What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

I've done it, but generally just for 1-2 days at a time. I'm undecided on whether to join you guys in the near future for a longer run. (It wouldn't be for at least another week, though. I've got perishable food to eat before then that I don't want to throw away.)
What are the results like for 1-2 days?  I just hit my all time high weight.  Been on a bulk for better part of 2 years and lifting heavy.  Might want to see if I can uncover some visible abs.  Worried I'd end up opting for the full body waxing at that point though.

I've typically lost a pound a day, like most people. I doubt that rate would be maintained past the first few days, but it's not just water weight because it doesn't come back on quickly when switching back to normal foods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've typically lost a pound a day, like most people. I doubt that rate would be maintained past the first few days, but it's not just water weight because it doesn't come back on quickly when switching back to normal foods.
So eating nothing but potatoes caused you to lose a pound a day?  And it wasn't mainly water weight?  Were you running marathons those days?

Do you know the science behind this?  I did it the other day (also had a couple slices of leftover carne asada) and was over 2 lbs. less the next day and stayed there.  Doesn't seem to make sense.

Do you know the science behind this?  I did it the other day (also had a couple slices of leftover carne asada) and was over 2 lbs. less the next day and stayed there.  Doesn't seem to make sense.

I don't think it is science. I think it is magic. Eating potatoes to satiety seems to have about the same effect on weight as a water-only fast, which really doesn't make sense, but the scale says what the scale says.

I wanted to offer Otis some opportunities to avoid the pitfalls inherent in an effort such as this.  One of the biggest is maintaining over vacations.  I thought I'd look, therefore, into potato-centric vacations, you know, somewhere where the potato is so celebrated that it will dominate the local cuisine.  Sadly Google is not as powerful as I had hoped.  I did, however, learn of Potatopia.  it is going to be the next big craze in franchise eateries, or so they say.

Otis, there's a franchise near you.

Now granted, they do have some dishes that might not technically qualify for your diet, but they are dedicated to the potato.
Horrible name.  If anyone is interested, I'm currently selling "Murphies Law" franchises.  Better hurry though - they're selling like potatoes.

I don't think it is science. I think it is magic. Eating potatoes to satiety seems to have about the same effect on weight as a water-only fast, which really doesn't make sense, but the scale says what the scale says.
The Potato Hack book gets into some of the science, but it doesn't totally seem to add up. The big takeaway for me was that these have tons of RS (resistant starch), which is like fiber but with a bunch of other good side effects for your gut chemistry. 

Maurile, if it's that effective, why hasn't this been your diet of choice permanently?  I'm not seeing a downside here. AND WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS EARLIER???

The Potato Hack book gets into some of the science, but it doesn't totally seem to add up. The big takeaway for me was that these have tons of RS (resistant starch), which is like fiber but with a bunch of other good side effects for your gut chemistry. 

Maurile, if it's that effective, why hasn't this been your diet of choice permanently?  I'm not seeing a downside here. AND WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS EARLIER???
Hint because its not real.  You don't go into a 3,500 calorie deficit a day while eating potatoes...unless you weigh 500 lbs.  

Maurile also has a great roulette strategy you might be interested in.

So it boils down to not being able to eat enough potatoes to maintain your weight. 

In that case there's no need for this 'hack' but just eat a large portion of potatoes with every meal.  Seems like potatoes got a bad name weight-wise because people fried them and loaded them up with butter and sour cream.

This could be huge.

My wife gets pissed when I don't eat what she makes for dinner.  Tonight she made a "Taco Skillet".. beef, corn, onions, salsa, taco seasoning, water.  So I boiled some potatoes, took some of the broth from her skillet and poured it over my taters.  Spicy yummyness.

And she hasn't said a word. :thumbup:

I'm not going to go back and look for links, but I've mentioned the potato hack multiple times over the last few years in various threads, I'm pretty sure including yours.

I'm not going to go back and look for links, but I've mentioned the potato hack multiple times over the last few years in various threads, I'm pretty sure including yours.

Actually, now that the search function works ... here are some posts from the Otis diet fad of the month thread: 1, 2, 3.

I was not going to weigh myself until Monday but with all this talk of 1-2 pounds per day, I needed to check. Partly because I still feel crappy and bloated. 

Just jumped on the scale and I have gained .4 pounds. 

I think I'm jumping ship. I feel awful and gaining weight

You can try a different diet good buddy.  I won't think less of you.  I'll snicker when I see you in the hallways, but that's just because I thought of something funny someone else said to me the other day.

- Spud

Really pumped to hop on the scale in the morning.  Very curious to see if this keeps moving downward so quickly.  This can't possibly continue like this.

And by the way, for whomever was the meathead earlier in the thread who was laughing that we weren't working out during this, I've been doing some push-ups and shoulder and arm work with resistance bands while I screw around on conference calls at home at night.  Feels great.  

I was not going to weigh myself until Monday but with all this talk of 1-2 pounds per day, I needed to check. Partly because I still feel crappy and bloated. 

It's not for everybody. You might be sensitive to nightshades or to something in potatoes specifically, and maybe you haven't noticed it before because you've never eaten so many potatoes in a row before.

It's possible that something else is going on and that you'd get better results if you tried again in a month ... but it's also possible that this just won't work for you, unfortunately.

There's certainly no shame in experimenting and learning, including learning what doesn't work for you.

Maybe this quote by Winston Churchill will help:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue eating potatoes that counts."

Had fries for dinner, although we first tried one from one of the recipes in this thread, and they were kind of "meh."  Then my wife made them instead with the spices we use to make those baked chick pea treats we got I think from somewhere in the FFA, and they were way better with that stuff on it.  A little crispy, good flavor.  They could probably have gone a little longer in the oven, next time.

But overall, solid stuff.

xulf said:
Hint because its not real.  You don't go into a 3,500 calorie deficit a day while eating potatoes...unless you weigh 500 lbs.  
Whatever it is, it's real, and it works. I started the day after Easter. after 5 weeks went off full spud and started adding in other food, kept the same ratios of 80% calories from starch (potatoes, rice, wheat, millet, corn, quinoa) 10% protein, and less than 10% total calories from fat. Then went back to full spud every other day, with some IF thrown in. Down from 284 (weighed on dr's scale) to 245 week 5 ( same dr's scale) to 231 this morning (home scale I bought after week 5). went from tight 42" waist to slipping into an old pair of 36" cargo shorts yesterday. Had blood tests done after 5 weeks- BG normalized, BP lower than its been in years, and cholesterol/triglyceride numbers are heart-attack proof. I'm not even thinking about changing anything until I get down to 185, then I'll re-evaluate what diet I want to continue to maintain my body. If my set point ends up being lower, I might just roll with it and see where it ends up. 

I could do this diet forever. I don't crave crap food anymore. I appreciate raw carrots and celery and the subtle tastes of a lot of foods now. Sometimes I cook stuff for my kids and it smells really good- grilled cheese, hot dogs, we still do pizza night every Friday from a local joint.but I feel awesome, like I went in a time machine and got my body back from 20 years ago. I sleep better, I have more energy, and my mood is better, to the point I am weaning off anti-depressants (with MD supervision).

i know it sounds weird and crazy and like a snake-oil pitch, but the only thing I care about is helping people get their lives back. If I did it, anybody can do it. Hell, I talked to one of my patients today and she said she is going to start doing it when she gets discharged. I told her I'd buy the books for her. I am becoming the apostle of potatoes, Johnny spudseed. All because I got results from something so damn easy, it doesn't make sense.

and Acer, don't feel bad if you quit, but just know I went through feeling really lousy the first 3-4 days, too. It passed, and that's when the hunger pains stopped, and I noticed I was never hungry anymore. Don't watch the scale, either. It's easy to shift a good 5 lbs. in a day, up or down. Just focus on getting right, and the results will happen.

Whatever it is, it's real, and it works. I started the day after Easter. after 5 weeks went off full spud and started adding in other food, kept the same ratios of 80% calories from starch (potatoes, rice, wheat, millet, corn, quinoa) 10% protein, and less than 10% total calories from fat. Then went back to full spud every other day, with some IF thrown in. Down from 284 (weighed on dr's scale) to 245 week 5 ( same dr's scale) to 231 this morning (home scale I bought after week 5). went from tight 42" waist to slipping into an old pair of 36" cargo shorts yesterday. Had blood tests done after 5 weeks- BG normalized, BP lower than its been in years, and cholesterol/triglyceride numbers are heart-attack proof. I'm not even thinking about changing anything until I get down to 185, then I'll re-evaluate what diet I want to continue to maintain my body. If my set point ends up being lower, I might just roll with it and see where it ends up. 

I could do this diet forever. I don't crave crap food anymore. I appreciate raw carrots and celery and the subtle tastes of a lot of foods now. Sometimes I cook stuff for my kids and it smells really good- grilled cheese, hot dogs, we still do pizza night every Friday from a local joint.but I feel awesome, like I went in a time machine and got my body back from 20 years ago. I sleep better, I have more energy, and my mood is better, to the point I am weaning off anti-depressants (with MD supervision).

i know it sounds weird and crazy and like a snake-oil pitch, but the only thing I care about is helping people get their lives back. If I did it, anybody can do it. Hell, I talked to one of my patients today and she said she is going to start doing it when she gets discharged. I told her I'd buy the books for her. I am becoming the apostle of potatoes, Johnny spudseed. All because I got results from something so damn easy, it doesn't make sense.

and Acer, don't feel bad if you quit, but just know I went through feeling really lousy the first 3-4 days, too. It passed, and that's when the hunger pains stopped, and I noticed I was never hungry anymore. Don't watch the scale, either. It's easy to shift a good 5 lbs. in a day, up or down. Just focus on getting right, and the results will happen.
:thumbup:  

You're like potato Jesus. 

225.6   --  Surprising I didn't drop more, I probably ate like 800 calories all day yesterday.   Still it's almost half a pound, I'll take it.

Body fat decrease to 22.2%

On the subjective side, I woke up this morning with boundless energy.  Sprung out of bed at 6am feeling like a million bucks and still not hungry.  The way these things resolve hunger truly is magic.  It's like I don't need to eat anymore, but feel great.

Staying the course.

Thought I'd add that oven roasted Italian potatoes are amazing.. 

Red potatoes quartered or halved (size dependent) in glass baking pan
Usually toss in a bit of olive oil but that seems verboten on this diet.... 
Liberal dusting of salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, basil

Place in broiler on 2nd rack from the top and broil 2-3 mins... stir... repeat until nicely done, lightly charred. 
Dip in ketchup or simliar sauce if you wish. So tasty. 

Thought I'd add that oven roasted Italian potatoes are amazing.. 

Red potatoes quartered or halved (size dependent) in glass baking pan
Usually toss in a bit of olive oil but that seems verboten on this diet.... 
Liberal dusting of salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, basil

Place in broiler on 2nd rack from the top and broil 2-3 mins... stir... repeat until nicely done, lightly charred. 
Dip in ketchup or simliar sauce if you wish. So tasty. 

Yeah, sounds amazing, but can't do it with that dress-up on this diet.  But eventually I may add little things like that after I hit my goals.

You should join in the fun, GB.  This is working.  Srsly. 

Yeah, sounds amazing, but can't do it with that dress-up on this diet.  But eventually I may add little things like that after I hit my goals.

You should join in the fun, GB.  This is working.  Srsly. 
Only issue is with the olive oil, no? Just skip that and line baking dish with parchment and should be fine IMO. 

One problem -- I forgot to bring my boiled potatoes with me today for lunch.  So that's no breakfast and no lunch.  I can press through till dinner probably -- I do that pretty regularly, though I've never done it on such low calorie days in the prior days.  I am sure worst case I can go downstairs and find some place here that will give me a couple plain baked potatoes with some salt and pepper...

Dumb question for Maurile and the smart people -- is it OK if I chew gum with sugar in it during a diet like this?  The calories are so low, and I can't imagine I'm ingesting a ton of sugar, but if it's going to much up the progress I'll need to stop that (I usually keep plenty of chewing gum in my drawer at work during the day, helps distract me and keep the appetite in check).

Is everyone doing fasting until lunch? I have my lunch potatoes beside me and have felt about 5 minutes away from tearing into them all morning.

I was down 2.5 lbs this AM but that's likely more due to eating/drinking like a crazy person on the weekend, most of it would come off anyway as I ate normally again.

Is everyone doing fasting until lunch? I have my lunch potatoes beside me and have felt about 5 minutes away from tearing into them all morning.

I was down 2.5 lbs this AM but that's likely more due to eating/drinking like a crazy person on the weekend, most of it would come off anyway as I ate normally again.
Bigger breakfast, medium lunch, smaller dinner.

Give it a shot, it works.

Users who are viewing this thread