing to do with it, or if it was coincidence.  But that's neither here or there. Water under the bridge at this point). So after that, I was focusing on my health.  

With that being said, my son and I went to visit a friend in the hospital in NYC at the end of February.  While in NY, we took the opportunity to drive out to Long Island and watch 2 of his friends (Maddie and Amanda) that bowl for their college in a tournament.  After the tournament he and I went to dinner with the parents of his friends (the team went back to their hotel, so just the parents went out).  Drove home after dinner and thought nothing of it.  Got a text from Maddie's mother (Lisa) saying Caroline (Amanda's mother) was asking about me when they went back to their hotel after dinner.  I've known Caroline for a couple of years as my son and Amanda have bowled together and agains one another.  The following morning I got another text from Lisa saying Carline was asking about me again at breakfast.  Maddie and Amanda's team was bowling in another tournament in South Jersey the following weekend.  I thought about what to do that entire week and ultimately decided I would ask Caroline to dinner just to see if there was anything there.

That Monday we went to dinner.  It went well and we agreed to go out the following week.  Well we've been dating since (3 months today).  It's going very well.  We just returned from a very short trip to Maine to attend the wedding of my brother's step son.  First time traveling together.  Spent 48 hours together and we're still speaking.  LOL  We've talked and we both like the direction it's going and have been introducing the other to our respective family and friends.  We're moving a little slower than I would like, but admit it's probably better this way.  

So overall I really like the direction my life is taking right now.  Just hoping the positive continues.  I've had enough of the negative for a while.

Cheesypoof  

That's outstanding. Really happy for you, pal. :thumbup:

• Like 3

Awesome! Best to go slow in relationships. I don't get the rush in them unless the woman's bio clock is ticking, maybe..

So enjoy each day, one day at a time. As you know, something like a serious health issue can change things.

So happy for you! Take care, and contined good health and happy life wishes to you. Xxx

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Awesome! Best to go slow in relationships. I don't get the rush in them unless the woman's bio clock is ticking, maybe..

So enjoy each day, one day at a time. As you know, something like a serious health issue can change things.

So happy for you! Take care, and contined good health and happy life wishes to you. Xxx

Thank you.  I'm learning.  Patience isn't my strong suit!!!  :wall::lmao::thumbup:

Awesome update cheezy!  Hope nothing but the best for you going forward!!!

Edited by Steeler
Lots of wine - lol
  • Like 1

So very happy for you and I know it is early, but I met my husband through bowling friends as well. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Utterly fantastic update. You've had enough downs that you deserve every up that comes your way and then some. 

May that arrow continue to point up for you every single day.

• Like 2

Always keep your head up and have a good outlook on life.  If you don’t love yourself nobody will.  I have been following this since day one.  You  are a strong powerful man and don’t forget it.  Until you believe that, no one else will.  Keep that chin up and use this as a forum to show us how you do.  Thx for the update!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Utterly fantastic update. You've had enough downs that you deserve every up that comes your way and then some. 

May that arrow continue to point up for you every single day.

Thank you! :thumbup:

4 hours ago, sbonomo said:

Always keep your head up and have a good outlook on life.  If you don’t love yourself nobody will.  I have been following this since day one.  You  are a strong powerful man and don’t forget it.  Until you believe that, no one else will.  Keep that chin up and use this as a forum to show us how you do.  Thx for the update!

Thank you.  I’m trying! :thumbup:

Great update.

My unsolicited dating advice, let it casually drop that you're currently 9-5 in a NASCAR fantasy league.  Chicks dig winners :thumbup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eephus said:

Great update.

My unsolicited dating advice, let it casually drop that you're currently 9-5 in a NASCAR fantasy league.  Chicks dig winners :thumbup:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

So we're all wondering. How often have you hugged her?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:  There has been some hugging, but not as much as I'd like :wall:   Did I mention taking it slow?  LOL

• Like 3

i haven't read the whole thread but it seems you found a new lady.  may i suggest making her a mix tape to seal the deal?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

So we're all wondering. How often have you hugged her?

I mean, I was trying to be respectful of his slow-play here. 

Well done, cheesy. Glad to hear the good update, GB. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear everything is going well.

I think your life over the past year is a great example on how things can (and do) get better. People just to hang in there and stay positive, even if it's difficult at times. Nice job.

• Like 1