What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

My brother had success with low carbs and since I have about 40 lbs I need to lose I decided to give it a shot starting Monday. Down 4.4 lbs. already this morning.  I like this.

I miss beer.

The below would be vastly different if I exercised less.

---

Breakfast - half bagel and a banana

Morning snack - oatmeal

Pre workout - nuts and an orange

Post workout - protein drink or cottage cheese w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) and a hard boiled egg

Lunch - sushi or a deli sandwich (turkey/roast beef w/swiss, mustard and veggies) + a brown rice/quinoa side or baked potato (on late afternoon run days)

Afternoon snack - raw veggies (green/red/orange/yellow peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes) 

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - pretzels or pizza crust + maybe a few fruit snacks

Post run - avocado (and gatorade if run > an hour)

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad)
So this changed and I dropped 5 lbs in a month.  Go figure.

---

Breakfast - oatmeal, orange, and hard boiled egg

Pre workout - banana

Post workout - protein drink or cottage cheese w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) 

Lunch - sushi, a deli sandwich (turkey/roast beef w/swiss, mustard and veggies), or a tuna concoction w/tomato + onion + olives + lemon juice + parsley

Afternoon snack - raw veggies (green/red/orange/yellow peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes) w/hummus

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - nuts 

Post run - avocado (and gatorade if run > an hour)

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad) + brown rice/black beans/quinoa/baked potato

---

Basically, adding the carb at dinner allowed me to push breakfast back to between 9 and 10 am.  I was then able to eliminate empty carbs during the day I previously needed for workout fuel purposes.  I'll still have pretzels and fruit snacks on stand by, but have only needed to dip into that reserve a couple times. Bagels are now completely out and nuts/oatmeal aren't an every day thing. The tuna concoction was critical too.  It isn't enough on 2-a-day's, but if I'm only working out over lunch?  It's sufficient.

Week 15 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 180.0

Last Week:  165.0  (Week 12)

Current Weight:  168.1

Overall Lost: 11.9 lbs

I’ve mostly recovered from my vacation but not quite back on Keto.  What I have done is IF almost daily since I got back.  But I also finished off the beer that was leftover from vacation :bag:  - no alcohol for a while starting today.  
About time for an update here.  172.4 today.  

The Good - I’m working out again.  I’ve “run” 4 times in the last 2 weeks which makes me very happy even if it’s slow as molasses. IF - I’m doing this fairly often and is a great tool for me.  I’ll need to reconsider this as I ramp up exercise but right now it’s probably one of the biggest reasons I haven’t gone off the rails

The Bad - I’ve basically been off Keto for 2 months.  I’m still fairly low carb and I’ve improved my diet some (lots of soup and salads) but still need to change my diet more to lose the stubborn belly fat

The Ugly - I love this time of year (except my allergies) - warm weather, lots of outdoor activities and swimming, yard work - and I’m drinking all the ####ty light beer.  I went out for 4 miles last night and when I got home I was covered in sweat and thirsty as hell.  Pulled out an ice cold beer and it was one of the greatest tasting beers I’ve ever had.  I’m not sure I can cut it out or want to more than I want to lose more.  We will see

About time for an update here.  172.4 today.  

The Good - I’m working out again.  I’ve “run” 4 times in the last 2 weeks which makes me very happy even if it’s slow as molasses. IF - I’m doing this fairly often and is a great tool for me.  I’ll need to reconsider this as I ramp up exercise but right now it’s probably one of the biggest reasons I haven’t gone off the rails

The Bad - I’ve basically been off Keto for 2 months.  I’m still fairly low carb and I’ve improved my diet some (lots of soup and salads) but still need to change my diet more to lose the stubborn belly fat

The Ugly - I love this time of year (except my allergies) - warm weather, lots of outdoor activities and swimming, yard work - and I’m drinking all the ####ty light beer.  I went out for 4 miles last night and when I got home I was covered in sweat and thirsty as hell.  Pulled out an ice cold beer and it was one of the greatest tasting beers I’ve ever had.  I’m not sure I can cut it out or want to more than I want to lose more.  We will see
Think I wold stay on this routine and enjoy living.  Looks like you found a sweet spot of diet, exercise, and some beer.  

So.....

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I jumped back into Keto.  I was down roughly 15 pounds after 2 weeks, however it was giving me the poops in a bad way.  The sneaky kind when you have to run to the bathroom in the middle of a meeting.  I jumped off and back onto the Weight Watchers app as this happened twice.  I was thinking yesterday of jumping back into Keto as I was reading about Keto Chow, when what showed up in the mail?

https://imgur.com/a/ISHFQc9

So.....

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I jumped back into Keto.  I was down roughly 15 pounds after 2 weeks, however it was giving me the poops in a bad way.  The sneaky kind when you have to run to the bathroom in the middle of a meeting.  I jumped off and back onto the Weight Watchers app as this happened twice.  I was thinking yesterday of jumping back into Keto as I was reading about Keto Chow, when what showed up in the mail?

https://imgur.com/a/ISHFQc9
What's that mean?  Is that the Weight Watchers symbol?

Not going to lie it was pretty motivational.  Also when I dropped of Keto I gained 7 pounds back over a WEEKEND!
That how I went up from 165 to a little over 170.  It’s crazy but I was pleased I’ve stabilized here.  I do think I’m going to go back to Keto soon for an extended period 

Been Keto for about 4 weeks and down 14.6 lbs. Going to be a normal person for memorial day weekend and then will reasses what exactly I want to do. I never thought I would get sick of cheese.

Trying a new approach for my beach cut.  Basically going keto all but ~90 minutes of a day and for those 90 minutes go ham on everything. So it's a hybrid carb cycle/IF/keto approach.

Down to 169/13% with eyes on 165 in 2 weeks.  

Really struggled this year with some back issues, but those are 98% behind me now.  It's transformed my lifting into more high rep type full body stuff and that's been different, but good.

culdeus said:
Trying a new approach for my beach cut.  Basically going keto all but ~90 minutes of a day and for those 90 minutes go ham on everything. So it's a hybrid carb cycle/IF/keto approach.

Really struggled this year with some back issues, but those are 98% behind me now.  It's transformed my lifting into more high rep type full body stuff and that's been different, but good.
So you are basically just eating all carbs during those 90 minutes?  I’m assuming “clean” carbs?

I wouldn't say all carbs. But I would say the overwhelming hit in that timeframe from mostly potatoes I would say.  
I meant all the carbs you are eating for the day.  Interesting - what’s the logic here, that you want the carbs for exercise but want to clear your insulin to promote fat burning?

I meant all the carbs you are eating for the day.  Interesting - what’s the logic here, that you want the carbs for exercise but want to clear your insulin to promote fat burning?
Basically.  Sort of beta testing my theory that low carb can be periodized such that you can maintain high intensity workouts and fat burn.  

N=1

culdeus said:

As I get older, I cannot push around the heavy weight without getting aches and pains. But it seems like building muscle requires working out heavy weights.  How effective is your new work out compared to a heavy weight and 6-10 rep routine?  

As I get older, I cannot push around the heavy weight without getting aches and pains. But it seems like building muscle requires working out heavy weights.  How effective is your new work out compared to a heavy weight and 6-10 rep routine?  
I'm mostly trying to increase volume through varying in the 15-20 range and using a lot shorter rest periods.  

I've been using some of the philosophy of the Yessis method.  The workouts are more enjoyable than just running the same 3-4 compounds per workout.  

I'll probably swap back relatively soon. Arms have seen the most benefits :gunshots:

Alright it’s time. For real this time. Gonna cut down on the alcohol and junk food starting tomorrow. Thinking I’ll go keto for a while.  Need to lose 20. Ready steady go. 

172.0 - down half a pound after a long weekend with lots of beer and BBQ - I’ll take it.  Plan is to fast a couple of days but we’ll see how it goes.

Ok making the first big change today, which tends to trigger all the rest. GIVING UP BOOZE.  Need to do it for a variety of reasons, not the lease of which being the 10lbs of bloat I’ll shed almost instantly. We’ll see how long it can last; I have a stockpile of my trusty old Bud Select 55s for when needed, but won’t be tapping into those for a while. 

Jumping back in.  I think I said that a few weeks ago, but it is for real this time (gawd, I sound like Otis.  I guess that's why I'm here).

Starting a program with the wife today.  She actually started yesterday, but I was under the weather having started day 1 of giving up caffeine, so my day 1 is today. 

Starting weight 192.

Pg 4 save. 

I got back on the keto train for about 2 weeks. it worked great for me last year, but this time for some reason I had almost 0 progress. Not sure why. I was pretty strict and watched my carbs closely but it wasn't happening. 

Since that wasn't really working for me, and because I also want to add some muscle and tone, I'm trying something different. I'm still going to go low carb, but I am going to try to stay under 100g per day, rather than under 20. I'm logging everything in mfp and staying under 1800 cals/day.

The other major change I'm making is dramatically increasing my physical activity. I have resolved to either run or weight train for 100 days straight. Every day when I complete the activity, I am transferring $10 from my checking to an old savings account that only had like $5 in it. At the end of my 100 days, I'll have $1000 to do whatever I want with.

Day one was a 1 mile run and an upper body workout at the gym. Day 2 was a 3 mile run (well, 2 miles running, one mile walking). Today is day 3, and it was back to the gym for leg day. I'm going to weigh myself on days 30, 60, and 100. I'll post updates if anyone is interested.

Starting weight: 223.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok making the first big change today, which tends to trigger all the rest. GIVING UP BOOZE.  Need to do it for a variety of reasons, not the lease of which being the 10lbs of bloat I’ll shed almost instantly. We’ll see how long it can last; I have a stockpile of my trusty old Bud Select 55s for when needed, but won’t be tapping into those for a while. 
this is the real key, my friend.  i have made the decision to more or less stop drinking.  over the last month, i drank at my brother's wedding(many, many beers) , and had 2 beers today.  that's it.  i'll report back in another few weeks and see what the results are.  i've been stuck at the 182-186 threshold for a while and think it's probably the booze. that, and the resulting crap food.  

Week ?? Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 180.0

Last Week:  172.0

Current Weight:  169.9

Lost this round:  10.1 lbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 1 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 213.3
Current Weight: 208.8
Last Week: 213.3
Week Lost: 4.5 lbs
Total Lost: 4.5 lbs

Overall Starting Weight: 237.5  (start of 2017)
Current Weight: 208.8
Total Lost: 28.7 lbs

I'm not surprised with the winter/holiday weight gain - it's a pattern for me every year.  But I really felt I was prepared to limit the damage.  Had a very stressful last 3 months which I know contributed - but it's just an excuse.  Back at it now though so let's do this.
213.3 down to 169.9 since 1/1.

so down 43.1 since the beginning of 2019

Holy crap that’s awesome. How you doing it?
Early in the year Keto.  I’ve moved to IF and more good carbs on some days.  Some days look Keto, some days I’ll have a little rice or beans or sweet potatoes.  Some days I’ll cheat and some days I’ll completely fast and eat nothing.  And for the last 2 months finally able to mix in exercise.

AAABatteries official weigh-in:

5'11"

Midnight weigh-in was 241.7, pre-dump 238.1.  
Pretty sure we did a weight loss before this that I participated in but don't feel like looking it up. 

Also, I know this wasn't my highest - I was more but never broke 250 (that I'm aware of).  I'll go with my pre-dump weight as it's still technically the highest I've been that's recorded anywhere.

Then 241.7

Now 169.9

***Official total weight loss for AAA*** - 71.8 lbs

I have a few goals at this point:

• Maintain where I'm at but lose 10 pounds of fat and add 5 pounds of muscle (approximately) - do this for another year or so to hopefully lower my set point
  • Get my blood work redone (last time was still borderline on A1C number
  • Continue staying active and working out - want to do at least one more triathlon some day
I keep thinking about trying to get really SHREDDED but I'm not sure I'm dedicated enough or more likely just too far gone at this point in time (45 and many years of being obese).  I look pretty good for the average 45 year old now but still a layer of fat around my stomach.  I do see it melting slowly so maybe if I can keep this up and mix in the fasting and weights I'll get there. 

We need some more activity in here - somebody do something crazy like only eat broccoli for a month.

Do you do any cardio?  100% lifting?

Are you resetting the bank to zero if you miss a day?
No, it'll just be $10 less fun money in the end. I thought about resetting, but I'm trying to frame the challenge as consistency and forming healthy habits, with the money just being a bonus to look forward to. I feel like resetting is too punitive.

I've decided not to set a goal weight. I'm going to do this thing, be deliberate about only weighing in on days 30, 60, and 100, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm hoping to be sub-200 by the end, but that's just hoping, not goal-setting.

Do you do any cardio?  100% lifting?
I've mostly transitioned to doing lighter high rep stuff as cardio.  It gets the heart rate up just as well. So I'll do 3-4 heavier days a week and 2-3 lighter more conditioning type stuff as well with a rest day.  I also consistent walk.  

Pg 4 save. 

I got back on the keto train for about 2 weeks. it worked great for me last year, but this time for some reason I had almost 0 progress. Not sure why. I was pretty strict and watched my carbs closely but it wasn't happening. 

Since that wasn't really working for me, and because I also want to add some muscle and tone, I'm trying something different. I'm still going to go low carb, but I am going to try to stay under 100g per day, rather than under 20. I'm logging everything in mfp and staying under 1800 cals/day.

The other major change I'm making is dramatically increasing my physical activity. I have resolved to either run or weight train for 100 days straight. Every day when I complete the activity, I am transferring $10 from my checking to an old savings account that only had like $5 in it. At the end of my 100 days, I'll have $1000 to do whatever I want with.

Day one was a 1 mile run and an upper body workout at the gym. Day 2 was a 3 mile run (well, 2 miles running, one mile walking). Today is day 3, and it was back to the gym for leg day. I'm going to weigh myself on days 30, 60, and 100. I'll post updates if anyone is interested.

Starting weight: 223.4
:thumbup:

But while the streak is the driver, if your body is screaming for a day off at some point - take it.  The most important day in an exercise regimen that too many don't take is the rest day.  It's both how you make progress and minimize the likelihood of an injury.

What are your goal weights?
Tough to say.  I haven't been at my goal weight in a LONG time.  Not sure I can do it any more at 46.  I would like to get under 170, but this time around I am not thinking about a goal weight.  I am just thinking about trying to eat better and move more.  Short term goal is to have my pants not fit so tightly.  And I would just like to see the scale number trend down over long periods of time.  I just looked at the myfitnesspal long term chart and it is ugly.

Tough to say.  I haven't been at my goal weight in a LONG time.  Not sure I can do it any more at 46.  I would like to get under 170, but this time around I am not thinking about a goal weight.  I am just thinking about trying to eat better and move more.  Short term goal is to have my pants not fit so tightly.  And I would just like to see the scale number trend down over long periods of time.  I just looked at the myfitnesspal long term chart and it is ugly.
Yes!  Eat clean, rest more, stress less, and move dammit.  Do those 4 things and the numbers take care of themselves.

:thumbup:

But while the streak is the driver, if your body is screaming for a day off at some point - take it.  The most important day in an exercise regimen that too many don't take is the rest day.  It's both how you make progress and minimize the likelihood of an injury.
I’ve considered that. My plan for rest days is to still cover some miles, but I’ll just walk it. 

Users who are viewing this thread