Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis annual fad diet thread - Otis destroying the field with Bud Select 55s; food eaters still eating food on Mondays

After setting my daily calories for losing two pounds a week for months, switching to one pound a week feels like I'm eating like a king. It's unbelievable. I left my goal at losing two a week in myfitnesspal and just let myself go up to 500 over and it feels like I'm overeating even though I know it's not. So awesome. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

After setting my daily calories for losing two pounds a week for months, switching to one pound a week feels like I'm eating like a king. It's unbelievable. I left my goal at losing two a week in myfitnesspal and just let myself go up to 500 over and it feels like I'm overeating even though I know it's not. So awesome. 

You need to make sure to adjust your calorie goals at your new weight.

But, that said, it is glorious.  Wait until you are in maintenance :pickle:

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Otis said:

I've only been back to lifting for like 2 years now, but I've definitely had some spurts in there where I hurt my shoulders and had to stop certain exercises, like bench and shoulder workouts, or my wrists/forearms, and have to stop things like curls and back workouts.  That was when I was doing creatine and protein shakes and pushing my limits in terms of weight.  I was definitely stronger than I am now (then I was doing 95lb dumbell bench press, and desperately trying to get to the magic 100 (never made it), whereas now I'm down to 75 o 80lbs), but I also haven't had issues.  Once I lose this gut, I may at some point get back to protein and creatine, though this time with clean eating and a little more focus, to see if I can make that 100 goal, but for now I'm content getting a little bigger and stronger, building up the bracing muscles/tendons/functional strength, and not feeling hurt.

I just checked and they say “60-80% of your 1 rep max” is effective for weight loss.

Day 27: Rested - got in 11,863 steps still

Day 28:

- 15,738 Steps

- 150 push-ups 

- 250 squats

- 250 abs (50 Flutter kicks; 50 leg lifts; 50 crunches;  50 mountain climbers; 50 teasers)

- Stretching - NOPE

- 100 oz of water - CHECK

- Sleep - NOPE

Well this is a little alarming for this group.

Researchers found the association between weight gain and mortality weakens as you get older, and losing weight in middle age or late adulthood may heighten the risk of premature death, particularly when it comes to heart disease.

"Our takeaway is that it's best to prevent weight gain at younger ages to reduce the risk of premature death later in life," said study author An Pan, a professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Tongji Medical College in Wuhan, China.

The study found that people who remained obese, as measured by body mass index, throughout their adult life had the highest risk of premature death. Weight gain from mid-20s into middle age was also associated with increased risk of mortality when compared to people who remained at normal weight throughout their life.

However, weight loss in middle and older age "was significantly related to increased mortality risk," the study said.

10 hours ago, bradyfan said:

I just checked and they say “60-80% of your 1 rep max” is effective for weight loss.

Interesting.  So you do as many reps as you can with that weight?  I should probably cut down even further what I’m lifting.  Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Otis said:

Cause or correlation.  

Gee that cancer ate him up, he lost a ton of weight before he died.

24 minutes ago, Otis said:

"Our takeaway is that it's best to prevent weight gain at younger ages to reduce the risk of premature death later in life," said study author An Pan, a professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Tongji Medical College in Wuhan, China.

The Wuhan clinic ain't nothing to F with

• Like 4
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Otis said:

Was this just voluntary weight loss? Involuntary weight loss is almost always bad.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

So, those who never get fat have the least risk, those who get fat and stay fat have the highest risk and those who get fat and lose are in the middle.  SHOCKING!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Was this just voluntary weight loss? Involuntary weight loss is almost always bad.

I also wonder if it's voluntary weight loss after some other health scare.  

And whether people did keto (which can damage your heart muscle if not done correctly) 

Or crash dieting (also not great for the heart)

And whether people did cardio exercise during and after the diet

And whether the overweight people had increased their cardio exercise abruptly or unsafely 

And whether they were eating fiber and protein and other nutrients while on their diets

There's a lot to control for. 

Unless the point is "don't ever get fat" but honestly, outside of a few nutjobs, who intentionally gets fat?

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Unless the point is "don't ever get fat" but honestly, outside of a few nutjobs, who intentionally gets fat?

Getting fat was a lot of fun.  People always downplay how great it is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Getting fat was a lot of fun.  People always downplay how great it is. 

Only while we were eating - depending on how big you got and if you were like me you only enjoyed it during the eating.  Then you felt gross and disgusted and tired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

Only while we were eating - depending on how big you got and if you were like me you only enjoyed it during the eating.  Then you felt gross and disgusted and tired.

Right yes my favorite part of eating was the food. Exactly that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Right yes my favorite part of eating was the food. Exactly that. 

Oh, I'm right with you on the eating - somebody needs to figure out being able to do all the eating while not getting fat or unhealthy.  I'd be all over that.

Edited by AAABatteries

45 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Oh, I'm right with you on the eating - somebody needs to figure out being able to do all the eating while not getting fat or unhealthy.  I'd be all over that.

If only Dutch apple pie ala mode was a weight loss drug that would clean your arteries, cure diabetes, and make one's dick grow.  Alas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

These green chili cheese fries, because my doctor says I have to lower my cholesterol and I just cant stomach another brat or deep fired snickers bar, that's why.

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Romans had a system

5 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

If only Dutch apple pie ala mode was a weight loss drug that would clean your arteries, cure diabetes, and make one's dick grow.  Alas.

I like how you switch from "your" to "one's".  It will clean your arteries.  It will make one's dick grow.  

Of course, it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a micro penis. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty I can pretty much eat anything I want and drink as much beer as I want and still stay at the weight I am. 

All due to the running I do.

Now, there are some foods my body just won't tolerate because of my age, but for the most part whatever I feel like eating I eat. But I also put in the work to be able to do that. Long slow runs at a lower heart rate are fat burner runs.

It works - for me at least. And with the increased running you are doing, you are on the same path.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty I can pretty much eat anything I want and drink as much beer as I want and still stay at the weight I am. 

All due to the running I do.

Now, there are some foods my body just won't tolerate because of my age, but for the most part whatever I feel like eating I eat. But I also put in the work to be able to do that. Long slow runs at a lower heart rate are fat burner runs.

It works - for me at least. And with the increased running you are doing, you are on the same path.

Yeah - it's a hard life.  Sometimes I have to force myself to eat a second or third dessert just to make sure I am getting enough calories.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I also wonder if it's voluntary weight loss after some other health scare.  

And whether people did keto (which can damage your heart muscle if not done correctly

Or crash dieting (also not great for the heart)

And whether people did cardio exercise during and after the diet

And whether the overweight people had increased their cardio exercise abruptly or unsafely 

And whether they were eating fiber and protein and other nutrients while on their diets

There's a lot to control for. 

I'm in the camp that believes many of the very low carbohydrate diets are going to lead to health problems way down the road, but I've not seen evidence of the bolded. Do you have a link to educate me?

27 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I'm in the camp that believes many of the very low carbohydrate diets are going to lead to health problems way down the road, but I've not seen evidence of the bolded. Do you have a link to educate me?

Lots of stuff on Google but here's some. Summary is that there's research that suggests keto - especially the early stages of keto.- burns muscle and that this can include heart muscle.  It also cuts down on whole grains, fruits and vegetables that are healthy. But it can also improve your cholesterol and other risk factors.  And losing weight has its own health benefits.  So, like most things with health, we don't totally know if it's good or bad but we know it has good effects, can be risky and should be handled with care. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/paleo-keto-diet-may-increase-your-risk-for-heart-disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1368980/

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/2019/june/ketogenic-diet-what-are-the-risks

8 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Lots of stuff on Google but here's some. Summary is that there's research that suggests keto - especially the early stages of keto.- burns muscle and that this can include heart muscle.  It also cuts down on whole grains, fruits and vegetables that are healthy. But it can also improve your cholesterol and other risk factors.  And losing weight has its own health benefits.  So, like most things with health, we don't totally know if it's good or bad but we know it has good effects, can be risky and should be handled with care. 

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/paleo-keto-diet-may-increase-your-risk-for-heart-disease

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/2019/june/ketogenic-diet-what-are-the-risks

So strange to me that we can split the atom and put a man on the moon, and yet we can’t even figure out how our own bodies work. 

19 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

It's certainly a concern to be aware of. I'm not an expert, of course, but it seems the complaint is more about ill-informed carb-restricted diets, like if a person decides "I'm just going to eat steak and bacon and have 0 carbs and life will be awesome," like Otis does when he tries a new fad. The first link says the dieters need to work in lots of nuts and avocado, for example, which seems to be totally in line with actual keto.

Personally, I've been trying to be more gut-bacteria friendly and have been having a heaping spoonful of potato starch stirred into water every day. Along with lots of spinach, mixed nuts, berries, fish, and other diverse foods to keep things in balance.

56 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Agree 1000% on the bolded.

Still didn't see anything specifically mentioning ketogenic diets and cardiomyopathy. And the TMAO stuff is a criticism of any diet rich in animal protein, not VLC diets per se

When it's all said and done, I predict we'll see an uptick in kidney stones, breast and gastrointestinal cancers related to the VLC craze, but that will take years/decades to be evident. I think the heart stuff will be a wash, as the diets are effective for weight loss and that alone should offset any CV risk the diets may promote (so far, the overall data looks pretty favorable).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

It's certainly a concern to be aware of. I'm not an expert, of course, but it seems the complaint is more about ill-informed carb-restricted diets, like if a person decides "I'm just going to eat steak and bacon and have 0 carbs and life will be awesome," like Otis does when he tries a new fad. The first link says the dieters need to work in lots of nuts and avocado, for example, which seems to be totally in line with actual keto.

Personally, I've been trying to be more gut-bacteria friendly and have been having a heaping spoonful of potato starch stirred into water every day. Along with lots of spinach, mixed nuts, berries, fish, and other diverse foods to keep things in balance.

Are potatoes good for your gut?   

7 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Definitely. Resistant starch, very prevalent in potatoes, is one of the best things you can use to restore order and maintain healthy gut bacteria. According to a lot of sources, anyway.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Yeah, what P-RGK said. Potato starch is a resistant starch, so it's not processed by the human body. It's only used by the "good" gut microbes (in theory) and helps keep them chugging along. At the worst I'm adding powder to my water that is passing straight through and doing no damage anyway, I figure.

31 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Definitely. Resistant starch, very prevalent in potatoes, is one of the best things you can use to restore order and maintain healthy gut bacteria. According to a lot of sources, anyway.

Jesus, is there no end to the greatness of the potato?  Our guts are way ahead of the rest of these fools GB.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

They provide prebiotic starches - substances which are supposed to promote a healthy microbiome. But there is no prospective data supporting any favorable health outcome from regular potato consumption, to my knowledge.

The microbiome has supplanted antioxidants as the latest health buzz word, which has a lot of potential in theory, but little clinical applicability atm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

Agree 1000% on the bolded.

Still didn't see anything specifically mentioning ketogenic diets and cardiomyopathy. And the TMAO stuff is a criticism of any diet rich in animal protein, not VLC diets per se

When it's all said and done, I predict we'll see an uptick in kidney stones, breast and gastrointestinal cancers related to the VLC craze, but that will take years/decades to be evident. I think the heart stuff will be a wash, as the diets are effective for weight loss and that alone should offset any CV risk the diets may promote (so far, the overall data looks pretty favorable).

There is no way I can cuts down on fruits and vegetables.  They are a main part of my daily meals.

21 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

There is no way I can cuts down on fruits and vegetables.  They are a main part of my daily meals.

As they should be. Plus legumes and grains. None of those are the focus of most VLC diets, even though someone will chime in with the existence of vegan ketosis.

9 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

As they should be. Plus legumes and grains. None of those are the focus of most VLC diets, even though someone will chime in with the existence of vegan ketosis.

Yes, I like legumes too.  Have some at least every 2 weeks if not more often.

Edited by bradyfan

230.6. Damn scale just toying with me now, dangling the 220s in front of me like that... maybe good motivation for me to eat clean this weekend. 

C25K run this morning.  Replaced my 4th lifting day of the week with that. Just decided it was too difficult for me too continue lifting 4 days a week and then running three days, which, trying to account for a rest day between runs, requires a two-a-day somewhere in the week. Just too hard to accommodate. So the plan will be continue lifting 3 days a week (one of those a leg day), run 3 days a week, and one day off.  Feels like a good well rounded plan, and one I don’t mind. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Moreover, I’m sorry to report at the moment I’m not on a fad diet. Actually I’m not on any diet.  This is just how I eat now. My new eating and drinking habits are basically limiting carbs and cutting out junk food, and cutting way back on alcohol from where I was. I’d still like to try and get some 44 hour fasts in, though that’s a little tougher adding in the cardio. But I’m going to give it a go when my schedule allows. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Moreover, I’m sorry to report at the moment I’m not on a fad diet. Actually I’m not on any diet.  This is just how I eat now. My new eating and drinking habits are basically limiting carbs and cutting out junk food, and cutting way back on alcohol from where I was. I’d still like to try and get some 44 hour fasts in, though that’s a little tougher adding in the cardio. But I’m going to give it a go when my schedule allows. 

Who are you and how did you get the keys to Oats account?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Who are you and how did you get the keys to Oats account?

I’m as disappointed in myself as you are GB. 

• Laughing 1

Feel like I’m coming down with something.  Ran 5 miles in the frigid arctic air here in Atlanta.  Those ran a 10k guys are trying to kill me.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

11 minutes ago, Otis said:

I’m as disappointed in myself as you are GB. 

Prouder of you lately than ever before. That post is more impressive than if you said you were 220 by fasting for 180 hours.

Keep at it. All of it. You don't have to run any more than you are. It's a good balance. Keep being mindful of what you put in your mouth. Keep cutting it down little by little until it's just normal. Like you said, it's not a diet. It's just eating.

Couple more tips:

1) If your kids are anything like mine and most others, I could probably survive on the leftovers of food they don't finish. Depending on your family/meal dynamics, don't eat until they are done and then eat theirs. Or serve yourself very little, eat slowly, then finish their food. And if they finish it all, then you might be full too and can be done. 

2) Apples are a great snack. Buy a bag of apples every couple weeks and use that to snack when you think you might be hungry or craving something. They are under 100 calories, good for you, easy to eat anywhere, and just feel healthy without the whole "I'm not snacking on organic kale picked by virgins of the Seychelles" vibe that you (and I) despise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Depending on your family/meal dynamics, don't eat until they are done and then eat theirs.

So true. So ####### true. Sometimes I just stand there in the kitchen, hot food to the right and behind me. Looking at those little monsters thinking to myself - I'm gonna be eating parts of two different pieces of chicken and peas, aren't I.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

So true. So ####### true. Sometimes I just stand there in the kitchen, hot food to the right and behind me. Looking at those little monsters thinking to myself - I'm gonna be eating parts of two different pieces of chicken and peas, aren't I.

This definitely was a contributor for me over the years - it's even worse when eating out because we'd pay so much and I felt like food was going to waste so yes, I'll have 3 more chicken tenders, a handful of fries and a couple of pieces of chicken quesadilla.  Now that the kids are older they are the ones looking for extra food so now sometimes I give up some of my food to them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

226 yesterday. Gave back 8 lbs in 4 days

47 minutes ago, Otis said:

230.6. Damn scale just toying with me now, dangling the 220s in front of me like that... maybe good motivation for me to eat clean this weekend. 

IT'S HAPPENING!  IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! 

• Laughing 3

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

IT'S HAPPENING!  IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! 

I almost spit on my monitor here.

Unfortunately, BnB is going to drop a lot of that back off in a couple days, but the point remains that if Otis keeps up the tortoise approach, he's got a shot.  And honestly, I hope he doesn't care anymore if he wins.  Because if he truly keeps up what he just wrote, it might take 3 months to get to his goal, but he'll get there for sure and then stay there if not continue beyond it.

The world may see Oat's abs again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

This definitely was a contributor for me over the years - it's even worse when eating out because we'd pay so much and I felt like food was going to waste so yes, I'll have 3 more chicken tenders, a handful of fries and a couple of pieces of chicken quesadilla.  Now that the kids are older they are the ones looking for extra food so now sometimes I give up some of my food to them.

:lol: I've gotten to the point that I'll just order an appetizer as a meal.

I'll have the ceviche, but please bring it out with everyone else's meals

(sinnister look from waitress > walks away)

Then I look to my right and see another dad one table over, who nods his head approvingly and turns back to his family.

• Like 2