What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Woz don’t be skerred now. 
Oh I’m not scared. I just woke up with s hangover after crushing a a five course meal and nearly two bottles of wine last night. Now about to hit a shot of whisky to cut this hangover and have a few while playing golf. 

#prepareforweighin

Take your weight and eat that many grams of protein a day.  

Last edited by a moderator:
He tried veganism this weekend and it didn't work so he's just looking for another method. Give him a break.
Thankfully I'm in the thread with all the skinny guys who have all the answers on weight loss, so this should be easy.

OH WAIT

Woz did we figure out steaks I mean stakes?
Box of Omaha steaks to the winner? 🤣

I think as always the $100 to the winner’s charity of choice is good. What’s the bet though? First to lose ten percent of body weight? I also would request we keep to at least 1k calories per day. I can’t compete against full bale. 

Let me know. Just grabbing some chocolate ice cream then planning a pasta dinner. 

Box of Omaha steaks to the winner? 🤣

I think as always the $100 to the winner’s charity of choice is good. What’s the bet though? First to lose ten percent of body weight? I also would request we keep to at least 1k calories per day. I can’t compete against full bale. 

Let me know. Just grabbing some chocolate ice cream then planning a pasta dinner. 
Your call.  Whatever rules, whatever stakes, I just wanna be handsome. 

Question from a friend: I know peanut butter cups are bad, but how many dark chocolate almond butter cups can someone have when on a diet?

Day 80/100

3 mile run today, with some extra hill work thrown in. Working 4 nights in a row (tonight is #2) is going to make things tough, but I think I'll just do a 20min run tomorrow and the next day. I also signed up for a 5k that occurs in 23 days. 20 days left in the challenge.

Bank: $800

Initial weigh in. Standard = first thing, no food or drink, post-constitutional, and naked. 

Day one = 241.4 🤢

Current plan: 16/8 fast to be implemented week two (eating between hours of noon and 8 ) complimented by low carb diet and, inspired by tecumseh, something active everyday. Going to do a quest bar and some mid morning almonds this week because I have some important things at week I can’t be all cranky and lethargic for. 

Make sure you both save some money for the new wardrobes you will be buying. 
Here’s the beauty of quick weight gain + irrational confidence that I’d lose it all back one day: I have enough in my wardrobe to work for me whether I’m 165, 245, or anywhere in between. 

Is $100 enough to make it interesting to either of you?  That's a round of golf for you and what Otis tips his landscaper.  
Fair point. $200 gets me there I think. 

To be honest, I’m trying to stay below the level where I feel obligated to explain to my wife that I’ve made a significant sized bet against somebody from my “nerd board” and that we may need to pay out in an amount that causes her to raise an eyebrow. 

Otis, $200? Although you haven’t even weighed I yet...

Text from my dad yesterday:

Eating lunch with [Otis 5yo] and she turns to us and says “my dad is eating too much and he’s getting a fat belly”. Just sayin 

To be honest, I’m trying to stay below the level where I feel obligated to explain to my wife that I’ve made a significant sized bet against somebody from my “nerd board” and that we may need to pay out in an amount that causes her to raise an eyebrow. 

Sure, as noted, the stakes aren’t going to motivate me. If I could take a group bet against the board for like $1k or $5k or $10k or something, then we’d be cookin. Board?

but woz that’s fine

Sure, as noted, the stakes aren’t going to motivate me. If I could take a group bet against the board for like $1k or $5k or $10k or something, then we’d be cookin. Board?

but woz that’s fine
Okay but did you weigh in?? 

Let’s do the $200 b/c that’ll give me some mild motivation. Not sure how I feel about the board giving you added motivation... 

I screwed up and didn’t weigh in this morning. En route to JFK now then on to Asia. I can weigh in again Friday morning. 

That said why don’t I use yesterday’s weigh in it that’s ok?  I didn’t do anything drastic either way yesterday, so it should be right. 

Otis starting weigh in:

28.6% body fat

That body fat number is probably a few percent high based on hydration and time of day. 

Yesterday’s works since there was no change either direction. 

Last time we did this your starting weight was more than mine. Yuck. 

All right let’s do this. 

Okay but did you weigh in?? 

Let’s do the $200 b/c that’ll give me some mild motivation. Not sure how I feel about the board giving you added motivation... 
I hope no one does.  Short term when it comes to Blotis isn't the problem, especially this time of year. He'll get to 215-220 and low-20 something body fat. Probably by November. If he doesn't then after some holiday regression he will by February/March. Doing so wouldn't be a new thing. Sustaining it - that would be a new thing. Late summer-to late winter is his fake I want to be healthy period. Once winter ends health isn't a priority until he realizes he's fat again sometime during summer. So unless we get to next summer and he's 205-210 with high teens body fat whatever he does between now and then doesn't really matter.

I'm sure your wife won't care what you are doing as long as you are getting healthy.

Jesus. Good luck to you guys.

How does one put on that much weight? Is it just a combination of job/family responsibilities and bad diet?

How does one put on that much weight? Is it just a combination of job/family responsibilities and bad diet?
It's the bolded. The former is just an excuse. 

As mentioned already once or twice, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Until then, it doesn't matter how great or effective the diet is. It won't stick until you decide you want to live healthier. 

Dropping 30 lbs over a couple months isn't impressive. Dropping 2 pounds per month over a year is far more impressive. 

Want some easy money? Make a large bet with Otis that he can't drop below 215 and keep it there for a year. Guaranteed winner. 

Poor planning gets you there. Unwillingness to adapt is how you stay there.

I added 30+ pounds in 6 months post-grad as I adapted to a sedentary job - I think I topped out at 225. That was a product of poor planning. I didn't really change my diet and the little activity I added nowhere near compensated for what I lost as a student. I was willing to change though. I made a plan to first lose the weight and second to maintain. It wasn't a smooth road to good health and there have been setbacks since getting there, but I was ultimately successful because I took the long view approach. Cheats come-and-go and as I get older it'll need to be more go than come, but the baseline plan is always there. It takes time to establish though. It isn't a quick fix.

I've chronicled my downfall on here quite a bit but the quick version is this: 

1. At 27 I weighed 170 lbs and was below 10 percent body fat.  I was single, worked only 40 hours per week, dieted wisely during the week, and regularly did crossfit (4/week), and played softball tournaments, basketball, and flag football or some combination thereof several times per week.  I cared about looking good and getting attractive girls into bed. 

2. Not long after I turned 28 I moved (meaning I didn't have the same immediate sports options but did still work out), met my wife within 2 weeks after moving, and couple months after that blew out my knee on a fluke play in a softball tournament.  I couldn't run anywhere near full speed for like 6 months. Basketball and football stopped. I went to crossfit less and couldn't do much of the squat and cardio portions. Workouts and basketball league nights got replaced with going at to restaurants with my wife and hanging out with her.  Diet went by the wayside.

3. I found a love for craft beer. 

4. In the first year with my wife I didn't care much for my diet and couldn't work out nearly as much due to the knee.  Gained an initial 30 pounds. 

5. We got engaged and, shortly thereafter, I accepted a job with a private firm with the incentive to make a significant amount more money. My plan was to at least double my income and put us in a position to raise kids.  That plan worked but I easily was putting in 60 hours per week and I didn't have the time to work out much and, when I got home at night, I was stressed and just didn't care. I also went out to lunch office as a break in the office and, with it being on the firm's dime, I usually ordered whatever I wanted at lunch.  After about a year of this I put on another 30 pounds. 

6. For like the last 4 years I've pretty much stayed at between 230 and 240. I still regularly play softball and golf. I work out occasionally, do yoga occasionally, run occasionally, occasionally watch my carb intake, and occasionally join diet bets. But, with working the hours, the stress of the job, and the general disincentive to get serious about my health (because, let's be real, the instant satisfaction of beers on the course followed by a nice dinner with my wife and wine on the weekends is really nice after a stressful week and about all I can do time-wise with kids), I've essentially been trading off some moderate physical activity and mindfulness of alcohol and carbs during the week with doing whatever I want on weekends, snacking at night, and sitting at a desk for at least 60 hours/week. 

TL;DR answer: yes. 

@Zow

So, couple questions/observations

1) Common story. I was there to some degree. It's easy to allow it to happen. But once it does, it's a lifestyle. It's not a lack of time, even though time is a precious commodity and you may have less free time than you were used to when single and 27 years old. That said, eating habits don't take that much additional time. It's a matter of making the lifestyle change back for the better.  If you look hard at it, it's just an excuse for not wanting to commit to that change.  Most of the weight gain (and subsequent weight loss) are diet related. The exercise is there for further health and should be included. But at least address the major part of the weight problem.

2) Would you care if your wife put on 60 pounds after you married her? Does she care that you have? That would be an issue for some and not an illegitimate concern either.

3) I posed this question to Otis already. Do you want to be around for your grandkids? Do you want to be able to be active with them. Carrying an additional 60 pounds is going to limit both of those if it continues long term. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for them. Not to mention modeling the behavior of taking care of yourself that you can pass on.

The bet is all well and good, but it should only be viewed as a jumping off point. Use it to see changes early on but decide now that it's going to be your last weight loss bet because you won't need one in the future. 

Mind you, I'm not some crazy skinny health nut. Far from it. But I've prioritized taking care of myself over the last few years and won't let that change again as long as I have any control over it. 

Good luck.

@Zow

So, couple questions/observations

1) Common story. I was there to some degree. It's easy to allow it to happen. But once it does, it's a lifestyle. It's not a lack of time, even though time is a precious commodity and you may have less free time than you were used to when single and 27 years old. That said, eating habits don't take that much additional time. It's a matter of making the lifestyle change back for the better.  If you look hard at it, it's just an excuse for not wanting to commit to that change.  Most of the weight gain (and subsequent weight loss) are diet related. The exercise is there for further health and should be included. But at least address the major part of the weight problem.

2) Would you care if your wife put on 60 pounds after you married her? Does she care that you have? That would be an issue for some and not an illegitimate concern either.

3) I posed this question to Otis already. Do you want to be around for your grandkids? Do you want to be able to be active with them. Carrying an additional 60 pounds is going to limit both of those if it continues long term. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for them. Not to mention modeling the behavior of taking care of yourself that you can pass on.

The bet is all well and good, but it should only be viewed as a jumping off point. Use it to see changes early on but decide now that it's going to be your last weight loss bet because you won't need one in the future. 

Mind you, I'm not some crazy skinny health nut. Far from it. But I've prioritized taking care of myself over the last few years and won't let that change again as long as I have any control over it. 

Good luck.
1. No doubt. 

2. She did.  Neither of us didn't/couldn't complain because we both have. Last year she actually lost it but has over the last couple of months gained about 30 of it back due to us moving and going on a few trips. 

3. Of course. And, as it stands right now, even with my current weight I'm still active and can still "hang" with others doing athletic things so I haven't seen the downfall of my current weight yet.  I see your point, though, and recognize I need to identify it and be the better example.  It's pretty bad when I go home from work and my daughters lead me to my chair and ask me what I'm going to eat. 

It's the bolded. The former is just an excuse. 

As mentioned already once or twice, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Until then, it doesn't matter how great or effective the diet is. It won't stick until you decide you want to live healthier. 

Dropping 30 lbs over a couple months isn't impressive. Dropping 2 pounds per month over a year is far more impressive. 

Want some easy money? Make a large bet with Otis that he can't drop below 215 and keep it there for a year. Guaranteed winner. 
I’ll take this bet at whatever stakes anyone wants to pony up. Let me know. If you guys want to huddle together and come up with a fund, that’s fine too. Let’s make this interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread