What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

One problem -- I forgot to bring my boiled potatoes with me today for lunch.  So that's no breakfast and no lunch.  I can press through till dinner probably -- I do that pretty regularly, though I've never done it on such low calorie days in the prior days.  I am sure worst case I can go downstairs and find some place here that will give me a couple plain baked potatoes with some salt and pepper...

Dumb question for Maurile and the smart people -- is it OK if I chew gum with sugar in it during a diet like this?  The calories are so low, and I can't imagine I'm ingesting a ton of sugar, but if it's going to much up the progress I'll need to stop that (I usually keep plenty of chewing gum in my drawer at work during the day, helps distract me and keep the appetite in check).
Don't you work in Manhattan? 

IIRC you can get ANYTHING delivered in Manhattan. Just have someone deliver a damn baked potato. 

So, isn't this just really a caloric function like any other diet?  Consume less than your needed calories, lose weight.  The twist here is you eat potatoes and get full quickly from them and you aren't hungry.  Aside from some short term sidebar effects like the kind of starches eaten, the breakdown of it in your body, the fiber....if I ate the same calories from nutrient rich foods on a plant based diet, I'd have the same results (with less monotony and more variety).

You eat two medium baked russets, dry, with salt and pepper = 340 calories

I steam 2 cups of broccoli (50), 14 asparagus spears (40), 2 cups of snow peas (80), 1/2 head of bok choy (50), 2 cups of zucchini (40), 3 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce (30), 2 tsp of sriracha (10) = 300 calories

You know what is made of potatoes and has no added fat?  VODKA.  Seems like you guys should be washing down your spuds with more spuds.

O.K.  I've decided to fire up the smoker tonight  I'm going to take some big Idaho Spuds, scrub them clean, divide them up into eights, sprinkle on some dill, rosemary and sage, and put them over hickory for an hour or so and see what I come up with.  A little sea salt and maybe some malt vinegar.  Why not.

One problem -- I forgot to bring my boiled potatoes with me today for lunch.  So that's no breakfast and no lunch.  I can press through till dinner probably -- I do that pretty regularly, though I've never done it on such low calorie days in the prior days.  I am sure worst case I can go downstairs and find some place here that will give me a couple plain baked potatoes with some salt and pepper...

Dumb question for Maurile and the smart people -- is it OK if I chew gum with sugar in it during a diet like this?  The calories are so low, and I can't imagine I'm ingesting a ton of sugar, but if it's going to much up the progress I'll need to stop that (I usually keep plenty of chewing gum in my drawer at work during the day, helps distract me and keep the appetite in check).
Yes it's fine 

You know what is made of potatoes and has no added fat?  VODKA.  Seems like you guys should be washing down your spuds with more spuds.
You hear this Oat?  Get a bottle of Vodka for the desk drawer.

This is brilliant and I hadn't even considered vodka is made from potatoes.

So, isn't this just really a caloric function like any other diet?  Consume less than your needed calories, lose weight.  The twist here is you eat potatoes and get full quickly from them and you aren't hungry.  Aside from some short term sidebar effects like the kind of starches eaten, the breakdown of it in your body, the fiber....if I ate the same calories from nutrient rich foods on a plant based diet, I'd have the same results (with less monotony and more variety).

You eat two medium baked russets, dry, with salt and pepper = 340 calories

I steam 2 cups of broccoli (50), 14 asparagus spears (40), 2 cups of snow peas (80), 1/2 head of bok choy (50), 2 cups of zucchini (40), 3 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce (30), 2 tsp of sriracha (10) = 300 calories
Seems like you'll be hungry sooner than potato guy and less resistant starch but yeah both will obviously result in weight loss as a part of a low calorie diet.

also potatoes taste better than asparagus, peas, broccoli and zucchini

Seems like you'll be hungry sooner than potato guy and less resistant starch but yeah both will obviously result in weight loss as a part of a low calorie diet.

also potatoes taste better than asparagus, peas, broccoli and zucchini
a) I think you're severely underestimating the size of the bowl you'd be eating with the vegetables.  

b) That's just one example to show the variety next to roasted potatoes, baked potatoes and mashed potatoes you're eating every meal, every day.

Go to Jasons Deli or McAllisters or something and ask for a plain Baked Potato?

Also sweet avatar. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only issue is with the olive oil, no? Just skip that and line baking dish with parchment and should be fine IMO. 

Yes, but here's the thing- it's just no optional to add the olive oil, not a deal breaker. There were days when I used the PAM EVOO spray to coat spuds before roasting, because, let's face it, fat tastes good and there is nothing better for getting that crispy texture. It didn't slow down my results, but YMMV. If that's your hang up, roll with some oil. Just use the spray, so you can keep the amount to the bare minimum.

Is everyone doing fasting until lunch? I have my lunch potatoes beside me and have felt about 5 minutes away from tearing into them all morning.

I was down 2.5 lbs this AM but that's likely more due to eating/drinking like a crazy person on the weekend, most of it would come off anyway as I ate normally again.
My advice: Don't fast, at least for the first couple of days. Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted. I started doing some IF just as an extra to maximize results, but I haven't been very scientific about it. It's just really easy for me to go until 5:00 without eating, especially if I drink black coffee in the morning and tons of water all day.

Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted.
That's your body's way of telling you it's sick of ####ing potatoes.

That's your body's way of telling you it's sick of ####ing potatoes.
I may grow tired of eating potatoes: boiled, baked, roasted, mashed.

But, I will never. ever. never grow tired of ####### potatoes. 

That's next level hack, and it's glorious. Every 2 oz. out = a loss of 2 lbs. of pure adipose tissue, and a plyometric workout to your abs that make them look completely ripped in 6 minutes.

Use of euphemisms does not obviate the PG-13 rule.  Strongly suggest you delete before a Mod sees this.
I put sneeze in quotes, because it looks exactly like what I was suctioning out of someone's Trach site yesterday. "Moderate, tenacious sputum greenish/orange in color. pt experienced much relief after suctioning and spO2 rose back to 96 on humidified RA."

I put sneeze in quotes, because it looks exactly like what I was suctioning out of someone's Trach site yesterday. "Moderate, tenacious sputum greenish/orange in color. pt experienced much relief after suctioning and spO2 rose back to 96 on humidified RA."
Ah, we have a RT in the house.  I don't envy your job brother.

Really, again with the sexy talk?  "Suctioning" "tenancious spewtum*", just stop.  What next  synovial fluid as a joint lubricant?

* Good name for a band, a racehorse, or a wrestler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread