What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (14 Viewers)

Guys, if you’re unwilling to eat home-grown organic pistachios every 45 minutes, there’s really no point in trying so you may as well just jam a clog in your artery right now and get it over with.

Look, either you have a personal fridge full of cottage cheese in your office, or you’re weighing three bills. Full stop. 

Lots of really great useless suggestions in here. Can we get back to some more of the good and reasonable ones?  Yes I understand that if I don’t take the family out for lunch, but instead stay home and chop organic produce, that’s going to be a healthy choice. I thought the whole point here was not to do such ridiculous and extreme changes?  Every time I’ve done that, the moderate diet dudes go bananas. So now I’m trying to come up with a plan for moderate changes that will improve my health and and get me to goal, and suddenly it’s all “if you touch a drop of alcohol or go out to a restaurant you’ve already failed. Me?  I don’t let my children eat cookies, and instead of going out I chop produce, and instead of ever having a drink I go hike in the local mountains to quench my thirst.”  It’s good reverse shtick happening right now. 

Eat 2,000 calories a day and do 30 minutes of exercise 4 times a week.  You can drink all 2,000 calories if you want, just don't go over that total.

Lots of really great useless suggestions in here. Can we get back to some more of the good and reasonable ones?  Yes I understand that if I don’t take the family out for lunch, but instead stay home and chop organic produce, that’s going to be a healthy choice. I thought the whole point here was not to do such ridiculous and extreme changes?  Every time I’ve done that, the moderate diet dudes go bananas. So now I’m trying to come up with a plan for moderate changes that will improve my health and and get me to goal, and suddenly it’s all “if you touch a drop of alcohol or go out to a restaurant you’ve already failed. Me?  I don’t let my children eat cookies, and instead of going out I chop produce, and instead of ever having a drink I go hike in the local mountains to quench my thirst.”  It’s good reverse shtick happening right now. 
Then just embrace life as a fat guy. It's not complicated. There are negative consequences that come with it. If you're at peace with it then who are we to play moral police. Just stop pretending to try to be something you don't want to be - and aren't going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then just embrace life as a fat guy. It's not complicated. There are negative consequences that come with it. If you're at peace with it then who are we to play moral police. Just stop pretending to try to be something you don't want to be - and aren't going to be.
I think the point I'm making is that I believe there is middle ground between being a big fat unhealthy guy and "if ever I have even the thought of going to a restaurant, I drop and do 20 and then eat a handful of kale."

Day 85/100

Woke up this afternoon ready for a 5 mile run. Didn't hit home for a few minutes, but it was thunder and lightning that woke me up. Crap. Rain finally dissipated, but I didn't have time to get 5 miles in before football tonight. Fine. Ran a solid 2 miles, and currently on my couch waiting for the Browns to wreck Tampa's season before it even starts. 5 miles on tap for tomorrow.

Bank: $850

I'd be curious to know just how much of the excess weight from our heroes is due to drinking.  Obviously no way to REALLY quantify that, but if we're talking 3 glasses of wine 4-5 nights a week, that's like 1500-1900 calories.  Obviously this is really rough math, but that alone is like 2 lbs a month. 

I'd be curious to know just how much of the excess weight from our heroes is due to drinking.  Obviously no way to REALLY quantify that, but if we're talking 3 glasses of wine 4-5 nights a week, that's like 1500-1900 calories.  Obviously this is really rough math, but that alone is like 2 lbs a month. 
This thread got me wondering about this today.  Last night alone I drank an entire bottle of red wine, and that was after having a glass of white on the flight earlier in the day.  I don't drink a whole bottle every night, but it happens more often than it should.  But that's like what, 600 calories in booze just that day?  And I probably had, hell, 20 other drinks in week?

So yea.  The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if I did nothing other than just quit drinking, that alone would probably get me to goal.  It's becoming clear to me that mine isn't so much a food issue.

Probably not nearly as much as the excess nutella weight i'm carrying around.  We all have our vices.

I think the point I'm making is that I believe there is middle ground between being a big fat unhealthy guy and "if ever I have even the thought of going to a restaurant, I drop and do 20 and then eat a handful of kale."
I just mowed down food truck fare and three beers of unknown quantities. I'm going to drink more beers now and probably more bad food. Then I'm running 12 miles tomorrow. It's called balance. It's on you to figure out your own. 

This thread got me wondering about this today.  Last night alone I drank an entire bottle of red wine, and that was after having a glass of white on the flight earlier in the day.  I don't drink a whole bottle every night, but it happens more often than it should.  But that's like what, 600 calories in booze just that day?  And I probably had, hell, 20 other drinks in week?

So yea.  The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if I did nothing other than just quit drinking, that alone would probably get me to goal.  It's becoming clear to me that mine isn't so much a food issue.
You don't have to quit drinking.  Quit drinking so much.  You are bright guy.  Put a reasonable plan in place and stick to it.  

If you look in the mirror and look at your drinking habits, the weight gain is just a symptom of a bigger problem. That's not normal drinking behavior.  That's alcoholic drinking behavior. 

I know you'll come up with some snarky reply or think I have no idea what I'm talking about.  

That amount of alcohol consumption at your age is going to lead to some serious problems for you down the road. Not if, but when.  

You better keep working hard now and save lots of money. This way at least your family and kids will have something to remember you by in 20 years. 

Just throwing this out there:

Risks of heavy alcohol use

While moderate alcohol use may offer some health benefits, heavy drinking — including binge drinking — has no health benefits.

Heavy drinking is defined as more than three drinks on any day or more than seven drinks a week for women and for men older than age 65, and more than four drinks on any day or more than 14 drinks a week for men age 65 and younger.
I know, I know, that doesn't really apply to you.  You function at work and home just fine.

Just keep on reading about the health problems coming down the pipeline.

I'd venture a guess that you couldn't go a week without having a single drink without significant difficulty.

Just throwing this out there:

I know, I know, that doesn't really apply to you.  You function at work and home just fine.

Just keep on reading about the health problems coming down the pipeline.

I'd venture a guess that you couldn't go a week without having a single drink without significant difficulty.
No question I’m a functioning alcoholic based on stuff like this. 

PS just back from a party at the neighbors.   Lit up. Pouring wine now to finish off the night. 

It’s a factor for sure. I used to consume a lot of craft beer. 

No question I’m a functioning alcoholic based on stuff like this. 

PS just back from a party at the neighbors.   Lit up. Pouring wine now to finish off the night. 
Cheers gb. Wife and I splitting a bottle of nice red tonight to celebrate a work achievement. 

Cauliflower pizza, shrimp cocktail, and an Atkins bar to accompany. 

I just mowed down food truck fare and three beers of unknown quantities. I'm going to drink more beers now and probably more bad food. Then I'm running 12 miles tomorrow. It's called balance. It's on you to figure out your own. 
boom!  i call it, paying the piper.  i did legs yesterday.  then i drank a bunch of champagne at a work event.  too much of it.  today, i had to pay the piper.  my legs said, "don't do it"  my light hangover, agreed.  45 minutes of varying cardio, with my heart rate constantly above 150.  followed by 10+ minutes in the sauna.  came out feeling fantastic!  i was sweating like an NBA player.  it was awesome.  

Quit drinking for a month... see what happens.  Quit for 2 weeks...
i've brought this up before.  i used to not drink for lent.  my weight loss wouldn't happen until the 5th week or so.  then it would fall off like crazy.  15 lbs easy.  mostly in the last 2-3 weeks.  so again, commitment is the key.  if one doesn't see any major results for a month or so.....will one keep it up?

boom!  i call it, paying the piper.  i did legs yesterday.  then i drank a bunch of champagne at a work event.  too much of it.  today, i had to pay the piper.  my legs said, "don't do it"  my light hangover, agreed.  45 minutes of varying cardio, with my heart rate constantly above 150.  followed by 10+ minutes in the sauna.  came out feeling fantastic!  i was sweating like an NBA player.  it was awesome.  
I did legs yesterday morning and spent almost three hours yesterday evening digging up a crushed storm drain.  Went to dinner last night and didn't even have my typical one IPA or bourbon.  I knew I was going to be digging another hour or two this morning and was already going to struggling enough today.   I'm pretty sore this morning and the last thing I need is a slight hangover headache.  My 50-year old body can't take the physical beating like it did 20 years ago but at least I know not to make things worse with booze.  With age comes wisdom.  

Stocked the house with flavored seltzers.  I'll be drinking just coffee and water going forward. 

Went to the supermarket and picked up some bananas and cantaloupes, and some mixed cut up vegetables to throw on the grill.

Stocked the house with flavored seltzers.  I'll be drinking just coffee and water going forward. 

Went to the supermarket and picked up some bananas and cantaloupes, and some mixed cut up vegetables to throw on the grill.
Sucker.

I went out for Mexican for breakfast while you were doing that.

Im going to costco, but im not gonna buy the bag of godiva dark chocolates that a colleague let me try yesterday. Thats the discipline otis.   

Without blueberries and organic, fresh ground kale you’re done. 

Day 86/100

5 miles, non-stop. Oof. So much sweat, I literally looked like I pissed myself. Stepped on the scale before and after, and there was a 3.8lb difference. Tomorrow will definitely be a yoga day.

Bank: $860
Hold my beer.

I routinely drop 6-7 lbs during a run from sweat.

Last night was the first time I went to bed completely sober since I can remember. Felt fantastic. 
Waking up feeling great because the booze was avoided the previous night is enjoyable and addictive.  Now go harvest that kale and get that smoothie made.  

Users who are viewing this thread