Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis annual fad diet thread - Tecumseh on day 99/100; Otis back on booze; woz in the lead

10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Another one in the 3 kids crowd - age 3, 6, and 9. Junk food ends up in the house via holidays and grandparents, but I do the grocery shopping and I rarely buy any of it. I get them breakfast (some cereal and fruit) and pack their lunch (sandwich and fruit).  Our nanny will give them some sort of salty snack in the afternoon then my wife makes dinner, which includes vegetables. They can have whatever they want for a snack after all that. And I wish we were more restrictive.

Also, our grocery list for the weekend: Cottage Cheese, Milk, Eggs, Coffee, Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, Bananas, Grapes, Apples, Oranges, Avocados, Peas, Red Leaf, Bell Peppers, Cucumber, Grape Tomatoes, Hummus. And most importantly, don't veer from it. Get the items on the list then get out.

Mine are 3, 6, and 14. Much of this is the same for us except our kids eat school lunch. Breakfast is either a smoothie, or yogurt, or eggs, or a bagel. 

Our recent grocery list: milk, eggs, yogurt, green onions, jelly, strawberries, mangoes, bananas, tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, sweet peppers, catfish, salmon, steak, ground pork, lemons, mushrooms, provolone cheese, mozzarella cheese, strawberry ice cream.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

He won't do it, but alcohol just needs to go. There are too many other holes already in this plan. 

What would you recommend?

54 minutes ago, Otis said:

Real food and no booze.

The only thing you drink is black coffee and water - don't drink your calories. If the food comes in a bag or a box then you don't eat it. Ensuring you don't go over a certain calorie number is important when in lose-mode and it's much easier to attain by following those rules. Then since this will take months your tastebuds will change. Some things you'll can't wait to get away from, but some will stick. You'll reintroduce some cheats back into your life you missed, but you're more likely to be reasonable about it. You still need to think about what you're doing day-to-day and week-to-week, but your instincts will drive you towards more healthy decisions.

You need a total system overhaul. It's good that you're thinking about this as that's step one, but what you put out there will not work. There is no nutritional value in most of it.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

I'd recommend no eating out, no alcohol and frequent meals containing lean meats (the easiest thing imaginable is just getting the pack of chicken breast meat that costco has that they pull directly off of their rotisserie chicken), veggies (lots of them), beans and potatoes (nuked version of course).   Eat that 4 or 5 times a day.   For a snack, I'd go with cottage cheese or some blue berries.  

Every time you want to snack, drink some water.  When you walk by the fridge and open it just to look, ask yourself "do I REALLY need something now".  Most of the time we eat or snack because it's habit or we're bored.  It's not true hunger.  It takes some will power and time to break that habit, but once you do, it's easy. 

For you, though, you need to shop better and put yourself in a position to succeed.  Heroin addicts don't get sober by staying in a home full of heroin.  That's what you're doing to yourself when you keep unhealthy foods at home.  It doesn't make sense, yet it's something that's overlooked.

• Like 1

Just now, gianmarco said:

Every time you want to snack, drink some water.  When you walk by the fridge and open it just to look, ask yourself "do I REALLY need something now".  Most of the time we eat or snack because it's habit or we're bored.  It's not true hunger.  It takes some will power and time to break that habit, but once you do, it's easy. 

For you, though, you need to shop better and put yourself in a position to succeed.  Heroin addicts don't get sober by staying in a home full of heroin.  That's what you're doing to yourself when you keep unhealthy foods at home.  It doesn't make sense, yet it's something that's overlooked.

I hurt my arm in the gym about 10 years ago and couldn't work out for 6 months.  I could have done cardio type of training but chose not to.   Instead, I drank tons of beer and ate burgers, wings, fries and pizza like a maniac.  Within about 6 months I gained 20 pounds and my blood work was horrible.  My cholesterol and triglyceride levels were almost twice what they should be.  The doc was going to put me on meds if I didn't change my lifestyle.  He has been my doc for a long time and I know now that he was giving me the push back to my healthy lifestyle that I needed.  

I posted the blood work results on the fridge, started walking 30-60 minutes every night after work, cleaned up my diet, and cut beer down to a few on weekends.  I live in NE OH so walking in cold rain, snow, and ice wasn't enjoyable but I was on a mission.  I lost the 20 pounds almost as fast as I had put it on.   I don't currently eat as well as I did then but I turn to MFP to get back on track a few times a year and walk almost every day.  I have never gone back to drinking much.  I feel so much better at about 200 pounds and without much booze.

My point in this rambling is that Woz and Otis can do this once they truly make a healthier lifestyle their mission.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Better plan?

Eat something filling and healthy before the draft (optional)

Eat one slice of pizza. 

Done.

Not a bad plan. Won't kill me to have slice - just need to moderate myself down from the prior practice of having like 3 slices, wings, and a couple of craft beers. 

Already plan to bring a limited supply of vodka to drink and cut myself off when it's done. Maybe I'll just enjoy myself on the pizza in moderation. 

49 minutes ago, Otis said:

Um, that’s not dust. It’s the white powder from your donuts.  

Pffft no way. I don't even eat powdered donuts.

I like glazed. 

Edited by Zow

43 minutes ago, Otis said:

I like the idea of a plan but take some of the great advice provided by other posters.  Don't go crazy.  Make the plan reasonable.  Add some fruits and veggies and make the goal to lose 1 pound/week. You will lose more than that for the first few weeks by making some simple changes any way.  

Cut way back on the booze.  Ask your wife to join you on this journey.  You don't need a drink every day.   

I have a 9- year old daughter and we have snacks in the house.  However, we don't keep much and she gets to snack on what she wants after she snacks on fruit, carrots, yogurt, or cheese.  Kids should enjoy a couple of Oreos or ice cream occasionally.  And, she eats healthy meals like us every day, including weekends.  She has fries on occasion too but she eats baked potatoes and veggies more often.  It's about balance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I like the idea of a plan but take some of the great advice provided by other posters.  Don't go crazy.  Make the plan reasonable.  Add some fruits and veggies and make the goal to lose 1 pound/week. You will lose more than that for the first few weeks by making some simple changes any way.  

Cut way back on the booze.  Ask your wife to join you on this journey.  You don't need a drink every day.   

I have a 9- year old daughter and we have snacks in the house.  However, we don't keep much and she gets to snack on what she wants after she snacks on fruit, carrots, yogurt, or cheese.  Kids should enjoy a couple of Oreos or ice cream occasionally.  And, she eats healthy meals like us every day, including weekends.  She has fries on occasion too but she eats baked potatoes and veggies more often.  It's about balance. 

Absolutely.  This is just part of being a kid.   As long as your kid is getting some good stuff in her and getting some exercise, she'll be fine.   

My coworker just let me have a godiva dark chocolate that he got from costco.   I'm not a big dark chocolate guy, but that was tasty.  Do not buy those if you're trying to lose weight.   

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

I'd recommend no eating out, no alcohol and frequent meals containing lean meats (the easiest thing imaginable is just getting the pack of chicken breast meat that costco has that they pull directly off of their rotisserie chicken), veggies (lots of them), beans and potatoes (nuked version of course).   Eat that 4 or 5 times a day.   For a snack, I'd go with cottage cheese or some blue berries.  

Yeah I ain’t bringing cottage cheese and blueberries to work every day. 

• Like 1

Just now, Otis said:

I don't think you're doing any of what I suggested.  :lol:     Another snack I like is this korean bbq pork jerky that costco has.

8 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

I don't think you're doing any of what I suggested.  :lol:     Another snack I like is this korean bbq pork jerky that costco has.

I do appreciate and will try to work in most of these suggestions. But you dudes who are like “Otis just have some fresh avocado and cottage cheese with grated pimento as a 10am snack” or “don’t keep any cookies in your house despite that you have three kids under age 9” are on a starship. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Otis said:

My office is kind enough to have small bags of almonds and cashews in our break room as well as some health/protein bars.  I intend to take advantage of this if I get too hungry between meals. 

I need to workout.  Back up to 190ish give or take a pizza. Can't ever go back above 200. I was always fat as a kid growing up after about the age of 10 and gain weight very easily. Poor genes on my moms side. In about two months we will be moving and building a small home gym that will help a lot, but I need to start sooner. :suds:

Edited by madshot31
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Otis said:

I do appreciate and will try to work in most of these suggestions. But you dudes who are like “Otis just have some fresh avocado and cottage cheese with grated pimento as a 10am snack” or “don’t keep any cookies in your house despite that you have three kids under age 9” are on a starship. 

Just accept being overweight.  You love the benefits of working a highly demanding job and you love to drink.   You've got a great life.   You're rich and provided theres no serious health history in your family, you'll live to 80 if not longer.   

Edited by NutterButter

Just now, NutterButter said:

Just accept being overweight.  You love the benefits of working a highly demanding job and you love to drink.   You've got a great life.   You're rich and provided theres no serious health history in your family, you'll live to 80.   

You’re suggesting I guess either we can’t have cookies in the house and I must bring cottage cheese and blueberries to work; or otherwise I should just accept being overweight?  

26 minutes ago, Zow said:

My office is kind enough to have small bags of almonds and cashews in our break room as well as some health/protein bars.  I intend to take advantage of this if I get too hungry between meals. 

Nuts are dangerous.  They're healthy, but loaded with calories.   

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:30 AM, DocHolliday said:

We're all with you.   Please start a new journey. The last one was over before it even started.   I think that was potatoes a few weeks ago.  Try something crazy.  How about bread and water or salads and beer?   Maybe just cereal or only fried chicken?   

Or, you could walk for 30-60 minutes a day and eat smaller meal portions while cutting out almost all booze and junk food.  That seems boring and too simple to actually work though.  We need a fad diet for the win.  

This guy gets it. Slow, steady and sustainable lifestyle changes win the weight loss race.

Just now, Otis said:

You’re suggesting I guess either we can’t have cookies in the house and I must bring cottage cheese and blueberries to work; or otherwise I should just accept being overweight?  

We know those things are just the tip of the iceberg 

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Shark  Hawk move = get the Quest cookies.  I have shared a Quest cookie with my two year old the last two days and she thinks it's the same as a regular cookie. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, Otis said:

Wtf

Controversial study suggests non-meat eatersare more at risk of physical and mental illness, despite leading healthier lifestyles. Vegetariansare less healthy than meat-eaters, a controversial study has concluded, despite drinking less, smoking less and being more physically active than their carnivorouscounterparts ..

That would be the first study ever with those conclusions, but I’d love to see a link.

54 minutes ago, Otis said:

Eating my cottage cheese with blueberries at my desk right now. Gonna go lift once I'm done.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

No, but you having that take away was very predictable. You have no interest in changing anything about your lifestyle. So you won't. And you're just going to continue to be a fat guy that's occasionally less fat.

17 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

We know those things are just the tip of the iceberg 

Yep - it's why I said system overhaul earlier. None of your priorities involve being healthy. I think i wrote the exact same thing earlier this summer, but they either need to change or you just need to embrace being a fat guy and the negative consequences that will eventually come with it.

38 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Eating my cottage cheese with blueberries at my desk right now. Gonna go lift once I'm done.

What time do you get home and harvest the kale from the organic garden in your yard?

On 8/19/2019 at 5:54 AM, gianmarco said:

@Zow

So, couple questions/observations

1) Common story. I was there to some degree. It's easy to allow it to happen. But once it does, it's a lifestyle. It's not a lack of time, even though time is a precious commodity and you may have less free time than you were used to when single and 27 years old. That said, eating habits don't take that much additional time. It's a matter of making the lifestyle change back for the better.  If you look hard at it, it's just an excuse for not wanting to commit to that change.  Most of the weight gain (and subsequent weight loss) are diet related. The exercise is there for further health and should be included. But at least address the major part of the weight problem.

2) Would you care if your wife put on 60 pounds after you married her? Does she care that you have? That would be an issue for some and not an illegitimate concern either.

3) I posed this question to Otis already. Do you want to be around for your grandkids? Do you want to be able to be active with them. Carrying an additional 60 pounds is going to limit both of those if it continues long term. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for them. Not to mention modeling the behavior of taking care of yourself that you can pass on.

The bet is all well and good, but it should only be viewed as a jumping off point. Use it to see changes early on but decide now that it's going to be your last weight loss bet because you won't need one in the future. 

Mind you, I'm not some crazy skinny health nut. Far from it. But I've prioritized taking care of myself over the last few years and won't let that change again as long as I have any control over it. 

Good luck.

:goodposting: People are killing themselves at work, ostensibly to enjoy a good retirement, while sacrificing the quality of life in the golden years because of diseases earned with terrible dietary and exercise habits. There was a study in geriatrics patients that showed those with healthful behaviors not only lived several years longer than their peers, but they suffered less in the months-years preceding their deaths.

I also don’t understand why so many guys think they have no obligation to remain in decent shape for their partners, while holding her to a much different standard.

20 minutes ago, Otis said:

What time do you get home and harvest the kale from the organic garden in your yard?

Finally we're getting back to the good stuff.  Enough with all these good suggestions that you won't follow.   

3 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

:goodposting: People are killing themselves at work, ostensibly to enjoy a good retirement, while sacrificing the quality of life in the golden years because of diseases earned with terrible dietary and exercise habits. There was a study in geriatrics patients that showed those with healthful behaviors not only lived several years longer than their peers, but they suffered less in the months-years preceding their deaths.

I also don’t understand why so many guys think they have no obligation to remain in decent shape for their partners, while holding her to a much different standard.

There are those people that really do enjoy working and certainly benefit financially from it.  Its not for me, but if that's your thing, then go for it.   

As far as the partners, I think there are those women that get a twisted sense of security with their partner not being in great shape.   In addition, there are those women that like to be the center of attention so they're not nearly as concerned what their partner looks like.   I think men put a much higher value on how their partner looks then women do.   

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Losing weight is hard and takes a serious change in mindset.  Based on this post, either you are hangry, or your mindset isn't there yet.

We have junk in the house all the time with two teenage boys.  I did slip last night and had some candy, but otherwise I am good and can resist all of the temptation.  It wasn't easy and I know I will fall off the wagon again.  But you have to find the motivation to keep yourself on track.  Everyone has their own motivation.  I know mine is that I'm stubborn and I decided I wasn't going to be a slave to my cravings anymore.  That mindset helped me.  Not sure what your trigger is.

Another I had to get rid of was the mindset of treating myself for doing good on my "diet" with food that is not good for me.  "Oh, I lost 2 pounds this week?  Pizza for me!"  I'm doing Keto (because that works for me), so my "treats" are keto approved.  No more planning on eating stuff that is just going to set me back.  Planning out a diet for cheats here and there may help you get started because you see the carrot at the end of the stick, but they aren't going to help you long term because they will continue to slow your progress and keep that temptation in your mind.  Make up your mind that the junk in the house if for your kids because they can handle it, but it is not for you anymore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Finally we're getting back to the good stuff.  Enough with all these good suggestions that you won't follow.   

I think he may actually get on a road to health this time.   He needs to come to terms with some simple truths.   Guzzling booze is fun but cannot be a part of a healthy lifestyle.   Less calories must be consumed than most of us want to consume.  There are no shortcuts to losing weight and keeping it off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

I stop at a market 2x per week and load up. One time on the weekend then immediately chop what needs chopped because if I don't do it then it won't get done. Then one time on the way home from work during the week, but only getting things that don't need chopped. Because ain't no one got time for that. But there is time to take 10 minutes out of my day sometime during the week and stop at a market. And because I make it a priority I find an hour sometime during the weekend to do the more time consuming produce run.

Rather than taking that time and going to get mexican.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I, along with others, told you specifically you don't need to do that. I don't eat cottage cheese. I actually rarely snack on anything.

You need to find foods you like that are healthy and not loaded with calories. If you need to snack, have those. 

I eat just about anything. I just don't eat large portions of it anymore.

Woz going to a draft and ordering a salad is silly. That's not sustainable because after a few more times, he'll be like "this sucks" and throw in the towel. Have the pizza. But have 1 slice, not 3 or 4. Nobody needs to even notice you're dieting by your food choices.

Like Mac said, skip the processed food, cut the alcohol, eat less, exercise a bit every day. It's really that simple. Come up with a plan to get you started. But plan for the days you can't have a plan.

And yes, you don't need snacks and cookies and junk in your house because you have kids. That's your fundamental flaw. You see that as necessary. It's not. You have complete control over that. Your kids don't need to be kale chip eating monsters. There's plenty of healthy options you can keep. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DocHolliday said:

I think he may actually get on a road to health this time.   He needs to come to terms with some simple truths.   Guzzling booze is fun but cannot be a part of a healthy lifestyle.   Less calories must be consumed than most of us want to consume.  There are no shortcuts to losing weight and keeping it off.  

I've been reading the same dieting thread from Otis for years now.   Nothing ever changes.   

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 6:35 AM, gianmarco said:

You understand that it's not that you get to drop to 215 (*or whatever number you agree on) and then a year later get back down to 215*. 

You'd have to do weekly or biweekly weigh ins for a year.  You go over 215* even once and you lose the bet.

Make it 2 years, as that is the standard period the vast majority of dieters fail to remain weight loss.

23 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

You quoted the guy speaking directly to me in his post, so I'm going to have to assume this is directed at me (if it's not, okay, my bad), but I need to defend myself a bit and assure you that in no way, shape, or form have I held my wife to a different standard or had hypocritical expectations of her.  We're a team and we both gained weight together as a team. 

Edited by Zow

1 hour ago, NutterButter said:

Nuts are dangerous.  They're healthy, but loaded with calories.   

I'm presently following a Keto plan and they seem to be okay there. I recognize the calories associated therewith, though, and will be tracking such on the MyFitnessPal. 

After a couple of weeks of adjusting to this new lifestyle my intention is to incorporate keto with a net calorie intake of ~1600 (recommend by MFP) and a 16/8 fasting scheduling. 

Edited by Zow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Also, weren't we going vegan just a few pages ago? What were you planning on eating or snacking on?

2 hours ago, Otis said:

this where you fail.  i'm on that starship.  

i weighed 184# yesterday, BF around 16.5%   i eat almost entirely fresh food.  almost nothing out of a box, can or the freezer.  i drink  too much beer.  i eat cookies, that my wife makes.  i work out 4+ times a week, doing more cardio than i really like to do, but hey, reality.  i'm not looking to get swole.  those days are gone.  i look better than most people my age.  50

you're a big deal, NYC, lawyer guy.  do you have an office?  put a mini fridge in there and stock with food that's good for you.  and getting your wife involved will help.  a lot.  my wife handles all shopping and food prep.  she makes nearly everything from scratch.  i'm lucky.

GL.  i hope you can change your mental approach, because your girls deserve it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I stop at a market 2x per week and load up. One time on the weekend then immediately chop what needs chopped because if I don't do it then it won't get done. Then one time on the way home from work during the week, but only getting things that don't need chopped. Because ain't no one got time for that. But there is time to take 10 minutes out of my day sometime during the week and stop at a market. And because I make it a priority I find an hour sometime during the weekend to do the more time consuming produce run.

Rather than taking that time and going to get mexican.

upscale mexican.  with sugar loaded sangria.  

Guys, if you’re unwilling to eat home-grown organic pistachios every 45 minutes, there’s really no point in trying so you may as well just jam a clog in your artery right now and get it over with.

Look, either you have a personal fridge full of cottage cheese in your office, or you’re weighing three bills. Full stop. 

Lots of really great useless suggestions in here. Can we get back to some more of the good and reasonable ones?  Yes I understand that if I don’t take the family out for lunch, but instead stay home and chop organic produce, that’s going to be a healthy choice. I thought the whole point here was not to do such ridiculous and extreme changes?  Every time I’ve done that, the moderate diet dudes go bananas. So now I’m trying to come up with a plan for moderate changes that will improve my health and and get me to goal, and suddenly it’s all “if you touch a drop of alcohol or go out to a restaurant you’ve already failed. Me?  I don’t let my children eat cookies, and instead of going out I chop produce, and instead of ever having a drink I go hike in the local mountains to quench my thirst.”  It’s good reverse shtick happening right now. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

upscale mexican.  with sugar loaded sangria.  

And if you drink sangria you are basically going to die. 

Eat 2,000 calories a day and do 30 minutes of exercise 4 times a week.  You can drink all 2,000 calories if you want, just don't go over that total.

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

Lots of really great useless suggestions in here. Can we get back to some more of the good and reasonable ones?  Yes I understand that if I don’t take the family out for lunch, but instead stay home and chop organic produce, that’s going to be a healthy choice. I thought the whole point here was not to do such ridiculous and extreme changes?  Every time I’ve done that, the moderate diet dudes go bananas. So now I’m trying to come up with a plan for moderate changes that will improve my health and and get me to goal, and suddenly it’s all “if you touch a drop of alcohol or go out to a restaurant you’ve already failed. Me?  I don’t let my children eat cookies, and instead of going out I chop produce, and instead of ever having a drink I go hike in the local mountains to quench my thirst.”  It’s good reverse shtick happening right now. 

Then just embrace life as a fat guy. It's not complicated. There are negative consequences that come with it. If you're at peace with it then who are we to play moral police. Just stop pretending to try to be something you don't want to be - and aren't going to be.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 1

How about a pic of the current pantry? That would be interesting and tell a good story, I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, Otis said:

And if you drink sangria you are basically going to die. 

you revert to being a snarky ###, every time someone is truthful and real with you.  but go ahead, you be you.  a rotund you!

Edited by DA RAIDERS

3 hours ago, xulf said:

Eat 2,000 calories a day and do 30 minutes of exercise 4 times a week.  You can drink all 2,000 calories if you want, just don't go over that total.

Now we're cookin' with gas.