What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

Tried going for a slow jog alongside my daughter bike riding. Immediately the knee and ankle were killing me. I ran about 20 feet and walked the rest of the way. Ugh. I’ve obviously overdone it. 

Thinking about maybe just passing on the gym and running for a few weeks and just focusing 100% on diet/restricting calories and getting sleep and rest.  If I do that for a month and lose 10lbs, I can come back healed and lighter and leaner with a little less stress on the joints, and then when I get back to the gym and try running again I’ll be ready to get after it. 
this is a terrible idea.  keep moving.  swimming is a great fall back.  go swim 10 laps and get back to me.  #### aint easy.

i've started working out a zillion times.  then, i'd over do it and hurt myself.  ok, no problem!  rest, recover, get back at it!!  except, it just kept happening.  i'd feel great again and GO FOR IT!!  hurt again.  rinse, repeat.  with longer and longer breaks.  i had to, and still have to, realize that i'm not 25 anymore.  enter things like the elliptical   :pickle:   the main reason i tried it out, is there's an ex NFL player, that goes to my gym.  he's a freaking anatomy poster.  dude is RIPPED.  he warms up 3 days a week on the elliptical.  if he's doing it, why not me?  he also, never lifts heavy.  he does all sorts of goofy looking exercises , always compounded, that involve a lot of total body movement.

today, i ran stairs for 5 minutes, elliptical for 10, ski machine for 10, 240 running step ups, 300 bicycle kicks, and a chest and back workout.  kept the weights light and put very little stress on my knees.  10 minute sauna to finish.  986 calories burned, according to the app(i need to recalibrate this, it's giving me too much credit).  33:30 minutes with a heart rate above 146.  i'll take it.

eat less, move more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between tweaking my knee, planning for the 10k I did this past weekend and the overtraining (you guys we’re right) I’ve felt like a slug the last couple of weeks.  The good news is my race went well, my knee feels ok and I feel fairly rested.

Now the bad news - yesterday was one of my least favorite days of the year.  I absolutely despise the time change and what it does to my schedule and my mental outlook.  I’m in such a better spot now than basically I have ever been in my adult life so I’m very confident but I’m also fearful.  I have to change some things up to keep my momentum.  I have several ideas but would love input from you guys on things that maybe work for you.  I’m definitely going back to my OPERATION SIX PACK nonsense, as I was getting some results.  Just not every day - was just too much. 
do the plank challenge.  it will help with the six pack part.  

Tried going for a slow jog alongside my daughter bike riding. Immediately the knee and ankle were killing me. I ran about 20 feet and walked the rest of the way. Ugh. I’ve obviously overdone it. 

Thinking about maybe just passing on the gym and running for a few weeks and just focusing 100% on diet/restricting calories and getting sleep and rest.  If I do that for a month and lose 10lbs, I can come back healed and lighter and leaner with a little less stress on the joints, and then when I get back to the gym and try running again I’ll be ready to get after it. 
Where is your knee pain?

Oh and

”3)  Poor Training Techniques
Training errors such as sudden increases in distance or intensity, not warming up and inadequate stretching can over stress the area.”

Just below the knee on the inside. Best I could figure out is this:

https://www.knee-pain-explained.com/pes-anserine-bursitis.html

Today I felt great when I woke up. By the end of the day it was really aching, uncomfortable to walk down steps, etc. 
Try these

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE-Brand-Knee-Strap-Adjustable-Black-1-Pack/23554623?athpgid=athenaItempage_22150843&athctxid&athcpid=23554623&atlmtid=BuyTogetherValue&athcgid&athena=true&athieid=v0&athbktid&athstid=CS002&athguid=98794e28-0da-16e394fcf670bb

Solved most of my knee issues when I started running. Also go to Fleet Feet and get fitted for new shoes. 

Oh and

”3)  Poor Training Techniques
Training errors such as sudden increases in distance or intensity, not warming up and inadequate stretching can over stress the area.”
I’m leaning against this given your “leg days” you’ve been getting in

Thanks, just bought two. 

Also, I just bought new running sneakers. I wonder if that could be a cause here. Hmm. 

Thanks, just bought two. 

Also, I just bought new running sneakers. I wonder if that could be a cause here. Hmm. 
new shoes are always a crap shoot.  they might be a contributing factor.  i have custom insoles, from a podiatrist.   :bag:   2 pairs.

Shtick?  I have been doing leg days for a while; and no issues. 
No. I think you’ve been sensible about your mileage. Your leg days should have strengthened your muscles and stabilizers sufficiently enough that your knees shouldn’t be seeing this much pain at this mileage. You also mentioned that you walk a lot too. Could be over use but I’m not leaning that way. 

Also when I start getting knee pain, a week of leg weight training helps alot

Thanks, just bought two. 

Go to fleet feet. They’ll figure out if you under or over pronate and your foot strike heel or mid foot or front foot and put you in the right shoe. There are also shoes like Hoka One One that are highly cushioned which might help. Hopefully you didn’t buy racing flats. 

I think it's probably a combination of poor equipment (shoes), doing too much too fast, and tight muscles. 

Doing some leg stretching (especially hamstrings) which are probably chronically tight for you could do wonders and certainly won't hurt. Get some good shoes as recommended and then get back out there slowly. 

No. I think you’ve been sensible about your mileage. Your leg days should have strengthened your muscles and stabilizers sufficiently enough that your knees shouldn’t be seeing this much pain at this mileage. You also mentioned that you walk a lot too. Could be over use but I’m not leaning that way. 

Also when I start getting knee pain, a week of leg weight training helps alot
Yeah. I’ve been doing leg days 1-2 days a week for a good two years, without any pain or incident. And I walk a ton for my commute. (Hard, days walking, and up and down subway stairs etc). 

I wonder if this is just a “using different muscles” issue. When I played basketball last year for the first time in probably a decade, I could barely walk for two weeks my knees hurt so badly. Could just be something where I need to take it really slow. Run for a week, week off, until I build up whatever in there is hurting. 

I also have a bum ankle on that same side. Just tore ligaments and sprains in multiple basketball injuries in high school. Wonder if that’s causing me to favor it and somehow run in a way that is putting awkward strain on my knee. 

Damn, knee is sore after the morning commute. Didn’t have that issue yesterday. Will pop an Aleve. 

I’m in Asia all next week for work, so I figure I’ll take off this week and next. Maybe do some stretching and pushups etc in my hotel room next week.  Hopefully upon my return I’ll be good to give this another go. 

Damn, knee is sore after the morning commute. Didn’t have that issue yesterday. Will pop an Aleve. 

I’m in Asia all next week for work, so I figure I’ll take off this week and next. Maybe do some stretching and pushups etc in my hotel room next week.  Hopefully upon my return I’ll be good to give this another go. 
Low cal Aleve?

How's your face feeling?

Otis said:
Yeah. I’ve been doing leg days 1-2 days a week for a good two years, without any pain or incident. And I walk a ton for my commute. (Hard, days walking, and up and down subway stairs etc). 

I wonder if this is just a “using different muscles” issue. When I played basketball last year for the first time in probably a decade, I could barely walk for two weeks my knees hurt so badly. Could just be something where I need to take it really slow. Run for a week, week off, until I build up whatever in there is hurting. 

I also have a bum ankle on that same side. Just tore ligaments and sprains in multiple basketball injuries in high school. Wonder if that’s causing me to favor it and somehow run in a way that is putting awkward strain on my knee. 
it's called getting old.  and again, the walking you're doing, while a net positive, is not cardio that is going to keep you lean and mean.  and you're correct in the assumption that new activities will hurt, while the normal walking won't.  yet another symptom of aging.   :mellow:   

Otis said:

hotel should have an elliptical.   :pickle:   my hotel in cabo, had 3!  

@krista4 @AAABatteries @Terminalxylem

plank challenge.  

let's do a low plank, starting at :10 seconds, as the challenge dictates.  this way, anyone that has never done them, can join in!

who else wants to do it??
I'm in.

I don't post much in thread but I follow along. I've lost ~25 pounds since the beginning of the year.  I hit my goal weight of 199 in May (IIRC) and have been holding pretty steady ever since.  My diet is pretty much under control as I am able to rebound from cheat days/weekends by focusing back on what works for me.  Anyway, I haven't been able to stick to a workout routine for one reason or another so this challenge provides another opportunity.  Let's do it!

it's called getting old.  and again, the walking you're doing, while a net positive, is not cardio that is going to keep you lean and mean.  and you're correct in the assumption that new activities will hurt, while the normal walking won't.  yet another symptom of aging.   :mellow:   
Potential for injury goes up as we age, but I don’t think there should be an expectation of having pain just because you’re getting older. If the pain isn’t due to injury or arthritis, it will pass as your body adapts to the new activity. Rest will be necessary if Otis has injured himself, but it won’t make arthritis go away or cure soreness, so it’s important to figure out why he has the pain.

Potential for injury goes up as we age, but I don’t think there should be an expectation of having pain just because you’re getting older. If the pain isn’t due to injury or arthritis, it will pass as your body adapts to the new activity. Rest will be necessary if Otis has injured himself, but it won’t make arthritis go away or cure soreness, so it’s important to figure out why he has the pain.
tomato, tomatoe.  if i go bowling, something i never do, i will be more sore now, than when i was 25.  @Otis is sore, IMO, because he pushed it too far, too fast.  he might have a serious injury, but i doubt it.  new shoes + new activity + alpha mentality + slightly over weight + getting older = pissed off muscle group/joint.  rest, ice and most importantly, easing into new activities, should solve the problem.

tomato, tomatoe.  if i go bowling, something i never do, i will be more sore now, than when i was 25.  @Otis is sore, IMO, because he pushed it too far, too fast.  he might have a serious injury, but i doubt it.  new shoes + new activity + alpha mentality + slightly over weight + getting older = pissed off muscle group/joint.  rest, ice and most importantly, easing into new activities, should solve the problem.
I agree with all this.  I didn’t think I was pushing it, but maybe I did.  Who would have thought the impact of a slow jog would cause such problems.

JEEZ IF ONLY I HAD PREDICTED THAT TEN PAGES AGO

DA RAIDERS said:
What’s the starting duration?

Do a plank everyday, starting duration to be determined. Increase the time, every day, by 5-10 seconds, until you hit 5 minutes. 

Plank challenge

i did a low low plank last time. Low or high?
Oh, OK!  I will do this, too.  

What I did before was on an app.  I think if you search "30 day plank" in the App Store it comes up.  The icon looks like this, and the landing page like this.  There are beginner, intermediate, and expert options; first time I did the beginner and this time (starting today) I'll do the intermediate.  It's not just holding one plank but rotating through a bunch of different types.  On Day 30 of the beginner, you get about 12 minutes of total planking IIRC.  Looks like there will be 18 minutes total on Day 30 of the intermediate.   :scared:   The side planks with arms straight absolutely killed me.

Anyway, I'm going to do that plus separately will do the one you're describing on days it's not already covered in my daily planks on the app.  

ETA:  Also anyone should please join in the app one, too, if you wish!

@krista4 @AAABatteries @Terminalxylem

plank challenge.  

let's do a low plank, starting at :10 seconds, as the challenge dictates.  this way, anyone that has never done them, can join in!

who else wants to do it??
Fell behind in this thread.  I'm in.   Will do a plank every day adding at least 10 seconds each day.   Will add it to my daily 15 minute stretching routine that I have been doing to try to decrease low back pain.   Getting older sucks.  First plank happening as soon as hit submit. 

Oh, OK!  I will do this, too.  

What I did before was on an app.  I think if you search "30 day plank" in the App Store it comes up.  The icon looks like this, and the landing page like this.  There are beginner, intermediate, and expert options; first time I did the beginner and this time (starting today) I'll do the intermediate.  It's not just holding one plank but rotating through a bunch of different types.  On Day 30 of the beginner, you get about 12 minutes of total planking IIRC.  Looks like there will be 18 minutes total on Day 30 of the intermediate.   :scared:   The side planks with arms straight absolutely killed me.

Anyway, I'm going to do that plus separately will do the one you're describing on days it's not already covered in my daily planks on the app.  

ETA:  Also anyone should please join in the app one, too, if you wish!
i saw that one too, while looking for a link to the one i had done previously.  it looks HARD.  will consider

eta:  this is the one i saw.  same thing?

I agree with all of this, except the slightly overweight part. And does anyone get sore bowling?

Users who are viewing this thread