What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL 2016 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
One of my favorite threads is back for another edition. Once again I will be posting training camp and preseason news from any sources that I come across.  I'm kicking off a little earlier this year to include coverage on OTAs and minicamps.

I also appreciate the contributions that are made to this thread from all other FBG members and in years past there have been many who cover their local teams who have helped to make this thread a great success. 

Please feel free to add commentary or camp battles that you are interested in following or links to any other threads and news articles that will help make this the best source for ongoing information prior to the kick-off on the 2016 NFL season.

Prior years:

OFFICIAL 2015 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

OFFICIAL 2014 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

OFFICIAL 2013 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

* OFFICIAL * 2012 Training Camp / Preseason News & Tidbits Thread

2011 Training Camp / Preseason Observations, News & Tidbits Thread

Training Camp & Preseason Observations

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll praised seventh-round WR Kenny Lawler for his performance on the first day of rookie minicamps.
"He must have caught four balls that were terrific catches," Carroll said. "He's a guy that is noted for tremendous catching range, and he had four spectacular opportunities today, and he made them all. So I was really fired up for that." We normally have to wait until the summer for glowing shirts-and-shorts reports, but Carroll got the ball rolling early this year. Lawler flashed excellent ball skills at Cal, but he is a limited athlete who will struggle to be anything more than a possession receiver in the NFL.

Source: ESPN 
May 7 - 11:26 AM

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he sees some of Russell Wilson's game in UDFA Trevone Boykin.
"His versatility and his style of play is so similar to Russell’s," Carroll said. "He’s got a big arm. He’s a very creative athlete. He’s got great instincts and great vision. His ability to run and make people miss and get out of trouble is very similar to what Russell does." A standout at TCU, Boykin had other offers as an undrafted free agent, but he called the decision to sign with the Seahawks a "no-brainer." If Boykin can develop into a quality backup, he would allow Seattle to maintain a similar playing style even if Wilson goes down.

May 7 - 11:00 AM

Sixth-round pick Keenan Reynolds worked at receiver in rookie minicamp.
It confirms what Reynolds said during the draft. Reynolds is undersized and ran 4.57 at his Pro Day, but the Ravens plan to develop him as a slot receiver. Reynolds is also competing to be Baltimore's punt returner.

Source: Baltimore Sun 
May 7 - 2:49 PM

Browns coach Hue Jackson said third-round QB Cody Kessler "did some outstanding things" at rookie minicamp.
Jackson also kept up the appearance -- some might say charade -- Kessler has a chance to earn the starting job. "It's too soon to say that he can't," said Jackson. "It's too soon to say that he will." It would be surprising if Kessler emerged from training camp as the starter, but it is clear Jackson is enamored with the young quarterback.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
May 14 - 10:08 AM

Redskins seventh-round pick Keith Marshall played behind Mack Brown at rookie minicamp this weekend.
Brown was on the Redskins' practice squad last year. Marshall was favoring his leg a bit after tweaking his hamstring on Friday. That might explain his relatively light workload. Marshall said his knee is completely healthy after battling injuries for much of his time at the University of Georgia. The Redskins have already committed to Matt Jones as their every-down back for 2016. That leaves few opportunities for Marshall to contribute in year one.

Source: Washington Post 
May 15 - 9:25 AM

Tyrod Taylor mentioned Leonard Hankerson and Greg Salas as two players who have looked strong in offseason activities.
Both will get more reps this summer with Sammy Watkins sidelined by a broken foot. Hankerson joined the Bills at the end of last season after being claimed off waivers from New England. Salas caught three balls for 41 yards in his last two regular season games and could end up replacing Chris Hogan in the slot. Watkins expects to be ready for Week 1. Buffalo led the AFC in rushing attempts last season, rendering the pass-catcher corps hands-off beyond Watkins in fantasy leagues.

Source: bills.com 
May 20 - 2:24 PM

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini called UDFA WR Jalin Marshall a "player to watch" this summer.
Marshall received a $12,500 signing bonus from the Jets, an unusually high number for an undrafted free agent. The Ohio State alum is very much a project but his expertise on returns could lead to playing time right away. Last year, the Jets ranked 26th out of 32 teams in kick return average.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 22 - 9:20 AM

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon called RB Terrell Watson "a legitimate dark horse" for carries.
Signed by the Bengals as an UDFA out of Division II Azusa Pacific last season, Watson followed Hue Jackson to Cleveland. Watson put up huge numbers in college, but he is an upright runner who developed bad habits playing against inferior competition. His chances of making a fantasy impact this season remain remote.

May 23 - 11:05 PM

Faust said:
ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon called RB Terrell Watson "a legitimate dark horse" for carries.
Signed by the Bengals as an UDFA out of Division II Azusa Pacific last season, Watson followed Hue Jackson to Cleveland. Watson put up huge numbers in college, but he is an upright runner who developed bad habits playing against inferior competition. His chances of making a fantasy impact this season remain remote.
I mentioned Terrell Watson in another thread, and I am stoked to see this.

I highly encourage others to watch the youtube clips on this kid. Extremely likeable, and his path to the NFL has not been an easy one.

Interesting note- He was on the Cincy P.S. and Hue Jackson went out of his way to get this kid, it was one of the first moves he set in motion when he came to Cleveland.

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned Terrell Watson in another thread, and I am stoked to see this.

I highly encourage others to watch the youtube clips on this kid. Extremely likeable, and his path to the NFL has not been an easy one.

Interesting note- He was on the Cincy P.S. and Hue Jackson went out of his way to get this kid, it was one of the first moves he set in motion when he came to Cleveland.
Because of his size comparison to J. Hill, I grabbed him as my #4 RB. Hue has no loyalty to The Crow. This guy may get a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread