What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

just returned from an all inclusive wedding, in cabo. 5 days. i actually worked out hard, the first 2 days i was there.  this is a serious departure from normal vacation mode.  we'll see what the damage was tomorrow.

Motoring along.  This week could be tough due to social commitments involving wine tastings, pizza, dinners out, etc., but I'm going to do my best to stay the course and hit that magical 20-pound loss by next Monday's weigh-in.

9/9:  Ridiculous starting weight

9/16:  -6.0 lbs

9/23:  -3.0 lbs

9/30:  -2.2 lbs

10/7:  -3.0 lbs

10/14:  +1.0 lb  

10/21:  -4.4 lbs

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

Total through seven weeks:  -19.0 lbs

krista4 said:
Motoring along.  This week could be tough due to social commitments involving wine tastings, pizza, dinners out, etc., but I'm going to do my best to stay the course and hit that magical 20-pound loss by next Monday's weigh-in.

9/9:  Ridiculous starting weight

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

Total through seven weeks:  -19.0 lbs
crushing this. 

183#!  suck it, all inclusive resort!   :lmao:   very happy to have come out of mexico, ahead of the game!  technically lost 1.4 lbs.  the work outs in mexico, kept my metabolism firing on all cylinders   :pickle:  

however, i hurt my wrist yesterday.  sleeping.   :mellow:   so, only cardio for a week or so.  it'll probably help weight loss. :shrug:   

krista4 said:

10/28:  -1.4 lbs
It's almost the two week anniversary of that giant #### you took.  

A couple of basic truths I thought about on my drive home from the gym this morning:

1. Systems in nature always find their equilibrium. It takes some time, but it’s immutable. If you behave like a fat person over an extended period of time, you’ll eventually be fat. If you behave like a fit person, you’ll eventually be fit. But it takes time — it’s not about what you did today or this week, but this year, or the past 3 or 5 years. 

2.  There are only two things that determine where that equilibrium is for you: how much you eat, and how much you move. And it turns out the first one is a lot more influential. Because it takes the average person over an hour to run the 10 miles needed to burn 1,000 calories. But you can eat 1,000 calories in under 5 minutes (not even a full Big Mac meal).  Exercise is great for a variety of reasons, but once you put the calories into your system, it’s damn hard to get them out. 

So eat less, and healthier, and move more, all over a sustained period of time, and you just end up a person who is in good shape.  But the key is consistency over the long term.  

On the equilibrium comment - I’ve talked a couple of times in this thread about set point.  I’m not sure I get the little science I’ve read about it and there’s no consensus around it that I’m aware of.  I think it all boils down to your BMR and what impacts it.  I think that’s what CICO gets right but the problem is that CO is very complex and not consistent so if you can impact your BMR positively or negatively then it obviously changes the CICO calculation.  Maybe one day fitness trackers will be able to track it for us and we’ll know how to influence it more directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have substituted canned green beans for noodles i know that is not everyones thing but it saves me a ton of calories every day so what is your can o greener beaners take that to the bank brohans

A couple of basic truths I thought about on my drive home from the gym this morning:

1. Systems in nature always find their equilibrium. It takes some time, but it’s immutable. If you behave like a fat person over an extended period of time, you’ll eventually be fat. If you behave like a fit person, you’ll eventually be fit. But it takes time — it’s not about what you did today or this week, but this year, or the past 3 or 5 years. 

2.  There are only two things that determine where that equilibrium is for you: how much you eat, and how much you move. And it turns out the first one is a lot more influential. Because it takes the average person over an hour to run the 10 miles needed to burn 1,000 calories. But you can eat 1,000 calories in under 5 minutes (not even a full Big Mac meal).  Exercise is great for a variety of reasons, but once you put the calories into your system, it’s damn hard to get them out. 

So eat less, and healthier, and move more, all over a sustained period of time, and you just end up a person who is in good shape.  But the key is consistency over the long term.  
Glad to see you are progressing and seeing the big picture.

Your post is what many in this thread have been trying to tell you for some time...but everyone needs to get their on their own schedule.

I hope it sticks for you, b/c life is so much better when you are doing the right things.

@MAC_32 made a post that made me think about the upcoming holidays - including today and @Otis candy post also made me think about how it always seems that folks in here say the holidays screwed them up.  So, as a service to you guys and because I'm bored in a meeting I'm going to bump some posts from earlier in the year and end last year and @ people who maybe haven't been in here in a while. 

MAC's basic point was to have a plan - just don't accept that you have to gain 10-20 pounds over the holidays.  Let yourself have fun and enjoy the holidays but don't blow up all your hard work.

I'm taking a second run at a 3 day water fast, starting four hours ago. Made it to 38 hours this past weekend (The NFL triggered my beer consuming apparatus early Sunday afternoon).  Psoriasis is creeping back after 10 years without a problem, but before I resort to a potent RX to clear it up, I'm going to pull out all the stops on natural remedies. Allegedly, a three-day fast can kick the immune system up a few notches (linky). While I don't know much about this, I signed up for a self-paced course at edX.org on autophagy.

I'm doing a strict water-only fast, and I'm going to try to do two a month (eventually tapering off and relying on intermittent fasting once I get my #### together). After I get a couple of these under my belt (literally?),  I may try adding black coffee and teas to my method.

Observations from 38 hour water fast:

• Hunger was never a problem
  • Sleep was not good, but that is generally always the case for me. 
  • Had a terrible headache when I woke up Sunday morning.  Googling told me that this quite common and that it was likely attributable to dehydration. Sure enough, ramping up my water consumption and throwing back many pinches of pink Himalayan salt fixed me right up. 
  • Isaiah Pead, a lot.
New Year's Resolutions

• Eat right:  Will lean slightly Keto, with the exception of sprouted grain breads, and the occasional beans and rice.  I plan to eat a ridiculous quantity of vegetables.  
  • Exercise:  Weights four days a week, cardio blowout once a week.  Lots and lots of steam room.
  • Sleep:  I've got to make improvements.  I probably average about five hours a night.
  • Meditation:  I rocking two guided meditation apps - 10% Happier and Sam Harris' Waking Up.
  • Self-Improvement:  Complete a few edX courses; read more, a lot more.
  • Rewatch the greats: The Wire and Sopranos, to name two.
Yo - @Mister CIA - please see this post for context on why I @'d you

How are your resolutions going?  I'm specifically interested in your fasting you were doing - how is that going?

Meeting over - I will pick this back up later or if somebody else want to join in helping our fellow FBGs attack the holidays with a plan please jump in and start tagging fatties and prior fatties.

LET'S GO!!!  How can we help - seriously, PM your phone number and I'll text you pics of my feet daily so you won't want to eat.
Honestly I ate like a pig all summer. Fattest Ive been in years. Im ashamed. I wanna lose weight and I know what to do but I find no motivation in starting. I have to get past the first hunger phase (which for me is about 2 weeks) and then Im usually smooth sailing.

Honestly I ate like a pig all summer. Fattest Ive been in years. Im ashamed. I wanna lose weight and I know what to do but I find no motivation in starting. I have to get past the first hunger phase (which for me is about 2 weeks) and then Im usually smooth sailing.
Based on what you just wrote and have done in the past, you don't really want to lose weight. It has nothing to do with a 2 week hunger phase. You don't really know what to do. And the result of getting through that isn't smooth sailing - it's a path back to eating like a pig again sometime in the near future.

You may not be happy being fat. But you're content. Your mind is not in the right place right now. If you really want to lose weight then you need to put your mind to it and that will require more effort than the above makes it seem like you're willing to commit.

Based on what you just wrote and have done in the past, you don't really want to lose weight. It has nothing to do with a 2 week hunger phase. You don't really know what to do. And the result of getting through that isn't smooth sailing - it's a path back to eating like a pig again sometime in the near future.

You may not be happy being fat. But you're content. Your mind is not in the right place right now. If you really want to lose weight then you need to put your mind to it and that will require more effort than the above makes it seem like you're willing to commit.
I said I had no motivation. 

hey keep it up brohans and brohanistas keep getting healthier and feeling good about your selves that is the big thing and do it for for the ones who love you and want to see you stick around longer take that to the bank brochacharinos 

I want to lose weight yet have no motivation to do so.
You're making this harder than it is - until you have motivation you don't want to lose weight. They're mutually exclusive. It takes focused effort to make corrections. Step one is the desire to exert that focused effort - you're not there. Until you are there's no 'want to' do anything related to your health.

Seems like this has been said in here before....

its not difficult to understand how to lose weight.  The feeling of slight hunger ruins most plans though.   

i have substituted canned green beans for noodles i know that is not everyones thing but it saves me a ton of calories every day so what is your can o greener beaners take that to the bank brohans
I’m eating a lot more soup.  Not the creamy kinds but the brothy ones.  They fill me up quickly and have few calories or fat, lots of protein, etc.

soups are a great idea they fill you up but dont have much bad stuff in them unless you are eating nuthin but noodles soup which my aunt used to make it was good but man like a billion calories take that to the bank brohans

@krista4

I know you're a big hiking fan.  As far a exercise goes, hiking is definitely no joke.  We went to Red Rock Canyon last week and just from walking back at the first stop (Calico HIlls...walking from the bottom of the view back up to the top), it was a little bit of a workout.  I used to think "Hiking?  Isn't that just walking pretty much?".  Definitely not so. 

:thumbup:

@krista4

I know you're a big hiking fan.  As far a exercise goes, hiking is definitely no joke.  We went to Red Rock Canyon last week and just from walking back at the first stop (Calico HIlls...walking from the bottom of the view back up to the top), it was a little bit of a workout.  I used to think "Hiking?  Isn't that just walking pretty much?".  Definitely not so. 

:thumbup:
Nice!  Hope you enjoyed it.  Yeah, it’s all about the elevation gain to me; the steeper the better.

@Keerock - @pantherclub - @belljr - @shadyridr

please see this post for context on why I @'d you

Kee - Keto?

Panther - you still doing yoga?  In yoga pants?  I'll take a PM

Bell/Shady - how YOU doing?
Still have the same 20-25 to lose.  I haven't gained any weight.   Dropped some gained some.

Not going to make excuses but had a "tough year" so to speak.  Not compare to many people but had a lot of stress eating with my SiL cancer and passing.  And I've had some medical issues that have prevented me from working out. nothing major but i had pneumonia for a couple months and jacked my knee up.

Its funny you tagged me because I want to say 2 weeks ago I "started over"  but not doing any crash diets.  Just CiCO and slowly been upping my exercise.  I still cant really run (or squat) so thats tough plus I hate it :)  

Anyway - I'm Oats Jr currently.   I'll get there eventually....  I think in the last 2 weeks I'm down 7ish pounds?   So we'll call it an even 20 to go.

@MAC_32 made a post that made me think about the upcoming holidays - including today and @Otis candy post also made me think about how it always seems that folks in here say the holidays screwed them up.  So, as a service to you guys and because I'm bored in a meeting I'm going to bump some posts from earlier in the year and end last year and @ people who maybe haven't been in here in a while. 

MAC's basic point was to have a plan - just don't accept that you have to gain 10-20 pounds over the holidays.  Let yourself have fun and enjoy the holidays but don't blow up all your hard work.
It's great advice.  It is easy to get into the herd mentality around this time of year.  I always say that Willpower is a finite resource but if there were a time of year to maximize your use of that resource it begins tonight and ends on January 4th.  Don't expect every day to be perfect but you probably need to push a little harder (a lot harder?) to make sure that everyday isn't a complete and utter failure either.

who  the.  ####.  is.  this?  

awesome dude!  keep it up!

I’m eating a lot more soup.  Not the creamy kinds but the brothy ones.  They fill me up quickly and have few calories or fat, lots of protein, etc.
this is how i plan to do my next quasi fast.  my wife makes bone broth, 2-3 day process.  it's really good.  i plan on drinking that and water for 2ish days.

I want to lose weight yet have no motivation to do so.
I get what you are saying - I think I was right there in your shoes a few years ago and I would tweak your comment to this:

I like the idea of losing weight but I don't currently have the motivation to do so.

I think MAC is right - I always thought it would be good idea to lose weight, to hopefully look better, feel better, be healthier but it was never concrete until I started having medical issues and poor reports from the doctor.  Then #### got real.  That was my motivation - I didn't want to be a diabetic.  I didn't want to shoot myself with insulin.  I didn't want to die an early death or wish I was dead because of symptoms of diabetes.  That's just my story but I feel lucky I reversed course when I did. 

one important thing in a health diet is ruffage so if you eat a lot of greens you will not only being destroying the field but you will also be destroying a toilet and that my friends is what getting healthy is all about take that to the bank bromigos

I've had 5 peices and still going.  But, its ok... I skipped dinner to maximize my candy consumption.

Users who are viewing this thread