What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (14 Viewers)

I didn't say you said that.   You said nobody cares if you have any muscle and I disagree.   I do a agree that being some jacked dude at fifty is self defeating but some muscle is a very good thing both for looks and quality of life.  And some vanity imo is a good thing.   That's certainly a part of what drives me (along with just being healthy) b/c when I look good especially as I age and compare myself to others in my age group, I feel better about myself which causes me to take even better care of myself so its a cycle.   If you're some obese middle aged dudes, sure, the goal should be just to get healthy but in tandem or a subsequent goal could be to look like the guy on the cover of Men's Health.   Pulling that off in your 40's is quite an accomplishment.   
I just re-read my post and see how I worded it poorly. My basic point was middle aged guys probably shouldn’t be lifting heavy, trying to bulk up for show, as they’ll likely hurt themselves in the process (and possibly neglect their cardiovascular fitness). But staying fit is important at any age, a part of which is maintaining muscle mass. Looking like the guy on the cover of Men’s Health is good motivation I suppose, but not a realistic goal for the vast majority of guys posting in a fantasy football weight loss thread.

I just re-read my post and see how I worded it poorly. My basic point was middle aged guys probably shouldn’t be lifting heavy, trying to bulk up for show, as they’ll likely hurt themselves in the process (and possibly neglect their cardiovascular fitness). But staying fit is important at any age, a part of which is maintaining muscle mass. Looking like the guy on the cover of Men’s Health is good motivation I suppose, but not a realistic goal for the vast majority of guys posting in a fantasy football weight loss thread.
Then I totally agree with you.   IMO, heavy lifting will eventually come back to bite you.  And I agree that's not a good goal for most but I was just throwing out what I find impressive and what I personally strive for.   

OK HERE WE GO

I’m in Japan for the next week, but then when I get back I have 13 weeks before a family beach vacation. 

By simply tracking calories on MFP, I can lose 32lbs. That would get me right to 200. I haven’t been there since high school.  

13 weeks is not a long time. If I can just commit hard for 13 weeks, I’ll be there. It’s math. Calories in, calories out. Sprinkling in some jogging will only help soften the holidays. Mrs. O has stopped drinking except for special occasions, so I will do the same. I’ll drink just at family parties and the like. Which aren’t that frequent. 

If I can hold firm for just 13 weeks. That’s it. How hard can that possibly be??

Last edited by a moderator:
OK HERE WE GO

I’m in Japan for the next week, but then when I get back I have 13 weeks before a family beach vacation. 

By simply tracking calories on MFP, I can lose 32lbs. That would get me right to 200. I haven’t been there since high school.  

13 weeks is not a long time. If I can just commit hard for 13 weeks, I’ll be there. It’s math. Calories in, calories out. Sprinkling in some jogging will only help soften the holidays. Mrs. O has stopped drinking except for special occasions, so I will do the same. I’ll drink just at family parties and the like. Which aren’t that frequent. 

If I can hold firm for just 13 weeks. That’s it. How hard can that possibly be??
Love me some oats. :lmao:  

wasn't your last post, I’m shutting down all movement for at least a week?  

If this plan is mainly based on food intake and not movement, it will fail. 

I challenge you to do 30 minutes of cardio, a day, while in Asia.  Heart pounding, heavy breathing type of cardio. Elliptical?  Crank that bad boy up until you’re breathing hard.  

Love me some oats. :lmao:  

wasn't your last post, I’m shutting down all movement for at least a week?  

If this plan is mainly based on food intake and not movement, it will fail. 

I challenge you to do 30 minutes of cardio, while in Asia.  Heart pounding, heavy breathing type of cardio. Elliptical?  Crank that bad boy up until you’re breathing hard.  
How is your planking going?  I forgot to do mine on Thursday so doubled up days 3 and 4 yesterday.  Both of them had the side plank with arm raised.   :hot:  

Is everyone else still planking, too?

OK HERE WE GO

Ask for level 10 at Coco Curry Ichibanya.  You will be at 200lbs. in less than 24 hours...

How is your planking going?  I forgot to do mine on Thursday so doubled up days 3 and 4 yesterday.  Both of them had the side plank with arm raised.   :hot:  

I did shirtless, hot yoga today!   Working on that wrist.  I’m through day 4 of both plank challenges. I’m doing the intermediate one, with the app.  I’m having to do the high planks on my fists, due to my wrist.  I have yet to encounter the high side plank   

krista4 said:
I'm on day 6 of the easiest version of the challenge so I'm scheduled for 60 seconds today.  I haven't missed a day and I've done 60 seconds per day after starting with 30 seconds on day one.  I'll start increasing by 10 seconds per day starting tomorrow.

I had to weigh in a day early today, and I've lost one pound this week.  I knew I hadn't had a great week, so any loss is acceptable.  22 pounds lost in total now.  The reason I had to weigh early, though, is that I'm about to leave on an 11-day business/pleasure trip up and down the CA coast.  So much potential food and drinking in my future.  I'm going to try to maintain, but it'll be tough, especially in San Francisco where my plans revolve around the best restaurants.   :help:  

I had to weigh in a day early today, and I've lost one pound this week.  I knew I hadn't had a great week, so any loss is acceptable.  22 pounds lost in total now.  The reason I had to weigh early, though, is that I'm about to leave on an 11-day business/pleasure trip up and down the CA coast.  So much potential food and drinking in my future.  I'm going to try to maintain, but it'll be tough, especially in San Francisco where my plans revolve around the best restaurants.   :help:  
At the Delta Sky Club, forgoing the delicious sandwiches, soups, and cookies in favor of some kale, chickpeas, and edamame.  Yum!  I remember when traveling used to be fun.   :kicksrock:

ETA:  I can still have bubbly on the plane, right?

ETA2:  Literally every person surrounding me has a big bowl of homemade potato chips.

I've used this technique when on a cruise (admittedly it's probably easier on a cruise with more options at breakfast/lunch) - eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, then do whatever you want at dinner :)   That's a decent tradeoff of for me because I can mostly stick with the healthy habits but then still enjoy the vacation.

I've used this technique when on a cruise (admittedly it's probably easier on a cruise with more options at breakfast/lunch) - eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, then do whatever you want at dinner :)   That's a decent tradeoff of for me because I can mostly stick with the healthy habits but then still enjoy the vacation.
I like it a lot - thanks!  I was wondering if anyone had tips to get through this, and didn’t figure Otis was the right guy to ask.  (No offense, Oats.)

I’m still tittering on the edge right now.  My running is the only thing I’ve had going for me for a couple weeks.  I haven’t don’t the plank challenge and been eating crappy.  That changes tomorrow - starting a fast an hour ago - hope to make it to Wednesday morning.  Will start planks tomorrow.

I’m still tittering on the edge right now.  My running is the only thing I’ve had going for me for a couple weeks.  I haven’t don’t the plank challenge and been eating crappy.  That changes tomorrow - starting a fast an hour ago - hope to make it to Wednesday morning.  Will start planks tomorrow.
catch up on the plank challenge/s

What’s the starting duration?

Do a plank everyday, starting duration to be determined. Increase the time, every day, by 5-10 seconds, until you hit 5 minutes. 

Plank challenge

i did a low low plank last time. Low or high?
seems pointless to do this for longer than 60 seconds.  If you can hold a low plank for 60s start moving your arms out in front of you and then start adding plates to your back.  

seems pointless to do this for longer than 60 seconds.  If you can hold a low plank for 60s start moving your arms out in front of you and then start adding plates to your back.  
Pretty sure most people will fall when trying to do that while planking.

there are two challenges.  one involves all sorts of variations.  it's equally pointless to run farther than a mile.  one should just carry weights and stick to a mile.  go ahead and do a 5 minute plank.  let me know how it goes.

Bad guess. I lifted consistently for over 20 years, but stopped a couple years ago, when I realized I was wasting my time and destroying my joints for vanity’s sake. Though I’m not as muscular as I once was, I still exercise and have adequate muscle tone.

I guess whatever motivates people shouldn’t be discouraged, but I’ve seen too many guys fall into the trap of overdoing weights for “beach muscles” and injuring themselves in the process. Especially as you age, the emphasis should be on cardiovascular health and flexibility, with primarily body weight exercises emphasizing core strength over stuff like bench and curls.

I think you have a duty to look decent for your significant other, but otherwise, nobody really cares about the gun show.
Blasphemy 

For side planks, I strongly prefer the movement where you take the arm that not supporting your body and starting with the arm pointing to the ceiling, reach as far as you can between your body and the floor.  A movement like that seems a lot more beneficial then just remaining static while supporting your weight.  

Fair point
Obviously he was trying to be silly, but I really don't understand how some guys (much more so than women IMO) are completely unapologetic about letting themselves go. It's one thing if you were big-BMI'ed during courtship, or if she's packed on the pounds as well, but how does one reconcile expecting their wife to look healthy while simultaneously ignoring personal heft? 

Obviously he was trying to be silly, but I really don't understand how some guys (much more so than women IMO) are completely unapologetic about letting themselves go. It's one thing if you were big-BMI'ed during courtship, or if she's packed on the pounds as well, but how does one reconcile expecting their wife to look healthy while simultaneously ignoring personal heft? 
I honestly thought that he was commenting on the 2nd part you said.   I don't think most wives care if their husbands put on some pounds as long as they're bringing in a hefty paycheck.   If nothing else, it just makes them look better when they're out in public and its less likely that another women will be attracted to their husbands.

Maybe I'm not understanding the technique, but adding plates to you back while in a partial plank seems like a recipe for injury.

I honestly thought that he was commenting on the 2nd part you said.   I honestly don't think most wives care if their husbands put on some pounds as long as they're bringing in a hefty paycheck.   If nothing else, it just makes them look better when they're out in public and its less likely that another women will be attracted to their husbands.
While it's true women are stereotypically less superficial about their partner's looks, I still think they care. It  might not be purely for maintaining physical attraction, rather health (and earning potential?).

While it's true women are stereotypically less superficial about their partner's looks, I still think they care. It  might not be purely for maintaining physical attraction, rather health (and earning potential?).
Considering that 66% of women are overweight or worse, I'm not sure how much they even care about their own bodies let alone their husbands.

So like I said been up and down, just got back from vacation and started to work out with daughter who is running high school winter track (she is a freshman and never ran  track before)...

Day 1 - ran half mile and 5 - 100 yard sprints...

Jesus I'm out of shape

So like I said been up and down, just got back from vacation and started to work out with daughter who is running high school winter track (she is a freshman and never ran  track before)...

Day 1 - ran half mile and 5 - 100 yard sprints...

Jesus I'm out of shape
5 sprints? Just wait till tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread