What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

This is still going on? Figured it would be over by now. Otis, I'd love a picture of your potato stash please.

Enjoying a steak dinner with a side of sour cream mashed potatoes tonight?

6'4 175, that sounds healthy :lmao:  Maybe for a toothpick.

Those charts are stooooopid beyond belief, I'm labeled as obese in most of them.

Otis, hasn't your immediate goal been 210 for like the last 5 years?

This is still going on? Figured it would be over by now. Otis, I'd love a picture of your potato stash please.

Those charts are stooooopid beyond belief, I'm labeled as obese in most of them.

Get out tater hater.

Believe me, I don't want to do this dinner.  It near sparked WWIII here.  I've decided that letting my guard down for one meal will be OK, provided I don't go off the rails and freebase a cheesecake.
This is a bunch of crap.   I feel cheated.   We're usually guaranteed at least a few days of good commentary before you throw in the towel.  Its not the same once you start cheating.  The passion is lost.   

Yes.  Hence the 'tates.

I feel like ####. 

Huge headache

Logged 20,557 steps today. 

None of my potatoes came out theway I wanted them to

This is a bunch of crap.   I feel cheated.   We're usually guaranteed at least a few days of good commentary before you throw in the towel.  Its not the same once you start cheating.  The passion is lost.   
Did you not read?  The potato book says he's allowed to have a couple of potato less cheat days.

Jeez, he'll jump right back on the potato wagon I'm sure.

xulf said:
Jesus, get a room guys  :lmao:
We have one, and you're in it. Now, turn off that light and grab a beanbag chair full of dehydrated potatoe and sit down. We're passing combustibles clockwise, and  ingestibles counter-clockwise. Beer is in the fridge. Next to the potatoes. Plum wine is in this 2,000 year old ceramic flask, but you have to tell a story to get it handed to you. Welcome.

sorry for the hijack. You are right. I have unabashed man-love for anyone who can turn an eloquent phrase. But, that's not why we're here. HAVE YOU LOOKED AT OTIS?!?!?

This book Maurile recommended, The Potato Hack, is pretty great. The digestive and anti-cancer benefits here seem tremendous.  Kind of makes one wonder why we all aren't on this diet (or at least, perhaps we should be).

Also, I'm breaking the potato fast (and maybe my over two week alcohol fast) on Friday night, to attend a dinner I've been roped into.  Sounds like that is OK--The Potato Hack talks about these being 3 or 5 day "hacks," so I'll get in a full five days, one meal off, then back on it.  For my meal off, I'll be reasonable and aim for some meat and greens; I'll plan to limit alcohol to just a couple, if that.  I figure I'll have to survive this way in the real world eventually anyway, might as well get used to occasional normal meals.

Tempted to just order up a plain baked potato and a water, but that could make for a brutal few hours...
Make it yours, Otis! 210 is in the bag. You're a mean, lean potato-eating machine.

Any books on people who ate nothing but spuds for like 75-80 years?
You mean like a book about pretty much every inhabitant of remote towns in the Peruvian Andes? The inhabitants who live in some of the most sere and desolate terrain in the world and remain active self-sufficient into their 80s and 90s, with things like heart disease and diabetes and osteoporosis and prostate and breast cancer practically unheard of? Are those the people you mean?

:lmao:  nice touch on the shuke meeting agenda. 
I missed that gem, earlier.

I feel like ####. 

Huge headache

Logged 20,557 steps today. 

None of my potatoes came out theway I wanted them to
What'd you eat today? How many calories? 20k steps is a lot. If you are seriously calorie deficient, you could be hypoglycemic. No BS, if you have not eaten much today, and clocked enough steps to be that active, grab a piece of fruit or something ASAP. Don't want you passing out or worse.

Bought the non stick silicone sheet for roasting the taters this morning.  No oil today, about 4.5 lbs of potatoes.  The roasted were far better than the boiled + browned in a skillet.

I am pretty sure I could do this forever if it weren't for the wife.  She effing hates it when I don't eat what she is eating.

I'm sure at some point on the weekend I will have a couple beers with friends, maybe even grill a steak - oh well, I'll get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My evening patrol through the kitchen just emphasized for me why this works. 

Normally I would grab a cookie or two out of the cookie jar.  Maybe some chips. Too unhealthy?  Handful of pretzels can't hurt. 

Except tonight I kept hearing Pros in my head asking "yeah, but, is it a potato?"  So I finally got to the fridge and saw the potatoes and thought "meh, I'm good."  So instead I'm having a seltzer. 

Pros, stupid question from a guy who doesn't cook. What's stopping me from slicing these spuds into French fry shape, throwing them in the oven until they brown, sprinkling a little salt on them, and basically just eating French fries to all kingdom come?   Will they not brown on the outside without some sort of grease, is that the issue?  Because I have no interesting in eating a potatoe at the moment, but some crispy potatoes would be wonderful. Hell, I'd go for crispy burnt potato skins at this point  

TIA 

Pros, stupid question from a guy who doesn't cook. What's stopping me from slicing these spuds into French fry shape, throwing them in the oven until they brown, sprinkling a little salt on them, and basically just eating French fries to all kingdom come?   Will they not brown on the outside without some sort of grease, is that the issue?  Because I have no interesting in eating a potatoe at the moment, but some crispy potatoes would be wonderful. Hell, I'd go for crispy burnt potato skins at this point  

TIA 
This is what I did today.. awesome. Sliced em up.. little salt and pepper on one side (very light), little fajita seasoning on the other,  So good.  Made as many as i could fit on a big cookie sheet.

Just use parchment paper or buy a silicone sheet.  Otherwise you will need oil to keep them from sticking.

If you use a little oil the FFA-too-scared-to-try-it-themselves gang will jump all over you.

My evening patrol through the kitchen just emphasized for me why this works. 

Normally I would grab a cookie or two out of the cookie jar.  Maybe some chips. Too unhealthy?  Handful of pretzels can't hurt. 

Except tonight I kept hearing Pros in my head asking "yeah, but, is it a potato?"  So I finally got to the fridge and saw the potatoes and thought "meh, I'm good."  So instead I'm having a seltzer. 

TIA 
Yes.

This is what I did today.. awesome. Sliced em up.. little salt and pepper on one side (very light), little fajita seasoning on the other,  So good.  Made as many as i could fit on a big cookie sheet.

Just use parchment paper or buy a silicone sheet.  Otherwise you will need oil to keep them from sticking.
Do they brown and get crispy without oil? 

If so im struggling to figure out why I wouldnt eat this 5 meals a day?

TIA 
French fry recipe just decided I am making these tonight, will let you know how they turn out. But already cooked potatoes, sliced about 1/2" thick and placed on a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat, turn out really crispy baked at 400 for around 15-20 minutes. Turn halfway through. Sometimes, I cheat and use the PAM EVOO spray, to get them extra crispy.

trying to decide now, if I want to use vegan nacho cheese, or mushroom gravy to top my fries, or just do plain. I fasted all day today, and was thinking I'd go until tomorrow, but am in the mood for fries, now.

A certain amount of coconut oil is ok in some circles, in others it's a complete no-no.  I'm not sure how much you can use without going over some sort of spud diet line.  My guess is about a tsp but I'm just guessing.  I'm sure someone has it spelled out somewhere.

Yea they did.  15 minutes, turned em, 15 minutes.. 425 degrees.

Not as nice and pretty as they were with the bit of oil.. but tasted just as good.

I had two baked potatoes, just ate the white flaky part with some salt &pepper with a bit of siracha. I'm full and it was oddly satisfying

I totally spudded out.  Had fish and chips, horseradish cole slaw, some of my wifes's potato/blue cheese/bacon thing, half a bottle of wine, and a beer.  

Feeling lighter already.

French fry recipe just decided I am making these tonight, will let you know how they turn out. But already cooked potatoes, sliced about 1/2" thick and placed on a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat, turn out really crispy baked at 400 for around 15-20 minutes. Turn halfway through. Sometimes, I cheat and use the PAM EVOO spray, to get them extra crispy.

trying to decide now, if I want to use vegan nacho cheese, or mushroom gravy to top my fries, or just do plain. I fasted all day today, and was thinking I'd go until tomorrow, but am in the mood for fries, now.
This looks awesome.  IN

Hello, old friend, we meet again. But this time it is who have the upper hand. (Talking to the ice cream, getzlaf, not trying to freak you out.)

side note: 3 frozen bananas and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of almond milk blended in a VitaMix until smooth, tastes a lot like Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, without the walnuts and chocolate chips. Very acceptable replacement.

Hello, old friend, we meet again. But this time it is who have the upper hand. (Talking to the ice cream, getzlaf, not trying to freak you out.)

side note: 3 frozen bananas and 1/4 - 1/2 cup of almond milk blended in a VitaMix until smooth, tastes a lot like Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, without the walnuts and chocolate chips. Very acceptable replacement.
They sell millions of these potatoes at the fair each year.  Have yet to try one.

Are you not allowed to switch to sweet potatoes? 
I believe they're acceptable, according to The Potato Hack.  I'm trying not to use up all the exciting options just yet and, in any event, they don't have quite the health benefits of plain old white (or yellow, or red, or blue) potatoes.  

What'd you eat today? How many calories? 20k steps is a lot. If you are seriously calorie deficient, you could be hypoglycemic. No BS, if you have not eaten much today, and clocked enough steps to be that active, grab a piece of fruit or something ASAP. Don't want you passing out or worse.
I had one baked potato for breakfast, 3 for lunch and then 7 baby potatoes for dinner

Along with the headache, I felt like I needed to throw up (which I did not). My wife said it was a migraine. Was the worst head pain I have ever had. Anyway, woke up and feel fine. Decided to bake 3 potatoes this morning. Ate one and will eat the other two as the day goes on. 

If I eat a piece of fruit, does that stall the process at all

I had one baked potato for breakfast, 3 for lunch and then 7 baby potatoes for dinner

Along with the headache, I felt like I needed to throw up (which I did not). My wife said it was a migraine. Was the worst head pain I have ever had. Anyway, woke up and feel fine. Decided to bake 3 potatoes this morning. Ate one and will eat the other two as the day goes on. 

Glad you're feeling better, Acer! The fruit won't really stall anything, just not optimal because it's more calorie dense than potatoes and with al the fructose, it isn't as mundane as potatoes. For all the stuff MT said about re-training your tastebuds/neural pathways. I thought I remembered you saying earlier that you had only eaten 1 potato, so my first thought was hypoglycemia- at that point, didn't care about the diet, just wanted to make sure you were OK.

They were good, not great. definitely crispy, but a little dry. The mayo and the ketchup made them delicious.
Reading this thread yesterday, and knew if I was going to try this, I needed some kind of "fry" to get me through.  I found this recipe online as well and tried it last night.  I cut them and rinsed, then boiled for 5 minutes.  Used cayenne, garlic salt and parsley to coat (no flour) baked on parchment paper as suggested.  Once done, I sprinkled with vinegar and a little salt.  These were really good.  Thinking about trying this hack every once in a while to see if it increases the weight loss.  Started on WW in February and down 28 pounds so far.

ETA: It was this recipe I used as a template, I thought they were excellent, A little dry, but the vinegar helped.  Would have loved ketchup, but avoiding the sugar.  Maybe mustard instead of vinegar as well.

French fry recipe 

Reading this thread yesterday, and knew if I was going to try this, I needed some kind of "fry" to get me through.  I found this recipe online as well and tried it last night.  I cut them and rinsed, then boiled for 5 minutes.  Used cayenne, garlic salt and parsley to coat (no flour) baked on parchment paper as suggested.  Once done, I sprinkled with vinegar and a little salt.  These were really good.  Thinking about trying this hack every once in a while to see if it increases the weight loss.  Started on WW in February and down 28 pounds so far.

ETA: It was this recipe I used as a template, I thought they were excellent, A little dry, but the vinegar helped.  Would have loved ketchup, but avoiding the sugar.  Maybe mustard instead of vinegar as well.

French fry recipe 
Sounds incredible.  And welcome aboard!

(Send your post to Mrs. O with the hopes of her whipping this up tonight .. though these are approaching idiot/Otis-level cooking instructions, I'm starting to think even I could do this stuff).

Sounds incredible.  And welcome aboard!

(Send your post to Mrs. O with the hopes of her whipping this up tonight .. though these are approaching idiot/Otis-level cooking instructions, I'm starting to think even I could do this stuff).
I never thought they would be any good without oil, and getting them not to stick and getting nice and brown are usually really tough, but I think pre-boiling them and then placing them on parchment makes a big difference.

Think I am going to try this for 5 days and see the results.  Start Wednesday.  Picked up a couple of bags of salt potatoes.  Usually love these even cold the next day.  Between the salt potatoes, the fries and then some baked, maybe I can make it 5 days.  Really need a hashbrown/homefry recipe for breakfast.  Going to experiment tonight on some homefries/hashbrowns in the oven similar to the fry recipe and see if something works.

This diet isn't some black magic.  You are effectively doing the same thing that ketosis does, but instead of avoiding carbs you are avoiding fat.  So things like fruit don't matter except insofar as just adding calories.  

When you go on a VLF diet it does (eventually) sort of mess with your ability to hydrate. Like any situation best course of action is to always drink a #### ton of water, and then drink some more.  If you were on a lower carb diet, for example, pushing onto this with high GI foods you could have simply dehydrated yourself by pushing water into your newly found glyogen stores, but I doubt that really happened unless you went LCHF to VLF hardcore.

French fry recipe 
Chuck looks like SNL Pat's sibling

https://imgur.com/a/q3SoM

Yup. That's cold boiled potatoes and some adobo seasoning.  I'll nuke it to make it edible. Weirdest thing though -- even though I haven't eaten much in the past couple days, I'm just not that hungry. This whole resetting the appetite/palette seems to be working. 

:shrug:  
Yeah, we know you're not hungry.   We've been down this road before.    That's why we're here.   

Users who are viewing this thread