Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread—Otis is running, planking and rowing challenges, k4 is killing it, fruits and veggies!

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

day 5 of both plank challenges done.  i officially hate the reverse plank

Wait, I did day six today (which was a rest day thank god).  I thought we started the same day.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Wait, I did day six today (which was a rest day thank god).  I thought we started the same day.

I’m on 6 as well. Didn’t know there were rest days.

50 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

I’m on 6 as well. Didn’t know there were rest days.

Oh, the rest days are on the app that DA RAIDERS and I are doing in addition to the "add 10 seconds every day" thing.  I did the 60 seconds this morning, but had a rest day on the app.

6 hours ago, krista4 said:

i had to find the app, remember?  so i was a day late, starting that one.  and to keep things simple, i just restarted the straight up low plank challenge.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, Walking Boot said:

I'm 5'10", and a couple years back, topped out at 223. Going potato for a while got me down to 185, then hit a plateau. Casual Keto got me down another 10 to 175, but I couldn't quite hit my goal of 165. Eventually bad habits and stress eating snuck back in and I made it back to 195 earlier this year.

9/2: 184 

9/9: 181

9/16: 179

9/23: 180.5

9/30: 177.5

10/7: 179.5

10/14: 177.0

10/21: 176.0

10/28: 177.5

11/4: 173.5 

11/11: 173.5. Well, at least it wasn't my every-other-week pattern where my weight goes up. Not unexpected at this point. Hopefully we see some more movement downward next week.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:02 AM, DA RAIDERS said:

What’s the starting duration?

Do a plank everyday, starting duration to be determined. Increase the time, every day, by 5-10 seconds, until you hit 5 minutes. 

Plank challenge

i did a low low plank last time. Low or high?

seems pointless to do this for longer than 60 seconds.  If you can hold a low plank for 60s start moving your arms out in front of you and then start adding plates to your back.  

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

seems pointless to do this for longer than 60 seconds.  If you can hold a low plank for 60s start moving your arms out in front of you and then start adding plates to your back.  

Pretty sure most people will fall when trying to do that while planking.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Pretty sure most people will fall when trying to do that while planking.

I mean getting your elbows out past your forehead is a good way to dramatically raise the difficulty.  It shouldn't cause balance issues if a simple plank is mastered.

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I mean getting your elbows out past your forehead is a good way to dramatically raise the difficulty.  It shouldn't cause balance issues if a simple plank is mastered.

I know what you meant.  :kicksrock:

Sorry, I'll try not to joke anymore. 

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

there are two challenges.  one involves all sorts of variations.  it's equally pointless to run farther than a mile.  one should just carry weights and stick to a mile.  go ahead and do a 5 minute plank.  let me know how it goes.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:34 PM, Terminalxylem said:

Bad guess. I lifted consistently for over 20 years, but stopped a couple years ago, when I realized I was wasting my time and destroying my joints for vanity’s sake. Though I’m not as muscular as I once was, I still exercise and have adequate muscle tone.

I guess whatever motivates people shouldn’t be discouraged, but I’ve seen too many guys fall into the trap of overdoing weights for “beach muscles” and injuring themselves in the process. Especially as you age, the emphasis should be on cardiovascular health and flexibility, with primarily body weight exercises emphasizing core strength over stuff like bench and curls.

I think you have a duty to look decent for your significant other, but otherwise, nobody really cares about the gun show.

Blasphemy 

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

there are two challenges.  one involves all sorts of variations.  it's equally pointless to run farther than a mile.  one should just carry weights and stick to a mile.  go ahead and do a 5 minute plank.  let me know how it goes.

apples/oranges 

Here's a good video on the topic with sources linked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0y8D5rFDc

For side planks, I strongly prefer the movement where you take the arm that not supporting your body and starting with the arm pointing to the ceiling, reach as far as you can between your body and the floor.  A movement like that seems a lot more beneficial then just remaining static while supporting your weight.  

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

apples/oranges 

Here's a good video on the topic with sources linked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0y8D5rFDc

Just busting your balls.  

There is anecdotal evidence to support almost anything.  

People in here are simply trying to be less fat and a bit healthier.  Any exercise, , more or less, will help those goals.  The incremental challenges are easy and fun. 

:shrug:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Fair point

Obviously he was trying to be silly, but I really don't understand how some guys (much more so than women IMO) are completely unapologetic about letting themselves go. It's one thing if you were big-BMI'ed during courtship, or if she's packed on the pounds as well, but how does one reconcile expecting their wife to look healthy while simultaneously ignoring personal heft? 

4 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Obviously he was trying to be silly, but I really don't understand how some guys (much more so than women IMO) are completely unapologetic about letting themselves go. It's one thing if you were big-BMI'ed during courtship, or if she's packed on the pounds as well, but how does one reconcile expecting their wife to look healthy while simultaneously ignoring personal heft? 

I honestly thought that he was commenting on the 2nd part you said.   I don't think most wives care if their husbands put on some pounds as long as they're bringing in a hefty paycheck.   If nothing else, it just makes them look better when they're out in public and its less likely that another women will be attracted to their husbands.

Edited by NutterButter

6 hours ago, culdeus said:

Maybe I'm not understanding the technique, but adding plates to you back while in a partial plank seems like a recipe for injury.

1 minute ago, Terminalxylem said:

Maybe I'm not understanding the technique, but adding plates to you back while in a partial plank seems like a recipe for injury.

Sounds like a crossfit thing.

Just now, NutterButter said:

I honestly thought that he was commenting on the 2nd part you said.   I honestly don't think most wives care if their husbands put on some pounds as long as they're bringing in a hefty paycheck.   If nothing else, it just makes them look better when they're out in public and its less likely that another women will be attracted to their husbands.

While it's true women are stereotypically less superficial about their partner's looks, I still think they care. It  might not be purely for maintaining physical attraction, rather health (and earning potential?).

Just now, Terminalxylem said:

While it's true women are stereotypically less superficial about their partner's looks, I still think they care. It  might not be purely for maintaining physical attraction, rather health (and earning potential?).

Considering that 66% of women are overweight or worse, I'm not sure how much they even care about their own bodies let alone their husbands.

8 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Considering that 66% of women are overweight or worse, I'm not sure how much they even care about their own bodies let alone their husbands.

You're right. My perspective is skewed living on an island populated by Asian women, whose BMIs are seldom in Otis' zip code.

27 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

I don't think most wives care if their husbands put on some pounds as long as they're bringing in a hefty paycheck.

Good lord.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

So like I said been up and down, just got back from vacation and started to work out with daughter who is running high school winter track (she is a freshman and never ran  track before)...

Day 1 - ran half mile and 5 - 100 yard sprints...

Jesus I'm out of shape

Edited by belljr

12 minutes ago, belljr said:

So like I said been up and down, just got back from vacation and started to work out with daughter who is running high school winter track (she is a freshman and never ran  track before)...

Day 1 - ran half mile and 5 - 100 yard sprints...

Jesus I'm out of shape

5 sprints? Just wait till tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

A few days of IF (couldn’t sustain the full day fast) and a good run last night and I feel back in the groove.  Still no planks but so :bag: there.

LET’S GO!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

On November 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM, culdeus said:

I'm up to a 95 second plank Once I hit 120 seconds, I'm going to inch my arms forward.   Thanks for the good info.   

I have also being doing some crunches and leg raises after the plank.   I need to work on my core and protect my suspect back.    

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, MAC_32 said:

5 sprints? Just wait till tomorrow. 

Yesterday was haf-mile and 3 - 100 yard sprints

Still fat and out of shape....

But slowly getting there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, belljr said:

Yesterday was haf-mile and 3 - 100 yard sprints

Still fat and out of shape....

But slowly getting there

I'm just impressed you didn't wake up the day after and didn't say 'ow.' No schtick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I'm just impressed you didn't wake up the day after and didn't say 'ow.' No schtick.

Oh i was sore but manageable - 

I was a pretty good athlete through college and early adulthood and a workout warrior.

I was in VERY good shape in college.  I'll never be a guy that when i get back into shape will say I'm in the best shape of my life.  :)

I know WHAT to do. Even if the times and studies have changed a little.

I'm just almost 50, 30 pounds heavier and literally dont work out anymore....

So its going to be a slow turn.  I am trying but I just don't dedicate myself enough tbh....   

Edited by belljr
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

What's the latest on the Otis vs. Zow face-off?  Who's winning?

@Otis

@Zow

Some of us have to keep this world turning. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

59 minutes ago, Zow said:

Some of us have to keep this world turning. 

It's happened!  You've gotten so large that the world now revolves around you :mellow:

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, xulf said:

It's happened!  You've gotten so large that the world now revolves around you :mellow:

Awesome post.  

3 hours ago, eoMMan said:

What's the latest on the Otis vs. Zow face-off?  Who's winning?

@Otis

@Zow

Neither as was predicted the last few years.   

Speaking of not winning, my week has been a disaster.  Well, mostly just Wednesday and Thursday were, but they were such epic disasters that nothing could be done to salvage this week from their damage.  Stupid San Francisco and all its great restaurants and wine.  Luckily for me, I can't weigh in Monday (still traveling and no access to a scale), so I'll have a week to try to make up for it.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Yeah I've gone completely off the rails this week and this weekend probably won't get better. Oh well.

You and I seem to have been on a similar timeline and trajectory, so it’s fitting that we go off the rails the same week.  I should report that, despite my general piggishness this week, I’ve at least kept up on the planking.  Day 11 in the books today.

How are some of the success stories like Gawain, DW, and others doing?

You all are letting November happen. This is when most of us get fat. Don't be a statistic. If you are already aware of problems ahead then game plan around it. Don't be mentally soft and check out. 

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

You all are letting November happen. This is when most of us get fat. Don't be a statistic. If you are already aware of problems ahead then game plan around it. Don't be mentally soft and check out. 

I’m really struggling mentally - I absolutely know it’s the time change and weather.  I’ve managed to keep running and have a long run planned for tomorrow morning - that’s keeping me in the game right now, along with IF.

Meh, November is having no effect on me.  Being on a business trip for 11 days during which Mr. krista joined me for the crucial San Francisco portion killed me, which I mentioned in advance would happen.  Kept with the planks along the way as well as keeping the cardio up, and am right back at the better eating today.  :shrug: 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 

Advice welcomed. 

:lmao:

too bad you live on the other side of the country.  I’m doing hot yoga in the morning and this new version of @Otis would freaking love it.  No better scenery than a hot yoga class, at the most expensive gym in south Orange County, on a Saturday morning. Bonus!  I get a hell of a workout and sweat my ### off. Last week, While doing my plank challenges, I had 3-4 ladies come up and ask me what I was doing. Good times. 

Edited by DA RAIDERS

6 hours ago, Otis said:

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 

Advice welcomed. 

The best exercise plan (like diet) is one you can maintain. Body weight exercises and running are a good combo, but will only work if you enjoy them to some extent.