What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Riley (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
I've never felt like this in my entire life. She's been in NICU since Friday after having a seizure. Cat scan determined she suffered a stroke. Haven't cried this much in my life. I went from being on cloud 9 to wanting to crawl in a hole and die. Doctors still aren't saying much. They still say everything is too early to tell. She's on anti seizure meds now and hasn't had any since Friday except for some non clinical seizures. She's basically been sleeping for three days now. I just looking for some hope. Internet seems to be full of positive stories. I wish the doctors gave us some hope rather than saying it's too early. When neurologist told me she suffered a stroke I asked is that as bad as it sounds? Her response was, well it's not good. I wanted to punch her in the throat.

No clue when she's getting out of nicu. I feel bad leaving her but have a six year old I have to take care of too. NICU nurses are amazing and I know she's in good hands. I have parental leave available at work but not sure if I should save it for when she comes home or just take it now to be with her in NICU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes. My friend gave birth to a girl with a hole in her heart. She survived and is ripping it down at age two. I'm hoping the fates are similar, shady. 

shady best wishes to you and your wife and daughter stay strong and get through this you are in everyones thoughts and prayers here 

So sorry shady - I can't pretend to know what you are going through but thoughts and prayers your way.  Stay strong for you wife.  

Everything I read says babies brains are just forming at this stage so she can recover better than adults
Adults recover from strokes all the time. Anesthesiologist just had one and hes now back at work. Shocking what babies can recover from with no ill effects.

That has to be terrifying, especially the uncertainty. Thought and prayers for you and your family.

Do they know what caused it in the first place?

Man, not that there's any time that it would be OK, but having that happen right before Mother's Day has to be extra hurtful right now too I would imagine.

Scary ### #### but there's a lot of cause for optimism.  Obviously not an ideal start, but there's a real good chance everything will be fine.  

I think saving your time for when she's back home is the best bet.  Those nurses are ace and there's prob not much you can do.  

That has to be terrifying, especially the uncertainty. Thought and prayers for you and your family.

Do they know what caused it in the first place?
My wife has a genetic disease that only 1000 women in the world have. It's called Incontentia Pigmenti. The complications are often cosmetic, skin. Hair, teeth, poor vision, and in rare cases neurological. We knew the baby had it before she was born because we tested for it. We were prepared for it we thought but I did not realize she could suffer a stroke and the neurological symptoms were considered low chance of happening. My wife didn't have seizures as a baby.

Hang in there. Shady. As others have said, they're resilient. Similar happened to my niece years ago (seizures) - she came through fine. 

Jesus, brother. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Just remember that there are positive outcomes here. My wife had problems at birth so severe that the doctor told her parents she probably would never walk and might not ever talk either. Fast forward 40 years and her legs are fine and she never shuts the f--- up.  I believe your little girl is going to be OK too. My thoughts are with you, GB. Hang in there. 

I understand what you're going through.  My son was born with severe hemophilia and suffered several febrile seizures in his first couple of years.  The seizures are now a thing of the past though and he's a happy, healthy 8 year old boy.  Wishing you the best in this tough time.  

Good luck Shady, you doing awesome! Best wishes and it's amazing what modern medicine can do, I am a survivor because of it when I was a preemie with non developed lungs. 

not sure if I should save it for when she comes home or just take it now to be with her in NICU.
My woman is a director at a foremost Childrens hospital and her opinion (and she got emotional when I relayed your story, she deals with such things like this everyday)...

You use your time now. Every minute is critical. (she teared up while saying this to me) Every moment, even 5 or 10 minutes, away for signatures/registration/food/visits/anything is important. Your hopeful and caring presence can help. You have more love and concern then anyone in the world and she is in a place where she needs everything that can be helpful.  You know you are needed right now. So do what little (or a lot) you know you can do... and that is the very moment you are currently in.

My woman is a director at a foremost Childrens hospital and her opinion (and she got emotional when I relayed your story, she deals with such things like this everyday)...

You use your time now. Every minute is critical. (she teared up while saying this to me) Every moment, even 5 or 10 minutes, away for signatures/registration/food/visits/anything is important. Your hopeful and caring presence can help. You have more love and concern then anyone in the world and she is in a place where she needs everything that can be helpful.  You know you are needed right now. So do what little (or a lot) you know you can do... and that is the very moment you are currently in.
:goodposting:

when my first daughter was born, laying under the heat lamp, crying like, well, a baby i started chatting with her.. thinking.. she can't possibly understand or react but sure as #### she was trying to track my voice and calmed right down as i talked. they know you're there even if it doesn't seem like it. they've been hearing your voice for months.

gllllllllllllll gb

Ah man T&P to your family and especially your little one.  Take some solace in the fact that small children are amazingly resilient, and times like this are when we should all be thankful that so many of our best and brightest become doctors and researchers.

Hold fast Shady.

Users who are viewing this thread