Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis annual fad diet thread—Otis is trying to run, there’s a planking challenge, we’re all still kinda fat except k4

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

The best exercise plan (like diet) is one you can maintain. Body weight exercises and running are a good combo, but will only work if you enjoy them to some extent.

Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Otis said:

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 
 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  
 

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 
 

Advice welcomed. 

Keep lifting 2x per week, but veer the regimen away from strength building. It's maintenance. It won't help you get faster, but it will help you stay healthier. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Otis said:

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers.

Hopefully we’ll start seeing you in the 10k thread. There are a lot of good deals right now with running watches and dc rainmaker is the guy for watch reviews.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Otis said:

Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  

 

Great. You may want to try running on a softer surface, like a track, or trail running to spare your knees a bit. The former is pretty boring though, but I guess it’s better than a treadmill. Also, if you have access to water, swimming is great exercise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Maybe also have someone check out your running form.   Poor running form is recipe for physical deterioration as you age.  

"Hey, you wanna watch me run and tell me what you think?"

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Otis said:

"Hey, you wanna watch me run and tell me what you think?"

I think the only solution is to post here some video of your running.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spent three and a half hours doing leaves holy crap am I out of shape I am so sore right now I can barely stand up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

"Hey, you wanna watch me run and tell me what you think?"

My daughter would get shin splints when she ran...  A coach gave her advice on how her foot landed...  Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

"Hey, you wanna watch me run and tell me what you think?"

You should see if you pronate or supinate to get proper shoes/inserts

Any good running store will do it

 

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:  :pickle:

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:  :pickle:

I’ve been told that hot yoga can bring a woman to climax. True. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’m not even going to weight myself for a while. Back on the running kick, went this morning and the knee feels great. I think it may have been the new sneakers that did me in. Going to throw them in the trash; have some other new ones on the way. But I’m just going to run and keep alcohol down and eat sensibly and see what happens. 
 

You never see a fat guy who runs a lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurt my back in the climbing gym a couple days ago, and was temporarily derailed from the plank challenge.

Tonight I did catch-up sets of 100, 110 and 120 seconds. That was pretty tough, but I'm officially back on track.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, East Coast Bias said:

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.

Which trail?  Little Si, maybe (it’s about five miles)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, Walking Boot said:

I'm 5'10", and a couple years back, topped out at 223. Going potato for a while got me down to 185, then hit a plateau. Casual Keto got me down another 10 to 175, but I couldn't quite hit my goal of 165. Eventually bad habits and stress eating snuck back in and I made it back to 195 earlier this year.

 

9/2: 184 

9/9: 181

9/16: 179

9/23: 180.5

9/30: 177.5

10/7: 179.5

10/14: 177.0

10/21: 176.0

10/28: 177.5

11/4: 173.5 

11/11: 173.5

11/18: 174.0. Not bad for a week off the rails but I'd love to resume the downward trend. This week isn't shaping up to be that great either so it might be a slog through this patch until the real work can start up in earnest again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.