What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

I don’t disagree with what you said but can I at least fail first this time before being made to feel badly? 
it's meant to be inspirational.   'i'd rather be sore tomorrow, then sorry'  something, one of my nutty gym rat friends posts all the time.  you can do this

Ok so I think I maybe should just do CICO on MFP. Just stick to 1900 calories per day and I’ll be an Adonis by Thanksgiving. Sounds so easy. 

Ok so I think I maybe should just do CICO on MFP. Just stick to 1900 calories per day and I’ll be an Adonis by Thanksgiving. Sounds so easy. 
Holy acronyms batman.  Took me a minute. 

I admit, I did eat some carbs today at a celebratory work lunch (I didn't pay and didn't order) but I kept the calories to a minimum and am about to hit the gym. Breakfast and dinner will be on point. 

Day 84/100

With the exception of about a 7 hour window last night during which I went to the gym, I have basically slept for 2 days. ended up waking up later than I planned today, and my ankle tendonitis was acting up, so I settled for a 20min low-impact video on demand. Planning to do a 5 mile run for the first time tomorrow when I wake up in the afternoon .

Bank: $840

@Zow - are you on MFP?  If not, get on it, and we can track our progress there and even open it up to this group. I’m going to start logging what I eat, and it auto logs my weight. I’m still half hearted about this over the coming week until Labor Day. Consider it a last hurrah. But ### ####it then I’m serious about getting to my goal in a sustainable way. 

@Zow - are you on MFP?  If not, get on it, and we can track our progress there and even open it up to this group. I’m going to start logging what I eat, and it auto logs my weight. I’m still half hearted about this over the coming week until Labor Day. Consider it a last hurrah. But ### ####it then I’m serious about getting to my goal in a sustainable way. 
No but I’ll get on it tonight. 

MFP is a great tool in managing food intake.  1900 calories seems a little low, especially if you are going to be hitting the weights most days.  You don't have to take off too big of a bite to lose weight.  Stay at the calorie goal every day and you will lose weight.  Good luck.   

MFP is a great tool in managing food intake.  1900 calories seems a little low, especially if you are going to be hitting the weights most days.  You don't have to take off too big of a bite to lose weight.  Stay at the calorie goal every day and you will lose weight.  Good luck.   
This.

Also keep in mind that if you increase the exercise, your appetite is going to increase.  Exercise isn't really the greatest weight loss tool unless done a certain way.  It doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise because the goal is to get healthy, not just lose weight.  So from a lifestyle standpoint, it's necessary.  It's just going to slow down the weight loss initially.  It's a marathon, though, not a sprint.

Also, if you cut calories too much too soon, your body will just go into starvation mode and you'll plateau really quick.  So it's about finding a balance of cutting calories but not TOO much.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're normally taking in 3500+ calories if not more.  Calculate your food AND beverage intake and see where you are then go from there. 

Do not look at this as trying to cut X number of pounds in the first week.  Or second week.  Or any week.  Just start cutting pounds however they come and keep them from increasing.  Even if it's only 5 lbs/month, if you do that for the next 6 months, you'll hit your goal weight.  And 6 months will have passed and then you can realize you can keep doing it.

Crazy exhausted from a very long work day but said screw it and ran a couple of miles, did some resistance swing training, and some push ups, abs, and yoga poses. Fish and cauliflower rice for dinner. Debating on a glass of red wine.

This.

Also keep in mind that if you increase the exercise, your appetite is going to increase.  Exercise isn't really the greatest weight loss tool unless done a certain way.  It doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise because the goal is to get healthy, not just lose weight.  So from a lifestyle standpoint, it's necessary.  It's just going to slow down the weight loss initially.  It's a marathon, though, not a sprint.

Also, if you cut calories too much too soon, your body will just go into starvation mode and you'll plateau really quick.  So it's about finding a balance of cutting calories but not TOO much.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're normally taking in 3500+ calories if not more.  Calculate your food AND beverage intake and see where you are then go from there. 

Do not look at this as trying to cut X number of pounds in the first week.  Or second week.  Or any week.  Just start cutting pounds however they come and keep them from increasing.  Even if it's only 5 lbs/month, if you do that for the next 6 months, you'll hit your goal weight.  And 6 months will have passed and then you can realize you can keep doing it.
It’s just 2lb/week weight loss goal, which should be doable. But I see what you’re saying. 

Update 

Had the fish and resisted any snacks. 

Did have the wine. 

Tried to add Otis on MyFitnessPal 

It’s just 2lb/week weight loss goal, which should be doable. But I see what you’re saying. 
You got this Oats.  1900 calories/day is more than enough.    Just stick to the veggies and lean meats and you'll have more than enough to eat.  And don't forget your potatoes.   

@Otis and @Zow

Pro-tip:  Consume a decent amount of protein for breakfast.  If you can take in 25g+ of protein, it will help curb appetite later on.  Eggs, greek yogurt, etc.

Here are some ideas.  Most of those are work to prepare but it just gives you ideas of where to get it from.

I'm personally a big fan of these.

They come in a slightly smaller bottle 4 pack here

Pick up some of those for those times you need a quick breakfast and it'll easily keep you full until lunch.  Add a hard boiled egg or a yogurt and you can go even longer.

@Otis and @Zow

Pro-tip:  Consume a decent amount of protein for breakfast.  If you can take in 25g+ of protein, it will help curb appetite later on.  Eggs, greek yogurt, etc.

Here are some ideas.  Most of those are work to prepare but it just gives you ideas of where to get it from.

I'm personally a big fan of these.

They come in a slightly smaller bottle 4 pack here

Pick up some of those for those times you need a quick breakfast and it'll easily keep you full until lunch.  Add a hard boiled egg or a yogurt and you can go even longer.
Interesting, thanks.  I'm not really a breakfast guy.  Don't need it, don't usually take the time for it.  So likely won't implement breakfast as part of my plan.

OK, here is the draft Otis diet plan.  Comments appreciated:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=03302614841360792203&t=0330261484136079220340353

It's not ideal, but it includes some built in cheats/things that match to my lifestyle, and I just think will be easier to stick with for that reason.  I've done something like this in the past and had good results, and found it not all that difficult to follow. It turns out the way I normally like to eat -- low calorie during the week, higher on weekends -- has a name, called "zigzag" calorie counting, which supposedly helps to avoid plateaus.  So I'll be tracking that kind of plan.  It's really the same old calorie tracking, just on a weekly basis instead of daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here is the draft Otis diet plan.  Comments appreciated:

https://file.io/UDgdSH

It's not ideal, but it includes some built in cheats/things that match to my lifestyle, and I just think will be easier to stick with for that reason.  I've done something like this in the past and had good results, and found it not all that difficult to follow. It turns out the way I normally like to eat -- low calorie during the week, higher on weekends -- has a name, called "zigzag" calorie counting, which supposedly helps to avoid plateaus.  So I'll be tracking that kind of plan.  It's really the same old calorie tracking, just on a weekly basis instead of daily.
File not found.   Good start.  :lol:  

You got this Oats.  1900 calories/day is more than enough.    Just stick to the veggies and lean meats and you'll have more than enough to eat.  And don't forget your potatoes.   
IMO 2 lbs per week is overly aggressive, and I would lower it to 1 lb per week.  If you're feeling good, there's no reason you have to eat up to the calorie goal if you're at 1900.  But, if it is the end of the day and you are tempted to cheat, looking to see you have 200 calories left to have a reasonable treat is better than seeing yourself over for the day, going off the rails and eating an entire package of Oreos.  Just my .02.

IMO 2 lbs per week is overly aggressive, and I would lower it to 1 lb per week.  If you're feeling good, there's no reason you have to eat up to the calorie goal if you're at 1900.  But, if it is the end of the day and you are tempted to cheat, looking to see you have 200 calories left to have a reasonable treat is better than seeing yourself over for the day, going off the rails and eating an entire package of Oreos.  Just my .02.
Current plan targets 2.2lbs per week on average.  I think that's going to be  reasonable on the front end without too much difficulty.  But your point is well taken, and I will consider dropping the goal, perhaps to more like 1.5 lbs/week.

Current plan targets 2.2lbs per week on average.  I think that's going to be  reasonable on the front end without too much difficulty.  But your point is well taken, and I will consider dropping the goal, perhaps to more like 1.5 lbs/week.
He's absolutely right.  You're going to drop weight quickly at first, but a lot of it is water weight and the rest is an adjustment period by your body to decreased calories.  It will slow considerably. 

Set a reasonable goal that you can achieve.  If you lose 1 lb/week, you will hit your goal in 6 months.  That's good. 

Love seeing a plan.  This might be the most serious you've taken this before aside from the short term.  I just caution you to look at that plan and decide if that's sustainable 3 months from now, 6 months from now, 1 year from now, etc.  While it's doable, it seems a little restrictive.  It has built in cheats which is good. 

Some tips:

1)  Eat slowly.  Like really slowly.  At least at first.  It'll allow you to get full and not overeat.  Set a goal of always taking home a leftover if you eat out.  Serve yourself a portion of food at home and either remove some when you're done or always leave a couple bites. 

2)  Drink lots of water.  It will help with appetite.  And most of us don't get enough water.

3)  Don't even buy or keep calorie rich snacks that are going to get you in trouble.  Remove temptations.  It's not going to be easy so make it as easy as you can on yourself by not allowing yourself to get in trouble.

4)  Go shopping right after you've eaten and you're full.  Bring a list and stick with it.

5)  Don't underestimate calories from drinks.  If you eliminate any kind of soda, juice, and as much alcohol as you can, it's going to make a tremendous difference.

You got this, GB.

3)  Don't even buy or keep calorie rich snacks that are going to get you in trouble.  Remove temptations.  It's not going to be easy so make it as easy as you can on yourself by not allowing yourself to get in trouble.
A big obstacle for him is that he has young kids so there's always gonna be these types of foods in the house.   

A big obstacle for him is that he has young kids so there's always gonna be these types of foods in the house.   
Bingo. If I lived alone, I’d have nothing but nuts and fruit to resort to, maybe dark chocolate. But there’s all sorts of other snack garbage in the house for the kids, and especially after a drink or two with inhibitions waning, it’s far too easy to reach for one of those little bags of chips or cheese-its or a handful of Oreos. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
IMO, this has almost no chance of succeeding.   1500 calories per day during the week with 250 coming from alcohol is unsustainable.   Here's what's gonna happen b/c we've seen it time and again.   One of those nights if not more, that one glass of wine is gonna lead to multiple which will lead to a raid on the pantry and any gains you made by eating so little will evaporate.  You're almost certainly underestimating how much you're gonna eat on the weekend.   4 restaurant meals per weekend?   Restaurants are where diets go to die.   And you're only gonna eat 2 meals per day without any snacking?   Ok.   

Bingo. If I lived alone, I’d have nothing but nuts and fruit to resort to, maybe dark chocolate. But there’s all sorts of other snack garbage in the house for the kids, and especially after a drink or two with inhibitions waning, it’s far too easy to reach for one of those little bags of chips or cheese-its or a handful of Oreos. 
Then don't drink. 

Its incredible how many calories are in those tiny bags of snacks.    I have to eat like 3 or 4 of them to be even remotely satisfied.   I bought the big box from costco b/c my kids like to sell them at their lemonade stand and I've been working my way through them as lemonade stand season comes to a close.  

Do the kids go shopping or do you guys?

That needs to change.  You need to model behavior that they take after.  Teach them early on to snack better so they don't have to struggle later on like you are now.  There are plenty of reasonable snack options that aren't garbage.  Keep fruit in the house.  Yogurt. 

Stop buying chips and cheese-its and oreos.  Go all-in as a family.  You are in charge and you are the ones that go shopping and buy what's in your house.  You have 100% control over those decisions.  The only buy-in you need is your wife.  And I would hope she would be on board if it's a way to get you healthier as well as your children.

IMO, this has almost no chance of succeeding.   1500 calories per day during the week with 250 coming from alcohol is unsustainable.   Here's what's gonna happen b/c we've seen it time and again.   One of those nights if not more, that one glass of wine is gonna lead to multiple which will lead to a raid on the pantry and any gains you made by eating so little will evaporate.  You're almost certainly underestimating how much you're gonna eat on the weekend.   4 restaurant meals per weekend?   Restaurants are where diets go to die.   And you're only gonna eat 2 meals per day without any snacking?   Ok.   
Where should I make adjustments?

To your points:

- you’re right, 250 calories of alcohol per day is too much. I will reduce that to one drink.  This is a really good point, and the alcohol is a huge part of the diet problem and always has been.  I bet if I stopped drinking, that alone would get me halfway to goal, if not more  

- I really don’t find it difficult to eat one evening meal daily.  I usually skip breakfast, and often skip lunch entirely on weekdays. It often leaves me 1k+ calories to splurge on dinner, which is a solid dinner. 

- No, we won’t eat four meals out on the weekend. But two is common, usually lunches on Saturday and Sunday. On rare occasion we actually get a babysitter and get a dinner out. 

That's another huge problem for him.  He loves to drink and drinking makes it extremely more difficult to lose weight.    
Yup. The more we talk about this, the more I’m realizing that. My problem isn’t a food problem so much as an alcohol problem. I drank a bottle of wine in a night with increasing frequency. 

While it's doable, it seems a little restrictive. 
It's way too restrictive - and processed. 30-50% of it is junk, depending on if it's a protein bar lunch or not. And I'm skeptical of the quality of the eating out food as it's likely heavy in preservatives too. And this is just in-structure Otis. In-structure Otis is not historically the problem. Out-of-structure is. This plan is setting out-of-structure Otis to fail.

You HAVE to cut down the alcohol consumption.  You can't have a drink (or more) every night.  This may be your biggest obstacle.  And, hate to say it, but if it's that difficult to do, that's not a good sign overall.
Yup. You’re right. 

Do the kids go shopping or do you guys?

That needs to change.  You need to model behavior that they take after.  Teach them early on to snack better so they don't have to struggle later on like you are now.  There are plenty of reasonable snack options that aren't garbage.  Keep fruit in the house.  Yogurt. 

Stop buying chips and cheese-its and oreos.  Go all-in as a family.  You are in charge and you are the ones that go shopping and buy what's in your house.  You have 100% control over those decisions.  The only buy-in you need is your wife.  And I would hope she would be on board if it's a way to get you healthier as well as your children.
Do you have kids?

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Where should I make adjustments?

To your points:

- you’re right, 250 calories of alcohol per day is too much. I will reduce that to one drink.  This is a really good point, and the alcohol is a huge part of the diet problem and always has been.  I bet if I stopped drinking, that alone would get me halfway to goal, if not more  

- I really don’t find it difficult to eat one evening meal daily.  I usually skip breakfast, and often skip lunch entirely on weekdays. It often leaves me 1k+ calories to splurge on dinner, which is a solid dinner. 

- No, we won’t eat four meals out on the weekend. But two is common, usually lunches on Saturday and Sunday. On rare occasion we actually get a babysitter and get a dinner out. 
I would set a goal of TWO drinks during the week and TWO drinks on the weekend.  Period.  Either have 2 glasses of wine one night M-F and be done or have a single drink over 2 days.  Drinking every single day is going to make it hard to be successful.  As you said, this is a major contributor to where you are. 

Once you get to a healthier lifestyle and see that you can maintain, then you'll see you can be a little more free with it although you'll also realize you don't need it as often. 

It's way too restrictive - and processed. 30-50% of it is junk, depending on if it's a protein bar lunch or not. And I'm skeptical of the quality of the eating out food as it's likely heavy in preservatives too. And this is just in-structure Otis. In-structure Otis is not historically the problem. Out-of-structure is. This plan is setting out-of-structure Otis to fail.
Actually I think the stuff we eat out isn’t awful. On the weekend usually one day is a high quality Mexican place. Chips and salsa, guacamole, some fish tacos, some sangria. And I think they use pretty fresh ingredients. I’m not eating pizzas at TGIFridays. 

I would set a goal of TWO drinks during the week and TWO drinks on the weekend.  Period.  Either have 2 glasses of wine one night M-F and be done or have a single drink over 2 days.  Drinking every single day is going to make it hard to be successful.  As you said, this is a major contributor to where you are.
Oof. That sounds tough. But yeah, it would free up a ton of calories, alleviate bad decisions, and make me feel better in the mornings. Not to mention save us some bucks each month. 

Do you have kids?
Three of them.  And my oldest is older than yours.  So I know how this works. 

The schools here work on giving kids healthy food.  They request healthy snacks.  We keep fruit in our house.  My kids don't ask for chips or oreos because we don't keep it in the house regularly. 

I'm not saying we NEVER get these things.  It's not that they aren't allowed to have them.  We just don't buy that stuff regularly. 

Did you potty train your kids?  Teach them to dress themselves?  Or any number of things that your kids hated at first but then learned and/or got used to?  Your kids might get pissed for the first few days or even weeks.  But then it's the new normal.  Remember, you're in charge. 

Yep.

Otis, what happens when you have to travel for work?  Or there's some get together and you're pounding drinks or stuffing your face with the spread that's out? 

This isn't an alcohol problem.  Or a snack problem.  Or an eating out problem.  It's just an overall lifestyle of putting stuff in your mouth without thinking about it.  And doing too much of it.  You're coming up with a plan which is great.  But, as Mac said above, you need to look at that plan and ask yourself if it's going to work when it's not just your normal day. 

I'd make a much longer list of foods you can eat.  Mix it up some.  Don't be so restrictive.  But make it good food that 1)  you like 2)  is good for you 3)  Is easy to get no matter where you are 4)  You aren't going to overeat on. 

If you try to eat a salad every day for lunch, you're going to hate your life in 2 months.  You need to find something you can see yourself still doing 10 years from now.

Users who are viewing this thread