What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Republic of the Philippines have a new President (1 Viewer)

Rodrigo Duterte

Footballguy
"The Punisher", aka Duterte Harry, won in a landslide with over 80% of the population voting.  This should be interesting, as he is all business. 

It's a 6 year term.

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Footballguys message board!  What is your favorite team?  What RBs are you looking to take in the first round this year?

This guy..........

Philippine president-elect urges public to kill drug dealers

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine president-elect has encouraged the public to help him in his war against crime, urging citizens with guns to shoot and kill drug dealers who resist arrest and fight back in their neighborhoods.

In a nationally televised speech late Saturday, Rodrigo Duterte told a huge crowd in the southern city of Davao that Filipinos who help him battle crime will be rewarded.

"Please feel free to call us, the police, or do it yourself if you have the gun — you have my support," Duterte said, warning of an extensive illegal drug trade that involves even the country's police.

If a drug dealer resists arrest or refuses to be brought to a police station and threatens a citizen with a gun or a knife, "you can kill him," Duterte said. "Shoot him and I'll give you a medal."

The 71-year-old Duterte won the May 9 presidential election on a bold promise to end crime and corruption within six months of the start of his presidency. That vow resonated among crime-weary Filipinos, though police officials considered it campaign rhetoric that was impossible to accomplish.

Human rights watchdogs have expressed alarm that his anti-crime drive may lead to widespread rights violations.

Duterte, a longtime Davao mayor, has been suspected of playing a role in many killings of suspected criminals in his city by motorcycle-riding assassins known as the "Davao death squads," but human rights watchdogs say he has not been criminally charged because nobody has dared to testify against him in court

In his speech on Saturday, Duterte asked three police generals based in the main national police camp in the capital to resign for involvement in crimes that he did not specify. He threatened to humiliate them in public if they did not quit and said he would order a review of dismissed criminal cases of active policemen, suggesting some may have bribed their way back onto the force.

"They go back again crucifying the Filipino," he said. "I won't agree to that."

"If you're still into drugs, I will kill you, don't take this as a joke. I'm not trying to make you laugh, son of a #####, I will really kill you," Duterte said to loud jeers and applause.

The foul-mouthed former government prosecutor said crimes were committed by law enforcers because of "extreme greed and extreme need." He said that he would provide a small amount to an officer who was tempted because his wife has cancer or a mother died, but that those who would break the law because of extreme greed "will also be dealt with by me. I'll have you killed."

Duterte, who starts his six-year presidential term on June 30, repeated a plan to offer huge bounties to those who can turn in drug lords, dead or alive.

While it remains to be seen what will happen to his threats when he takes office, some policemen have heeded his call for a tougher anti-crime approach.

In suburban Las Pinas city in the Manila metropolis, police have apprehended more than 100 minors who defied a night curfew, and men who were either having drinking sprees in public or roaming around shirtless in violation of a local ordinance. The crackdown was dubbed "Oplan Rody" — after Duterte's nickname — or "Rid the Streets of Drinkers and Youth."

This guy sounds like a real charmer.  Is he orange and does he have small hands by any chance?

Sounds like a real nice fella:

Mr Duterte spoke at a rally in Quezon City, where he was filmed joking and making crude comments about the rape and murder of Jacquelline Hamill, who was taken hostage, raped and killed during a siege in 1989.

He implied the death of Ms Hamill was "a waste" because of her beauty, and said the mayor "should have been first" to rape her. 

In a video uploaded to YouTube, Mr Duterte can be seen describing seeing Ms Hamill’s body, and saying: “I looked at her face – son of a b**ch- what a waste. 

“I was so angry because she was raped, that’s one thing… but she was so beautiful, the mayor should have been first. What a waste.”

Nice guy. He'll be assasinated
He won the election in a landslide. They love him in the Phils. 

Davao City was a #### hole when he took over as mayor in 1988 and now it is the 5th safest city in the world. He has also been a big supporter of LGBT and Muslim rights (ironic pairing I know) and helped them with roles in his government. He is a proponent of children's rights, women's rights, environmental protection, and implemented a famous smoking ban.

It is easy for Americans to hate on him because the media (and apparently John Oliver) tells them to but he is a man of the people in his home country and his leadership has been very effective. I would say his stance on drug dealers is pretty tame similar compared to many other Asian and Middle Eastern countries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He already laid down the gauntlet

All of you who are into drugs, you sons of #####es, I will really kill you," Duterte, 71, a former prosecutor, told a rally. "I have no patience, I have no middle ground, either you kill me or I will kill you idiots."

Statements such as that have won him the nickname "Duterte Harry," a reference to the Clint Eastwood movie character "Dirty Harry" who had little regard for rules. He has also been compared to Donald Trump, the U.S. Republican presumptive presidential nominee.

He won the election in a landslide. They love him in the Phils. 

Davao City was a #### hole when he took over as mayor in 1988 and now it is the 5th safest city in the world. He has also been a big supporter of LGBT and Muslim rights (ironic pairing I know) and helped them with roles in his government. He is a proponent of children's rights, women's rights, environmental protection, and implemented a famous smoking ban.

It is easy for Americans to hate on him because the media (and apparently John Oliver) tells them to but he is a man of the people in his home country and his leadership has been very effective. I would say his stance on drug dealers is pretty tame similar compared to many other Asian and Middle Eastern countries. 
I don't know him. Just figured the mob or drug cartel would off him

He kind of reminds me of one of the old West Sheriff figures. A guy who is a bit lawless himself that is needed to bring law. Not giving an endorsement of him or saying I like him but on the other hand, it is kind of easy to judge other nations struggling with high levels of crime and rampant corruption from the US. I can understand, being empathetic to their situation, why the Filipinos are turning to him.

He IS a nice guy.  Unless you're a criminal.  He has a long track record of helping the people and doing what's right.  Politicians and drug lords have raped the Philippines endlessly and it will only continue.  The people have no chance against them.  Zero.  

Yes Duterte has a radical stance against crime and corruption that may not sit well in other people's eyes (mostly foreigners going off headlines).  But his mission has clearly worked in turning around Davao -- once one of the most dangerous cities in the world.  And the people of the Philippines are now firmly behind him.  Again, they've had enough.  What are they supposed to do, continue voting for all the corruption that keeps holding them down? 

Generations go by and nothing changes.  Just more poverty and despair.  And crime.  Lots of crime.  Everywhere you look.  Finally, one gets so desperate that if fighting fire with fire is your last recourse, then so be it.  At this point, they're lucky to even have that option. 

Unfortunately, you may be right about the assassinated part.  But believe him when he says he is willing to die for his country.  Many say that.  Very few mean it.

Saw him at the mall one time while he was mayor of Davao. Real laid back, davao type of dude.

He kind of reminds me of one of the old West Sheriff figures. A guy who is a bit lawless himself that is needed to bring law. Not giving an endorsement of him or saying I like him but on the other hand, it is kind of easy to judge other nations struggling with high levels of crime and rampant corruption from the US. I can understand, being empathetic to their situation, why the Filipinos are turning to him.
Kinda how I feel. Parts of that country are pretty messed up. Can't compare it to the states, really. Will be fascinating to see how his term goes. 

Link

Guy has been a man of his word if nothing else. Hundreds are being killed. 
there was a series of news articles world-wide a few weeks ago about this... 1,800 killed according to them. users and dealers were asked to turn themselves in... who knows what's happening to them. those that didn't- sounds like its open season... and not just from the cops.

The worst part of his plan is that it equates users with dealers and condemns them all to the same fate.

He is fighting something(s) that is long thought to be nigh impossible to fight in that country.  Thus says a big family of American-Filipinos that I speak to.

If he doesn't play it at full tilt -- he cant fix anything within that system.

Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte declared his "separation" from longstanding ally the United States in Beijing on Thursday, as he rebalances his country's diplomacy towards China.

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip seen as confirming his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing's sphere of influence -- and its deep pockets.

"I announce my separation from the United States," he said to applause at a meeting in the Chinese capital.

"America does not control our lives. Enough bull####," he added in a rambling speech that flipped between languages.

"How can you be the most powerful industrial country when you owe China and you are not paying it?"

His comments came after he met his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People on Tiananmen Square, with the two men pledging to enhance trust and friendship, while playing down a maritime dispute.

Xi called the two countries "neighbours across the sea" with "no reason for hostility or confrontation", the official Xinhua news agency said.

Under Duterte's predecessor Benigno Aquino the two countries were at loggerheads over the South China Sea -- where Beijing has built a series of artificial islands -- but since taking office in June the new head of state has changed course.

In a statement, the Chinese foreign ministry cited Xi as telling Duterte their emotional foundation of friendly good neighbourliness was unchanged, and difficult topics of discussion "could be shelved temporarily".

Duterte called the meeting "historic", it added.

His visit to Beijing capped a series of recent declarations blasting the US and President Barack Obama.

Addressing the Filipino community in Beijing Wednesday, the firebrand leader said the Philippines had gained little from its long alliance with the US, its former colonial ruler.

He also repeated his denunciation of Obama as a "son of a whore".

China, he said earlier, was "good". "It has never invaded a piece of my country all these generations."

- 'Candid and friendly' -

Duterte has also suspended joint US-Philippine patrols in the strategically vital South China Sea, and has threatened an end to joint military exercises.

The South China Sea is of intense interest to Washington and it has repeatedly spoken out on the various territorial disputes between China and its neighbours over the waters.

Tensions have risen between the US and China over Washington's so-called "pivot" to the Asia-Pacific, a move that Beijing says is intended to contain it.

In 2012, China seized control of Scarborough Shoal, a fishing ground in the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.

In a case brought by Aquino, the Philippines won a resounding victory at an international tribunal earlier this year over Beijing's extensive territorial maritime claims in the area, infuriating the Asian giant.

But Duterte, who took office in June shortly before the tribunal ruling, has made a point of not flaunting the outcome.

Asked whether the leaders had discussed the South China Sea, the foreign ministry's spokesperson Hua Chunying said they had a "candid and friendly exchange of views on how to resolve relevant disputes".

Their meeting represented a "return to the right track of dialogue and consultation" she said, adding China was willing to make "relevant arrangements" to cooperate on fishery issues.

- 'Full recovery' -

The meeting between Xi and Duterte marked a "full recovery" of the "traditional friendship" between the two countries, Chinese vice minister Liu Zhenmin said, according to a transcript released by the Philippine president's office.

They oversaw the signing of 13 bilateral cooperation documents on business, infrastructure, and agriculture, among other fields, he added.

Beijing also has offered the Philippines a $9 billion soft loan for development projects, a statement from the Philippine presidential press office said.

About $15 million of the promised loans will be earmarked for drug rehabilitation programmes amid Duterte's anti-drug campaign, which has killed thousands of people and raised concern abroad of human rights violations.

China will also lift bans on 27 Philippine tropical fruit export companies. Previous sanctions on fruit were intended to punish Manila for its South China Sea stance.
This guy is a touch unstable.

The U.S. could use a dictator (no not Trump).  But someone less crazy. Too many people running our country to get anything accomplished. Too many voters voting for the person that promises them things that put the country in a financial mess.

Users who are viewing this thread